News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Trauma

Cast member was directing monorail vehicles while eating dinner off property , 21 year old pilot CM killed in incident. Civil trial never happened. Disney and family reached settlement.
How are you directing monorails from dinner off property?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

MagicHappens1971

Cast member was directing monorail vehicles while eating dinner off property , 21 year old pilot CM killed in incident. Civil trial never happened. Disney and family reached settlement.
What do you mean by this? All I was saying is that, yes it was a freak accident, but 14 years ago I would’ve welcomed more oversight. The state was clearly not interested. I’m also confused by the cast member directing monorails thing from off property

Dranth

Useless information to be sure but I was bored.

There has been one death on the monorail I know of and a quick google search put estimates at over a billion riders lifetime. Using that as a base line you are looking at less than a 0.0000001% chance of being killed on the monorail to date. That is orders of magnitude lower than your chance to die from a shark attack.

Just about the only thing less likely to kill you is a shark attack while on the actual monorail.

tissandtully

There has been one death on the monorail I know of and a quick google search put estimates at over a billion riders lifetime. Using that as a base line you are looking at less than a 0.0000001% chance of being killed on the monorail to date. That is orders of magnitude lower than your chance to die from a shark attack.

Just about the only thing less likely to kill you is a shark attack while on the actual monorail.
that would be a great addition to The Seas

Lilofan

What do you mean by this? All I was saying is that, yes it was a freak accident, but 14 years ago I would’ve welcomed more oversight. The state was clearly not interested. I’m also confused by the cast member directing monorails thing from off property
Just stating facts. After the incident CMs no longer allowed to direct monorail off property on their dinner break.

MagicHappens1971

Just stating facts. After the incident CMs no longer allowed to direct monorail off property on their dinner break.
Im not discrediting what you’re saying, could you elaborate though? How could one direct the monorail on their unpaid dinner break? Disney is crazy about time worked is time paid.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Ron is now going to officially cancel New Smyrna Beach 🌊🏄

Last edited:

Lilofan

Amazing pre DeSantis , in the fatal monorail incident , state didn't want to take over with more oversight and inspecting? Hmmmmm........

note2001

I do feel horrible about the pilot that died, but had the state instated these inspections 14 years ago when that happened, I wouldn't have commented on it.
Monorails are unique trains in that they have no bumper system to absorb impact. The issue was that combined with the sloped design of the nose cone causing one rail car to slide up and into the other. An inspection would not have prevented the result of the impact. What it may have done is to bring to light that there was a lack of staffing/training on the job preventing the accident to start with.

lazyboy97o

how do you direct a monorail off property? It's a remote system or like over the phone?
Im not discrediting what you’re saying, could you elaborate though? How could one direct the monorail on their unpaid dinner break? Disney is crazy about time worked is time paid.
To me it sounds like an employee that broke all sorts of protocol.

I don’t think any safety inspection from anyone could have prevented the incident.
There was a supervisor overseeing and relaying radio communications who was off site at the time getting dinner. This came about because the person on site left due to illness. It wasn’t a routine procedure but was allowed. It’s a fact that is memorable but wasn’t some big cause as the person in that position was always remote from the various positions and places involved. Not a great practice but also not the thing that would have prevented the person at the shop from not verifying that the switch actually switched or the overriding of the anti-collision systems.

Trauma

There was a supervisor overseeing and relaying radio communications who was off site at the time getting dinner. This came about because the person on site left due to illness. It wasn’t a routine procedure but was allowed. It’s a fact that is memorable but wasn’t some big cause as the person in that position was always remote from the various positions and places involved. Not a great practice but also not the thing that would have prevented the person at the shop from not verifying that the switch actually switched or the overriding of the anti-collision systems.
Forgive my ignorance but I’m assuming that this type of accident would not be possible with a more modern safety system, that I’m assuming was installed after the incident ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Monorails are unique trains in that they have no bumper system to absorb impact. The issue was that combined with the sloped design of the nose cone causing one rail car to slide up and into the other. An inspection would not have prevented the result of the impact. What it may have done is to bring to light that there was a lack of staffing/training on the job preventing the accident to start with.
What you’re trying to say is…they were designed in the 1950’s…and as such didn’t have more modern ideas and safety study results to work off of?

🎼🎶🎵

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Forgive my ignorance but I’m assuming that this type of accident would not be possible with a more modern safety system, that I’m assuming was installed after the incident ?
They did some retrofits and I believe changed the control system? It was a pretty long process if I recall? Like a couple of years?

Anyway…they’re old. Built for a time when if you mistaken got banged with a door…they apologized and gave you a free ticket…
Not an 8 figure settlement 🙄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom