deleted

SpaceMountain77

I don’t know. I don’t think they do too. Final budgets, theme and direction are still undecided. Let alone time frame. Of course I’d love a return to the better than ever version five by October 2022 but that’s just me.

Remember though, the park will be a very different place come that time.

@marni1971 , from your perspective, do you anticipate a closure and retheme, like the Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy, reimagining, like Test Track, or a refresh of scenes and storyline?

FullSailDan

This.

They're very anxious to give out FP's. That's nice and all but very much a part of the problem. I guess they also assume many would end up not using them. But still ...

This seems very true.

I agree about the precedence. I saw this being talked about on the DL forum here. They do indeed seem to let FP just keep bypassing standby. Splash Mountain, for one example.

It seems to vary though. I don't know if it's mandated, some castmembers just forget to send through standby? A combination of a lot of factors?

Another problem is they aren't consistent with their practices. I'm sure they have a 'ratio' to follow but they often seem to just keep loading FP with very few standby getting sent through. And yes, I've timed and watched because I have nothing else to do in line.

There is a ratio to follow, and it varies per ride. One of the problems with Pan's flight is that the throughput isn't high to begin with and then it has like a 7 to 1 fastpass ratio or something like that. Usually it's "okay" considering not all fastpass users will show up at once and there will be times where there are no fastpass users but open line space. But when a ride goes down for a few hours, people come back anytime, both queues build up, and suddenly people in the normal line can be like right at the merge point for close to an hour depending on party sizes. I've seen cast members beg guests to talk to GR and the managers so that operations will be forced to tweak the ratio. The system isn't bad per se, it just needs tweaked and needs better contingency plans for when rides go down.

articos

Just to clarify, Disney recognizes that the most recent script was a dud?

If a new version is on the horizon, I'd love to know that they're learning from the 2008 misfire.
The company or the people? The company is never going to recognize something isn’t popular or working as planned. The people are - mostly - as savvy as you or I. They know when things don’t work and cringe just as much or more than the general public. Nothing has been decided on a new SSE, as it’s still early, but I think it is safe to say everyone wants something to be proud of. We learn from every attraction, good and bad. Not just Disney’s best and not so great, also Universal’s and others.

yensidtlaw1969

The company or the people? The company is never going to recognize something isn’t popular or working as planned. The people are - mostly - as savvy as you or I. They know when things don’t work and cringe just as much or more than the general public. Nothing has been decided on a new SSE, as it’s still early, but I think it is safe to say everyone wants something to be proud of. We learn from every attraction, good and bad. Not just Disney’s best and not so great, also Universal’s and others.
I don't expect the company to release a statement or anything. Yes, my hope was simply that people within it see where things didn't quite work out in the last revisal, and perhaps why.

I hope I didn't step on any toes, it wasn't my intention to put people down with my comments about the current script. And I recognize that there's more to what brought us the current version of the attraction than just the writing.

AJDMB05

It's just so frustrating to know that when something is changed and we get the 2007 SSE refurb, or the 2002 JII refurb where it seems like it's average at best for most people, awful at worst, we're still stuck with it for a really long time (Unless it's so egregiously awful that someone like Michael Eisner steps in ala 1999 JIYI refurb). Like, are we stuck with a warped Eiffel Tower on Soarin' for the next 11 years until they do a new movie? If the cars on Test Track start losing sound and video like they did pre 2014, will it be another 10 years until they fix them? I like that WDW goes for immersion which means big moving pieces, lots of time and money, and it's not just off-the-shelf carnival rides, but it's disappointing how often I've felt like ride refurbs have been rushed through in the last decade. Hearing what was on the table for SSE 2007 compared to what we got is so disappointing.

articos

I first heard of a spine rebuild nine years ago now. And we’re still waiting for that too. Estimated delivery dates are running around on an ice rink.
Hah. That just made me laugh. Marni knows this, but by way of explanation, it’s easier to get attractions budgeted and approved. You can show a return via increased attendance and ride throughputs. New restaurants and retail show new sales dollars. Spine, which is just atmosphere plus infrastructure, always gets shoved to the back burner unless absolutely necessary, or unless allocated via capital expenditure. Then you have to hope those dollars aren’t pulled for something else more necessary somewhere else. It will get done. Eventually. :)

articos

I don't expect the company to release a statement or anything. Yes, my hope was simply that people within it see where things didn't quite work out in the last revisal, and perhaps why.

I hope I didn't step on any toes, it wasn't my intention to put people down with my comments about the current script. And I recognize that there's more to what brought us the current version of the attraction than just the writing.
Oh, they know. Everyone has their own opinions of course, but the people who have been around know when it works or when it doesn’t. No offense taken, don’t worry. My goal is always to remind everyone that the people behind the project trailer walls of WDI are fans too, even amidst the politics and budget cuts and impossible schedules.

trainplane3

Hah. That just made me laugh. Marni knows this, but by way of explanation, it’s easier to get attractions budgeted and approved. You can show a return via increased attendance and ride throughputs. New restaurants and retail show new sales dollars. Spine, which is just atmosphere plus infrastructure, always gets shoved to the back burner unless absolutely necessary, or unless allocated via capital expenditure. Then you have to hope those dollars aren’t pulled for something else more necessary somewhere else. It will get done. Eventually. :)
I got a pitch: The current entrance, the tombstones, makes me depressed since it makes me feel like I'm in a graveyard. Since I'm depressed, that means I'm less likely to part with my money. If it were nicer looking, I'd spend more.

Pretty solid pitch, right? :hilarious:

*I never liked the tombstones, even in my first visits at the age of 5ish. They were always those things that made leaving the park more difficult then it should be after Illuminations.

rle4lunch

I suppose any decent refurb of the ride would entail a new script and voice-actor?
Here's just a few suggestions:
-Benedict Cumberbatch
-Gal Gadot
-Anthony Hopkins
-Chris Hemsworth

or perhaps, a combo-job.

Whatever they do though, I want them to remove the on-board screens and fix the damn descent! Bring back Tomorrow's Child!

No offense to Gal Gadot, but I'd think you'd want a narrator that didn't have a heavy accent like hers. The others on your list can speak much clearer English. She's got a face for the screen, and not for radio, to turn a phrase.. lol

Hatbox Ghostbuster

No offense to Gal Gadot, but I'd think you'd want a narrator that didn't have a heavy accent like hers. The others on your list can speak much clearer English. She's got a face for the screen, and not for radio, to turn a phrase.. lol
We'll see how she holds up in WIR 2. But perhaps you're right. I'd rather have her as an on-board tour guide. Or better yet, a seat-mate.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Clicked on this thread and in scrolling through just one page you can tell it will be 5 years of armchair imagineering with an occasional sprinkle of actual input via the insiders.

Kman101

Clicked on this thread and in scrolling through just one page you can tell it will be 5 years of armchair imagineering with an occasional sprinkle of actual input via the insiders.

If armchairing is how you want to look at it.

We're years away, what would you like to be discussed? lol. Not being snarky but what's the point of a discussion forum?

Disstevefan1

There was rumors years back that SSE was to be turned into a roller coaster and part of the track would come OUT of the sphere, breaking up the our beautiful geodesic globe!

In my opinion, KEEP the ride system, keep the first half of the ride, the 2nd half (the way down), needs a revamp, I love IMAX screens with motion, wind, smell effects. I would be ok with getting rid of the touch screens.

One thing we must all remember, Disney will do what ever they want, including nothing or a total distruction of an attraction like imagination or the worst of all, the people mover at Disneyland!!!

trainplane3

There was rumors years back that SSE was to be turned into a roller coaster and part of the track would come OUT of the sphere, breaking up the our beautiful geodesic globe!

In my opinion, KEEP the ride system, keep the first half of the ride, the 2nd half (the way down), needs a revamp, I love IMAX screens with motion, wind, smell effects. I would be ok with getting rid of the touch screens.

One thing we must all remember, Disney will do what ever they want, including nothing or a total distruction of an attraction like imagination or the worst of all, the people mover at Disneyland!!!
I've bugged Martin about that in the past several times. He said it actually would've been all contained within SSE. That surprised me too. Luckily, the structure isn't 100% rollercoaster ready and would've required significant $$ to get it to be adequate.

And you're in the same boat as most people with the second half. On the previous version, they made the tightest parts of the ride seem huge thanks to the dioramas/screens/etc in that section. Nearly anything is better then a black curtain and some lights.

sedati

Here's my fantasy refurb where Disney utilizes Spaceship Earth to create a more all encompassing Epcot Center mission statement attraction.

First, everything should be done to showcase this engineering marvel by stripping out whatever doesn't need to be there. Remove the sundries and rentals and open up the base of the pillars. Remove Earth Station, load/unload, queue and ramp. Open up the gap between the rear supports.

So, if you take away all that, then where do you get on this thing? Answer: Communicore East. There we will find an immersive and enclosed queue leading to the omnimover boarding.

Once on board, I'd like to see a return of hosts to an attraction ala the couple in Horizons instead of a dry narration. Starting off we will restore some of what was lost from Universe of Energy. Begin with the big bang and the creation of the solar system and earth. Evolve us up to a new and glorious prehistoric diorama. Finish this portion with the asteroid impact or ice age.

From there we traverse a narrow tunnel that tells us of how mammals inherited the earth. This tunnel wraps in an elegant curve (Elevated so the masses entering the park can pass below) up until it connects with the original Spaceship Earth track. A glass roof could be utilized so we can actually see the huge sphere we are entering. On top of that, the patented AR window tech rumored for monorails could be used so we actually see the sphere more like a changing planet. From there things are mostly the same starting at the age of mammoths and leading us to the information age.

The descent is where we hear about emerging technologies and reasonable speculation on what the near future will bring (this would also be the one space that will have to be updated often, so sticking with screens or modest builds makes sense, especially with the tight confines of the descent.

With the vehicle still pointing us backwards we enter another new tunnel that mirrors the first, only this one leads us into Communicore West. Again, we could be given a glimpse of the great sphere and see it as a further evolving earth with space stations in orbit.

This last section would be the finale and where we would restore some of the better aspects of Horizons. Far reaching speculation of man's future done on a grand scale. We exit back in the plaza opposite where we entered. After disembarking, the empty omnimovers are sent down in a shallow tunnel running along the service corridor back to Communicore East.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom