deleted

The Empress Lilly

Okay, Then why is Pam the one interviewed and gets the media attention if it's not under her creative direction? I am assuming she had some say or editorial control on the script. the reason I am so curious about this is I used to aspire to be a WDI Show Writer (I even have a script for SSE v.5 written just in case. ) but have accepted that probably will never happen, Thus I am channeling my passion for writing and Disney through the articles in my signature.
Become a powerful copywriter / freelancer then let known your interest to TWDC in working with them.

Edit: what do Disney Show Writers call themselves during a...'enhanced' brain storm session? Snow Whiters...

wombat

'Possibly coming within the next five years'. A bit like saying I might win the lottery within the next five years. A pointless statement. Why do people put this stuff out there?

yensidtlaw1969

The uncomplicated answer is it is somewhat under her creative direction within her area, and yes, she had some say, along with a bunch of others above her. The show producer has ultimate responsibility, but in the case of a marquee attraction like SSE there are many principals and divisions who can (and do) get involved, along with the Operating Partner. There are also many versions of show scripts from multiple periods in the attraction’s development timeline that may compete and get pieced together. There are a whole lot of layers with varying input and politics. As far as who gets trotted out to speak, that could be anyone available at the time. It doesn’t even have to be someone associated with the project, although they usually are. It’s not an indication of someone’s status within the project.
Just to clarify, Disney recognizes that the most recent script was a dud?

If a new version is on the horizon, I'd love to know that they're learning from the 2008 misfire.

yensidtlaw1969

'Possibly coming within the next five years'. A bit like saying I might win the lottery within the next five years. A pointless statement. Why do people put this stuff out there?
It seems to have been corroborated by other reliable posters that a new version of the ride is in the works. Whether it comes within five years or not, the main kernel of interest is that the wheels are beginning to turn on another refurb.

Brad Bishop

Though it's quite good as-is, Spaceship Earth requires another 'refresh' (as communication transitioned to portable devices after this ride received its '98 renovation).

I thought SSE got a major refurb back in 2007 or so. I thought that was when they added the pic-taking and cartoon of tomorrow to the final descent.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Any chance we’d see the screens removed in the new version, and actual sets in the descent? Or at least the removal of the cartoon?
I don’t know. I don’t think they do too. Final budgets, theme and direction are still undecided. Let alone time frame. Of course I’d love a return to the better than ever version five by October 2022 but that’s just me.

Remember though, the park will be a very different place come that time.

trainplane3

I don’t know. I don’t think they do too. Final budgets, theme and direction are still undecided. Let alone time frame. Of course I’d love a return to the better than ever version five by October 2022 but that’s just me.

I'm still surprised we haven't seen any movement at all on that front. Bob mentioned a Epcot overhaul nearly 2 years ago. But, I'd rather they took their time and did it right so I won't complain about the first movements taking so long.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm still surprised we haven't seen any movement at all on that front. Bob mentioned a Epcot overhaul nearly 2 years ago. But, I'd rather they took their time and did it right so I won't complain about the first movements taking so long.
I first heard of a spine rebuild nine years ago now. And we’re still waiting for that too. Estimated delivery dates are running around on an ice rink.

Kman101

This is part of it.

Last year I went to the front desk to get tickets for the Hoop-dee-doo revue. CM working the desk was asking me about my plans for the day we're going to the show. I said "Oh we're going over to Epcot, ride Test Track, UoE, SSE, and M:S for sure. We'll do anything that's like an hour or less". She asked why I wasn't doing Soarin' and I said we chose TT over it and since they're both tier 1 and it pulls 1+ hour waits, we weren't planning on it. She came back and said we have a FP for Soarin' that could be used for anytime on that day. I didn't even imply I wanted a FP for it.

It was a nice surprise but this is part of the problem.

This.

They're very anxious to give out FP's. That's nice and all but very much a part of the problem. I guess they also assume many would end up not using them. But still ...

Honestly this is a huge operational problem throughout the whole resort. They give out way too many FPs, and give too much precedence to them at most attractions’ merge points. I don’t mind FP as a concept but this seriously needs to be addressed.

This seems very true.

I agree about the precedence. I saw this being talked about on the DL forum here. They do indeed seem to let FP just keep bypassing standby. Splash Mountain, for one example.

It seems to vary though. I don't know if it's mandated, some castmembers just forget to send through standby? A combination of a lot of factors?

Another problem is they aren't consistent with their practices. I'm sure they have a 'ratio' to follow but they often seem to just keep loading FP with very few standby getting sent through. And yes, I've timed and watched because I have nothing else to do in line.

Kman101

I first heard of a spine rebuild nine years ago now. And we’re still waiting for that too. Estimated delivery dates are running around on an ice rink.

This makes me laugh. But in a sad way. It seems they want to come back around to things that maybe didn't get done during the stagnation decade ... nine years since you first heard about plans for a spine redo? YEESH! I know these things are planned, stuff happens ... but LOL.

Why is it so hard for them?

Are they going to fix the A/C?

Shhh. You aren't supposed to notice. But that would be nice. I've seen several people mention this now. I noticed it too. Yet other places blare the AC like it's going out of style.

Kman101

It seems to have been corroborated by other reliable posters that a new version of the ride is in the works. Whether it comes within five years or not, the main kernel of interest is that the wheels are beginning to turn on another refurb.

Yes. This. People get too focused on 'when' things happen, instead of what's happening. Timetables slip. Things take time. They move at a snails pace. They seem to have no urgency. I like hearing about 'plans' but I know others expect a timetable and work to start immediately after Martin mentions a project ;) lol

trainplane3

I'd think they would want to do something special for the 40th but obviously they aren't in a rush. At the very least, a new entrance would be a great start and *something* for the 40th. I know someone with a backhoe that would probably enjoy knocking a few of the tombstones over...

geekza

I agree about the precedence. I saw this being talked about on the DL forum here. They do indeed seem to let FP just keep bypassing standby. Splash Mountain, for one example.

It seems to vary though. I don't know if it's mandated, some castmembers just forget to send through standby? A combination of a lot of factors?
One of the folks on Dis Unplugged mentioned that when he was a cast member at Buzz that the guideline was ten FastPass people per one Standby person, so if you were in Standby with a group of four, they had to let forty FastPass guests through before you.

Kman101

One of the folks on Dis Unplugged mentioned that when he was a cast member at Buzz that the guideline was ten FastPass people per one Standby person, so if you were in Standby with a group of four, they had to let forty FastPass guests through before you.

Interesting. Adds some perspective.

As someone who has been in both standby and FP, I've definitely noticed over the last two years or so that they seem to be just letting all FP through and barely any standby. I've almost literally walked onto things. It's nice but not really a fair way of doing it. They need to find some balance. Another problem is that most of these attractions and queue lines weren't designed with FP in mind. They're trying to force all of the parks to do things they aren't capable of (hence, the tiers, because they're still underbuilt). This is a real problem at DL. I feel so bad for guests there. The walkways are often awful and crowded, FP on things that just CANNOT handle it.

This is what we mean when we say those that make the decisions are "disconnected". They are. They haven't a clue.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Fair enough! I just hope not so secretly that there's a contingent within power that sees where the last refurb went wrong.

Fingers crossed there's something beautiful coming.

mwf5555

Are they going to fix the A/C?
or there could be projectiles sticking out like this...? That wouldn't ruin the look at all...
Planet Hwood.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom