deleted

geekza

Eh, to me they go hand in hand. I have never found any of the voices distracting from the content.
The original version didn't have a celebrity voice. While the script wasn't the best, the narrator did a fine job. There are people whose career is performing narration, so a recognizable celebrity certainly isn't a must. With that said, the Cronkite narration added a little gravitas to the presentation because of his status as a voice of authority. I didn't have a problem with Irons and, from the videos I've seen with the Dench narration, a problem with it either. It doesn't really matter who they get for the narration as long as it is well-written and delivered well. It would be amazing if, one April 1, they replaced the narration with Gilbert Gottfried for just a day without telling anyone. Someone needs to make that happen. It couldn't be that difficult to switch out the digital files for a day.

geekza

I just hope whatever they do, they do it right. This is the last of the Future World attractions that is close to it's original version that we have left. I would hate to see that era of Epcot lost forever.
Living with the Land isn't too far off from the original. There was a pretty major change to the very first room and the film clips fairly early on. The loss of a live guide was probably the biggest change from the original. Honestly, I think there have been more changes to Spaceship Earth than Living with (Listen to) the Land. I agree that SSE needs to stay, if nothing else, but Future World is a dead concept at this point, sadly.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Something I tend to look at with refurbs is the era in which they were done. The '94 SSE update was done in the Eisner/Wells era, when the company was thinking big (and Frank was still around to balance out Eisner). Contrast that to what happened after Wells' death, and what we have today. It's as if the Disney many of us grew up with - the one that thought big and took chances and did things that blew your mind - died with Frank Wells. After that, Eisner wasn't the same, plus his heart attack really changed him while he was still CEO. And then we got Iger, and... well, we all know how his time as CEO has been for the parks. Cost containment. De-risk. Up-sell. Up-charge events. Higher profit margins. Higher guest spending. FP+.

My best guess is as to why they changed it, besides new sponsor and new ride direction, is the ending was too dated. By the time the redo happened, most people had the technology showcased in the ending, or similar versions were on the horizon. I still think they should have kept it though, and just replaced the line about the new technology with something like "with today's technology..." or something like that.
Yeah exactly! I remember bits and pieces of that ending since I was young, but now I dont like the ending. It's just too plain! I miss going downhill and actually being able to look at different things.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The original version didn't have a celebrity voice. While the script wasn't the best, the narrator did a fine job. There are people whose career is performing narration, so a recognizable celebrity certainly isn't a must. With that said, the Cronkite narration added a little gravitas to the presentation because of his status as a voice of authority. I didn't have a problem with Irons and, from the videos I've seen with the Dench narration, a problem with it either. It doesn't really matter who they get for the narration as long as it is well-written and delivered well. It would be amazing if, one April 1, they replaced the narration with Gilbert Gottfried for just a day without telling anyone. Someone needs to make that happen. It couldn't be that difficult to switch out the digital files for a day.
Or they could just overlay the ride with audio of Bob Iger reading the first three chapters of his upcoming autobiography, You Don't Need A Weatherman.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
As a cost-cutting measure.

Oh, that makes sense. Here I thought it was because his thoughts on "leadership" would only fill up a 3x5 index card (originally, it was later expanded to two 3x5 index cards when he needed to include at least one reference to his wife somewhere). Good to know he's walking the walk when it comes to cost containment and the environment. ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Oh, that makes sense. Here I thought it was because his thoughts on "leadership" would only fill up a 3x5 index card (originally, it was later expanded to two 3x5 index cards when he needed to include at least one reference to his wife somewhere). Good to know he's walking the walk when it comes to cost containment and the environment. ;)
AKA Bob's Guide To Buying Intellectual Properties.

articos

Something I tend to look at with refurbs is the era in which they were done. The '94 SSE update was done in the Eisner/Wells era, when the company was thinking big (and Frank was still around to balance out Eisner). Contrast that to what happened after Wells' death, and what we have today. It's as if the Disney many of us grew up with - the one that thought big and took chances and did things that blew your mind - died with Frank Wells. After that, Eisner wasn't the same, plus his heart attack really changed him while he was still CEO. And then we got Iger, and... well, we all know how his time as CEO has been for the parks. Cost containment. De-risk. Up-sell. Up-charge events. Higher profit margins. Higher guest spending. FP+.
Accurate.

Rascal!

It's been 11 years since the Dench refurb, hasn't it? 5 more years would put it to last 16 years - almost 2 decades. What's the longest one narrator has been in SSE? I can't think of any that have been there for 16 years - Irons I think was 13 (94-07).

I only ever saw it when Walter Cronkite narrated. It's to hard to hear JD or JI narrations when watching it on YouTube.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just hope they get rid of the "Your time machine is rotating" announcement, I'm guessing there's some sort of dumb tourist story behind why they had to include that, but it totally takes you out of the moment. Haunted Mansion does the same turn, but there's no announcement about that.
Stupid guests. It was introduced in 1986 but before 180 top so not to break the story. It moved upstairs in 1994.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom