deleted

DanielBB8

Maybe both parks started with an emphasis of cultural history but both has faded with time. And seems like a good dynamic between the two.
I’m glad you agree. California changed so much that I don’t see how it’s cultural history is interesting to most guests beyond a passing reference. Also, Disney doesn’t have a credible history of maintaining historical, cultural, and scientific exhibits and attractions. Let Disney do what it does best. It puts on the best cutting edge Disney attractions.

BrianLo

Reading in between the lines I don't think @TP2000 's neighbour lady was on about the land itself being delayed, more the attractions. Which is probably why we got this attraction-less weird 2020 announcement. Build the land first, tack on the attractions second.

I also think the re-announcement of Flik's flyers moving helps solidly that it still seems like a land would be coming in 2020.

The microbrewery thing peaks my interest. Guess I'm the right demo, but I'm kind of into it.

Ismael Flores

Taking this new information at face value, it would seem that the pendulum style ride system was never the intention for this Spiderman attraction. Disappointing if that's the case, but the rumored 3D ride would likely have a lower height requirement and I admit in a superhero land that is a plus. Since the Avengers ride is supposedly slated for a second phase, it would seem the delay mentioned by the "neighbor lady" should not affect the land's opening date.

would a pendulum style 3d shooter dark ride work? now that would be fun

dweezil78

I love how Disney either pretends the park isn't named Disney California Adventure (Mission: BREAKOUT!, Pixar Pier) or goes unnecessarily all-in on the California theme, even when they have to resort to shoehorning (Disney's Electrical Parade 2001, whatever this Marvel thing is). It truly is a park without a solid direction.

IMO, since all the updates in the past decade, the only thing they really ever went all in on was Buena Vista St. / Carthay. Even Cars Land, which opened the same time, can be easily argued to not be California. Most people hated/hate the California thing, yet get all angry when any themes are introduced that aren't 110% California. DCA isn't my favorite park by a longshot, but I also think people find pretty ridiculous reasons to hate on it sometimes.

SSG

Don't be surprised if in Phase 4 the Avengers have global outposts besides in New York, such as in Los Angeles, and Tokyo, and Shanghai, and Hong Kong, and Paris.

Good thing a Marvel Land can't be built in Orlando. Try justifying an Avenger outpost there. Although... if Phase 4 introduces Man-Thing...
Yes, that would fit into the Marvel Theme Park Universe being pushed when Guardians opened.

SSG

Even Cars Land, which opened the same time, can be easily argued to not be California.

Off topic, but let's settle the debate on where Radiator Springs is located. There shouldn't be an argument about this because Radiator Springs is located in Arizona. My evidence: in Cars, at least 3 or 4 times, a character mentions that Lightning needs to get to California for the big race. This happened while McQueen was in RS. You wouldn't say 'get to California' if you're already in California. Granted, that doesn't place RS in Arizona, but if you go into Radiator Springs Curios in Cars Land, take a look at the mural above the cash register. it's a map of Route 66, which shows assorted roadside attractions and it clearly shows RS is in Arizona. If the Imagineers went to the trouble of drawing a map showing RS is in Arizona, that should settle it......at least until any future ret-con.

Last edited:

TROR

Off topic, but let's settle the debate on where Radiator Springs is located. There shouldn't be an argument about this because Radiator Springs is located in Arizona. My evidence: in Cars, at least 3 or 4 times, a character mentions that Lightning needs to get to California for the big race. This happened while McQueen was in RS. You wouldn't say 'get to California' if you're already in California. Granted, that doesn't place RS in Arizona, but if you go into Radiator Springs Curios in Cars Land, take a look at the mural above the cash register. it's a map of Route 66, which shows assorted roadside attractions and it clearly shows RS is in Arizona. If the Imagineers went to the trouble of drawing a map showing RS is in Arizona, that should settle it......at least until any future re-con.
This is why I don't support the "it's located in CA so it fits." Cars Land isn't even located in California but it fits the theme of the park just fine. It would be better, of course, if Car Land was built but that's not going to happen now.

bluerhythym

Off topic, but let's settle the debate on where Radiator Springs is located. There shouldn't be an argument about this because Radiator Springs is located in Arizona. My evidence: in Cars, at least 3 or 4 times, a character mentions that Lightning needs to get to California for the big race. This happened while McQueen was in RS. You wouldn't say 'get to California' if you're already in California. Granted, that doesn't place RS in Arizona, but if you go into Radiator Springs Curios in Cars Land, take a look at the mural above the cash register. it's a map of Route 66, which shows assorted roadside attractions and it clearly shows RS is in Arizona. If the Imagineers went to the trouble of drawing a map showing RS is in Arizona, that should settle it......at least until any future re-con.

If we're going by geographic technicalities, Cars Land is more AZ then CA. But it's all relative - to someone across the world, the Southwestern / California experience is one in the same. It's not some random location pulled out of a hat, we already had the desert motifs in Condor Flats.

Semantics aside, it just feels right. The same way a boat ride in the Caribbean feels right behind an old New Orleans facade. The concept of a Route 66 desert road trip is probably way more of a Californian ideal than an Arizonian one.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Blasphemy!! Frozen belongs in MK's Fantasyland. Leave the poor vikings alone.

Just want consistency. *IF* an Arizona setting is good enough for "California" and a Caribbean ride is good enough for New Orleans and a deep South jamboree is good enough for the Frontier, *THEN* a Danish story in a generic Nordic setting is good enough for Norway.

:p

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Just want consistency. *IF* an Arizona setting is good enough for "California" and a Caribbean ride is good enough for New Orleans and a deep South jamboree is good enough for the Frontier, *THEN* a Danish story in an generic Nordic setting is good enough for Norway.

True, and I'm probably just being a stickler here...but I'd hope tht WS pavilions would aim for a higher standard than just "good enough" to represent the culture.

TROR

Just want consistency. *IF* an Arizona setting is good enough for "California" and a Caribbean ride is good enough for New Orleans and a deep South jamboree is good enough for the Frontier, *THEN* a Danish story in an generic Nordic setting is good enough for Norway.

I agree with you tbh. Only problem I have is that Epcot's World Showcase should be focused on real world nations and showcasing information about them. Epcot really shouldn't be an IP park. If Epcot was an IP park, though, I'd have no problem with Frozen in Norway even though it's not really Norway.

D.Silentu

At one point in the development of the Cars ride they talked about a finale that actually had you racing in the gran prix. I haven't seen the movie since the theater, but I believe the main character's motivation was to get to the gran prix in California. I have no idea when the concept for the ride changed, but I can see how they were trying to relate the attraction to the California theme, at least at first.

bluerhythym

At one point in the development of the Cars ride they talked about a finale that actually had you racing in the gran prix. I haven't seen the movie since the theater, but I believe the main character's motivation was to get to the gran prix in California. I have no idea when the concept for the ride changed, but I can see how they were trying to relate the attraction to the California theme, at least at first.

It should also be noted that a more generic Route 66 "Car Land" was being developed even before the movie came out. The intentions of this land were always to fit under the DCA theme.

TROR

It should also be noted that a more generic Route 66 "Car Land" was being developed even before the movie came out. The intentions of this land were always to fit under the DCA theme.
Really is such a shame we didn't get Car Land. Really the only good parts of Cars Land are Radiator Springs Racers and Flo's V8 Cafe. But Car Land would've had RSR and likely its own diner. It also had the potential for nonCars rides such as Herbie the Love Bug or something akin to World of Motion. Cars Land's good, but Car Land could've been even better.

nevol

I'm betting the microbrewery is going to be Banner themed. Remember that giant soda can in the concept art? Based on its location I'm thinking it would be where the queue for Hyperion is, but that concept art can't be taken literally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom