Darth Maul/Kid Incident - SWW '09

sublimesting

So if it were your kid and the character manhandled him or her you would just say, "Oh my Gosh *giggle* not gonna let it ruin my vacation." And not do anything??

What are you really going to do though? I think yelling at the CM is sufficient with a complaint to Disney. In that particular circumstance, th parents are at fault and pu the kid in that situation. Too often though people love to say how they are going to destroy others for this nd that and it does get tiresome. I work with a guy and he nevr misses a chance to say how he is going to lay a beat down on smeone for a perceived slight to his child. Example from this morning:
Him: "I'm not taking my daughter to get her vaccines cause the doctor hurts her and anyone that hurts my child I want to hurt 100 times worse. I have an obligation as a father to snap his fing neck.:mad:
Me: "It's a shot froma doctor it's not like an assault.:veryconfu"
Him: "Doesn't matter any man would feel that way. You hurt my kid I hurt you no exceptions. I actually reached for his neck last time to kill him and my wife stopped me.:mad::hammer:"
Me: "..........:lookaroun"

Really, you're going to kill a doctor tough guy? No you're not, you just want to sound like a bada$$. You have too much testosterone and want everyone to know you'e tough. And you're looking for an excuse to lash out at people.

Phonedave

So if it were your kid and the character manhandled him or her you would just say, "Oh my Gosh *giggle* not gonna let it ruin my vacation." And not do anything??

No, I would have confronted the character, but to boast about "giving him a beat down" and "ripping him in two" and reacting to such an extent that you would be banned from the park. I am going to call "internet muscles" here.

I just find all the aggrandizing and boasting of peoples martial skills amusing.

-dave

sockmonkeygirl

Thanks, MontyMom, that's why I clarified when I read your post. I was definately referring to Youtube comments, not the discussion going on here. I like the exchange of opinions, although I'm still pretty shocked that so many people think Darth Maul wasn't wrong for doing what he did. In my mind, he was surely wrong.

rsoxguy

images
VS
images
=
images

durangojim

#1. The guy playing Darth Maul acted totally inappropriately. I don't care if he thought he was being attacked by a scrawny kid, he should have just brushed "Little Joe" off or ignored him.

That being said, the father is a total dou che. "Parents, your kids are not safe at WDW!" The video was made to make $ and I'm sure this guy can't wait until it's on the news. It's total B S about the kid suffering from mental anguish, ulcers, more meds, etc. If this guy and his wife made sure the kid was staying behind the line LIKE EVERYONE ELSE there would have been no problems. Just because this child has special knees (a patient of mine calls it that) the parents obviously thought he should be exempt to the rules the other kids have to follow. As a family doc, I can't count how many times I walk into an exam room where the parent is allowing the child to sit, stand, or kneel on my stool and spin around. I'll the parents to make sure he/she doesn't fall and crack their head open. If they don't pay attention, then I politely but firmly instruct the youngster to get down. If they don't and they happen to get injuered (has happened twice) I send them to the ER so they can sit there for hours and wait to have stiches put in instead of taking the 5-10 minutes and doing it myself. It's unfortunate that the kids have to pay the price for the parents' mistakes but a hole parents like this really pi$$ me off, and maybe that kid will learn not to jump infront of performers in a parade any more.

Eyorefan

Thanks, MontyMom, that's why I clarified when I read your post. I was definately referring to Youtube comments, not the discussion going on here. I like the exchange of opinions, although I'm still pretty shocked that so many people think Darth Maul wasn't wrong for doing what he did. In my mind, he was surely wrong.

I can agree with you that Darth Maul was in the wrong, and I agree with the actions Disney took which was to fire the CM the next day. And yeah, I wonder where the CMs working the line were while this kid was repeatedly steping out into the parade path.

I think the point most of us are making though, the one I am making at least, is that this kid should have never been in that dangerous situation to start with. Here is a special needs child who is getting really excited in an over stimulating situation and his parents aren't doing anything to make sure he is safe. That bugs me more than the actions of some dumb CM who had no idea the boy had special needs and (while his actions were still wrong) thought he was just dealing with an out of control punk. These parents were the only ones there that day who knew the full scope of their child's issues. They are the ones who are suppose to be watching him and keeping him safe at all times and from what I see in the video they failed their kid.

raven

I'm going to have to go with it being the parent's fault here. I've worked with special needs children for 5 years including autistic children. The child should've been kept back in the first place. He looks back to the camera as to get the OK to proceed with walking out into the route. It looks as though he started to charge the character and he defended himself but then used that to show is character as well. I'm sure he didn't mean to push the kid hard but he probably wasn't expecting to be charged in the first place.

Control your children, keep all hands inside the vehicle (and parade route) and nothing bad will happen.

durangojim

One other thing. If I was the dad who was videoing. The moment my child was chased back to the crowd, I would have walked over to make sure he was ok. I would not have stood there and continued to video.

MKCP 1985

They should have kept the kid out of the parade route, but that was very unprofessional of the CM. Should have been canned.

Well, if was going to get canned for his actions, he should have gotten in a better lick than that. what's that double bladed light saber for, anyway? A night light? :p

I'd have gone for suspension and retraining, but maybe I'm mellowed by watching the Undercover Boss treatment of some of these yo-yos out working in different places. :lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Congratulations, Monty! I didn't realize you had become a mother!

(sorry, sockmonkeygirl, that's just in good fun. sometimes little typos need to get the attention they deserve. it just made me giggle, so I had to acknowledge it. smile.)
I dunno, I get called a "Mother" a lot... :lookaroun

:lol:

Olijimcha

Far too much of this nonsense in society these days, people need to take responsibility for their actions and look at the cause of the problem not the result of it.

Of course I would expect the DM cm to show more restraint but the foundation of this situation is the parent’s poor supervision of the lad.

the-reason14

What are you really going to do though? I think yelling at the CM is sufficient with a complaint to Disney. In that particular circumstance, th parents are at fault and pu the kid in that situation. Too often though people love to say how they are going to destroy others for this nd that and it does get tiresome. I work with a guy and he nevr misses a chance to say how he is going to lay a beat down on smeone for a perceived slight to his child. Example from this morning:
Him: "I'm not taking my daughter to get her vaccines cause the doctor hurts her and anyone that hurts my child I want to hurt 100 times worse. I have an obligation as a father to snap his fing neck.:mad:
Me: "It's a shot froma doctor it's not like an assault.:veryconfu"
Him: "Doesn't matter any man would feel that way. You hurt my kid I hurt you no exceptions. I actually reached for his neck last time to kill him and my wife stopped me.:mad::hammer:"
Me: "..........:lookaroun"

Really, you're going to kill a doctor tough guy? No you're not, you just want to sound like a bada$$. You have too much testosterone and want everyone to know you'e tough. And you're looking for an excuse to lash out at people.

Yea but thats a bit different though. You're talking about a shot vs a kid getting body slammed by a CM performer at Disney World.

the-reason14

No, I would have confronted the character, but to boast about "giving him a beat down" and "ripping him in two" and reacting to such an extent that you would be banned from the park. I am going to call "internet muscles" here.

I just find all the aggrandizing and boasting of peoples martial skills amusing.

-dave

Well find it amusing, but you really never know how someone would react. You probably dont even know how you would react to it at this moment, because its not happening. But I have an idea of what my first instinct would be.

the-reason14

Sure, my son doesn't always listen the first time I tell him something. That's how kids are. But if he went over the line at a parade, I'm tell him to move back. If he did it again, I'd grab him and pull him back and tell him we would leave if he didn't behave and follow the rules. Next time, we'd leave. I've done it before.

Granted my son doesn't have special needs, but in that case I'd at least hold his hand or something to control him. I darn sure wouldn't stand there laughing as he constantly got into the parade path and in the performers way. I'm sorry, but having special needs does not give anyone a free pass to do whatever they please. You still need to follow the rules.

Did you notice the other kids near him who are following the rules, and keep leaning over, still standing behind the line, trying to see around "little Joe"?

Well thats good, and you're right special needs doesnt change anything. The parents know their child better than anyone else and would know how he would react. They should have been the ones keeping him in line. But the CM who came over after the kid got thrown should have came over long before that when he was out in the route hi five-ing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom