Darth Maul/Kid Incident - SWW '09

the-reason14

I would hardly call that a body slam. The kid didn't end up on the ground there fore no "slam". Shove maybe....slam...no.

Yea but my point is that one is something a child needs vs something inflicted on them by a performer at a theme park. Whether it was a body slam, or shove is in the eye of the beholder, but its not the same as getting a shot.

Phonedave

Yea but my point is that one is something a child needs vs something inflicted on them by a performer at a theme park. Whether it was a body slam, or shove is in the eye of the beholder, but its not the same as getting a shot.

Well, I could make the argument that this kid (or rather his parents) NEEDED a shove, but thats being facetious.

Without resorting to embellishment, posturing, and aggrandizing lets define what an appropriate response to the actual altercation would be.

The kid was pushed around a bit - perhaps a little too strongly - by a costumed "evil' character after the kid had entered an area where he was not supposed to be. The character then stuck a menacing pose at the kid, again which was in character.

So, as a father (which I am) what would be an appropriate level of response? Keeping in mind that the kid was not where he was supposed to be, the event was over (Ie, the kid was not in continued danger), and the public nature of the event.

My response would have been to go up to the CM that was on crowd control duty, and walk with her and my kid to the end of the parade route. I would demand to talk with the CM who was playing Darth Maul and hear his side of the story. Unless he had come up with some pretty good story, I would then expect an apology for my child.

There would be no "beat downs" or "neck breaking" or "body slamming"

What would your response be - again, without adding colorful language like "a$$ kicking", or "laying down some pain"

Of course, the whole above point is moot, as my kids would not have been in that situation in the first place. No, I am not the perfect parent, but my kids have been told to stand in a certain spot or respect a boundary before, and when they didn't then were subsequently punished. Both of them listen pretty well (room cleaning aside). So I could my kids COULD run into the parade, but chances are they would not.

As someone who HAS confronted people when appropriate - both verbally and physically, I think I have a pretty good idea of how I would react. This situation does not warrant an immediate physical response.

-dave

the-reason14

Well, I could make the argument that this kid (or rather his parents) NEEDED a shove, but thats being facetious.

Without resorting to embellishment, posturing, and aggrandizing lets define what an appropriate response to the actual altercation would be.

The kid was pushed around a bit - perhaps a little too strongly - by a costumed "evil' character after the kid had entered an area where he was not supposed to be. The character then stuck a menacing pose at the kid, again which was in character.

So, as a father (which I am) what would be an appropriate level of response? Keeping in mind that the kid was not where he was supposed to be, the event was over (Ie, the kid was not in continued danger), and the public nature of the event.

My response would have been to go up to the CM that was on crowd control duty, and walk with her and my kid to the end of the parade route. I would demand to talk with the CM who was playing Darth Maul and hear his side of the story. Unless he had come up with some pretty good story, I would then expect an apology for my child.

There would be no "beat downs" or "neck breaking" or "body slamming"

What would your response be - again, without adding colorful language like "a$$ kicking", or "laying down some pain"

Of course, the whole above point is moot, as my kids would not have been in that situation in the first place. No, I am not the perfect parent, but my kids have been told to stand in a certain spot or respect a boundary before, and when they didn't then were subsequently punished. Both of them listen pretty well (room cleaning aside). So I could my kids COULD run into the parade, but chances are they would not.

As someone who HAS confronted people when appropriate - both verbally and physically, I think I have a pretty good idea of how I would react. This situation does not warrant an immediate physical response.

-dave

Well everybody's different. Kudos for shedding light on how you would handle it. Dont know if I would react simarly, but I would NOT do what the dad did in the video, the-reason knows that. :cool:

828tnt

I am amazed by the amount of people that would chase down the character and "rip him in two" "beat him down to the ground" "get a lifetime ban" etc.

The internet, testosterone, and you - the perfect trifecta.

-dave

i think some may have missed on the reference to the movie .....

and most of my post said i thought the parents were completely in the wrong. so much so, in fact, there is really no defending them. most importantly, allowing it to happen a few times before that particular incident, but also by laughing and not being respectful to everyone around them. i've often told my wife that we see some of the worst parenting in the world while at disney. this case certainly helps that argument. these parents are of the mindset that their child was doing nothing wrong. however wrong they are, that is their apparent point of view.

to be perfectly clear, if i feel my child is doing nothing wrong and i see an adult shove him like that, i would take a great bit of exception to it. no internet muscles needed. adults don't get a free pass to shove kids, period.

i like most everyone here would have never allowed my children to be in that situation. and if my boys wouldn't listen, then they lose that privilige. again, not good parenting at all.

in fact, imo, a large piece of the blame lies with the cm patrolling the parade. she needed to make it perfectly clear to the child and parents that that behavior wasn't acceptable. obviously they don't understand reasonable and appropriate behavior. disney understands that there are all types of parents who visit wdw, and they take steps to train cm's how to handle these circumstances. she could have even stood a bit closer to the child seeing that it was a recurring theme.

also, i understand that dm was not looking directly at the boy, but clearly other characters were and didn't think such actions were warranted.

if giving kids who break the disney rules a good shove is acceptable, then clearly the next time a ten year old that sits on the turn styles while waiting in a long line for btmrr needs to be knocked off it. better yet, the next kid who is foolish enough not to listen and sits in the middle of the row in muppets 3d needs to be shoved to the very end of the row like the rules state! id love to see how this is incorporated into traditions training. i'm sure those who approve would have some much shorter lines to wait in eventually-lol.

the parents started the ball rolling with their entitlement attitude. the cm on patrol was not as aware as she needs to be. but dm shoved a child. then went at him a second time for good measure. not exactly the thing anyone wants to see in wdw.

bad parenting really gets to me while i'm there. but it's not a cm's resposibility to teach consequenses of right and wrong. their job is guest safety. the cm's actions were not about guest safety.

this was really an unfortunate incident. maybe we can all agree on most points at least. clearly everyone has very strong and different feelings about their children. that's why i just can't support the mentality that anyone who catches my child can disipline however they feel appropriate.

dave you discribed how you would handle it, and i commend you. i'm pretty sure your kids would draw from that and learn, even though as you mentioned, you wouldn't have allowed it to get to that point. from your posts i can imagine you to be a reasonable individual. but there are a great many others who would not want someone else deciding what is appropriate actions or punishments for their kids.

my two cents or so....

-tim

me_stitch

Premium Member
hey sockmonkeygirl. I have kids and I can honestly say my kids wouldn't even be leaning on the tape, much less standing on the other side of it. And it's not like the kid just tryed to high five the cm, he ran up to him with his hand in the air, was the cm supposed to know the kid was handicapped and didn't no any better? sure, the cm could've handled it better but if you watch the tape closely he was kinda caught off guard and that was his natural reflex taking over. keep control over your kids, I get so tired of parents who think because their spending a few thousand dollars that they own the place and can do whatever they want and treat people like crap.

sockmonkeygirl

hey sockmonkeygirl. I have kids and I can honestly say my kids wouldn't even be leaning on the tape, much less standing on the other side of it. And it's not like the kid just tryed to high five the cm, he ran up to him with his hand in the air, was the cm supposed to know the kid was handicapped and didn't no any better? sure, the cm could've handled it better but if you watch the tape closely he was kinda caught off guard and that was his natural reflex taking over. keep control over your kids, I get so tired of parents who think because their spending a few thousand dollars that they own the place and can do whatever they want and treat people like crap.

I think you should realize that no one was trying to treat the CM like crap. That didn't happen. No one was swearing at him, chasing him, etc. A high five does not consitute 'crap' in my opinion. The parents were the cause of the problem, because they didn't keep their kid in the proper place..but the parents did not get shoved. A kid did. A little kid. I feel that the Darth Maul is the paid professional here, and holds responsibility for that. Apparently Disney corp. felt the same way.

Yes, plenty of people were wrong in this incident, the boy is the LEAST at fault here. He didn't deserve to get shoved by an adult. I don't know if DM is your brother or what..but there really is no defending the guy. Everyone has their own accountability. The parents took the risk of having their kid trampled over or reprimanded by a CM or whatever can happen in a parade route (although I doubt they thought THIS would happen) They have to live with that. The DM character has to live with losing his job. He took that chance and came up on the short end of the light saber. The kid..he doesn't even know any better, he was just having a good time at the happiest place in the world. Innocent. Victim. Because all the adults who were supposed to know better were being stupid.

BiggerTigger

Is it not interesting to note that the father (I believe he the poster identified himself as such) was at a distance taping the actions of his child. After the first incident with a cast member, he failed to intervene. And after the second incident with Darth Mauhl and the parade attendent, he continued to video tape. I think I would have stepped in to see my child and intervene. That is bad parenting. And leads me to believe this was more for publicity/money than the care and concern of his child.

sockmonkeygirl

BiggerTigger, I believe the parents of course should have intervened, kept a better reign on their kid. But I don't think it was any sort of preplanned publicity or suit stunt, because no one could have possibly guessed the reaction by the DM CM. I'm sure they figured they kid would be a slight annoyance, or maybe he would be requested to return to the proper place by a cm, but I don't think anyone would have assumed a cm would shove the kid. :shrug:

MAF

Why would someone post this on youtube if it happened to your child? I smell another "balloon boy" incident where the parents are trying to gain fame and money.

828tnt

Why would someone post this on youtube if it happened to your child? I smell another "balloon boy" incident where the parents are trying to gain fame and money.

agreed. the parents are definately lacking in many areas.....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Balloon boy..Tigger Punch boy and now....Darth Maul shove boy

Andrew54

Guess Ill jump in on this too. It is the parents fault for not at least keeping the kid near them. They were what 10ft away video taping the whole incident. I realise that the kid has issues, but thats not excuse that he doesnt have to follow the rules. If I am too close the street during a parade I will be told by a CM to back up. But the kid was walking out into the street a couple of times before, which the parent should have put a stop to on the first 2 times.

Horizons1

Parents fault. We do a safety walk before the parade to make sure guests know they are to stand behind the line at all times during a parade. Parents need to keep their kids behind the line at ALL times. If a performer walks near the threshold people may reach out to give them a high-five like the child here was doing. But a guest walking out into the parade route is simply not acceptable.

Parents, you are liable for your children's actions. Not us. We're not going to put your damn kids on a leash for you. Either control your kids, or stay out of the parks, it's that simple.

sockmonkeygirl

parents fault that the kid was in the parade route, but DM's fault for pushing him. everyone is accountable for their own actions. no, the kid shouldn't have been there. still does not give DM the right to push. why not just move out of the way? an adult whose instinct is to push rather than avoid a physical confrontation does not belong working at DW. i'm kinda concerned that more people here don't see that. especially if lots of people here, work there.

Wilt Dasney

parents fault that the kid was in the parade route, but DM's fault for pushing him. everyone is accountable for their own actions. no, the kid shouldn't have been there. still does not give DM the right to push. why not just move out of the way? an adult whose instinct is to push rather than avoid a physical confrontation does not belong working at DW. i'm kinda concerned that more people here don't see that. especially if lots of people here, work there.
I'm with you on this, mostly.

Based on the video, the dad seems like one of those "super parent" types who take any challenges or misfortunes their spawn encounter and try to turn it into a political cause. Working for the sports section on a small town paper, I encounter their kind frequently.

But the CM was out of line, without a doubt. I don't think he should have been fired though, unless there was a pattern of things like this. Considering that he didn't harm the child (or really even come close) and that he was playing a "sinister" role, I'd have given him the benefit of the doubt and stuck with a strongly worded reprimand.

PhotoDave219

Based on the video, the dad seems like one of those "super parent" types who take any challenges or misfortunes their spawn encounter and try to turn it into a political cause. Working for the sports section on a small town paper, I encounter their kind frequently.

Ive just started being blunt - You win and you get coverage. We cover 17 high schools & the SEC to fill 4-6 pages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom