Darby in the Magic Kingdom today!

freediverdude

Was this Darby character in the original Pooh books? Or is this something Disney just dreamed up to change the demographics of the show..... we've already got wayyy too much of Playhouse Disney and the Disney channel in general that's centered around girly.

I don't mind Disney putting a new character in the parks but I just can't help but feel weirded out by Darby. She just looks odd.. almost "Chucky-like." Anyone else feel the same way or am I crazy?

JimboJones123

shes a little scary...
Compared to what? She's about the cutest thing Disney has going right now. Is a giant rat cuter? How about "Princesses" that look like they may be working the Vegas strip? Darby Rocks. This is coming from a 30 year old male. What a great role model. She encourages kids to get up, be active, and explore their world. And she really does look like an animated 4 year old. If you think 4 year olds are creepy, be sure not to have kids.

JimboJones123

Was this Darby character in the original Pooh books? Or is this something Disney just dreamed up to change the demographics of the show..... we've already got wayyy too much of Playhouse Disney and the Disney channel in general that's centered around girly.

Darby is the 1 of the 3 leads in a show and isn't even in the TITLE. I don't see that is an over-girlyfying of a program by any means. Besides the fact that I already mentioned that there is only one other female in the regular and expanded cast of the Pooh Universe. What's wrong w/having a second?

Other Playhouse Disney shows that are "overgirlyfied"

Handy Manny - Male Lead, but a Female does work at the hardware store. Most of the tools are also male. But is the mayor female??? Haven't watched that closely. May be something to investigate.

Charlie and Lola - 50% Female Domination - Unacceptable I guess???

This is Daniel Cook - Never seen, but Daniel Cook does sound a lot like a Boy's name.

Jo-Jo Circus - You got me on this on. Jo-Jo is a girl. And she has friends that are girls. And a Mom that's a girl. Can't argue with a Mom being a girl.

The Wiggles - Dorthy the Dinosaur is a girl and that girl that dresses up in a bunch of other costumes -- but it is still basically middle aged men.

This Is Emily Yeung - Again a girl. Plus she does work for the Humaine Society -- Most certianly girly and worthless, for sure.

Higglytown Heroes - About a 50/50 split again. Too Girly.

Dan Zanes House Party - I think he's a guy, he is married and brings his wife to WDW for the Magical Beginnings concert series.

Little Einsteins - Dang these 50/50 shows. If it's not majority Male -- too Girly of course.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - Besides side characters Daisy (being 2 degrees seperated from Mickey) and Minnie it's pretty much a guy thing.

Lou and Lou: Safety Patrol - Again not qualified to answer this one, but Lou sounds like a boy's name, unless it's Betsy Lou and Lou Ellen.

Doodlebops - 2:1 ratio. I have no more to add.

Go Baby - I don't think I've ever seen a clearly Girl baby.

Johnny and the Sprites - Some Sprites are girls.

Shane and Shanna on weekends cancel eachother out, but to put Shane on Sunday is Male discrimination. What about Church-goers. They will only be able to see Shanna and never Shane. What kind of message does this send our children?

SO-- in conclusion -- it's Jo-Jo and Emily Yeung bringing down the network.
I agree. It's time for a total re-launch of Playhouse Disney -- and Darby tipped that scale to the worst.
Seriously??? What kind of people are you???

Shide

I don't mind Disney putting a new character in the parks but I just can't help but feel weirded out by Darby. She just looks odd.. almost "Chucky-like." Anyone else feel the same way or am I crazy?
I agree. How would you like to come face to face with Darby in a darkened alley?

WDWKat26

Original Poster

Her hair is parted off to the side, not all over the place.

I don't know why you people think she's creepy, she's a happy character, not a villain. Just wait until most of your kids are going, "Darby! Mommy/Daddy I wanna see Darby!"

Unplugged

Darby is the 1 of the 3 leads in a show and isn't even in the TITLE. I don't see that is an over-girlyfying of a program by any means. Besides the fact that I already mentioned that there is only one other female in the regular and expanded cast of the Pooh Universe. What's wrong w/having a second?

Jimbo....you're really on a roll! Thanks for sticking up for all the little ones, including my 2 year old son who loves Pooh and enjoys the new Playhouse shows. :wave:

My son's attention to the new Pooh & Friends has increased a bit as they have more musical bits. Also, Darby being younger and smaller is easier for him to relate to. Playhouse Disney is a vary broad style that appeals to the little ones for it's use of color, whimsical music, action, and silliness. Little ones are simpler and innocent in their view of life. It's fun, safe, and slightly educational television for them.

We're going in September and I know my little buddy is going to want to visit Pooh, Tigger, and Darby. How old is Christopher Robin by now...shouldn't he be going away to college soon? :lol: He was part o my generation of Pooh and I did question the entire premise of a skateboarding tomboy when Darby was first announced. Having been open to Disney's intentions, I have to admit Darby is cute, has lot's of qualities that are down to earth for their generation, and in general brings a fresh style to our old friends.

ldsprincess

and to answer your question. she's taking the place of Christopher robin in the new my friends Tigger and pooh show on playhouse disney.
woah woah woah! wait a minute! christopher robin's being replaced?!? why. oh my goodness! how can there be pooh without christopher robin?!? i'm pretty shocked and confused...and sad...come back christopher robin!

DW1

And how come Darby gets a character in the parks when Christopher Robin never did. (at least I don't think he did). I'd rather see Gopher or owl.

Figment1986

Who is Darby?

Darby is one of the main characters in "My Friends, Tigger and Pooh" She is a friend to everyone in the hundred acer woods and is a Super sleuth along with tigger and pooh, who work to sole problems and issues around the woods.

It is aimed at the same audience as Mickey Mouse Club House I believe based from the few episodes I have seen, (I don't wake up Saturdays often)

tirian

and to answer your question. she's taking the place of Christopher robin in the new my friends Tigger and pooh show on playhouse disney.

Even though the media information was released almost a year ago for this show, I've still got to ask: What's wrong with A.A. Milne's estate? Why did they allow this?

Dagger

Other Playhouse Disney shows that are "overgirlyfied"

Handy Manny - Male Lead, but a Female does work at the hardware store. Most of the tools are also male. But is the mayor female??? Haven't watched that closely. May be something to investigate.

Charlie and Lola - 50% Female Domination - Unacceptable I guess???

This is Daniel Cook - Never seen, but Daniel Cook does sound a lot like a Boy's name.

Jo-Jo Circus - You got me on this on. Jo-Jo is a girl. And she has friends that are girls. And a Mom that's a girl. Can't argue with a Mom being a girl.

The Wiggles - Dorthy the Dinosaur is a girl and that girl that dresses up in a bunch of other costumes -- but it is still basically middle aged men.

This Is Emily Yeung - Again a girl. Plus she does work for the Humaine Society -- Most certianly girly and worthless, for sure.

Higglytown Heroes - About a 50/50 split again. Too Girly.

Dan Zanes House Party - I think he's a guy, he is married and brings his wife to WDW for the Magical Beginnings concert series.

Little Einsteins - Dang these 50/50 shows. If it's not majority Male -- too Girly of course.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - Besides side characters Daisy (being 2 degrees seperated from Mickey) and Minnie it's pretty much a guy thing.

Lou and Lou: Safety Patrol - Again not qualified to answer this one, but Lou sounds like a boy's name, unless it's Betsy Lou and Lou Ellen.

Doodlebops - 2:1 ratio. I have no more to add.

Go Baby - I don't think I've ever seen a clearly Girl baby.

Johnny and the Sprites - Some Sprites are girls.

Shane and Shanna on weekends cancel eachother out, but to put Shane on Sunday is Male discrimination. What about Church-goers. They will only be able to see Shanna and never Shane. What kind of message does this send our children?

SO-- in conclusion -- it's Jo-Jo and Emily Yeung bringing down the network.
I agree. It's time for a total re-launch of Playhouse Disney -- and Darby tipped that scale to the worst.
Seriously??? What kind of people are you???

I'm with you here, for sure!

Darby is a great addition. My DD knows her, but not Christopher Robin. She will one day know him, but for now, this is what Disney is putting out for the little ones. I guess they felt the need to revamp and give it a theme (mystery solving sleuths.)

I think it's genius because once again Pooh is back on the radar as a top Disney show, rather than an old looking cartoon. (Not that it wasn't good, and that the books aren't good, but this is a perspective you have to consider compared with new technology.) It took my daughter from knowing who Pooh was, to loving him. Once again the Pooh ride is revived for tons of little children who might not have cared *as much* otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom