dandaman Reloaded: 8/22-9/2

Hiya, folks! I just got back from an awesome trip to the World… and then some! I have school starting tomorrow, so excuse any possible delays on posting. Today, I don’t think I’ll even get to WDW with the updates! I’ll writethe report, then put the pictures with captions in the second half.

On with the show!

Day 1: Virginia Company

My family and I woke up around 5 a.m., though truth be told, I doubt anyone got much sleep. We loaded up the car (I think my dad would do wonders playing Tetris…), and left the house about 8 in the morning.

Gee, after that last paragraph, we’re REALLY off to an interesting start.

Anyway, I don’t suppose there’s much to say about today. A few notes from what I recall:

- For some reason, Mapquest had us cut clear across Ohio’s heartland to West Virginia, instead of taking the Turnpike to I-77 at Cleveland. However, it was actually a lot more interesting to drive that way, as there was a lot of different scenery changes I didn’t expect.

- Ate at “the ol’ standby”, Steak ‘n Shake, just before Columbus. The first time we ate here was just outside WDW almost 6 years ago, and I’ve loved it ever since. P.S. To the servers: Is it really that weird to order a Side-By-Side shake with chocolate mint and orange Freeze?… :lookaroun

- Just before hitting West Virginia, there were some really spectacular clouds overhead. It made the scenery look close to perfect.

- We finally arrived in Beckley, WV, around 4 p.m., and did a bit o’ shopping… well, kinda. The family did shopping, while I played some songs on some $25000 digital piano. I was amused, if not briefly. :D

“Ze Photos”

Either those are the weirdest clouds I’ve ever seen, or a thousand jets streaked across the sky without me knowing.

IMG_0415.jpg

If only I’d put the camera settings to 1024x768 instead of the lowest resolution.

IMG_0427.jpg

Ooh, the Ohio River… no one’s EVER seen this shot before.
IMG_0434.jpg

Welcome to redneck country!
IMG_0435.jpg

OMG! They painted the Capitol Building GOLD!

IMG_0456.jpg

…And that’s it for the pics today. Not much you can do sitting around in the car for 8 hours.

Tomorrow, we visit North and South Carolina! (*holds cue card* “Ooh, aah!”)​

dandaman

Original Poster
“But Cedar Point’s is the largest, therefore EVERYTHING else before it must be obsolete!”

IMG_0740.jpg

The seemingly unlit center of Festival Bay…

IMG_0745.jpg

…and its awesomely random fountains!

IMG_0747.jpg

Eh, I never get anything here, save for free stickers. I’m cheap like that. Besides, who ever heard of a Canadian surfer?

IMG_0753.jpg

Some concept model of a water complex they’re planning to add on to Ron Jon. I took this photo right up on the side of the glass, and it turned out pretty cool!

IMG_0754.jpg

Welcome to yaB lavitseF!

IMG_0755.jpg

Eh, we have one at Great Lakes Crossing an hour north of here.

IMG_0756.jpg

No one’s EVER seen this before.

IMG_0761.jpg

“What’s that on the floor?”

“Eew! A bug! Kill it! Kill it!!!”

“Got ‘em!”

IMG_0758.jpg

OMG! They’re eating Little Miss Beerfest! Cannibals! “Invincible, Idle, Wild Snakes on a Plane” sounds good, though.

IMG_0768.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Hooray for rejected Disney stuff!

IMG_0769.jpg

World’s tallest Skycoaster… and most likely, with a price to match.

IMG_0770.jpg

Aah, I love Florida.

IMG_0771.jpg

We took a wrong turn, but I kept persuading my parents to let me go for my coaster credits. Dangit.

IMG_0772.jpg

Just after eating at the world’s finest dining establishment! (Seriously, Golden Corral pwns.)

IMG_0776.jpg

Ze Hotel

IMG_0778.jpg

And subsequently, Ze Lobby

IMG_0779.jpg

“Aren’t they supposed to be intimidated if you act larger?”

“That’s for mountain lions, you moron!”

IMG_0780.jpg

Our neighbouring hotel, which I nicknamed the “Hollywood Tower” just for the colour scheme.

IMG_0781.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
The moment you’ve all been waiting for… is a bit anti-climatic, I suppose.

IMG_0785.jpg

You’ve changed, Hotel Royal Plaza. You used to be cool.

IMG_0788.jpg

First HM of the trip!

IMG_0791.jpg

…And Goofy.

IMG_0792.jpg

“Y’ar, I be a smiling’ pirate, now GIMME SOME MEDALLIONS!”

*squawk* “And some bird food!”

IMG_0795.jpg

Line jumpers beware.

IMG_0797.jpg

Ah, if only I was allowed to do that without being yelled at.

IMG_0798.jpg

For Betty

IMG_0799.jpg

Let me just say this now: I really like Stitch, and he is, in fact, one of my favourite Disney characters. However, this trip especially, I’ve started to see how a lot of people are extremely annoyed. In the “classic” characters shots on every mug, calendar, logo, etc., it now goes (I think) Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Stitch…?! Ugh. Anyway, here’s another prime example of Stitch overpromotion by the Disney company.

IMG_0800.jpg

This guy was pretty funny.

“Now for my next trick, I will change this rope of red, white, and blue colouring. Now, I’m warning you, your kids will be amazed at this, but the adults will be wondering just how pointless this really was. Now, watch as I turn this rope from red, white and blue, into…”

*takes other end in hand really quickly*

“…Blue, white and red! Amazing, I know! BUT, the real question is, can I do it in reverse?!” *FLASH* “Yes!”

IMG_0801.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Nice little frame.

IMG_0802.jpg

Hot roast beef smoothies, anyone?

IMG_0804.jpg

*sigh*… I really want this for the Christmas tree.

IMG_0806.jpg

“Um… Cindy?”

IMG_0808.jpg

Well, this is a good sign…

IMG_0817.jpg

Does this make up for the bad shot a bit earlier on?

IMG_0818.jpg

“I’m a crazy, double-pistol, cursed pirate, now GIMME SOME SOULS!”

IMG_0820.jpg

If you’ve ever wondered what Disneyland would look like with the castle cake enhancements…

IMG_0821.jpg

I really have learned all of my current Spanish vocabulary from WDW!

“Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas.”

IMG_0822.jpg

Our hotel looks a lot cooler at night.

IMG_0835.jpg

And that’s it for today. Tomorrow, the Magic Kingdom!

dandaman

Original Poster
Sorry, folks! Your journey to Lake Buena Vista has been temporarily delayed. Please stay in your vehicles until the ride restarts its forward motion (which should be sometime tomorrow). ;)

Danny, will you write my next trip report? Yours is excellent!

:lol: :eek:

dandaman

Original Poster
Day 6: To All Who Come to This Happy Place, Buy a Dole Whip!

Sorry ‘bout the delay last night. I was pretty tired (fitness testing in gym… if anyone knows what a “beep test” is, I feel sorry for you).

For those of you who didn’t know, I was on the FREE Disney Dining Plan. We still haven’t received our receipt in the mail yet for how much we “spent”, but I’ll guess upwards of $1000!

It was kind of rainy in the morning, but thankfully, it cleared up almost entirely for the rest of the day after around 9:00. We managed to check in to Port Orleans French Quarter around that time, actually, and hopped on a bus to the Magic Kingdom within the hour!

If the sight of the welcome signs don’t tell you “I’m home”, the sight of the castle will do you in. Almost every time we go to the Magic Kingdom by bus, I see the kids pointing excitedly towards “Cindy’s house”, while the adults just get teary-eyed and soak it all in, reliving it again vicariously through their child’s eyes. What other emotional experience sums up WDW better than that?

Getting off the bus, we managed to beat the crowd (you’ll see), and we were in the happiest kingdom of them all about 5 minutes later.

Since Photobucket apparently no longer likes me anymore, I think I’ll let the captions tell the story of the day, and I’ll interject when necessary.

The infamous sign, minus raindrops!

IMG_0836-1.jpg

Just in case you already forgot. If so, your new nickname is Dory.

IMG_0837.jpg

If you think this is obligatory, wait ‘till you see the castle picture overload.

IMG_0839.jpg

Curse you, SHULA’S!!!

IMG_0840.jpg

It’s the Swan and Dolphish Hotel! (Seriously, how is that supposed to be a dolphin? Looks like a carp to me.)

IMG_0841.jpg

Wanted to get a picture of the main sign from the road, but a Magical Express bus was in the way. Suppose this’ll do.

IMG_0847.jpg

Once again, Ze Lobby

IMG_0848.jpg

Aah, excellent year…

IMG_0849.jpg

Our living quarters for the next week or so.

IMG_0853.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Now it’s time to play, “Where’s Mickey?”!

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

In conclusion, I want that comforter for my room…

We were in Building 1, the farthest from the lobby… it was quite nice and tranquil, so this was probably my favourite POFQ stay yet.

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
All right, I’ll confess, I have no idea why I took this. If this photo shows anything, it’s that my camera zoom works surprisingly well.

IMG_0865.jpg

Ha, we skipped the parking!

IMG_0873.jpg

Monorail… THROUGH THE TREES!

IMG_0874.jpg

Mmm… Concourse Steak…

IMG_0875.jpg

Remember when I said we beat the crowds? Well, this is what happens when 3 busses, the express monorail and ferryboat all unload simultaneously. Yikes.

IMG_0876.jpg

First character!

IMG_0877.jpg

Exclusive shot… no one’s ever seen this before!

IMG_0882.jpg

Tried a couple of artsy shots with Walt and Mickey.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Gee, who could this photo possibly be for?

IMG_0883.jpg

Or this one? (Note: I didn’t buy/use a credit here yet. I just took this so I knew where to find it.)

IMG_0884.jpg

And now, for our first WDW ride of the trip…!

IMG_0885.jpg

All right, I just don’t trust that kid.

IMG_0886.jpg

The improvements to Pirates are AWESOME, in my opinion. Like most every WDW attraction, pictures or video don’t do the ride justice. Jack is THERE. Barbossa isn’t too amazing, but still a nice addition. The cannon blasts from the Pearl are a lot better now, as is almost every aspect of the ride since the enhancement. Get out there and ride it if you haven’t!

Moving right along, when we exited Pirates, I had the pleasure in watching the best Disney “street performer” I’ve ever seen: Jack Sparrow in the flesh!

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

Honestly, I don’t think anyone could have done a better Jack Sparrow, save for Mr. Depp himself! Even his voice slurring sounded dead-on, as did all his Keith Richards-inspired wobbly mannerisms.

I don’t know why, but the family went over to Toontown now, and I’ve no pics for in-between. Oh, well.

I still love the fact that almost no one knows about this hidden gem.

IMG_0901.jpg

Truth be told, now I don’t know what I did between now and the next picture, of me exiting Tomorrowland and catching the very end of Cinderellabration.

IMG_0902.jpg

But, here’s an explanation of why: My sister’s friend’s family (huh?) was already planning on going to WDW almost a month before we found out about the free Dining Plan’s return. My family and I managed to convince them to go at the same time as us… so, they’re staying about 3 rooms down from us at POFQ, and have the same reservations, too. (For update purposes, they’re known as the Burkes). The family goes to meet them back at the hotel (they took Magical Express), and I get the park to myself, by my own rules, from 1 to 4:00.

And by my own rules, I must ride Space Mountain 4 times in 45 minutes, thanks to my family’s Fastpasses. I'll take the punishment.

First thing I did, though… as soon as I saw them out of the park, I headed to Casey’s Corner for a really good hot dog, fries, large orange Fanta and brownie. Heh heh.

At that point, I have good news and bad news.

Good: I finally caught the Main Street Trolley Show! Very nice and unexpected treat.

Bad: I couldn’t find a place for my Casey’s tray, so alas, a lack of photos.

I then used up my SM FP’s (acronyms are fun), and fooled around with my camera a bit.

IMG_0905.jpg

Space Mountain… OVER THE TREES!

IMG_0908.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom