D23 - What a joke.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
im kinda jazzed aboot the new walt statue
“Acquisitions”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I knew it....

Would it surprise you to know that I was the head of the student government (several moons ago) at a big conference football school that had the largest number of Greek chapters of any school in the country?

So I worked with them all...with extra interaction with the traditionally minority ones as we had our first real cultural center built at that time?

Mickey5150

What I don't get is that with the announcement of a SSE refurb it seems Disney is fixing something that fans have been crying about for years. The narration is changing, the end is being fixed and they aren't butchering the first half of the ride. You would think that would be enough to make people happy, but instead Disney announced even more changes to Epcot and people still complain. Lol, I just don't get it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I don't get is that with the announcement of a SSE refurb it seems Disney is fixing something that fans have been crying about for years. The narration is changing, the end is being fixed and they aren't butchering the first half of the ride. You would think that would be enough to make people happy, but instead Disney announced even more changes to Epcot and people still complain. Lol, I just don't get it.
They’re worried it’s more IP tie in.

If Epcot is all IP...it becomes magic kingdom 2.0, mgm 3.0, or DAK 4.0

Four IP loaded amusement parks are essentially useless.

Why? They can’t maintain any consistency that way...they’ve already shown it. Can’t keep little mermaid, toy story, frozen or lion king to just one park?!?

Jon81uk

It may be discussed elsewhere bu I thought the Poppins announcement was more of getting a Poppins themed facade and the ride was to be determined later, maybe.

and I see that as a good thing.

The biggest issue this year is that almost everything that was announced TWO YEARS AGO hasn't opened. They really need to hold off on announcing and confirming things until at least the ground has broken on the project.

With Poppins they have confirmed the rumours that it is coming, but not what the ride will be, which gives them something more to reveal later.

Universal demolised Dragon Challenge and did not confirm what was coming until around six months before Hagrids Motorbike coaster opened. This is a much better way to announce new rides as it also stops people putting off trips and waiting for the next big thing.

Jon81uk

Which is exactly why they don't tell you that far ahead. They don't want you to wait they wait you to go now and then again when the new stuff happens. Besides whenever they did announce well in advance all that was said is how long it takes Disney to build anything. It's a very unforgiving/unrealistic fan base.

And this is one reason why the parks had a bad summer, a lot of guests are waiting for Rise of The Resistance to open. Many people didn't go to WDW in 2018 as they knew Star Wars was coming. Waiting to announce a lot closer to open means people that already have trips planned, will start planning the next one to go to the newly announced stuff.

NickPytlinski

maybe disney have been concentrating on all the films they are releasing. the bread n butter of the company.

from what i have seen online, also tim tracker did a vid. i thought it looked pretty cool!

phillip9698

There seems to be a huge misalignment of what fans think this event should be and what corporate treats it as.

Fans want it to be more San Diego Comic Con where you get a chance to meet interesting people of the industry, sit in on exclusive panels, have great merchandising opportunities, and most importantly receive information or footage that has never been shown/shared/leaked/rumored/etc...

Corporate wants it to be a showcase for investors and shareholders, a big event where they can use the media to drive value.

They need to work on giving some meat to the people that are spending time and money going to this event and camping out to attend these panels.

I've been hearing the rumors off and on about a new country, perhaps even Brazil, and couldn't help but wonder if they were going to announce it at D23 as the big secret project until this whole amazon fire thing took hold of the news. This could offer an explanation for why they had to go a different direction. Not an expert here by any means, just a wild guess on my part.

Tom P.

There was no Christmas at all this time. NOT EVEN ONE GIFT.

It was all public information about the extremely lackluster Marvel Land. Got some awful concept art? "DISNEY IS AMAZING." Pathetic.

Same goes for EPCOT, what we got a few new names? WHO CARES. The same bloggers taking photos of their 'drinks' are the ones who appreciate a new EPCOT (ALL CAPS) logo.

Cheap queue for the Mickey Ride? Why are they trying to undersell the ride that was ALREADY SUPPOSED TO BE OPEN.

D23 IS supposed to have some announcements relating to the park. Heck, this one makes the Pixar Pier announcement awesome.

Plus, with all the press Disney is getting over fraud, planting staff to manipulate boards, Disney ruining Spiderman in the MCU, the secret project blunder which mainstream folks reported on, low wages, Uni opening A NEW FREAKING PARK, this is just a further slap in the face.

There's no way to spin this. Uni WILL eat WDW's marketshare, and I am happy about it. Disney doesn't deserve our money. Use points and fly to Japan if you want the parks before we allowed Disney to ruin them, you'll actually save money. The new park at UOR, for all its faults, will have a stellar attraction roster.

Oh and SSE? Don't be excited for it. I would be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful. Get ready for an IP-infused, sparkly mess.

Disney doesn't care about anyone. We need to stop defending them. We are the reason the swamps are the way it is.

Oh, and they try to get us not to complain because we would be attacking poor little Make a Wish kids. Disney doesn't care about them, and they certainly don't care about you.

The fans should be in uproar. Convince me how a period of stagnation against Universal's third park is a good idea.
I thought the announcements from D23 were very exciting. I am happy with the direction that they are taking both Epcot and Walt Disney World. My family and I are still fans of WDW and will be attending for many years to come.

To each his own.

BlakeW39

They’re worried it’s more IP tie in.

If Epcot is all IP...it becomes magic kingdom 2.0, mgm 3.0, or DAK 4.0

Four IP loaded amusement parks are essentially useless.

Why? They can’t maintain any consistency that way...they’ve already shown it. Can’t keep little mermaid, toy story, frozen or lion king to just one park?!?

That's so not true. IP isn't the problem, but rather the correct or incorrect application of said IP is.

The inclusion or lack of IP makes a park absolutely no more or less unique. EPCOT's claim to fame shouldn't SIMPLY be the 'park withour characters'

If IP is executed properly then it is inconsequential to storytelling on a broad scale, or at least not detrimental to it. The way to make each park stand on its own is thematic and nor based on amount of previously existing franchise.

You clearly haven't been to Tokyo, or even Disneyland.

I've not been to Tokyo but I have been to California, and no it doesn't 'blow WDW out of the water' at all. In quality it's mostly comparable just on a smaller scale, although DL is... more filled with attractions than MK.

People are way too hard on WDW. I had massive expectations for DL and somehow it fulfilled all of them because it was the great... but if I had to chose one, I still think WDW is superior if not only based upon scale and diversity of park line up. DL is fantastic but I found DCA to be surprising weak - and it felt tiny in, honestly, kind of a bad way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom