D23 - What a joke.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

...who's Paul? Sorry I'm not new but I most know people by their usenames.
That is a reference to a Beatles song called I Am The Walrus and then later there was a Beatles song called Glass Onion where John declares the "Walrus was Paul". Also in Glass Onion he says "here's another clue for you all" and the word "clue" was a reference to those who believed the "Paul is Dead" myth and thought some Beatles material had "clues" in it explaining why Paul died.

BlakeW39

That is a reference to a Beatles song called I Am The Walrus and then later there was a Beatles song called Glass Onion where John declares the "Walrus was Paul". Also in Glass Onion he says "here's another clue for you all" and the word "clue" was a reference to those who believed the "Paul is Dead" myth and thought some Beatles material had "clues" in it explaining why Paul died.

Oh lol. Silly me.

BlakeW39

"Social unrest? Political corruption? Poverty? Environmental issues? Who cares. BUT IF THEY DON'T GIVE ME BETTER NEW STUFF AT D23 EVERY TIME, I'M GOING TO RISE UP AND LEAD A REBELLION TO OVERTHROW THE EVIL DISNEY OVERLORDS!"

Stop using strawman arguments. This is a WDWMagic forum, what do you expect? "Oh Iger, my Lord and Savior, thank you for all that you have gifted me! I am forever grateful and pledge to you ALL of my money!"

Last edited:

Raineman

Stop using strawman arguments. This is a WDWMagic forum, what do you expect? "Oh Iger, my Lord and Savior, thank your for that you have gifted me! I am forever greatful and pledge to you ALL of my money!"
I think we should expect to have opinions voiced, sometimes strong opinions, but the hyperbole used in this post? A "slap in the face?" Nothing surrounding theme parks, or any other recreational activity, should ever elicit this kind of emotional reaction.

Mickey5150

The best panel was Disney+. Everything else was fairly lackluster. When your big selling point for the convention are the panels, you have to deliver. Disney definitely did not do that and it's definitely disappointing. They have to get out of the cycle of announcing something 5 years in advance (outside of a new theme park) and really let each D23 focus on the next 18-24 months. Announce and share details for what's coming in the next 18-24 months (since D23 is every other year) and then go from there.

Apple has got this down pact. 3-4 presentations a year to talk about WHAT IS COMING NEXT. Not years down the road. In the next 90 days (and usually less time frame than that). The video gaming industry is learning this as well. Don't announce a project years in advance. Talk about it and release it in the next 12 months with other timed releases for info. Disney could learn a lot. Heck, even Universal is getting it right and they're in 'second' place.
When a lot of your guests plan a visit 3 - 5 years out, it makes sense to announce things many years in advance to allow for better planning.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
When a lot of your guests plan a visit 3 - 5 years out, it makes sense to announce things many years in advance to allow for better planning.

Based on that logic, and them not announcing anything in 2024, I guess we should assume nothing is being planned by Disney for that time frame.

Or they realize people are going to come to their parks regardless of what's announced 3-5 years out and have decided to shorten the leash on their announcements because they've had a habit of announcing and having to cancel as of late.

BlakeW39

I think we should expect to have opinions voiced, sometimes strong opinions, but the hyperbole used in this post? A "slap in the face?" Nothing surrounding theme parks, or any other recreational activity, should ever elicit this kind of emotional reaction.

Yeah but you're totally wrong haha. Why would you think that entertainment shouldn't evoke passion or emotional response? That's the goal for storytellers of all kinds lol. You just sound closed minded - not every passionate response has to be to tradgedy of some kind.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The best panel was Disney+. Everything else was fairly lackluster. When your big selling point for the convention are the panels, you have to deliver. Disney definitely did not do that and it's definitely disappointing. They have to get out of the cycle of announcing something 5 years in advance (outside of a new theme park) and really let each D23 focus on the next 18-24 months. Announce and share details for what's coming in the next 18-24 months (since D23 is every other year) and then go from there.

Apple has got this down pact. 3-4 presentations a year to talk about WHAT IS COMING NEXT. Not years down the road. In the next 90 days (and usually less time frame than that). The video gaming industry is learning this as well. Don't announce a project years in advance. Talk about it and release it in the next 12 months with other timed releases for info. Disney could learn a lot. Heck, even Universal is getting it right and they're in 'second' place.
What do you mean?

They “delivered”...

There are thousands of people that went to the big A convention center and dropped several thousand on mass produced, limited edition stuff from the sweatshops next to Shanghai magic kingdom.

Many are on these boards all the time.
Good job, people. May the eBay be with you!

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
What do you mean?

They “delivered”...

There are thousands of people that went to the big A convention center and dropped several thousand on mass produced, limited edition stuff from the sweatshops next to Shanghai magic kingdom.

Touche! They did indeed make a nice profit off of this event.

Tom Morrow

They've announced SO much and taken on SO many projects over the last 5-ish years. They've more than made up for their decade of stagnation. They've overhauled every theme park except Epcot, which they're clearly now addressing. They've doubled the size of Downtown Disney and turned it into the beautiful and upscale Disney Springs. They've been making infrastructure improvements all around. Several massive hotel projects. You don't have to love everything but jeez. Maybe take a step back and look at it a little more objectively?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
They've announced SO much and taken on SO many projects over the last 5-ish years. They've more than made up for their decade of stagnation. They've overhauled every theme park except Epcot, which they're clearly now addressing. They've doubled the size of Downtown Disney and turned it into the beautiful and upscale Disney Springs. They've been making infrastructure improvements all around. Several massive hotel projects. You don't have to love everything but jeez. Maybe take a step back and look at it a little more objectively?

I know its like OP doesn't get that Disney has been changing/updating/expanding sooo much ever since the NFL project was announced back in the day and in the past year alone announcements seem to come on a weekly basis making it hard to keep multiple big projects for the big D23 event anymore.

One thing I do feel a bit annoyed with is the time frame of things opening.
Seems like they take on too much and then this gets delayed and that ends up being finished way ahead of schedule etc but they never keep us int he loop and curious minds want to know.

Raineman

Yeah but you're totally wrong haha. Why would you think that entertainment shouldn't evoke passion or emotional response? That's the goal for storytellers of all kinds lol. You just sound closed minded - not every passionate response has to be to tradgedy of some kind.
There’s a difference between being passionate and acting like a kid who doesn’t get what he wants. How much impact is it going to make in the long run to the OPs, or any of our lives, that Disney didn’t have any big, secret surprise to announce? Is there disappointment for some? Sure. Should you express that disappointment by reacting negatively to the point where you have actual anger over it? IMO, no.

eliza61nyc

Ok so I don't follow D23, I get that it's supposed to be a comic convention for Disney fans. My question is are they supposed to announce major blockbuster things every year?

I mean at some point doesn't that become impossible.

eliza61nyc

What do you mean?

They “delivered”...

Isn't that the definition of all these fan "conventions".

I mean we just had Wizard world comiccon in Philly. I met a whole bunch of people that dropped thousands of dollars to get here (lol, the Philadelphia chamber of commerce thanks you), dropped money to dress up like the favorite superhero and then brought a bunch of trinkets. I met a few more who on top of that dropped a few hundred more to go to a panel with some grade B tv show actors. like the girl from Charmed.

A few years ago we hosted the NFL draft, want to talk about colossal rip off
lol, next year my sorority will hold it's convention in Philly and I'll pretty much do the same.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom