D23 - What a joke.

HongKongFu

the evident disgust, frustration and anger warranted when reacting to announcements of upcoming theme park additions or changes? Does this kind of reaction not resemble elements of toxic fandom?

Fandom for sure......but then most of us likely are fans too since we're here.
Toxic?? I can't say and I don't care either. I say it's more important to examine the content/the argument of post #1 rather than the delivery or the one who delivered it.

Last edited:

Hank Hill

I find it quite astonishing that I have to explain this, but here it goes anyway:

If the trailer shows absolute garbage, total nonsense or an extreme lackluster attempt at making a quality film, then one can safely assume that is indicative of the entire film.

Quite easy to understand really.
If a film has known pollutants as revealed by its trailer(think 1st grade flatulence jokes, slapstick aimed at those with IQ's of less than 80, dead teenager slasher genre) then we should assume those polutants have infected the whole film.

What did you think????....that suddenly the writers and producers suddenly change their writing and production styles throughout the film making?

The directors and writers almost never have a say in marketing. The people making trailers often haven't even seen the whole movie. The director doesn't get to see the trailer many times. Sometime there are scenes that are not in the released movie that the trailer shows. While you can certainly ascertain some info on the genre it may be from the trailer, and can make assumptions based on that, I don't see how one can judge a whole movie based on a trailer. There are plenty of movies that the trailer looks great and people are excited for, and it ends up bombing because the movie is reviewed poorly and word of mouth is terrible. less often, but still happens, there are movies that look bad, are marketed poorly, and the movie is really good. Of course good and bad all depend on the individual viewing it. But the original point is that basing an opinion on limited information is usually not fair.

HongKongFu

I don't see how one can judge a whole movie based on a trailer.

If the released portion shows us complete dog droppings it can not bounce back. There can be nothing left to atone for those sins. Game over. Why? Because damage is done and it can not be undone.

Now, conversely if segments show something promising then anything can happen and forecasting becomes difficult.

HongKongFu

If you're on a first date and meet at a casual dining spot and the first 3 things you see are:
1)she picked her nose and ate it
2)yelled at the server for absolutely no good reason
3) tells you she's on the sex offender registery

don't tell me you're going to wait and see the rest of the "movie" before you can figure out if it's a good one or not because I won't believe you.

Last edited:

mergatroid

If you're on a first date and meet at a casual dining spot and the first 3 things you see are:

don't tell me you're going to wait and see the rest of the "movie" before you can figure out if it's a good one or not because I won't believe you.

You've met my wife? ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
We'll just have to agree to disagree. There's a lot going on, and while it doesn't meet the expectations of many, it's a lot more than they could have planned considering the upcoming recession and all...

Hank Hill

Strawman, I see you're one of those who use distractions and irrelevancies to respond.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There was no Christmas at all this time. NOT EVEN ONE GIFT.

It was all public information about the extremely lackluster Marvel Land. Got some awful concept art? "DISNEY IS AMAZING." Pathetic.

Same goes for EPCOT, what we got a few new names? WHO CARES. The same bloggers taking photos of their 'drinks' are the ones who appreciate a new EPCOT (ALL CAPS) logo.

Cheap queue for the Mickey Ride? Why are they trying to undersell the ride that was ALREADY SUPPOSED TO BE OPEN.

D23 IS supposed to have some announcements relating to the park. Heck, this one makes the Pixar Pier announcement awesome.

Plus, with all the press Disney is getting over fraud, planting staff to manipulate boards, Disney ruining Spiderman in the MCU, the secret project blunder which mainstream folks reported on, low wages, Uni opening A NEW FREAKING PARK, this is just a further slap in the face.

There's no way to spin this. Uni WILL eat WDW's marketshare, and I am happy about it. Disney doesn't deserve our money. Use points and fly to Japan if you want the parks before we allowed Disney to ruin them, you'll actually save money. The new park at UOR, for all its faults, will have a stellar attraction roster.

Oh and SSE? Don't be excited for it. I would be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful. Get ready for an IP-infused, sparkly mess.

Disney doesn't care about anyone. We need to stop defending them. We are the reason the swamps are the way it is.

Oh, and they try to get us not to complain because we would be attacking poor little Make a Wish kids. Disney doesn't care about them, and they certainly don't care about you.

The fans should be in uproar. Convince me how a period of stagnation against Universal's third park is a good idea.

You presented yourself as an insider.

So... why were you surprised by this?

eliza61nyc

Toxic?? I can't say and I don't care either. I say it's more important to examine the content/the argument of post #1 rather than the delivery or the one who delivered it.
The problem is when you go on benders and post filled with hyperbole it's very hard to even understand the content. So basically op is ranting that because D23 evidently did not deliver some type of blockbuster news that wdw is doomed, universal will take all their customers and we should all be mad about it.
So number one is I don't follow D23 and I damn sure ain't paying to join, so my love of the parks is not based on something said or not said at a convention.

He lost me when he assumes that SSE will be in his words a "sparkly mess"

KevinPage

D23 = stand in 10 hours lines to sit and watch a panel about a movie. The sheer logic of that baffles me to no end. I can read the same announcement and see the same photos online while being next to my fridge and a private toilet down the hall, all without having to spend $$$ to go to this event.

I expect nothing from D23, therefore I’m not disappointed. I don’t care about movies and TV shows, only park related news, which seems to be an afterthought these says for events like this.

zurj

Ok she could have plenty of good reasons for those things
1) How do you know what's in her nose? Could be something delicious .
2) She had a good reason. The server testified against her in court... said he saw her drop something in a martini at this very restaurant.
3) Yeah... I had just told her I registered to go back to community college. Just a bit of polite conversation.

Got super tired immediately afterward though... Slept through the whole movie.

MinnieWaffles

It was all public information about the extremely lackluster Marvel Land. Got some awful concept art? "DISNEY IS AMAZING." Pathetic.

Same goes for EPCOT, what we got a few new names? WHO CARES. The same bloggers taking photos of their 'drinks' are the ones who appreciate a new EPCOT (ALL CAPS) logo.

Cheap queue for the Mickey Ride? Why are they trying to undersell the ride that was ALREADY SUPPOSED TO BE OPEN.

D23 IS supposed to have some announcements relating to the park. Heck, this one makes the Pixar Pier announcement awesome.

Plus, with all the press Disney is getting over fraud, planting staff to manipulate boards, Disney ruining Spiderman in the MCU, the secret project blunder which mainstream folks reported on, low wages, Uni opening A NEW FREAKING PARK, this is just a further slap in the face.

There's no way to spin this. Uni WILL eat WDW's marketshare, and I am happy about it. Disney doesn't deserve our money. Use points and fly to Japan if you want the parks before we allowed Disney to ruin them, you'll actually save money. The new park at UOR, for all its faults, will have a stellar attraction roster.

Oh and SSE? Don't be excited for it. I would be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful. Get ready for an IP-infused, sparkly mess.

Disney doesn't care about anyone. We need to stop defending them. We are the reason the swamps are the way it is.

Oh, and they try to get us not to complain because we would be attacking poor little Make a Wish kids. Disney doesn't care about them, and they certainly don't care about you.

The fans should be in uproar. Convince me how a period of stagnation against Universal's third park is a good idea.

Way to throw a tantrum like a kid who's mummy wouldn't let her have another Barbie doll. Always amazes me how people who think they're such great "insiders" throw such big temper tantrums when they're wrong or Disney announces something they don't like.

JusticeDisney

Sorry, but you lost all credibility when you characterized what WDW is doing right now as a “period of stagnation.”

Raineman

I just find that an emotional delivery tends to mask the point that the poster is trying to make. I’ve done it numerous times-something I saw online ticked me off, and I fired off a post right away while I was still ticked off. I understand what the OP is saying, even though I don’t agree-but the extreme emotional delivery of the opinions sometimes overpowers any logic that the OP may actually be trying to present.

Mike S

"Social unrest? Political corruption? Poverty? Environmental issues? Who cares. BUT IF THEY DON'T GIVE ME BETTER NEW STUFF AT D23 EVERY TIME, I'M GOING TO RISE UP AND LEAD A REBELLION TO OVERTHROW THE EVIL DISNEY OVERLORDS!"
I think of it this way. Some people look to entertainment to escape the horrors of the real world. When the entertainment they look to starts to get bad, they can get mad.

The original post is a bit much though.
It wasn't terrible (announcement wise).

I think a lot of people were looking at EPCOT. And when you take a look at what's been happening at EPCOT the last couple of months/years combined with the things announced yesterday:

GoG Roller Coaster (Cosmic Rewind)
The division of Future World (I'm not particularly fond of the names)
The multi-tiered bar/observation/festival area - whatever it is.
New Nighttime show
The Moana Water Attraction
The Space Restaurant
The new Japanese Steak House
The new Restaurant in France
Ratatouille Ride
The new BBQ joint in the American Pavilion
The new Poppins ride and expansion in the UK Pavilion
The Play Pavilion

There is movement. I was still hoping for clarification on Figment and an announcement of a new pavilion.

My biggest issue with the whole thing was the delivery of the Presentation. There were times I felt Chapek was an animatronic and I was just trying to figure out which ride they were going to stick him on. Please let it be DL.
He kept getting stumped on certain words too. It was pretty awkward at certain points.

Mickey5150

Who is planning actual day to day itineraries 3-5 years in advance? If they are, it's just for fun. So much can change in the weeks leading up to a trip, you can't be expecting to make hard plans that far in advance. People take that much time to save the money. They need dates and resort to book. Not daily plans 3 years out.
I wasn't talking about daily plans. If you have to save up for a Disney vacation and it will be at least 3 years out then knowing what is coming can help you decide if the trip is in 3, 4 or 5 years. If a family is huge Star Wars fans and we're planning a trip when Galaxy's Edge was announced then they definitely would wait until it opened to go on their vacation.

Goofyernmost

I wasn't talking about daily plans. If you have to save up for a Disney vacation and it will be at least 3 years out then knowing what is coming can help you decide if the trip is in 3, 4 or 5 years. If a family is huge Star Wars fans and we're planning a trip when Galaxy's Edge was announced then they definitely would wait until it opened to go on their vacation.
Which is exactly why they don't tell you that far ahead. They don't want you to wait they want you to go now and then again when the new stuff happens. Besides whenever they did announce well in advance all that was said is how long it takes Disney to build anything. It's a very unforgiving/unrealistic fan base.

Last edited:

bjlc57

i have to agree with the original poster.. this announcement was almost as exciting as putting a penny in a gum ball machine and getting nothing.. because that's about how big this announcement was worth.. All the build up.. and the hype and and all the nothing. Obviously the upper management doesn't get it.. People have started not to come to the park.. you raised prices and deliver next to nothing.. your nearest competitor just announced a new plan and park and you have announced a sing along with a word that no one can spell..( its a Mary Poppin's song) they tell me that you read the forums.. that you "hear the people" .. Obviously not.. heck you just lost your key connection for the future Marvel movies because you were greedier then normal.. ( your friendly neighborhood Spiderman) .. Again.. I am telling you just how flippn' close we came to pulling the pin for not one but Two WDW Trips in one year only to have Victory snatched away by your corporate greed.. i mean we were down to crossing the "t's and dotting the i's on the annual passes.. ( giant price increase) .. no I am sorry but the slippery slope is coming .. economics works for every one .. no one is immune.. and no administration as poorly acted as this one , can possibly avoid it..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom