• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News D23 Expo 2019

larryz

Can't 'Member Anything
Premium Member
I also should add here a word of caution for anyone attending their very first D23 Expo.
These suggestions are based on the research I did before I attended my first Expo in 2015, and from personally experiencing the Expo in person once.

Perhaps these observations can help others out.

The Expo.
It is chaotic, confusing, and exhausting.....but, yes, can be fun too.

Some tips to help others avoid the many pitfalls and possible disappointments -

DO YOUR RESEARCH - I cannot stress this enough!
I would have had a terrible experience if I had not done my research ahead of time and read other fans' experiences and opinions on what it is REALLY like to experience this.
Knowledge is indeed power, and learning all you can before arriving in Anaheim will increase your chances of having a great time.

DON'T arrive at the crack of dawn on Friday to try to enter the venue at it's scheduled opening time.
About five thousand fellow attendees( or so it appears outside, trust me ) are trying to do the same thing.
The line situation to just enter the Convention Center is absolute mayhem.
Good luck trying to find the end.....
Folks will line up for hours just to get in that morning to have first crack at everything.....so unless you absolutely MUST see the first panel of the day or buy that certain merchandise item, avoid the area until 11am or later.
Every eBay reseller within a 500 mile radius is there that morning to scoop the Limited Edition merchandise that is Expo exclusive....as well as hundreds upon hundreds of attendees.
BE SMART - wait until 11am or later and avoid the long lines and stroll through the entrance like a boss!
I did this two of the three days and it was a far more pleasurable , and less stressful entry experience.

DECIDE WELL IN ADVANCE what you absolutely 'must do' or see.
Except it now - you will NOT get to see /do everything you would like to unless you have scored a 'Sorcerer' ticket.
Much of your time will be waiting in lines, and the reserved options fill up quick.
Choose ONE or TWO panels each day of attendence you really want to experience and focus on those.
Having a good plan of attack is absolutely crucial when dealing with the complicated and often back to back scheduling of events, shows, and entertainment options.
Often panels or shows you might like to experience are scheduled at the same time.
Know your priorities!

STUDY the D23 Expo Schedule closely - Use the official Expo APP and NOT the official Expo website for the most complete schedule listings.
The app schedule listing there, at least the year I attended, was FAR more informative and most importantly complete then compared to the 'schedule' listed on the official D23 website.
I nearly missed a autograph session that was the absolute highlight of the Expo for me because of the website not having the full schedule of events.
Don't have that almost happen to you....which brings me back to my first tip - RESEARCH!

DO keep your eyes open and pay attention to the people around you.
You just never know who you might see!

And finally, DO have a great time.
:)

-
Sounds like they've made attending D23 every bit as much fun as planning a five-day vacation at WDW.

Rodan75

Fresh from the Disneyland subforum, major new developments about Al Lutz and the Walt Disney Company.
So is this confirmation that Gary Snyder is the Spirit? Ever since that China piece it seemed as if that was the case. The writing style is very similar. (Maybe that is old confirmed news?)

CalebS

There seems to be a lot fewer rumored new attractions for this D23 compared to the last. That leads me to believe that it will mostly be about the 50th anniversary celebration and the Epcot spine as well as information about previously announced attractions. Fingers crossed AK gets a surprise announcement

brb1006

So yeah.....
How about that D23 Expo...?

Here are a few quick drawings I did that sum up the Expo experience....from a certain point of view.
I drew these a couple of weeks before attending my first ( and only ) Expo in 2015.

Turned out, these were quite spot on.

The 'Fantasy' and 'Reality' of attendee expectations.

View attachment 399493

View attachment 399496
I remember when these drawings was first posted. It feels like yesturday when they revealed Toy Story Land, Pandora (Then called Avatarland), and Galaxy's Edge (Then called "Star Wars Land"). Along with the first look at the characters from Zootopia, and Gigantic (still sad about that film getting shelved). :(

BTW: Really love your drawings, you should do more illustrations like these every once in a while. Especially your drawings of Tony Baxter and Figment.

goofyyukyukyuk17

Hey everybody. It seems to be a common theme that most people, including myself, didn’t get any reservations for the D23 Expo. My question is, what time should I plan on lining up to get into the D23 Gold Member Queues for the Walt Disney Studios and Parks presentations on Saturday and Sunday? I know that the line officially opens at 7 the night before, but I can’t believe that if you don’t get in line then, you won’t get into those presentations. Maybe I’m wrong. This is my first Expo, and I was wanting some thoughts from people who have attended before. Thanks!

BrianLo

Hey everybody. It seems to be a common theme that most people, including myself, didn’t get any reservations for the D23 Expo. My question is, what time should I plan on lining up to get into the D23 Gold Member Queues for the Walt Disney Studios and Parks presentations on Saturday and Sunday? I know that the line officially opens at 7 the night before, but I can’t believe that if you don’t get in line then, you won’t get into those presentations. Maybe I’m wrong. This is my first Expo, and I was wanting some thoughts from people who have attended before. Thanks!
The Gold Queue is for a select few hundred people who get in ahead of the stage pass crowd.

Typically to be part of that queue requires overnighting, otherwise you'll be more towards the 'front' of the standby queue (but still after all the stage pass crowd).

Supposedly you can get into standby ~90 minutes ahead of time and still potentially make it into the presentation.

All of which is to say either get into the gold queue at 7PM or just get into the standby 2-3 hours ahead.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
If anyone still believes anything they read online, expect this presentation to be Epcot heavy. There should be something for Shanghai and something for Hong Kong, a few Marvel things for DCA (but don’t call it Marvel) including something I don’t think is “out”’yet - well not in the US (and it’s not Slingshot), boat stuff as well but plenty about Epcot. New CV film details. The UK project everyone’s waiting for. SSE. And the thirds of Futureworld.

Plus a few other WDW items outside of the berms. One of them just outside.

Last edited:

Franklin47disneyguy

If anyone still believes anything they read online, expect this presentation to be Epcot heavy. There should be something for Shanghai and something for Hong Kong, a few Marvel things for DCA (but don’t call it Marvel) including something I don’t think is “out”’yet (and it’s not Slingshot), boat stuff as well but plenty about Epcot. New CV film details. The UK project everyone’s waiting for. SSE. And the thirds of Futureworld.

Nothing for Paris Marvel area?

britain

If anyone still believes anything they read online, expect this presentation to be Epcot heavy. There should be something for Shanghai and something for Hong Kong, a few Marvel things for DCA (but don’t call it Marvel) including something I don’t think is “out”’yet - well not in the US (and it’s not Slingshot), boat stuff as well but plenty about Epcot. New CV film details. The UK project everyone’s waiting for. SSE. And the thirds of Futureworld.

Aw, I was really hoping for DL Tomorrowland news. Thanks for the rundown!

Viveen

Any chance we could hear something about an Fantasyland expansion at Disneyland?

Top Bottom