D23 Expo 2015

yensidtlaw1969

I think we have one more bona fide E ticket on the way, regardless. The good news is that Toy Story Land, as announced, could open long before any other DHS additions so we don't have to wait five years before we see ANY new additions.
Indeed, I think that is the big win here. The park needs more to do and this will probably come sooner rather than later. I'd have to guess at least 2017 since no construction has started yet, but perhaps someone with more insight can shed some light.

Star Wars sounds, if not from the horses mouth then at least from the insiders, like it has some big, shiny tricks up its sleeve. If Toy Story can make the wait more bearable, I'm all for it.

lebeau

Yes...because it has a possibility of changing behavior.

Complaining that Disney isn't putting in 12 "E" tickets will never change a thing.

:D

I realize you're exaggerating for humorous effect, but that's not even close to what people are saying.

They would have liked more than a total of four new attractions likely to be spaced out over 5 years (not counting Avatar). I really don't think that's an absurd position. If someone complains about a lack of double-digit E-tickets, I will join you in mocking them. They can't be pleased.

And no, we're not changing anyone's behavior here. Just entrenching ourselves in our already held positions.

Figments Friend

I'm dead. That killed me. Toy. Story. LAND!?

Help me please.

My impression seeing the panel in person was this was to be a Cars Land quality themed land.
Not a cheap addition with carnival rides...but we shall see.
I came away from it feeling this was much bigger in scope.

The two new Attractions were touted as 'completly new' and unique experiences for any Park to date.
So 'all new' as compared to 'clones'.
This is encouraging .
A unique themed 'Slinky Dog' coaster, and a DL 'Flying Saucers' types of Attraction themed to the little green aliens.
Looked neat.

jensenrick

Did you even look at the concept art? Please show me a carnival with a large-scale launching coaster. Some people will never be pleased.

Did you even look at the post I was replying to? I was reacting to the idea, "hooray we DIDN"T get Carsland, we got this instead."

Maybe this "family" coaster will be nice, maybe it will be GREAT. But no matter how "great" this exposed track family coaster is, I don't see how anyone can think it will be BETTER than Carland. Just sayin'.

I'm hardly one of the "never be pleased" types. Frankly I've MUCH more pleased about today's announcements for DHS than a LOT of folks around here. (No surprise with the rampant negativity on this board.)
I think, in particular, that the Star Wars announcement takes anything I thought we were going to get and blows it out of the water!

So you might want to direct your ire to those who see all the great new plans for DHS and call them "underwhelming."

Bairstow

I may be misreading, but are you talking about the Slinky coaster? I missed the mention of it being a launching coaster, where did that come from? And as for theming... Extensive? Hardly. It's got a plastic dog face on the cars, and the rest is just an exposed track, like at any Six Flags. Not what comes to mind when I think of an immersive experience, that would more be something like the Tron coaster or Thunder Mountain.

Definitely not launched. The animatic and concept art of the land clearly indicates a lift hill.
Thing looks slow as hell, too. There's a banked 90-degree turn breaking up the first drop into halves.
As for themeing, that's to be determined. Mangum said, "along the way you'll see Rex, Hamm, Trixie, Jessie, and green army men all triggering things along the way."
Now, whether this means full animatronics or plywood cutouts with little speakers in front of them to play a voice clip as you go by is anybody's guess since there was no concept art showing the themeing of the ride.

What interests me is the track shape.
Mangum came right out and said that the coaster itself is going to be built by a "ride partner" and judging from the animatic they showed this thing looks more like a Mack junior coaster than a Vekoma or Zierer, which would be a first for Disney.

ToTBellHop

Definitely not launched. The animatic and concept art of the land clearly indicates a lift hill.
Thing looks slow as hell, too. There's a banked 90-degree turn breaking up the first drop into halves.
As for themeing, that's to be determined. Mangum said, "along the way you'll see Rex, Hamm, Trixie, Jessie, and green army men all triggering things along the way."
Now, whether this means full animatronics or plywood cutouts with little speakers in front of them to play a voice clip as you go by is anybody's guess since there was no concept art showing the themeing of the ride.

What interests me is the track shape.
Mangum came right out and said that the coaster itself is going to be built by a "ride partner" and judging from the animatic they showed this thing looks more like a Mack junior coaster than a Vekoma or Zierer, which would be a first for Disney.
It has a launch in the middle.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think that's the load station.

Load station appears to be on the right, the "launcher" is to the left before the second fill. I am not 100% convinced it's actually a launcher, but it's possible.

Capture.JPG

ToTBellHop

I think that's the load station.
The picture quoted in the post below yours clearly shows a launch. The hill after it is too tall to be a continuation of the ride without propulsion and too steep to be another lift (3 supports from bottom to top versus 6 for the lift). The station is further back, at the back of the queue building. There seems to be an LSM lift hill into the first half of the ride and then an LSM launch through those rings into the second half. It's not Incredible Hulk but it's also not your grandma's family coaster.

Bairstow

Load station appears to be on the right, the "launcher" is to the left before the second fill. I am not 100% convinced it's actually a launcher, but it's possible.

View attachment 106070

Ah, I see now. I was just going off the video in Mangum's presentation.

The picture quoted in the post below yours clearly shows a launch. The hill after it is too tall to be a continuation of the ride without propulsion and too steep to be another lift (3 supports from bottom to top versus 6 for the lift). The station is further back, at the back of the queue building. There seems to be an LSM lift hill into the first half of the ride and then an LSM launch through those rings into the second half. It's not Incredible Hulk but it's also not your grandma's family coaster.

It actually says, "SUPER LAUNCHER" on it, doesn't it?

In that case, maybe this is a Gerstlauer family coaster in the same class as Firechaser.
Launch would likely be friction wheel-driven rather than LSM, though.
The track shape would fit even better than Mack, now that I think about it.

CentralFLlife

Obviously artistic license is always at play, but it is interesting that the coaster track looks like Intamin track. They're definitely more involved in the launched coaster game, but also had a rather public falling out with Disney over California Screamin'.
That was my thought too, but lately it seems like more and more companies are using a similar track. Gerstlauer and Mack have used similar profiles in the last few years, and each one of them has been building some excellent "Family" coasters the last few years most of which have launches. And its not necessarily an LSM launch, they've been using a hulk type wheeled launch on a few of them. Plus intamin doesn't build family coasters like this

ToTBellHop

Ah, I see now. I was just going off the video in Mangum's presentation.

It actually says, "SUPER LAUNCHER" on it, doesn't it?

In that case, maybe this is a Gerstlauer family coaster in the same class as Firechaser.
Launch would likely be friction wheel-driven rather than LSM, though.
The track shape would fit even better than Mack, now that I think about it.

Definite possibility.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And I think you'd be surprised that a lot of people - maybe even the majority - don't tour the parks the same way you do.
I'm sure they don't. But I've never heard a single person come back from a week at Disney complaining that there wasn't enough to do. The only people who feel that way are the people who visit a thousand times. A 20 year old show isn't old to most guests because they've only seen it a few times if they only go every 5 to 10 years. The Godfather came put in 1972 and I've seen it a hundred times and still enjoy it every one of them. Who cares if a show is old if it's a GOOD show?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom