D23 Dissapointment

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm so confused... I don't see anywhere saying "There will be no announcements."

Of course they're not going to say if there will be any! This is Disney!

"Does this mean we should temper our expectations about big new ride announcements during this year’s Expo?
DAVE FISHER, Walt Disney Imagineering: We’ll be using the Expo as an opportunity to really give fans a look into the inner workings of Walt Disney Imagineering — especially in our “Imagineering Open House” pavilion on the D23 Expo show floor. Fans with a keen eye might spot clues about work currently in development, but we will not be making any new product announcements at the Expo this year. However, we have a few surprises in store…"

Dfan48

For some thats what theyre saying but in the japanese versions there are going to be surprising announcements going to happen,so If I were all you I would still go you maybe into a surprising D23 and if youre a real Disney Fan you should go there.In Fact what that Imagineer is saying is not totally 100% and in fact all of those things threads and rumors that we make each day,maybe a few of those might come out.you dont really whats going to happen at D23 talk about odds.well here in Japan theres going to be tons of Happiness in this years very first D23.so if youre an ultimate Disney fan you should go.but lets see on whats really going to happen in this years D23 maybe this years expo might an unpredictable one.well thats just my opinion.

NoChesterHester

Obviously, there aren't going to be major theme park announcements at every D23, at least not for stuff in the states. Meaning Disney doesn't announce a new land every two years. They have announced NFL and Avatarland . . . there simply isn't enough money to constantly be adding new lands, especially not with Shanghai and other projects.

There are now five resorts worldwide and a cruise line. There should absolutely be enough properties for major theme park announcements every two years. No, we shouldn't expect a major expansion every other year for WDW - that is ludicrous.

And why does it only have to be big announcements of lands and not just announcements of future attractions or big refubs? If there ever was a forum where they would get good feedback from announcing a refurbishment this would be it. Refurbs are lost of the general media.

Oh and Capex is being eaten by Next Gen. In subsequent years they built two cruise ships and did Cars Land. There is plenty of money, don't be silly.

I go to Disney World with my family. It costs a lot of money. I don't find it unreasonable to expect them to earn my coming back. I am the first to shout when people are being ridiculous on expectations, but expecting nothing and being happy with it? NO. NOT GOING TO FLY.

Pixiedustmaker

As for no announcements at the Expo, if true, it es me off not because that's why I'd go to the Expo, but because if not then, when? When will expansion be announced? Unless they pull an AVATAR Land, it could be a while...which means more time until these lands open for business. The clock is ticking, and it's not as if these additions weren't needed yesterday.

Disney put their money where the biggest growth/help is needed: Shanghai, and building up Hong Kong.

WDW attendance grew by about 2%, spending in the parks went up more, so . . . from a financial standpoint, I doubt anybody at Burbank thinks they need to put more into WDW *above* what they spent on NFL and will theoretically spend on Avatarland.

WDW has ride/guest capacity issues, yes, but completely removing attractions/lands isn't a cost effective way to address this.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sorry dudes, I don't understand the grabbing of the pitchforks here. One, Disney, the company, is much more than Parks and Resorts, and TWO, that Q&A was typical Disney obfuscated speech that you can't read into one way or another. It's for promotion not information.

I'm going to the expo and I'm pretty excited about it with or without huge mind-blowing announcements. It's fun to see other fans, check out what's new, and just be in the atmosphere of the thing. That's definitely not for everyone, but the sardonic come-backs from people not even attending is a bit much.

In fiscal 2012 P&R was 30% or Disney's revenue and 19% of it's operating income, making it a pretty big part. Exactly how is "but we will not be making any new product announcements at the Expo this year" and obfuscated statement?

Pixiedustmaker

In fiscal 2012 P&R was 30% or Disney's revenue and 19% of it's operating income, making it a pretty big part. Exactly how is "but we will not be making any new product announcements at the Expo this year" and obfuscated statement?

There have been so many amazing announcements and openings, and given that Iger was public about no major cap ex in the parks beyond what was made/budgeted for NFL/Avatar, nobody should be surprised that there won't be any big announcements:

Carsland opens 2012
Iger announces Star Wars acquisition in 2012
NFL to be fully open early 2013/2014
Avatarland theoretically beginning construction at some point.
Mystic Manor
Grizzly Gulch
Shanghai . . . a massive castle park, newly developed lands and attractions, 2013 construction begins in earnest.

And that 19% doesn't include Aulani and the cruise ships, plus the percentage of the stock value of the company theme park wise is somewhat lower, I think closer to 11%, given that the parks are high maintenance.

Californian Elitist

The expo is loads of fun... If you get there at the crack of dawn. The 2009 expo was a blast because there weren't many people there and I got to see everything I wanted. The 2011 expo? CROWDED. Everyone and their parents were there. I didn't get to see one panel on my list. That was a definite fail.

I may or may not go this year. I don't really care about the lack of announcements for Disney parks. There are plenty of other exciting things besides Disney Parks announcements. The only reason I'm contemplating is because of the crowds.

Pixiedustmaker

Oh and Capex is being eaten by Next Gen. In subsequent years they built two cruise ships and did Cars Land. There is plenty of money, don't be silly.

There is money . . . it is being used to finance Star Wars, and to build Shanghai and add attractions to Hong Kong Disneyland and DLP.

It's an odd time for a big CapEx expenditure, with Iger kinda shuffling closer to the exit.

These things go in cycles, they'll see what Avatar/NFL do for WDW, look at trends, and in the future make plans for the next five year cycle.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There have been so many amazing announcements and openings, and given that Iger was public about no major cap ex in the parks beyond what was made/budgeted for NFL/Avatar, nobody should be surprised that there won't be any big announcements:

Carsland opens 2012
Iger announces Star Wars acquisition in 2012
NFL to be fully open early 2013/2014
Avatarland theoretically beginning construction at some point.
Mystic Manor
Grizzly Gulch
Shanghai . . . a massive castle park, newly developed lands and attractions, 2013 construction begins in earnest.

And that 19% doesn't include Aulani and the cruise ships, plus the percentage of the stock value of the company theme park wise is somewhat lower, I think closer to 11%, given that the parks are high maintenance.

The quarter earnings reports talk about Aulani and the Cruise Ships in the Parks and Resorts section, why wouldn't they be included in those numbers?

Pixiedustmaker

The quarter earnings reports talk about Aulani and the Cruise Ships in the Parks and Resorts section, why wouldn't they be included in those numbers?

Ooops, typo. Meant to say it does include those numbers. Meaning that the theme parks themselves aren't, on paper, a super big chunk of the company, but if you look at it from the brand synergy angle, the parks are integral.

HenryMystic

Is that confirmed? I can't imagine this thing being at all successful without the Parks and Resorts presentation.
From Ricky Brigante

http://www./2013/06/imagineering-op...ay-of-2013-d23-expo-with-60-years-of-history/

But fans expecting a big Disney Parks and Resorts presentation in the D23 Arena will be surprised to learn there will not be one this year, replaced by this series of smaller, more in-depth looks at specific projects in lieu of an overview of what’s to come.

When asked about the change, D23′s Jeffrey Epstein explained the shift in their approach. “Based on guest feedback, we are doing more panels/presentations in the other venues, which will enable parks to focus on specific topics while also catering to an overall larger crowd over the three days,” said Epstein.

Splitting the theme park topics up between different smaller presentations instead of one big one in the Arena gives Disney a chance to spread the information and entertainment out across multiple audiences, according to Epstein. “As for ‘smaller’ — please keep in mind Stage 23, where many of these presentations are happening, is 2,000 seats, which means on Sunday alone, there’s a capacity of 10,000 — more than double the arena,” he said.

There will be small WDI presentations (honoring 60 years of WDI/WED) like this gem:

The Art and Artistry of Aulani – Imagineers Joe Rohde and Jeanette Lomboy will share the authentic tapestry of art and stories found at Aulani, A Disney Resort and Spa.

This is a shame because I was VERY excited about this year's Expo.

Oh, and the Expo is getting Fastpass
http://www./2013/06/2013-d23-expo-t...ering-attendees-less-stress-waiting-in-lines/

Pixiedustmaker

He also said, "new product" announcements. Why would he said products instead of attractions?

WDI can be seen as a company within a company which produces "products" for guests, such as theme parks, lands, attractions, and whatever else they might dabble in. Seems a sterile way to say, "no new rides being announced" without having that become the sound bite/tweet.

Yensid1974

I would think that the Imagineering Open House would serve much of the same function . . .

You would be wrong then. The P&R presentation isn't about learning about WDI as a business unit. While I do like them having a more in depth approach at the Expo to getting inside P&R/WDI it is not a replacement for the presentation. This, if all plays out, is another year without any major parks announcements there will be much disgust in the land of the WDW fan. You were right before too about not having too many new projects out there, but it has been a while since there were any. 2009's Expo, which I attended, was the last one. Projects overseas aren't the same to the Disney fan since they are places most people will never go. They want, and deserve, the parks here to be upgraded. No, I'm also not saying they aren't spending any money here, just not in the way most guests would like to see and after all it is about the guests isn't it?

GiveMeTheMusic

Disney put their money where the biggest growth/help is needed: Shanghai, and building up Hong Kong.

The problem with your theory is that Disney isn't paying for more than a fraction of SDL, and doesn't pay for everything at HKDL. WDC is a minority owner in both resorts; financing is a joint venture as well.

He also said, "new product" announcements. Why would he said products instead of attractions?

Because within the asinine corporate world of P&R, shows, rides and the like are referred to as "product." I'll never forget the first time I heard it - it was a pitch meeting for atmo entertainment for the Year of a Million Dreams promotion. Everyone kept saying "High School Musical product for DCA" and "Princess product for Fantasyland Theater" and "Star Wars product for Tomorrowland Terrace" - my jaw went slack when I finally figured out they were referring to shows.

HMF

Because to most of the top brass at Disney that is what they think of them as. "Attractions are products to be consumed, not unique experiences that cannot be experienced in everyday life" is likely what Bob Iger, Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs think of "Disney Parks".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom