D23 Dissapointment

asianway

So.... what exactly is the point of D23? Just wondering.
To occasionally attend an event where an imagineer or "historian" spends anywhere from a couple hours to a couple days rehashing how great WDW used to be. I dont know about anyone else, but Ive long since graduated from the school of being entertained by the likes of Captain Saltyhinder.

WDW1974

So will the DHS expansion even be announced this year? Now they can take their sweet little time with it...

There are no guarantees with Disney (or any other company). Even when things are announced or construction starts, there are no guarantees that the projects will open in their proposed form. That's just life.

I can only tell you what I know that is accurate when I tell you.

Kman101

I mean, people can't lie? What are they going to say?

"OMG! ANNOUNCEMENTS GALORE!!!"

I have no general expectations anyway, so, whatever happens, happens, but my first thought was why on earth would they spoil anything before the actual event. Not saying I expect big announcements either, but still ... And besides, insane things have been leaked anyway. Not like we don't already 'know'

bubbles1812

I mean, people can't lie? What are they going to say?

"OMG! ANNOUNCEMENTS GALORE!!!"

I have no general expectations anyway, so, whatever happens, happens, but my first thought was why on earth would they spoil anything before the actual event. Not saying I expect big announcements either, but still ... And besides, insane things have been leaked anyway. Not like we don't already 'know'
It certainly would build some anticipation and excitement... And Disney could use some of that, especially since NFE didnt get quite the traction and bump in attendance they expected/wanted. And somehow I doubt only talking about the Mine Train when it FINALLY opens... a year+ from now, plus additions in foreign parks people cant afford to get to wont cut it.

And honestly, if they said it, it would also probably get more people to D23, and make it a wee bit more relevant too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I would read nothing at all into the canned, not candid, responses fed to Dusty and Co.

This is Disney trying to get out in ftont of leaks and appearing on top of things. Nothing more, nothing less.

But if they were going to announce something why such a firm negative statement? I am used to Disney being vague and evasive with thier statements when they don't want to talk about something.

HMF

I would read nothing at all into the canned, not candid, responses fed to Dusty and Co.

This is Disney trying to get out in ftont of leaks and appearing on top of things. Nothing more, nothing less.
That is pretty much what I suspected. In my personal experience before official announcements it is almost a Company requirement to play dumb, deny and act like you know nothing until after it's announced.

GLaDOS

That is pretty much what I suspected. In my personal experience before official announcements it is almost a Company requirement to play dumb, deny and act like you know nothing until after it's announced.

But there's no Parks and Resorts Panel whatsoever. Just small (very small compared to the panels) events.

Where will the announcement come?

luv

Seriously!? Not Star Wars land? Not CarsLand? Not Monstropolis or the MI coaster? Not a new Soarin' or Imagination?

What in the world would it take to make you happy?!
Don't care at all about Star Wars or Cars. Monstropolis? Could be okay.

If Disney built a real thrill coaster, outside, and my feet could hang down, I'd be excited about that. But it would have to be up there on the level of (if not better than) RRR, Dragon Challenge, Kraken and Manta. Not like Everest. A REAL coaster.

A new, cleaned-up film for Soarin would have me saying, "It's about time they got a clean film in there" and not saying, "OMG! Wow! Amazing!"

What would make me happy? Clean, pretty parks (and bathrooms!) with nice landscaping. Efficient, pleasant staff. Good food at somewhat reasonable prices. Good rides that were well maintained. Extra street entertainment. Quality t-shirts. That would make me very happy, indeed.

And good maps. Newbies need bigger, better maps.

Deep pools in which to do laps at the water parks.

Thanks for asking! That was fun! :)

Next Big Thing

So.... what exactly is the point of D23? Just wondering.
You do realize that Disney is a HUGE media conglomerate that expands from Pixar to ESPN to Marvel to Star Wars and beyond. Parks and Resorts is one part of the company. It's a big part of the company, but if you've EVER been to a convention like this before, you'll know that walking around and experiencing everything the floor has to offer is just as much, if not more of a part of the experience than the presentations. And P&R was ONE presentation out of many.

FigmentJedi

If Disney built a real thrill coaster, outside, and my feet could hang down, I'd be excited about that. But it would have to be up there on the level of (if not better than) RRR, Dragon Challenge, Kraken and Manta. Not like Everest. A REAL coaster.

The problem with all of those is that they aren't "theme park rides". The way I see it, a good theme park ride is something you can describe without getting into what the ride system or track layout is. You know like Plinkett's character test. All those real roller coasters you described are Qui-Gon Jinn and Amidala to a Disney Mountain's Han Solo and C-3PO.

(Slight language warning)

MickeyPeace

Personally I want to spend my hard earned money to travel to CA to hear nothing about new attractions just as much as I want to renew my D23 Gold membership who's magazine covers used to feature the parks and now promotes the latest film. Really D23?

Pixiedustmaker

It's not like Disney isn't investing in the parks!

They've spent billions on DCA 2.0, NFL combined, and they're working on Avatarland. There is ongoing construction as we speak, in the Magic Kingdom on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride . . . oh, and they're spending about $2 billion of their own money on Shanghai Disneyland.

Attendance at WDW is up, and NFL is generating some interest, probably even more so when 7DMT opens. I'm not a fan of Mermaid, it is a clone of ride that isn't perfected and seems half-finished, but 7DMT is a new ride mechanism/tech for a Disney park. Even though it doesn't have the number of show scenes I'd like, it could be well received by the public.

There are many, many obvious logistical and fiscal issues with putting Carsland in DHS. Not the least of which is the heat. I don't think anybody seriously believed that they were going to take out Osbourne Lights, which some have referred to as DHS's most popular seasonal offering.

El Grupo

Has there been any major additions announced for the WDW or DLR theme parks since Avatar?

Frankly, I'd rather hear from guests and/or bloggers that walls have gone up in the parks. Save the formal announcements regarding new attractions when construction has already begun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom