D23 Dissapointment

NoChesterHester

I don't think that difficulty working with creative super powers, like Cameron, qualifies as WDI not being capable of moving quickly. WDI sure has been busy if you look at the entire range of projects being worked on.

Let it not be forgotten that WDI butted heads with J. K. Rowlings, and she left because of disagreements which perhaps her ego wouldn't let her move past . . . that experience helped her when she took a second shot at it with Universal, no doubt in my mind. Universal had been looking at doing a Potterland for a long time as well . . .

It wasn't just JK's ego... WDI is covered by people with no shortage of ego.

Pixiedustmaker

Spreading capital investment and cash outflow. Investors have been expecting a "cool down" in capital spend after the $5B spree of Dream, Fantasy, NextGen, DCA, and Fantasyland.

The Avatar announcement was a business announcement that was more about a partnership between Disney and Cameron than about "Avatarland at DAK." The fan/promotional announcement hasn't happened yet.

That's the vibe I got too. Iger wanted to send a message to corporate powers that be. Perhaps one was George Lucas, perhaps another was institutional investors.

Darth Tater

If Disney doesn't announce something or somethings (very plural) as in new lands and or attractions this year to be coming soon you can just picture the Uni Orlando people just sitting in a chair licking their lips and rubbing their hands together saying "exxxxxxxcellent"
Did you see the 2012 theme park attendance report? Universal's massive additions in the past years didn't even come close to topping a stagnant DAK with a broken yeti.

TP2000

I said DAK, not DHS. Avatar was announced almost two years ago. The timeline has always been 2017 and still is 2017. The budget is somewhere in between Fantasyland and DCA expansion.

When it was announced in 2011, Avatarland was slated to open in 2015. Then that slipped to 2016. And then this past May, George K. did a media interview where he threw out the "Summer, 2017" date. And construction was supposed to start this year. Anyone seen a bulldozer yet? It's already July.

And into early 2012, Bob Iger was still using the original 2015 date publicly with major media. From the Orlando Sentinel on March 18, 2012... http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...20318_1_disney-vacation-club-iger-theme-parks
'A new land themed around the "Avatar" movie franchise is likely to open in Disney's Animal Kingdom "sometime in 2015," according to the Walt Disney Co.'s top executive. Disney President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger provided the rough target date during a question-and-answer session at Disney's annual shareholder meeting in Kansas City, Mo.'

From this website, but not sure the last time this info blurb was updated...
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avatar.htm
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide is joining forces with visionary filmmaker James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the world of AVATAR to life at Disney parks. Announced on September 20 2011, the project will see an AVATAR-themed land begin construction at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2013, with opening expected in 2016. The budget is speculated to be in the region of $500 million.

Captain Neo

If orlandounited is to be believed Disney is done if they don't announce something radical soon. Appearntly universal is now on track to deliever 1-2 major projects a year for the next 3 years. Does Disney really think they can compete with infrastructure that has been falling apart since the 90s and a new kiddie coaster that took 3 years to build? C'mon son

TP2000

BVS opened before Carsland, didn't seem to hurt Carsland much. I get that you're frustrated that you can't ride 7DMT because it hasn't been finished, but for the vast majority of average guests . . . I don't think the longterm impact is there.

Huh? :confused:

Buena Vista Street was first opened to the public on Monday June 11th, 2012.

Cars Land opened to the public four days later, on Friday June 15th, 2012.

And DCA was entirely closed to the public for a massive media party on Thursday June 14th, 2012.

So Buena Vista Street operated for three days, June 11th thru 13th, before Cars Land opened on June 15th.

WDWDad13

Did you see the 2012 theme park attendance report? Universal's massive additions in the past years didn't even come close to topping a stagnant DAK with a broken yeti.

Yeah I saw that and honestly I don't Uni will ever top Disney don't get me wrong...but they are loving the trend and are having many more Disney vacationers visit their parks now too

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney Springs inexpensive? The resort alone is going to cost a pretty penny. As for what they are putting in DAK, remember the Wharf? I'll believe DAK when it is built and we see what that expansion really gets whittled down to. Meanwhile DAK is just delays and speculation with a completion time frame that keeps drifting farther and farther away. DHS, we're discussing it plenty, Disney not so much, last I heard there are not any D23 Expo announcements this year...speaks volumes.

What resort? I haven't heard of any plans to build a resort at Disney Springs?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney Springs is relatively inexpensive compared to what's going into DAK and what's being discussed for DHS. It also fills distinct needs for locals and international visitors. Domestic guests probably view the expansion less favorably than those two groups.

Haven't you been following this thread? Nothing is coming to DHS. ;)

Longhairbear

What's been unsaid here, is that anyone reading this thread that is going to D23 needs to ask a few questions in person. Avatar, DHS, and what are you doing to combat Universal? When given the opportunity, ask, especially if it it is in a large auditorium with a large audience listening.

PhotoDave219

Universal is playing catch-up. They went about 10-15 years without any sizable investment or expansion.

Theyre laying the groundwork to officially surpass Dak/DHS in the next several years.

Thrill Seeker

Universal is playing catch-up. They went about 10-15 years without any sizable investment or expansion.

Theyre laying the groundwork to officially surpass Dak/DHS in the next several years.

As Disney fans, we need to be rooting for Universal. All these new additions will hopefully give Disney a kick in the pants, hopefully causing some actual new quality work. We need Universal to be doing well to cause that.

PeterAlt

It's now very clear. This current management team cares more about the Asian theme park market than they do about the US theme park market. The good news is that in 2015, they'll be a an incoming management team with different policies, ideas.

Sue_Vongello

It's now very clear. This current management team cares more about the Asian theme park market than they do about the US theme park market. The good news is that in 2015, they'll be a an incoming management team with different policies, ideas.

I think you need to add the qualifier "hopefully" before ... "with different policies, ideas."

bubbles1812

NFL will be open for decades to come and will draw in millions of guests, and how guests respond to it, in terms of wanting to return, maybe years later with their kids, will be based on the merits of this land. I don't think that 20 years from now people are going to be saying that NFL was a failure because it didn't open all at once. I don't think anybody will remember.

BVS opened before Carsland, didn't seem to hurt Carsland much. I get that you're frustrated that you can't ride 7DMT because it hasn't been finished, but for the vast majority of average guests . . . I don't think the longterm impact is there.
I never called NFE a absolute failure... Please stop twisting my words. And I'm not even frustrated I can't ride the Mine Train as it looks fairly mediocre like the rest of NFE. And I'm not even talking about the "long term impact" (I love how you miss every point everyone makes with your word vomit posts). It was very obvious they were expecting a Carsland like bump with NFE. They didnt get it. And that was partially do their drawn out roll out... And their slow build. They are slow builders. Geez, learn to get on topic.

bubbles1812

I don't think that difficulty working with creative super powers, like Cameron, qualifies as WDI not being capable of moving quickly. WDI sure has been busy if you look at the entire range of projects being worked on.

Let it not be forgotten that WDI butted heads with J. K. Rowlings, and she left because of disagreements which perhaps her ego wouldn't let her move past . . . that experience helped her when she took a second shot at it with Universal, no doubt in my mind. Universal had been looking at doing a Potterland for a long time as well . . .
Eh? Where did I ever mention Cameron in my posts? Do you just make stuff up in your head? I wasn't referring to Avatar in my post. And we are talking about WDW love, in my post. Not Shanghai or whatever other place you want everyone to talk about that no one else wants to.

And yeah... Your last sentence makes tons of sense... I am sure Universal had tons and tons and tons of work done on HP before they even knew JK would be coming to them. Nothing like spending millions in development costs on a property it looks like your rival is going to get (at least at that time until JK left). Even if they had been "thinking about a Potterland," I highly doubt they would have done much work before JK came to them. There would have been no point. Make a little sense why don't you... But you aren't worth my time, so say whatever silly post you want to back. It will still look stupid.

lazyboy97o

What makes you think the team will change? Iger said he's leaving. Most of his team was Eisner's team.

PeterAlt

What makes you think the team will change? Iger said he's leaving. Most of his team was Eisner's team.
Two words: fresh blood. I'm sure the next team will carry on much of Iger's people. It's the person who is at the top of the totem pole who has the last say and sets the agenda. When Roy Disney, died, the same people who were part of his team continued on but the company's management was very different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom