D23 Dissapointment

PeterAlt

Losing market share to Universal will be far more damaging than an announcement of a $1 billion investment in the parks.
I totally agree, which is why I think that if they don't start going on the offense and barely even a defense, this is the kind of long term damage that I think the big stockholders I mentioned would protest against as elections get close.

Taylor

Just because he is better than Rasulo does not mean he is the right person for the job. The only reason Staggs gets a free ride from the fanbase is because he is only slightly more likeable than Rasulo whose tenure as Chairman of P&R was disastrous for the parks. To use a Star Wars analogy Staggs is Darth Vader, Rasulo is the Emperor.

To be fair Vader redeemed himself by killing the emperor and saving Luke in the process. Staggs could do something similar :)

HMF

To be fair Vader redeemed himself by killing the emperor and saving Luke in the process. Staggs could do something similar :)
Staggs is an Eisner Strategic Planning alumni. He is definitely part of the problem not the solution.

Taylor

Staggs is an Eisner Strategic Planning alumni. He is definitely part of the problem not the solution.
I know. And I agree with you Staggs is a bad choice to become the head of the Company, IMO it should be Snider or Kennedy

Longhairbear

I'm thinking I might wanna use some of my DVC points to book a room at VGC which will be sold out at this late date, or at Paradise Pier, the DLH will certainly be booked for D23. I'd love to be at Trader Sam's to overhear the thoughts of D23 attendees. I might hear something if I book HoJo's, or Candycane Lane. Darn it all.

alphac2005

I totally agree, which is why I think that if they don't start going on the offense and barely even a defense, this is the kind of long term damage that I think the big stockholders I mentioned would protest against as elections get close.

As a child, I visited Florida and California on a yearly basis. I breathed the pixie dust, loved it. As for my kids, their grandparents took them to WDW a month ago and they were left unimpressed, again. They're all about Universal whether it's Despicable Me, Popeye, Spiderman, Transformers, etc. The Magic Kingdom was a complete zoo and the lines were seemingly endless for them with them having to play Frogger trying to avoid the throngs of strollers littered throughout the park.

It's the same story over and over, short-term profit over long-term gains will always damage a brand and therefore long-term profits. BUT, it should be noted that companies like Disney are typically 2/3 controlled by institutional investors that care about one thing, short-term gains.

My children were primed up to be the next generation of (Walt) Disney consumers, instead, they are completely indifferent towards Disney. Innovate like Cartoon Network for kids on TV, innovate like Universal for parks, and stop the absurd flood of marketed products. Toothbrush aisle (and any other commercial product for that matter) for kids: A) Mickey B) Disney Princesses C) Marvel D) Disney Channel Property E) Muppets. It's just too much. If it's everywhere, then it loses the ability to being special and grand. Remember, it's all about the BRAND. There is no Walt Disney in brandology, it's simply DISNEY movies. Ugh.

PeterAlt

I know. And I agree with you Staggs is a bad choice to become the head of the Company, IMO it should be Snider or Kennedy
I have a suspicion that Lucas installed Kennedy as president of his companies before selling them to Disney as a very shroud maneuver in order to gain influence of the entire Walt Disney Enterprises in 2015. This maneuver makes Kennedy a natural front runner for the CEO job, or other top managerial position. Lucas could then use his voting power, as one of the company's top stakeholders, to vote Kennedy into this new title. Naturally, the Steve Jobs Family Trust (that company's biggest stakeholder) will vote with Lucas. The creatives will win back control of the company in 2015. It's a no-brainer.

Magenta Panther

I have a suspicion that Lucas installed Kennedy as president of his companies before selling them to Disney as a very shroud maneuver in order to gain influence of the entire Walt Disney Enterprises in 2015. This maneuver makes Kennedy a natural front runner for the CEO job, or other top managerial position. Lucas could then use his voting power, as one of the company's top stakeholders, to vote Kennedy into this new title. Naturally, the Steve Jobs Family Trust (that company's biggest stakeholder) will vote with Lucas. The creatives will win back control of the company in 2015. It's a no-brainer.

I sure hope you're right. I may be no fan of Iger and Eisner buying up old already-developed stuff for Disney, but I do respect the creativity that went into the creation of Star Wars. Having creative people, instead of a cement-headed CEO, in charge of Disney again would be pretty sweet.

Skip

Disney and more has provided a lot of insider information in the past, and they have a lot of info about the specifics of D23.

None of the other sites with legitimate insider info have reported on a massive DHS refurb, much less an announcement at D23. The DHS rumors was either implausible (Carsland, StarWarsland and room for Pixar at DHS (?), good-bye Osbourne . . .), or just an amalgam of internet fan rumors made up by a looney tunes CM somewhere who figured one component might be true. The rumor seems like just somebody's idea to get fans excited for nothing . . .

I get the feeling you don't think the DHS expansion rumors are true. Could you maybe elaborate? Several dozen times?

"ALL INSIDERS ARE ACCURATE... EXCEPT THE ONES HERE WHO ARE REPORTING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!!!"

FigmentJedi

Apparently they're replacing the Parks and Resorts Arena slot with a screening of Planes in the arena.

Video's basically my reaction

RememberTheMagic

Original Poster
In the latest edition of the Disney Dish podcast(released today), Jim confirmed Star Wars Land and included that it would definitely be announced come d23. This was probably recorded prior to the announcement, but it was very recent because he mentioned the Muppets on broadway being tested a couple weeks prior to recording and that occured around June 10-13. So we'll see

PeterAlt

In the latest edition of the Disney Dish podcast(released today), Jim confirmed Star Wars Land and included that it would definitely be announced come d23. This was probably recorded prior to the announcement, but it was very recent because he mentioned the Muppets on broadway being tested a couple weeks prior to recording and that occured around June 10-13. So we'll see
Okay, soooooo, what's up with all this conflicting info. Star Wars Land? No announcement as was alluded to at the beginning of this thread? Cars Land? Both?

Pixiedustmaker

Okay, soooooo, what's up with all this conflicting info. Star Wars Land? No announcement as was alluded to at the beginning of this thread? Cars Land? Both?

There were some dubious rumors floating around on the net that DHS would get Carsland, StarWarsland and would have room for an additional Pixar ride. (Sounded like the Mad Hatter on speed with Scrooge McDuck's gold card, to me) The insiders on this board confirmed that at D23 there would be a major announcement in which this massive demolition/construction project at DHS would be announced, they reported it was leaked by a CM/forces inside of Disney opposed to D23 (for some personal vendetta?).

Then a Disney imagineer said that there would be no new product announcements at D23, the Parks and Resorts arean presentation was cancelled, and Disney and More (a legitimate insider site), has more specific details about what will happen at D23. The insiders say they are trying to figure out "what happened".

The DHS rumors, in my eyes and probably others, seemed suspect given that they were an amalgamation of some fan rumors, and didn't seem feasible/fiscally possible.

Nonetheless, some are wondering if perhaps a massive announcement will be made before D23, or after it . . . the Disney and More article talks about Avatarland development, Shanghai and various issues why they can't release artwork for what they are going to do in Shanghai, etc . . .

It was said that sharp eyed fans will see some "hints" about WDI is working on with regards to future projects. I'm surprised that the fans here aren't figuring that WDI might sneak in a little concept art of what a new project at WDW might look like in case Burbank writes them a check.

RSoxNo1

Apparently they're replacing the Parks and Resorts Arena slot with a screening of Planes in the arena.

Video's basically my reaction

They had a Lion King 3D showing in 2011. Again, not a replacement.

The Parks and Resorts presentation was cut, it wasn't replaced. It's safe to say that the other parks related presentations would have been there regardless of whether or not announcements were ready.

ScorpionX

What is there to read into, to me it flat out says there will be no new attraction announcements.
To me, it seemed as if Jeff dodged the question. He said that there wouldn't be anything major. But in the very next sentence, he tells us to be prepared for some surprises. There wasn't at all a definitive answer given.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom