D23 Dissapointment

backinaction

I think it's pretty clear that a large number of people who never or rarely went to Universal, are now going to start. I mean you can't ignore whats going on over there. Personally, I will be splitting up my vaca 50-50 next trip. I'm very excited for transformers and harry potter 2.0. I can't say the same for anything Disney is doing including the mine train or carsland. IMHO, FLE was a bust unless your 10 years old or less.

bhg469

I think it's pretty clear that a large number of people who never or rarely went to Universal, are now going to start. I mean you can't ignore whats going on over there. Personally, I will be splitting up my vaca 50-50 next trip. I'm very excited for transformers and harry potter 2.0. I can't say the same for anything Disney is doing including the mine train or carsland. IMHO, FLE was a bust unless your 10 years old or less.

I'm right with you but I cannot afford to go for a few years. I'm probably staying at the new uni resort because it seems to deliver a value resort but more benefits. I would definitely say I'm spending at least 50% of my time at universal. The only thing I'm looking forward to is Disney springs and that's just a one time visit. Sad when the thing they allow you to go to for free is more interesting that something they spent millions on in the parks.

lazyboy97o

Two words: fresh blood. I'm sure the next team will carry on much of Iger's people. It's the person who is at the top of the totem pole who has the last say and sets the agenda. When Roy Disney, died, the same people who were part of his team continued on but the company's management was very different.
That assumes fresh blood will be brought in and they don't go the safe route and promote somebody like Rasulo or Staggs.

RSoxNo1

I'm not buying that the leaks caused headaches for the D23 planners. The exposure on sites like this, while substantial in the fan community is not substantial as a major press event. If Disney publicly acknowledges a Star Wars land is coming to Hollywood Studios it will be national (if not global) news. These leaks are anything but.

RSoxNo1

Spreading capital investment and cash outflow. Investors have been expecting a "cool down" in capital spend after the $5B spree of Dream, Fantasy, NextGen, DCA, and Fantasyland.

The Avatar announcement was a business announcement that was more about a partnership between Disney and Cameron than about "Avatarland at DAK." The fan/promotional announcement hasn't happened yet.
The fact that Joe Rohde is scheduled to be at the D23 Expo, but there is no arena presentation scheduled is also very confusing. I don't understand bringing him in to talk about something that opened 2 years ago.

RSoxNo1

I'd sell the other half quick, once they actually stop the quantitative easing the entire market will correct. Buy, ride it up, repeat
Disney stock is at an all time high. I've taken my original investment out, what I have left is gravy. The thing is, the spending of money doesn't result in a drop in share price. Leveraging assets against new investments is a good thing.

I don't doubt that expansion is coming to Hollywood Studios, but I'm still dumfounded why they wouldn't announce at the D23 Expo where such an announcement would get the greatest exposure.

PeterAlt

This shareholder sold half his stock the same day it was revealed that there will be know Parks and Resorts presentation...
@danlb_2000 said: ↑
Shareholders will not tolerate a fall in profit, even a small one.

Not true, if it sacrafices long term profits, for the most part. I'm speaking for the big shareholders that I know.

Pixiedustmaker

I'm not buying that the leaks caused headaches for the D23 planners. The exposure on sites like this, while substantial in the fan community is not substantial as a major press event. If Disney publicly acknowledges a Star Wars land is coming to Hollywood Studios it will be national (if not global) news. These leaks are anything but.

^Agree.

Potterland seemed to have gotten a huge amount of publicity in the mainstream media. Videos clips of butter beer and Hogsmeade were ubiquitous. People who aren't following the theme parks instantly 'got' the idea of Potterland. I think that NFL was a harder concept to market, people who aren't Disney fans do, kinda remember Beauty and the Beast, but you can't look at the whole project and say this is straight from a beloved movie.

I think that when Disney does a StarWars project, if it is large, like the size of a land, then it will get public attention especially if it looks like it is its own world. That's the sort of story that the media loves to follow with headliners like, "Get Your Lightsabers Ready! Fans of Star Wars will soon be able to experience the world of Star Wars thanks to a new theme park area designed by Disney."

It will be big national/global news. Carsland got a moderate amount of press, mostly over the merits of the land itself, not exactly, "now you can experience the world of Cars like fans have always dreamed". Disney ran a lot of commercials in my area. I don' think that even fans of Cars figured that Radiator Springs would be an amazing place to visit in a theme park, you can, after all, visit similar towns along Route 66. It happened to work out amazingly well.

Genie of the Lamp

Possible reason as to why there won't be a P&R presentation?:
From Alain Littaye at Disney and More;

"Well, from what i've been told the Avatar project is not yet finalized and any designs about it are so classified that no Imagineer not working on the project is allowed in the Avatar design room, the Star Wars land project is not ready yet to be presented as well as anything about Shanghaî Disneyland until everything about SDL will be approved by the Chinese as Disney is afraid that any bad comments could make the Chinese asking for major changes in the project. With the impossibility to announce or release more info on these three major projects, there was not a lot of major things to be announced (at least for the U.S. Parks as the Ratatouille ride/area already officially announced is for Disneyland Paris)."

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2013/06/d23-expo-parks-and-resorts-presentation.html

Any truth to this?

pheneix

Possible reason as to why there won't be a P&R presentation?:
From Alain Littaye at Disney and More;

"Well, from what i've been told the Avatar project is not yet finalized and any designs about it are so classified that no Imagineer not working on the project is allowed in the Avatar design room, the Star Wars land project is not ready yet to be presented as well as anything about Shanghaî Disneyland until everything about SDL will be approved by the Chinese as Disney is afraid that any bad comments could make the Chinese asking for major changes in the project. With the impossibility to announce or release more info on these three major projects, there was not a lot of major things to be announced (at least for the U.S. Parks as the Ratatouille ride/area already officially announced is for Disneyland Paris)."

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2013/06/d23-expo-parks-and-resorts-presentation.html

Any truth to this?

That jives with information I have heard about D23.

That being said, the world does not revolve around D23. WDPR may choose to act more aggressively on getting new projects into gear and in this case whether or not they are ready to announce at D23 is not going to be a concern. They will announce when they are ready to announce.

HMF

How he added SWMC to FLE half-way out in place of Pixie whateveritwas and Disney Springs instead of Hyperion Warf.
Just because he is better than Rasulo does not mean he is the right person for the job. The only reason Staggs gets a free ride from the fanbase is because he is only slightly more likeable than Rasulo whose tenure as Chairman of P&R was disastrous for the parks. To use a Star Wars analogy Staggs is Darth Vader, Rasulo is the Emperor.

Pixiedustmaker

Disney and more has provided a lot of insider information in the past, and they have a lot of info about the specifics of D23.

None of the other sites with legitimate insider info have reported on a massive DHS refurb, much less an announcement at D23. The DHS rumors was either implausible (Carsland, StarWarsland and room for Pixar at DHS (?), good-bye Osbourne . . .), or just an amalgam of internet fan rumors made up by a looney tunes CM somewhere who figured one component might be true. The rumor seems like just somebody's idea to get fans excited for nothing . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom