Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Something that seems really odd to me is that with everything that got announced at D23 for WDW, we still have some glaring holes in the park that are not being fixed.

Specially....

1. Abandoned Wonders of Life at EPCOT
2. Journey into Imagination at EPCOT
3. Pixar Short Film Festival at EPCOT
4. Stitch's Great Escape at MK

I would think all four of those would be at the top of the list to fix before everything else.

peter11435

The capacity gain at hollywood studios and animal kingdom being so minimal if any at all is so disappointing with lines being as long as they are. I guess long lines increase lightning lane revenue!
This will actually be a capacity gain for DAK.

Indy will obviously be the same as Dinosaur just with more demand.

The Carousel will have slightly higher capacity than Triceratops Spin

Encanto will have much higher capacity than Primevil Whirl but since that’s been gone for years it’s essentially a net gain.

Zootopia will have similar capacity to Bugs, however bugs is very underutilized at this point. So the attraction should accommodate significantly more guests.

Lilofan

Something that seems really odd to me is that with everything that got announced at D23 for WDW, we still have some glaring holes in the park that are not being fixed.

Specially....

I would think all four of those would be at the top of the list to fix before everything else.
Isn't Wonders of Life hopping with the alcohol sales of all things booze during Food and Wine? Even the cast members have designated hours when they can buy their booze also.

aladdin2007

Specially....

While its a long wait, I think they are saving those two for the 50th along with SE...but not sure how much longer they can just keep letting them limp along. Its becoming embarrassingly bad show. As for #4 its ridiculous they can't get something going there.

I think they have more on their plate than they can handle now honestly, too much is catching up to them that should have had attention long before now.

Last edited:

doctornick

This will actually be a capacity gain for DAK.

Indy will obviously be the same as Dinosaur just with more demand.

The Carousel will have slightly higher capacity than Triceratops Spin

Encanto will have much higher capacity than Primevil Whirl but since that’s been gone for years it’s essentially a net gain.

Zootopia will have similar capacity to Bugs, however bugs is very underutilized at this point. So the attraction should accommodate significantly more guests.

That's utilization gains, not capacity gains. But also: losing the Boneyard.

And I don't think Disney should get credit for closing something and then putting something in its place years later as something being an "addition" (also see: new Mermaid show)

Andrew25

Specially....

I agree, however I think Disney is working through finalizing ideas for what a new Tomorrowland will look like before shoving something into Stitch. (I think Stitch gets a replacement prior to major overhauls in Tomorrowland to boost capacity)
Epcot I have a feeling will get additions in 2027-30, just to early to announce.

This is ridiculous. 7 "new rides" - one is just changing the film for a screen ride.

But more importantly, "2 replacements". I see all the following being replaced: Dinosaur, Triceratops Spin, Boneyard, Liberty Belle, Tom Sawyer Island and likely MuppetVision (or alternatively Launch Bay and Disney Jr). :rolleyes:
Was rushing to get this out, counted incorrectly:
1723654115098.png

Of the 5 replacements, only real loss is Dinosaur. All of these additions will add capacity since people will actually experience them.

I'm not excusing the removal of RoA (I think aesthetically it's a bad choice), but far more people will experience a Cars Ride in 1 hours than everyone who experiences Tom Sawyers in one day.

peter11435

That's utilization gains, not capacity gains. But also: losing the Boneyard.

And I don't think Disney should get credit for closing something and then putting something in its place years later as something being an "addition" (also see: new Mermaid show)
Yes, I specified that Zootopia will be utilization gains. But encanto and the carousel will both be capacity gains. Over TS and PW.

doctornick

Yes, I specified that Zootopia will be utilization gains. But encanto and the carousel will both be capacity gains. Over TS and PW.

Even ignoring Boneyard, so? I mean, that's nice that they are spending 100's of millions of dollars and having some slight capacity increase. I'm sure after this is done that DAK will be somewhat better than currently though it will suck in the meantime when stuff goes off line.

But you know what would be better: spending hundreds of millions of dollars and keeping what they already have while adding something more. That's even greater capacity gains.

doctornick

Very honestly, all my enthusiasm coming out of the weekend has evaporated. And not because of "what" is coming to WDW, but in "how" it is all being implemented.

And despite my rants about certain aspects, it's not even about the specific locations per se but actually the philosophy. specifically: why do they continue to replace at WDW instead of add?

DAK and DHS are two parks that suffer from the same fundamental issue. There is not enough to do at them. And it's a bit of a feedback loop because since there isn't enough stuff to do relatively to attendance, the things they do have get very long waits which means you end up spending enough time in the park but not doing enough. Having a bunch more things that would spread out crowds and reduce wait times would allow guests to both experience more in general but also make the waits they do have more pleasant.

And on top of that, we already see complaints with tiering at WDW for LLMP which is a direct result of (again) not having enough to do so they have to ration the attractions that they have. DLR which has a lot more attractions doesn't have the same issue and they don't have tiers (and wouldn't even if they had advanced booking). The volume of ride capacity relative to attendance is much better distributed there which means that people can have better days and do more.

So, with this in mind, they announced a bunch of "additions" that are just completely backwards for WDW:

1. Attractions at DAK that are only replacements, no additions. Even if you consider PW long gone (you shouldn't) and so Encanto is "new" capacity you are also losing the Boneyard with no replacement

2. An attraction at DHS that seems poised to be a replacement - MuppetVision going away most likely - and being built in the park boundaries that are too small

2a. And then we get rumors of a potentially shorter term "addition" which seems like it will be Incredibles replacing RNR. So again, plenty of money invested, no actual capacity increase.

3. Rather than put something in the vacant Stitch building or build Moana on the AL expansion pad, we see a massive construction project in a guest facing area in MK that involves removal of (yes underutilized) attractions. We also have rumors of replacing HoP with Muppets which again would more money spent not even changing capacity or netting anything new.

I don't get it. Honestly, I really don't. Are the people making the decisions this stupid? Do they not understand what "addition" means? Do they not see the lines for rides and the complaints about not being able to do enough? Or not booking enough on LLMP to make it worthwhile? Does anyone in charge actual realize that they have multiple parks that have fewer than 10 rides after being open for decades?

How tough is it to look at a map and say "this area is currently not developed, let's put something there that gives guests more stuff to do"? It's a very simple concept. And there are tons of such spaces in each of the parks.

Pretty much the only thing really that good to come out of this for WDW is the Villains expansion and the light parade. Which I'm very happy about both, but ironically they "help" the park has the least needs.

I was actually pretty excited going into this past weekend as I thought that finally they realized that the way they have been treating WDW is wrong and they needed a different approach to make the parks better. Okay, Dinoland was going to be what it was but I expected everything else to be largely gains - TLK on new land in DAK, Moana on new land in MK, BBTM (whatever was chosen) on new land in MK, anything in DHS to be using backstage (e.g. animation building footprint). I didn't expect anything for Epcot except maybe an Inside Out show in Magic Eye (yes, that would be a replacement, but what is there is a placeholder IMHO not a real attraction). Anyway, maybe not all of that stuff but I figured whichever came out would be a new gain for the parks.

And yet somehow they managed to not to that. At all. It's really unfathomable.

doctornick

Oh and as a follow up to that: it's noteworthy that DCA was announced to get 4 new rides and maybe one of them is replacing something there. Somehow in a park that already has like 20 rides is managing to fit in multiple more but one that have under 10 need to remove stuff to get anything new. Unbelievable.

Never thought there was a desire from people for dinoland usa to stay. That place was gross in terms of theming even though it was intentional and always stuck out like a sore thumb. My family always avoided that area because we didn’t want carnival rides when we could go to our local county fair and ride carnival rides.

Specially....

My best guess is that they need content for next year show. Seems like the new lands will take up the bulk of the next 5 years of major announcement space - so I wouldn’t be surprised if next year is more dedicated to ride placements like stitch.

doctornick

Never thought there was a desire from people for dinoland usa to stay. That place was gross in terms of theming even though it was intentional and always stuck out like a sore thumb. My family always avoided that area because we didn’t want carnival rides when we could go to our local county fair and ride carnival rides.

Remove Dinorama? Yes. Ideally for a good dinosaur themed ride (e.g. Excavator)

Remove Dinosaur (the ride) and Dinoland USA in general. No. It was perfectly fine and there should be dinosaurs represented in DAK.

Remove Dinorama? Yes. Ideally for a good dinosaur themed ride (e.g. Excavator)

Remove Dinosaur (the ride) and Dinoland USA in general. No. It was perfectly fine and there should be dinosaurs represented in DAK.

The dinosaur ride was good, everything else was honestly meh from a lot of a different aspects. The county fair festival being the worst thing imagineering has ever put out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom