Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

SirLink

Isn’t that the theater where this was performed?
yes

Tha Realest

Someone here did some "napkin math", and estimated the WDW projects will cost about $4 billion. Iger has said that they will be investing $16 billion into WDW over the next 10 years. So, even if these cost 6 billion, there's still $10-12 billion dollars they have left to invest in WDW by 2034. That's a LOT of billions to work with,.
Not if you include the four cruise ships within the Florida spending.

Of course, for labor and tax purposes they won’t be “in” Florida, but for the $17 billion in spending they may be.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yeah I mean agree to disagree I guess. There's a reason Muppets runs half empty every show.
I think that has more to do with quality than IP though, it’s an old show that hasn’t aged very well. As much as I love the muppets I won’t be sad to see this go, it’s not a great use of the space and Disney needs all the capacity they can get.

I just hope they don’t mistake the dislike of a 20 year old 3D Muppets ride for a dislike of the muppets, they deserve better.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think that has more to do with quality than IP though, it’s an old show that hasn’t aged very well. As much as I love the muppets I won’t be sad to see this go, it’s not a great use of the space and Disney needs all the capacity they can get.

I just hope they don’t mistake the dislike of a 20 year old 3D Muppets ride for a dislike of the muppets, they deserve better.
They've tried Muppet projects on broadcast TV and Disney+. The audience isn't there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Back in the day there was Lights Motor Action Stunt Spectacular only performed during the day . There was an indoor theatre at the exit of the stadium towards the Mama Melrose , Muppets 3D exit. I entered that theatre just wanting to check it out and it was a huge theatre that seated over 500 guests. No shows were performed that I know of there and that for a number of years was pretty much a wasted space. All that was demolished to make way for SW land.
Shortly before its demise, it was a flex space. It hosted the Frozen singalong until it got a permanent home.

BrianLo

I think it is safe to fact check them on ‘currently’ they are in fact delivering on their 60B spending promise. I’ve mentioned it represents about 50% more decade on decade in a post Inflationary sense (50% more for double the spend).

It’s hard to compare totally because 2017 was mid investment cycle. 2013 was super scant and 2015 carried Galaxies Edge and Shanghai Disney. So really even the worst announcement slate domestically maybe we could still justify they were “on track”. But exceeding 2017’s slate by a very subjective 50% means they seem to be delivering.

I think they met that benchmark. While WDW is a bit hard to definitively say it’s increased by 50%, the comparable of 4 versus 2 ships and the DCA slate clearly tips this in this years panels favour. Plus a few of those announcements in 2017 are closed, never built or fluff. Which of course these could always be too.

BrianLo

Carnival and Royal both have multiple ships based out of LA/Long beach year round. On top of that they also have west coast ships that rotate between Cali and Canada.

Carnival in total has 4 ships permanently based on the west coast.

PCL and HAL both have ships that are permanently based on the west coast and rotate between Cali and Canada as well.

Oh sorry I misread that. I was treating Alaska and Cali as different markets, but yes ‘west coast permanent’ I read as California permanent.

UNCgolf

It may not be a great use of the space, but it's certainly better than replacing it, because as you said -- Disney needs all the capacity they can get, especially at DHS. They don't need to replace something when they have room to add. Maybe if what they were replacing was literally sitting empty, but that's not the case for Muppets.

It's the same reason replacing Dinosaur doesn't really make sense (it makes even less sense actually, since Dinosaur is fully utilized capacity), even though I'll probably prefer the Indy attraction.

The Door Coaster isn't one of the smarter things they could have chosen for DHS in general, simply because it's not what the park needs right now. Adding it as a replacement for another attraction would be a really stupid move.

Magenta Panther

If Disney could ever figure out how to use the muppets, there is so much potential there. For both the adults and kids
Disney has given them 2 movies (one of which flopped), several series (nearly all of which were quickly cancelled), and a presence on Youtube. And the muppets can't sell merchandise (which is why their dedicated store in DHS was taken over by Mickey and friends). What exactly could Disney do with them that hasn't been done already? What is there to "figure out"?

I mean, if you like them, fine, but I'd much rather Iger got rid of the puppet theater rather than get rid of RoA and the riverboat. Two attractions, BTW, that are NOT based on IP...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom