Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

PREMiERdrum

Has any actual evidence come out that Monsters is replacing Muppets or are people just speculating?
The background in one of the two pieces of art is clearly SOA / Grand Ave-ish. However, it seems much more likely that Monsters is heading to AC, and that the "neighborhood block" aesthetic is being extended as the creative moves away from huge "soundstages".

SirLink

Disney has given them 2 movies (one of which flopped), several series (nearly all of which were quickly cancelled), and a presence on Youtube. And the muppets can't sell merchandise (which is why their dedicated store in DHS was taken over by Mickey and friends). What exactly could Disney do with them that hasn't been done already? What is there to "figure out"?

I mean, if you like them, fine, but I'd much rather Iger got rid of the puppet theater rather than get rid of RoA and the riverboat. Two attractions, BTW, that are NOT based on IP...
If there is no parks merchandise to get outside of Mickey's of Glendale then how can people buy it. Disney need to make The Muppets less sweet. More like The Simpsons/Futurama quite frankly.

Vegas Disney Fan

Has any actual evidence come out that Monsters is replacing Muppets or are people just speculating?
Speculation, it’s amazing that with all the land they have at WDW they’ve severely limited the land available to HS, world drive prevents any expansion to the east, Galaxies edge prevents any expansion to the south, the entrance prevents and expansion to the north… the only real options are the animation courtyard, the muppets/Indy area, or west into the parking lot.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
1000001232.jpg

I mean that's Launch Bay right? Like very clearly?

So we lose Disney Junior and Launch Bay and maybe Mermaid.

MerlinTheGoat

Disney has given them 2 movies (one of which flopped), several series (nearly all of which were quickly cancelled), and a presence on Youtube. And the muppets can't sell merchandise (which is why their dedicated store in DHS was taken over by Mickey and friends). What exactly could Disney do with them that hasn't been done already? What is there to "figure out"?

I mean, if you like them, fine, but I'd much rather Iger got rid of the puppet theater rather than get rid of RoA and the riverboat. Two attractions, BTW, that are NOT based on IP...
If i'm remembering correctly, you hate the Muppets on an innate level. Even back when Jim Henson was running it. As Frank Oz stated in that interview, Disney's Muppets are nothing like they once were. I enjoy the classic Muppets and even I admit that. It's a common thing with franchises that Disney takes ownership of, many Star Wars fans can relate with.

The Muppets were extremely popular for quite a few decades, even throughout the 90s for a time after Jim Henson passed they still had a number of popular and successful bits of media such as their versions of Treasure Island and Christmas Carol. I also find that their old material holds up amazingly well, much of which I was not raised on and only first saw as an adult. I think if you can see past your intrinsic hatred of the IP, you could also see that Disney's attempts with the IP have been less well liked even from the same audiences than they were under Jim Henson and his initial successors that handled it in the several years following his death. It is not the same now.

BrianLo

Definitely the coolest imagineering pavilion I’ve ever been to. It might be a Sunday morning phenomenon but the entire thing was crawling with recognizable imagineers standing around their projects. Michel from HKDL Arrendelle, Chris Beatty, Bruce Vaughn, Michael (something who I recognize but don’t know what he was on), the lady from the DCA Pandora project. I think Josh was just through. Etc.

mickEblu

Definitely the coolest imagineering pavilion I’ve ever been to. It might be a Sunday morning phenomenon but the entire thing was crawling with recognizable imagineers standing around their projects. Michel from HKDL Arrendelle, Chris Beatty, Bruce Vaughn, Michael (something who I recognize but don’t know what he was on), the lady from the DCA Pandora project. I think Josh was just through. Etc.

Where was the TBA team? Hiding?

Cmdr_Crimson

If i'm remembering correctly, you hate the Muppets on an innate level. Even back when Jim Henson was running it. As Frank Oz stated in that interview, Disney's Muppets are nothing like they once were. I enjoy the classic Muppets and even I admit that. It's a common thing with franchises that Disney takes ownership of, many Star Wars fans can relate with.

The Muppets were extremely popular for quite a few decades, even throughout the 90s for a time after Jim Henson passed they still had a number of popular and successful bits of media such as their versions of Treasure Island and Christmas Carol. I also find that their old material holds up amazingly well, much of which I was not raised on and only first saw as an adult. I think if you can see past your intrinsic hatred of the IP, you could also see that Disney's attempts with the IP have been less well liked even from the same audiences than they were under Jim Henson and his initial successors that handled it in the several years following his death. It is not the same now.
Interesting fact about Muppetvision. While Jim Directed the 3D film. It was Frank Oz who Directed the pre-show segment and Kermit originally was to be in it..However, as we know what happened with Jim they redid the pre-show without him..So when you hear Fozzie ask Where's Kermit to Scooter.....It Hits you hard realizing Jim had passed 2 weeks after the filming of the pre-show you currently watch..

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well EPCOT is going to need something. Despite all the recent money spent, it still feels very short, which will become even more apparent when these new additions open at the other 3 parks.
Agreed. I don't think it even needs a new build - just redo imagination or seas into more compelling attractions.

TheIceBaron

I think they would want Muppets courtyard for a future Star Wars expansion, so I think Launch Bay is where Metropolis will be. Of course Star Wars is having problems as a franchise like muppets (but not as dire yet).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom