D23 2024 Disneyland Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’m out of the loop. Are we expecting an announcement regarding the Country Bears coming to Disneyland? They’ve already given us the Country Bears reimagining of the Hungry Bear, as well as the Big Al statue in Grizzly Peak, both of which seem bewildering (IMO) if the bears themselves aren’t returning to Disneyland in some form.

I'm not. That's probably it for the Country Bears for this round. Maybe in the future but I wouldn't expect any GRR retheme at this D23. With that said, it would be an easy San Fransokyo esque kind of announcement that could be done relatively quick / cheap while drumming up some attention. But one has to wonder what the point is if they re not even selling CBJ merch. Apparently at MK they re selling a T shirt and that's it. Country Bear River Run Revue would still be a walk on half of the year.

BrianLo

This sounds pretty cool. Star Tours though? I thought we were looking at large physical sets.

Like think how the star tours vehicle moves I meant. Though traveling through a dark ride. But there might not be as much pitch and yaw as star tours either.

I’d hate to say a less fancy Kuka arm ride because that’s not really fair for what is mimicking an elevator, but it’s probably most like Forbidden journey with far less range of motion or precision.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Like think how the star tours vehicle moves I meant. Though traveling through a dark ride. But there might not be as much pitch and yaw as star tours either.

Gotcha.

I’d hate to say a less fancy Kuka arm ride because that’s not really fair for what is mimicking an elevator, but it’s probably most like Forbidden journey with far less range of motion or precision.

Yeah this isn't a sexy description. Lol. I liked TOT meets a sideways coaster better but oh well. Im sure it'll be at minimum a Top 5 attraction in the world.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I'm not. That's probably it for the Country Bears for this round. Maybe in the future but I wouldn't expect any GRR retheme at this D23. With that said, it would be an easy San Fransokyo esque kind of announcement that could be done relatively quick / cheap while drumming up some attention. But one has to wonder what the point is if they re not even selling CBJ merch. Apparently at MK they re selling a T shirt and that's it. Country Bear River Run Revue would still be a walk on half of the year.

Got it. Yeah, I can’t really make sense of any of it. CBJ-GRR doesn’t seem like a slam dunk, for the reason you’ve mentioned. So then why the statue in Grizzly Peak? I don’t care for the new MK show (based on footage I’ve seen) but it’d at least be interesting to bring a new AA show to DLR. There’s no rumor about the show, though. So then why change the Hungry Bear? Why bother keeping these characters alive out here? Seems like another case of WDI having no vision.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Got it. Yeah, I can’t really make sense of any of it. CBJ-GRR doesn’t seem like a slam dunk, for the reason you’ve mentioned. So then why the statue in Grizzly Peak? I don’t care for the new MK show (based on footage I’ve seen) but it’d at least be interesting to bring a new AA show to DLR. There’s no rumor about the show, though. So then why change the Hungry Bear? Why bother keeping these characters alive out here? Seems like another case of WDI having no vision.

That's a good question. Maybe they were originally going to do the GRR retheme and decided to go with a Hungry Bear retheme instead? Well for sure they don't have a vision. This has been established.

The Hungry Bear was already sort of themed to the Country Bears. They re just making it stronger. I don't think the Country Bears are driving this change. I think they realized the park needs some BBQ back and then decided why not strengthen the CBJ theme as well? Then again the timing with CBJ at MK is interesting. Who knows? At the very least I don't think this change would have happened without the menu change. Im pretty sure the bulk of the budget for this project is going to expanding the kitchen. It's the food first. Theme second.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Yeah this isn't a sexy description. Lol. I liked TOT meets a sideways coaster better but oh well. Im sure it'll be at minimum a Top 5 attraction in the world.

It’s fancier than Shanghai Pirates!

Hence my hesitancy on universal rides. Sometimes they are coming up with really cool first run ride vehicles but don’t really hit the basics of execution.

Flight of Passage really isn’t much more than a DBox theatre viewing (which Minions, Jimmy Newtron and Hanna Barbara were so long before it) - and yet it’s so much more than that. Gringotts has an amazing ride platform and bad execution. Meanwhile Velocicoaster is ‘just a coaster’, but it’s great.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It’s fancier than Shanghai Pirates!

Hence my hesitancy on universal rides. Sometimes they are coming up with really cool first run ride vehicles but don’t really hit the basics of execution.

Flight of Passage really isn’t much more than a DBox theatre viewing (which Minions, Jimmy Newtron and Hanna Barbara were so long before it) - and yet it’s so much more than that. Gringotts has an amazing ride platform and bad execution. Meanwhile Velocicoaster is ‘just a coaster’, but it’s great.

Right. Ultimately it comes down to execution. That's far more important than a cool sounding ride system on paper.

SuddenStorm

Zero Star Wars anything. We’re waiting for the next record-breaking Star Wars film renaissance to define what should be added to the parks. So we’re 3-5 years before that’s even decided upon, 6-8 before opening.

Or, they can just build stuff based on the OT and make everyone happy.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

That's a good question. Maybe they were originally going to do the GRR retheme and decided to go with a Hungry Bear retheme instead?

This is plausible.

The Hungry Bear was already sort of themed to the Country Bears. They re just making it stronger. I don't think the Country Bears are driving this change. I think they realized the park needs some BBQ back and then decided why not strengthen the CBJ theme as well? Then again the timing with CBJ at MK is interesting. Who knows? At the very least I don't think this change would have happened without the menu change. Im pretty sure the bulk of the budget for this project is going to expanding the kitchen. It's the food first. Theme second.

Ah okay, so the need for a refreshed menu is driving the thematic change. And might as well just use the music and duplicate props from the CBJ attraction they just opened in Orlando. I guess that makes sense.

TP2000

I’m genuinely interested in where (presumably) a 70yo man would find showmanship and hospitality , or just a generally good time at UOR?... What would a 6 day TP2000 universal orlando itinerary look like?

Well, that's an interesting question. Here's what I'd been looking at for an itinerary...

Sunday 11/2: LAS to MCO, check in at UOR's Portofino Bay for the week (because I've stayed at the MiraCosta before and that should be fascinating to see the differences, plus I want the Express Pass thing all week)
Monday 11/3: Universal Orlando stuff (you'll have to excuse me, I haven't decided on which park which days)
Tuesday 11/4: Universal Orlando stuff (again, still a year away, but I'd like to snag a few good dinner reservations)
Wednesday 11/5: Universal Orlando stuff (two of these days will be for Epic Universe, with a day each for the other two)
Thursday 11/6: Magic Kingdom day? Ubering to/from WDW, with special stop to say goodbye to my old hotel the Poly
Friday 11/7: Epcot day? Ubering to/from WDW
Saturday 11/8: Universal Orlando stuff (likely my second day at Epic Universe for re-rides or stuff I missed)
Sunday: 11/9: Flex Day, shopping, Mandara Spa, a good dinner, because I never leave tourist destinations on a Sunday
Monday 11/10: Late check out from Portofino, Brightline to Miami Beach
Tuesday 11/11: Miami Beach (one of the Bonvoy hotels on/near the sand)
Wednesday 11/12: Miami Beach
Thursday 11/13: MIA to LAS

By this time next year, I plan to be knee-deep in research over in the Universal thread, or find a UOR forum elsewhere on the Internet to research. The main goals are to stroll all the parks I attend, hit several old favorites at MK and Epcot, see the new Country Bears show and inspect how Tron fits into Tomorrowland, and at UOR avoid anything that goes upside down or has a higher thrill level than Mission: Breakout. I can deal with a few drops (stomach and backbone of steel), but I can no longer deal with loops or intense G forces. I went on Forbidden Journey in Studio City with my nephews almost a decade ago, and that's when I realized I don't need to be thrown upside down any longer, so I can skip that one in Orlando.

I plan to snag as many must-do lunch and dinner reservations as possible. I enjoy strolling and shopping and browsing. I like to chat with folks for a minute or two, employees or guests alike. I've found that park custodians and security guards are thrilled to talk with you, and they can be very witty and insightful. And of course, by day three I plan to be good friends with the night shift bartender in the lobby of the Portofino Bay for nightcap ritual. I wear Tommy Bahama casual wear, so I look forward to visiting the Tommy Bahama stores that Florida has.

Any thoughts on what I shouldn't miss? Or flaws in the itinerary I should fix or amend?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well, that's an interesting question. Here's what I'd been looking at for an itinerary...

Sunday 11/2: LAS to MCO, check in at UOR's Portofino Bay for the week (because I've stayed at the MiraCosta before and that should be fascinating to see the differences, plus I want the Express Pass thing all week)
Monday 11/3: Universal Orlando stuff (you'll have to excuse me, I haven't decided on which park which days)
Tuesday 11/4: Universal Orlando stuff (again, still a year away, but I'd like to snag a few good dinner reservations)
Wednesday 11/5: Universal Orlando stuff (two of these days will be for Epic Universe, with a day each for the other two)
Thursday 11/6: Magic Kingdom day? Ubering to/from WDW, with special stop to say goodbye to my old hotel the Poly
Saturday 11/8: Universal Orlando stuff (likely my second day at Epic Universe for re-rides or stuff I missed)
Sunday: 11/9: Flex Day, shopping, Mandara Spa, a good dinner, because I never leave tourist destinations on a Sunday

By this time next year, I plan to be knee-deep in research over in the Universal thread, or find a UOR forum elsewhere on the Internet to research. The main goals are to stroll all the parks I attend, hit several old favorites at MK and Epcot, see the new Country Bears show and inspect how Tron fits into Tomorrowland, and at UOR avoid anything that goes upside down or has a higher thrill level than Mission: Breakout. I can deal with a few drops (stomach and backbone of steel), but I can no longer deal with loops or intense G forces. I went on Forbidden Journey in Studio City with my nephews almost a decade ago, and that's when I realized I don't need to be thrown upside down any longer, so I can skip that one in Orlando.

I plan to snag as many must-do lunch and dinner reservations as possible. I enjoy strolling and shopping and browsing. I like to chat with folks for a minute or two, employees or guests alike. I've found that park custodians and security guards are thrilled to talk with you, and they can be very witty and insightful. And of course, by day three I plan to be good friends with the night shift bartender in the lobby of the Portofino Bay for nightcap ritual. I wear Tommy Bahama casual wear, so I look forward to visiting the Tommy Bahama stores that Florida has.

Any thoughts on what I shouldn't miss? Or flaws in the itinerary I should fix or amend?

See this is my problem with Florida TP. Ive been there 4 times and never made the trip over to WDW. Then, I feel like I cant go to Florida and not go to Miami. But the next time I go I cant not go to WDW. But if I go to Orlando I have to do the Universal parks because I've never done any of them either. But then if my whole trip consists of theme park days when am I going to relax? So then you have to throw in a cruise. So in other words, my next Florida trip needs to be at least 20 days long. But when could the family realistically take 20 days off? It would have to be during summer when the kids are out of school. But the Summer weather in Orlando is awful. Back to the drawing board...

And oh yeah , this trip would cost around 25k. At some point I’ll hit my credit card limit.

Last edited:

mlayton144

I would recommend you spend all 6 days at animal kingdom :p

Sounds like a leisurely itinerary - others on here will likely chime in with universal suggestions but as a Disney fan I struggle to recommend anything at UOR for someone in your demographic/ general tastes as you describe on these forums. Lots of adrenaline filled thrill-ride twisted metal in the sky and boxy warehouse buildings. ET for nostalgia purposes? Potter attractions. Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges Is tons of fun. I would think Portifino would be the only choice for you as the rest of the resorts are largely lacking any real charm (excluding cabana bay which I can’t see you staying at) . Of course all of this is based on their existing resorts and 2 parks - Epic is TBD but it looks like they are upping their game , but still seems to be a lot of thrill rides.

Sounds like your doing WDW just to make a historical record of what’s wrong with it in the world of TP2000 , if seriously looking to dine well without a budget try Jiko, Space 220 (one of a kind theming) , monsieur Paul, or Takumi Tei. I’m guessing any would fit the bill with your impeccable taste ;)

Misted Compass

I'd also recommend checking out Cabana Bay for a bit - it's one of the cheaper hotels but it does have a lot of 50s theming that's executed fairly well, and you can access the pool areas if you're staying at any of the Universal hotels.

If you can handle Mission Breakout then I wouldn't immediately dismiss Velocicoaster despite its scale as it doesn't focus on positive G forces too much and focuses more on speed and airtime/negative Gs. Over on the UO subreddit a good number of people who typically dislike intense coasters seem to like it as well.

A few of the rides also offer tours of the queues (including Hulk which you likely won't be riding) though the availability depends on how much staff they have available.

Nland316

Here is my list of “realistic” announcements that I expect at the Parks Panel…

DL

- 70th plans.. Logo, Timeframe, Nighttime Entertainment (Fireworks / PTN or MSEP), Decor Package, Lincoln x Walt show

- Haunted Mansion bride / show updates

- TBA opening date

- TL overhaul IS announced (aesthetic updates, Autopia update, Buzz retheme, Peoplemover return)

DCA

- Avengers E ticket (Opening year, final construction / concept plans)

- Hyperion show???

Downtown Disney

- Porto’s (again)

- Tortilla Joe’s replacement

TP2000

Have you been to Cape Canaveral? Their display of Atlantis and the Saturn V 'exploded' exhibit are worth at visit along with everything else they have.

Oh my gosh. It's been years... um, decades, since I did the Cape Canaveral tour. But at least it was as recent as to have had its named changed from Cape Kennedy back to Cape Canaveral, so there's an extra drop or two into my Fountain of Youth, right?

That's a brilliant suggestion. I may need to factor that in to the trip. 🤔

I imagine there are tour firms who could just drive me out there, tour around the Cape and see the sights and the gift shop, and get me back to the Portofino Bay in time for a nightcap with my new friend the lobby bartender, right?

Here is my list of “realistic” announcements that I expect at the Parks Panel…

DL

- 70th plans.. Logo, Timeframe, Nighttime Entertainment (Fireworks / PTN or MSEP), Decor Package, Lincoln x Walt show

- Haunted Mansion bride / show updates

- TBA opening date

- TL overhaul IS announced (aesthetic updates, Autopia update, Buzz retheme, Peoplemover return)

DCA

- Avengers E ticket (Opening year, final construction / concept plans)

- Hyperion show???

Downtown Disney

- Porto’s (again)

- Tortilla Joe’s replacement
I just hope it doesn’t get canceled again (or it ends up being announced but construction end up not starting until like a year or two from now).

mlayton144

Oh my gosh. It's been years... um, decades, since I did the Cape Canaveral tour. But at least it was as recent as to have had its named changed from Cape Kennedy back to Cape Canaveral, so there's an extra drop or two into my Fountain of Youth, right?

That's a brilliant suggestion. I may need to factor that in to the trip. 🤔

I imagine there are tour firms who could just drive me out there, tour around the Cape and see the sights and the gift shop, and get me back to the Portofino Bay in time for a nightcap with my new friend the lobby bartender, right?
KSC was an excellent suggestion
It’s an easy drive , maybe 45 mins-1 hour or they do have a VIP package where you get a transfer from Orlando. Also, they used to have a day-tour where you get bussed from the visitor center to the Saturn 5 rocket center and 1 other place. Plus there is an imax movie that was pretty good

Definitely worth 1 day as long as you don’t insist counting the number of E-tickets, D tickets , etc ;)

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'm wondering (if I haven't missed it somewhere already) when they'll start posting links to watch the big panels - mainly the parks panel. Presumably they'll post something on the parks blog that morning?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom