D23 2024 Disneyland Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

Gusey

I know that those who don't like TBA will probably be disappointed as we're probably getting an opening date for Disneyland's version announced at D23. The only other potential announcements seem to be Avengers E-Ticket and Avatar's location. I'd also wouldn't be surprised if one of the musical happenings teased is the 70th anniversary theme

TP2000

Zero Star Wars anything. We’re waiting for the next record-breaking Star Wars film renaissance to define what should be added to the parks. So we’re 3-5 years before that’s even decided upon, 6-8 before opening.

You don't think there's a chance they plus up Star Wars Land with a B Ticket spinner themed to The Acolyte?

Maybe call it the Witches Whirl, or something? 🤔

MoonRakerSCM

Totally forgot D23 is almost here. My sister and I are too busy piecing together the skeleton of a trip to Orlando next year to see Epic Universe that MAY include 2 days at AK and Epcot...

While Imagineering is messing around with disasters like TBA and other unimaginative downright bad things, Uni has the Donkey Kong coaster, Dark Universe, and Isle of Berk coming. Fun exciting things from fun exciting creatives.

Why should I get a pass to stare at the exterior of the empty Hyperion while Uni is assembling this?

1722713014594.png

mickEblu

Original Poster
Totally forgot D23 is almost here. My sister and I are too busy piecing together the skeleton of a trip to Orlando next year to see Epic Universe that MAY include 2 days at AK and Epcot...

While Imagineering is messing around with disasters like TBA and other unimaginative downright bad things, Uni has the Donkey Kong coaster, Dark Universe, and Isle of Berk coming. Fun exciting things from fun exciting creatives.

Why should I get a pass to stare at the exterior of the empty Hyperion while Uni is assembling this?

View attachment 806337

I was typing this up last night but got distracted…

Will anything announced for DL Forward get me as hyped as that Ministry of Magic video that dropped a couple days ago? I'm not even a huge Potter fan but looks like they really swung for the fences. What is it supposed to be? TOT but that also “flys” sideways on a coaster track? Is this like a TOT/ coaster hybrid? I’m very intrigued. Then again I was very intrigued by Mario Kart although not quite like this.

Last edited:

TP2000

Exactly. I am also piecing together a trip to Florida (likely my last) to say hello to Epic Universe and Universal Orlando for 5 or 6 days, and say a final goodbye to WDW with 1 day at Magic Kingdom Park and 1 day at whatever remains of Epcot.

But I'm planning on a trip in Fall '25, about 14 months from now.

After that farewell visit, I can't imagine I'll ever need to go back to WDW. I may not be going on thrill rides in Tokyo like Raging Spirits or their new Space Mountain, but I can still manage Japan trips with lots of paced strolling around Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea and their gentler rides. But WDW is quickly falling off my radar, so I figured I should go back and say goodbye to WDW with a trip really aimed at seeing Epic Universe. And I'll stay on Universal property, and just Uber over to WDW on two days.

I wonder, what is the WDW response to Epic Universe and the new juggernaut of showmanship and hospitality that Universal now has up the road in Orlando? And will this D23 Expo reveal any thinly veiled responses to that for the Florida property? All four WDW parks are in desperate need of new capacity and fresh ideas, which all should have started 15 years ago but didn't.

If they go big on WDW announcements at D23 Expo and Anaheim only gets a few bones thrown its way this Expo, it would be wise for us Disneyland fans to realize that WDW is in much worse shape than the Anaheim parks are. :(

Last edited:

BrianLo

I was typing this up last night but got distracted…

Will anything announced for DL Forward get me as hyped as that Ministry of Magic video that dropped a couple days ago? I'm not even a huge Potter fan but looks like they really swung for the fences. What is it supposed to be? TOT but that also “flys” sideways on a coaster track? Is this like a TOT/ coaster hybrid? I’m very intrigued. Then again I was very intrigued by Mario Kart although not quite like this.

I’m approaching with strong strong cautious optimism. Really no complaints on any of the lands and the IP chosen I gel with across the board.

But I approach all Universal rides still with a touch of skepticism since Gringotts. Granted this is likely a completely new creative crew and a lot of people with former WDI ties. Things can sound wonderful on paper and then completely not understand the homework assignment (Gringotts, Mario Kart, Fast and Furious - less well sounding on paper). There’s a low likelihood, but one none the less, that MoM can be another park and bark attraction. The queue will be outstanding, though.

The ride system is less TOT, and more a scoop on rails that has an internal lift system built into it. The ups and downs will probably be significantly more gentle, which I’m fine with.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’m approaching with strong strong cautious optimism. Really no complaints on any of the lands and the IP chosen I gel with across the board.

But I approach all Universal rides still with a touch of skepticism since Gringotts. Granted this is likely a completely new creative crew and a lot of people with former WDI ties. Things can sound wonderful on paper and then completely not understand the homework assignment (Gringotts, Mario Kart, Fast and Furious - less well sounding on paper). There’s a low likelihood, but one none the less, that MoM can be another park and bark attraction. The queue will be outstanding, though.

The ride system is less TOT, and more a scoop on rails that has an internal lift system built into it. The ups and downs will probably be significantly more gentle, which I’m fine with.

Yeah I totally understand the caution. Oh ok that still sounds interesting. Based on the concept art I wasn’t imagining full length TOT shaft drops. More like 1/2 that or something like the medium ish size drops in Mission Breakout but sounds like you re saying they ll be even smaller than that?

As far as the scoop on rails do you think we’ll be traveling sideways as we look forward at the show scenes? That would be kind of neat.

C33Mom

The GE stuff is a good dark horse. Especially some new missions for Smugglers Run. Like a real announcement with descriptions of the new mission(s).
New missions for Smuggler’s run (even if it’s the exact same motion and pilot/gunner/engineer triggers) would be a huge hit if they went with a few OT and/or Mandolorian themed options. Star Tours has been better at attracting crowds since they mixed it up and I bet MFSR would draw a lot more riders as well.
(I also think they should do this for Soarin’— although not Star Wars themed)
A mission with the Mandalorian or one using OT planets/ characters would be a pretty safe bet.
I would accept ANY new mission at this point, but Mando or OT themed would be amazing. People would go completely nuts if they replaced Hondo with Jabba the Hutt.
I know that those who don't like TBA will probably be disappointed as we're probably getting an opening date for Disneyland's version announced at D23. The only other potential announcements seem to be Avengers E-Ticket and Avatar's location. I'd also wouldn't be surprised if one of the musical happenings teased is the 70th anniversary theme
I am already preemptively disappointed for Avatar (unless it’s a coaster, I’ll take a coaster with any theming)— but I’m also cool with the fact that some Disney rides won’t be geared to my preferences and hopefully it will lower queues (or at least make LL return times more plentiful) at the other headlines I do like.

mickEblu

Original Poster
New missions for Smuggler’s run (even if it’s the exact same motion and pilot/gunner/engineer triggers) would be a huge hit if they went with a few OT and/or Mandolorian themed options. Star Tours has been better at attracting crowds since they mixed it up and I bet MFSR would draw a lot more riders as well.
(I also think they should do this for Soarin’— although not Star Wars themed)

I agree.

I’ll go as far as saying Smugglers Run Made me appreciate Star Tours more. Which is funny because it was supposed to make Star Tours obsolete.

Soarin could use some love too. I proposed an overlay featuring the all of Disneys famous animated flying scenes. Would it make sense in Grizzly Peak? No. But neither does hang gliding all over the world from airplane hangar in the California mountains. I think it would be nice as a seasonal overlay, get SOW out of there for a few more months and bring some good ole Disney Heart to DCA.

I am already preemptively disappointed for Avatar (unless it’s a coaster, I’ll take a coaster with any theming)— but I’m also cool with the fact that some Disney rides won’t be geared to my preferences and hopefully it will lower queues (or at least make LL return times more plentiful) at the other headlines I do like.

I’m probably the biggest proponent for a new themed coaster at DLR. Quite frankly I’m puzzled as to why nobody around here seems to really care or want one as much as I do.

The other day I was going to post something saying “if a new coaster isn’t announced for DLR this year at D23 it’s a failure” but the only thing that stopped me from doing that was the thought of the Avatar boat ride. If it’s really a version of Shangai POTC that’s a pretty big deal and could end up being phenomenal.

would accept ANY new mission at this point, but Mando or OT themed would be amazing. People would go completely nuts if they replaced Hondo with Jabba the Hutt.

Whoa never thought about Jabba there. That would be really cool. Ideally he’d be part of that dinner theatre show if that ever happens but he would be much cooler than Hondo. Just put a Chewie AA there! I get that they have the walk around character that’s pretty convincing but seeing him is pretty rare.

Last edited:

C33Mom

Soarin could use some love too. I proposed an overlay featuring the all of Disneys famous animated flying scenes. Would it make sense in Grizzly Peak? No. But neither does hang gliding all over the world from airplane hangar in the California mountains. I think it would be nice as a seasonal overlay, get SOW out of there for a few more months and bring some good ole Disney Heart to DCA.
Love this idea. They could even tie in the takeoff out of the hanger with a new animation.
I’m probably the biggest proponent for a new themed coaster at DLR. Quite frankly I’m puzzled as to why nobody around here seems to really care or want one as much as I do.
There are dozens of us, dozens!
The other day I was going to post something saying “if a new coaster isn’t announced for DLR this year at D23 it’s a failure” but the only thing that stopped me from doing that was the thought of the Avatar boat ride. If it’s really a version of Shangai POTC that’s a pretty big deal and could end up being phenomenal.
We have done the Shanghai Pirates ride several times and it’s fine but I wouldn’t put it in the same category of fun as Slinky Dog, let alone Cosmic Rewind—and that’s with an IP theme that I actually enjoy in a fun, immersive Pirate land. Either way, I guess I support it being themed to Avatar if it means the Avengers E-ticket is a coaster or at least some sort of thrill ride.
Whoa never thought about Jabba there. That would be really cool. Ideally he’d be part of that dinner theatre show if that ever happens but he would be much cooler than Hondo. Just put a Chewie AA there! I get that they have the wall around character that’s pretty convincing but seeing him is pretty rare.
Also would be totally satisfied with Chewie— I think he would require someone to translate for him though. Maybe Lando? Obviously I would love Han…plus Disney has a LOT of experience making AAs of Harrison Ford how he looked in the 1980s. 🤣

mickEblu

Original Poster
We have done the Shanghai Pirates ride several times and it’s fine but I wouldn’t put it in the same category of fun as Slinky Dog, let alone Cosmic Rewind—and that’s with an IP theme that I actually enjoy in a fun, immersive Pirate land. Either way, I guess I support it being themed to Avatar if it means the Avengers E-ticket is a coaster or at least some sort of thrill ride.

The fun factor is an interesting one. We went on Timber Mountain log ride at Knotts as a family last week and when I got off I told my wife that there isn't one ride at DLR that the 4 of us have as much fun on. Granted, my daughter hasn't hit 40 inches yet so that will change things. POTC, HM, Jungle Cruise etc. are some of the best attractions in the world but are we having FUN? Aside from the drops not really. We go on these rides for the vibes, atmosphere and nostalgia. It's why Splash was my favorite ride. It had the theming with the thrills and pace that kept it so repeatable.

From what I understand the drops on Shanghai POTC aren't very big? DL's first drop is the quintessential POTC drop.

BrianLo

Yeah I totally understand the caution. Oh ok that still sounds interesting. Based on the concept art I wasn’t imagining full length TOT shaft drops. More like 1/2 that or something like the medium ish size drops in Mission Breakout but sounds like you re saying they ll be even smaller than that?

As far as the scoop on rails do you think we’ll be traveling sideways as we look forward at the show scenes? That would be kind of neat.

Don’t quote me because as attested else where there has been many iterations of this rides concept over essentially the last ten years. My understanding is there are now no drop shafts and the entire X/Y movement is built into the ride vehicle itself. It essentially goes down a track, can spin and then the ride vehicle has a scissor lift so it can go up and down. I’m not sure how fast that will be. But it’s more a controlled elevator as opposed to a free falling ToT.

Maybe Star Tours on a track? With a bit more up and down.

IMG_8931.jpeg

BrianLo

We have done the Shanghai Pirates ride several times and it’s fine but I wouldn’t put it in the same category of fun as Slinky Dog, let alone Cosmic Rewind—and that’s with an IP theme that I actually enjoy in a fun, immersive Pirate land.

I think it probably depends on the type of attraction one gravitates towards. I very much like Cosmic Rewind (unlike the more cynical feedback on the main WDW forum seems to suggest). But I’d still say Shanghai Pirates might be my favourite ride in the world (Rise being the ‘best attraction’). With a strong caveat I’m inexperienced with recent Tokyo and Epic is coming soon after. On top of that Shanghai Pirates is pretty much all ride and a very minimal/basic queue. I expect more ‘attraction’ effort with Avatar.

I hear you guys. It’s not that I’m remotely opposed to a coaster. But I feel no one should really complain about an all ages, no height restriction, large capacity, best in the world boat ride system when DCA basically lacks all of those things. It also works very well for CGI ‘live action’ as a system and blends quite beautifully with the movie. We’ll surely go under water again like Shanghai Pirates. I expect more giant set pieces, etc.

A coaster would likely lean more towards industrial complex, abandoned mining factory 100 years later. Which was vaguely ear marked for DAK instead. I’m more excited to visit the second movies locale as my preference.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think it probably depends on the type of attraction one gravitates towards. I very much like Cosmic Rewind (unlike the more cynical feedback on the main WDW forum seems to suggest). But I’d still say Shanghai Pirates might be my favourite ride in the world (Rise being the ‘best attraction’). With a strong caveat I’m inexperienced with recent Tokyo and Epic is coming soon after. On top of that Shanghai Pirates is pretty much all ride and a very minimal/basic queue. I expect more ‘attraction’ effort with Avatar.

I hear you guys. It’s not that I’m remotely opposed to a coaster. But I feel no one should really complain about an all ages, no height restriction, large capacity, best in the world boat ride system when DCA basically lacks all of those things. It also works very well for CGI ‘live action’ as a system and blends quite beautifully with the movie. We’ll surely go under water again like Shanghai Pirates. I expect more giant set pieces, etc.

A coaster would likely lean more towards industrial complex, abandoned mining factory 100 years later. Which was vaguely ear marked for DAK instead. I’m more excited to visit the second movies locale as my preference.

I'm definitely not complaining about the Avatar boat ride coming to DCA. I've been manifesting an E ticket boat ride in that very location (if it goes in the backlot) for years. With WDW getting all the cool new coasters, you'd just think more people would be actively asking for one or something similar to come to DLR but you really don't hear much. That should be a top priority of DL Forward. I will say that as much as I want a new coaster at DLR I do not want that Tron show building in Tomorrowland and do not want the Cars Land sightlines ruined. So for me a coaster would probably have to go on the Simba lot or old DTD surface lot expansion areas.

C33Mom

The fun factor is an interesting one. We went on Timber Mountain log ride at Knotts as a family last week and when I got off I told my wife that there isn't one ride at DLR that the 4 of us have as much fun on. Granted, my daughter hasn't hit 40 inches yet so that will change things. POTC, HM, Jungle Cruise etc. are some of the best attractions in the world but are we having FUN? Aside from the drops not really. We go on these rides for the vibes, atmosphere and nostalgia. It's why Splash was my favorite ride. It had the theming with the thrills and pace that kept it so repeatable.

From what I understand the drops on Shanghai POTC aren't very big? DL's first drop is the quintessential POTC drop.
I agree with Brian that “fun” is subjective. We like coasters best, but we have the most fun all working together as a family on Webslingers (no paid tech) to get a top score this hour and celebrating when we’re successful— most people here seem to hate it and think it’s not fun at all.

Re: Shanghai—we haven’t been back since China cracked down on HK in 2020, but my memory of Shanghai Pirates is that the drop felt more like MMRR’s waterfall “drop” than it did like POTC in DLR (I think there was at least some physical drop but it wasn’t thrilling). I thought it was cool that they did something totally different (and less musty) but I wouldn’t trade it for a coaster, not even a mediocre one. That said, I completely understand Disney needs to offer a mix of rides.
Doesn’t it kind of depend on where they put it and how much space they have?
No disagreement from me. My subjective feeling that it’s not a true E-ticket shouldn’t stop Disney from building stuff that most of their guests will love. I just skip the entire Pandora land in AK and enjoy being able to easily get good LL returns for Safari, Everest, and Dino. (Also, I enjoyed Primeval Whirl before it was scrapped for nothing).

mlayton144

I wonder, what is the WDW response to Epic Universe and the new juggernaut of showmanship and hospitality that Universal now has up the road in Orlando?

I’m genuinely interested in where (presumably) a 70yo man would find showmanship and hospitality , or just a generally good time at UOR? You keep talking about well groomed cast and well-staffed entertainment options as the standards of good theme park experiences, honest question just looking for a peak into TP2000s inner thought process. What would a 6 day TP2000 universal orlando itinerary look like?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Don’t quote me because as attested else where there has been many iterations of this rides concept over essentially the last ten years. My understanding is there are now no drop shafts and the entire X/Y movement is built into the ride vehicle itself. It essentially goes down a track, can spin and then the ride vehicle has a scissor lift so it can go up and down. I’m not sure how fast that will be. But it’s more a controlled elevator as opposed to a free falling ToT.

Maybe Star Tours on a track? With a bit more up and down.

View attachment 806346

This sounds pretty cool. Star Tours though? I thought we were looking at large physical sets.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I’m out of the loop. Are we expecting an announcement regarding the Country Bears coming to Disneyland? They’ve already given us the Country Bears reimagining of the Hungry Bear, as well as the Big Al statue in Grizzly Peak, both of which seem bewildering (IMO) if the bears themselves aren’t returning to Disneyland in some form.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom