Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

deeevo

I may still try them.
Although I'm always mystified by business's that mess with a successful product.
The results seldom turn out as well as the original.
Remember "New Coke"? :depressed:
OMG... I was in 5th grade and we had just came back in from PE and our teacher had a brand new case of New Coke. Of course I slammed one down that threw it all up. It was so bad.

MinnieWaffles

So what now?
Tonga wraps?
Tonga burritos?
Tonga flatbread?
I was looking forward to trying the much touted Tonga Toast on our last morning at WDW. :(

What makes you think it won't be Tonga Toast anymore? o_O I'm sure they always change the foodservice supplier from time to time depending on who gives the best price for goods.

UncleMike101

What makes you think it won't be Tonga Toast anymore? o_O I'm sure they always change the foodservice supplier from time to time depending on who gives the best price for goods.
Which is exactly why food services lose customers.
As I noted earlier, New Coke was a marketing disaster and Coca Cola paid dearly for messing with their customer base.
They can call it whatever they want, but if it doesn't have the same flavor and texture profile that the customers are used to it will not remain a popular item.
Then again the Tonga Toast being served now may taste just fine to me since I've never had it previously.

UncleMike101

OMG... I was in 5th grade and we had just came back in from PE and our teacher had a brand new case of New Coke. Of course I slammed one down that threw it all up. It was so bad.
I never had that reaction to the "stuff" but I lost count of how many petitions I signed to the Coca Cola management telling them to cut their losses and bring back the old formula.
It only took 77 days for Coke management to wake up and admit that the customers were right.
Amazing what can happen when a company ignores the whishes of their cash providers. ;)

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I never had that reaction to the "stuff" but I lost count of how many petitions I signed to the Coca Cola management telling them to cut their losses and bring back the old formula.
It only took 77 days for Coke management to wake up and admit that the customers were right.
Amazing what can happen when a company ignores the whishes of their cash providers. ;)

The Disney equivalent, is that they would ignore the customer, double down on the bad product, raise the price of the product, allow you to reserve the bad product 180 days in advance, then offer the original product back as an "up-charge".

asianway

Tikiman just said on his FB page that here was a change in the Tonga Toast. And he has been told that the bread company that supplied the bread is no longer working with Disney. I guess people have been complaining about the quality as of late. I am just assuming this is more cost cutting because no chief in there right mind would change something like unless they were forced.
Im still bitter about when they stopped the Apricot sauce.

How much money could you possibly save on buying a cheaper !$#@# bread?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's also possible Disney was squeezing the bread company for lower prices or telling them to change the ingredients so that it resulted in lower prices and the bakery refused. With the amount of bread used in a resort the size of WDW that contract could be for significant money.
Maybe the bread company wasn't clubbing baby seals and Disney demanded they do it. :rolleyes:

UncleMike101

It's also possible Disney was squeezing the bread company for lower prices or telling them to change the ingredients so that it resulted in lower prices and the bakery refused. With the amount of bread used in a resort the size of WDW that contract could be for significant money.
That would be my guess......
I've been involved in issues with major companies that demand lower prices for products that they buy.
The bakery may have done what we did to an American automobile company.
We told them to pack sand and get their parts elsewhere.

Nubs70

That would be my guess......
I've been involved in issues with major companies that demand lower prices for products that they buy.
The bakery may have done what we did to an American automobile company.
We told them to pack sand and get their parts elsewhere.
Business relationships need to mutually beneficial not exclusively beneficial to one side or the other. Some customers have difficulty understanding this concept.

ParentsOf4

There was an interesting article on Theme Park Insider about this:
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201604/5017/
If only budgets worked the way the author thinks they should. Quoting from the article:

It's easy to put two and two together, and... #ThanksShanghai. But blaming Shanghai Disneyland for operational cuts at Disneyland and Disney World reflects a simplistic conclusion. This just isn't the way that publicly-traded companies run.

To start, one basic rule of accounting is that capital expenditures — money spent on construction, new equipment, and buying land — is accounted differently that money for operations — such as paying employees. If Disney had to pay more than it planned to build Shanghai Disneyland, that's a hit to its capital budget. And no amount of cutting its operational budget will change that.

If Disney wants to offset an unexpected expense in its capital budget, it would need to do that by delaying or canceling another construction project.​

The reality is that the highest levels of management look at budgets holistically. An expense is an expense. What executives care about is how those expenses hit the bottom line. Yes, operating expense (opex) is expensed differently than capital expenditures (capex) but that's the point. Since opex hits the bottom line immediately, it offers a much quicker way to fix capex overruns.

For the sake of discussion, let's say Shanghai capex is $3B over budget. With Disney depreciating attractions over 25-40 years, that's going to impact this year's bottom line by perhaps $100M (assuming, for simplicity, 30 years to depreciate).

The same is true for any capex project in Orlando. Delaying those helps the bottom line, but nowhere near as immediately as opex cuts.

As Disney previously announced, this year's domestic capex was supposed to increase by $800M. With domestic capex up $318M in 1Q2016, much of that previously announced increase has already been spent. There's not a lot of capex to squeeze out of the remaining 3 quarters. Even if all of the remaining $482M disappeared, it's still going to be depreciated over 30 years, improving this year's bottom line by no more than $16M.

Now let's look at opex.

In 2015, Disney spent $9.7B on Parks & Resorts opex. Squeezing that by 1% ($97M) immediately makes up for any Shanghai capex overrun.

This part is a bit more closer to reality:

Of course, all of Disney's capital and operational expenses get thrown together on the company's bottom line. And any corporate executive who wants to keep her or his job wants that bottom line to look as black and as fat as possible. But any analyst with the ability to read a spreadsheet looks far beyond the bottom line. They know exactly what's happening in Shanghai. Nothing that Disney does stateside will hide that.​

However, despite what the author thinks, analysts look at the numbers the same way corporate executives do. If profits suddenly flat line or drop, Disney stock will be punished. That's really what analysts care about. Ultimately, analysts don't care what games Disney plays to keep the numbers up, as long as those games are legal.

Last edited:

Adam N

If only the budgets worked the way the author thinks they should. Quoting from the article:

It's easy to put two and two together, and... #ThanksShanghai. But blaming Shanghai Disneyland for operational cuts at Disneyland and Disney World reflects a simplistic conclusion. This just isn't the way that publicly-traded companies run.

To start, one basic rule of accounting is that capital expenditures — money spent on construction, new equipment, and buying land — is accounted differently that money for operations — such as paying employees. If Disney had to pay more than it planned to build Shanghai Disneyland, that's a hit to its capital budget. And no amount of cutting its operational budget will change that.

If Disney wants to offset an unexpected expense in its capital budget, it would need to do that by delaying or canceling another construction project.​

The reality is that the highest levels of management look at budgets holistically. An expense is an expense. What executives care about is how those expenses hit the bottom line. Yes, operating expense (opex) is expensed differently than capital expenditures (capex) but that's the point. Since opex hits the bottom line immediately, it offers a much quicker way to fix capex overruns.

For the sake of discussion, let's say Shanghai capex is $3B over budget. With Disney depreciating attractions over 25-40 years, that's going to impact this year's bottom line by perhaps $100M (assuming, for simplicity, 30 years to depreciate).

The same is true for any capex project in Orlando. Delaying those helps the bottom line, but nowhere near as immediately as opex cuts.

As Disney previously announced, this year's domestic capex was supposed to increase by $800M. With domestic capex up $318M in 1Q2016, much of that previously announced increase has already been spent. There's not a lot of capex to squeeze out of the remaining 3 quarters. Even if all of the remaining $482M disappeared, it's still going to be depreciated over 30 years, improving this year's bottom line by no more than $16M.

Now let's look at opex.

In 2015, Disney spent $9.7B on Parks & Resorts opex. Squeezing that by 1% ($97M) immediately makes up for any Shanghai capex overrun.

Of course, all of Disney's capital and operational expenses get thrown together on the company's bottom line. And any corporate executive who wants to keep her or his job wants that bottom line to look as black and as fat as possible. But any analyst with the ability to read a spreadsheet looks far beyond the bottom line. They know exactly what's happening in Shanghai. Nothing that Disney does stateside will hide that.​

However, despite what the author thinks, analysts look at the numbers the same way corporate executives do. If profits suddenly flat line or drop, Disney stock will be punished. That's really what analysts care about. Ultimately, analysts don't care what games Disney plays to keep the numbers up, as long as those games are legal.
They spend 9.7 BILLION DOLLARS on Ops? Holy god almighty. I would never have guessed it was that high. I'm shocked.

RSoxNo1

If only the budgets worked the way the author thinks they should. Quoting from the article:

Now let's look at opex.

Exactly. We were told by trusted people on these boards the same thing when DCA 2.0 was going on. "This won't effect WDW's budget". B.S.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom