Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Magenta Panther

Ye Gods it sucks to be a member of the WDW Doom and Gloom brigade these days, because no matter how bad the news is coming out of WDW is on any given day. the past few weeks have taught us that something worse will happen tomorrow.

God, I know. I love this site, but it's getting to the point that I'm getting kind of scared to visit here because the rumors people report just seem to get more and more insane. Not that I don't appreciate the info that insiders provide us...it's just that I wish I'd hear something I could be excited and happy about. And what's really sad is, I can't really remember the last time that happened.

rael ramone

God, I know. I love this site, but it's getting to the point that I'm getting kind of scared to visit here because the rumors people report just seem to get more and more insane. Not that I don't appreciate the info that insiders provide us...it's just that I wish I'd hear something I could be excited and happy about. And what's really sad is, I can't really remember the last time that happened.

Well, Tiffins genuinely looks like it's going to be good....

rael ramone

If only the budgets worked the way the author thinks they should. Quoting from the article:

It's easy to put two and two together, and... #ThanksShanghai. But blaming Shanghai Disneyland for operational cuts at Disneyland and Disney World reflects a simplistic conclusion. This just isn't the way that publicly-traded companies run.

To start, one basic rule of accounting is that capital expenditures — money spent on construction, new equipment, and buying land — is accounted differently that money for operations — such as paying employees. If Disney had to pay more than it planned to build Shanghai Disneyland, that's a hit to its capital budget. And no amount of cutting its operational budget will change that.

If Disney wants to offset an unexpected expense in its capital budget, it would need to do that by delaying or canceling another construction project.​

The reality is that the highest levels of management look at budgets holistically. An expense is an expense. What executives care about is how those expenses hit the bottom line. Yes, operating expense (opex) is expensed differently than capital expenditures (capex) but that's the point. Since opex hits the bottom line immediately, it offers a much quicker way to fix capex overruns.

For the sake of discussion, let's say Shanghai capex is $3B over budget. With Disney depreciating attractions over 25-40 years, that's going to impact this year's bottom line by perhaps $100M (assuming, for simplicity, 30 years to depreciate).

The same is true for any capex project in Orlando. Delaying those helps the bottom line, but nowhere near as immediately as opex cuts.

As Disney previously announced, this year's domestic capex was supposed to increase by $800M. With domestic capex up $318M in 1Q2016, much of that previously announced increase has already been spent. There's not a lot of capex to squeeze out of the remaining 3 quarters. Even if all of the remaining $482M disappeared, it's still going to be depreciated over 30 years, improving this year's bottom line by no more than $16M.

Now let's look at opex.

In 2015, Disney spent $9.7B on Parks & Resorts opex. Squeezing that by 1% ($97M) immediately makes up for any Shanghai capex overrun.

This part is a bit more closer to reality:

Of course, all of Disney's capital and operational expenses get thrown together on the company's bottom line. And any corporate executive who wants to keep her or his job wants that bottom line to look as black and as fat as possible. But any analyst with the ability to read a spreadsheet looks far beyond the bottom line. They know exactly what's happening in Shanghai. Nothing that Disney does stateside will hide that.​

However, despite what the author thinks, analysts look at the numbers the same way corporate executives do. If profits suddenly flat line or drop, Disney stock will be punished. That's really what analysts care about. Ultimately, analysts don't care what games Disney plays to keep the numbers up, as long as those games are legal.

Reading the comments for that article I recall one person claiming to be a cast member saying the Shanghai cuts are REAL, were told specifically that this was behind the extra aggressive cuts, and that it's common knowledge among all cast members...

sbunit

I'm obviously not a big poster here, more like a big lurker who appreciates the opinions and inside knowledge of others who contribute here. I've only started frequenting Disney World back in 2008 when I first got married. My parents couldn't afford taking us during my childhood. We've been going just about every other year since then and now with two young boys we'd like it to be a part of their early childhood memories.

Prior to having kids my wife and I were fortunate enough to vacation all over the world. We are not one of these so called "Disney Fanbois" but we do appreciate Disney and all the wonderful experiences they offer. I also own/manage a small healthcare facility and understand the intricacies of running a business (albeit on a significantly smaller scaler than Disney). My business model is also one of customer care and services as opposed to the several "big business" models that are arising with healthcare these days (but that's a different topic in itself). Regardless, I'd like to quote something from the same Themeparkinsider.com article others have quoted. It's such a strong point that several others have preached but several many don't want to realize:

If fans decide that they'd rather go spend their money at Universal, Knott's, SeaWorld, Six Flags, or other parks and attractions, than put up with cuts at Disney, then Disney will have a reason to open its checkbook to win back its former customers. But if fans continue to support Disney's theme parks — deciding that Disney with cuts is still better than the competition — then why of Earth should Disney increase marginal spending on labor and operations? It's making its money without that expense.

Every time Disney raises its ticket prices or cuts something in its parks, fans go online and wail and moan. Many say that's the final straw and that they will stop spending money at Disney's theme parks. And year after year, Disney's theme park attendance and income grow anyway.

Disney knows exactly what it is doing. And it does it better than anyone else in this industry, which is why Disney is far and away the industry leader in attendance and income.

Don't like what's happening at Disney's theme parks? Don't say #ThanksShanghai. Give credit where credit is due and say... #ThanksDisneyFans.

Just my 2 cents

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You and me both.

MerlinTheGoat

I made an observation in another thread about three missing animatronics in Splash Mountain during my visit last week (and a couple of more minor issues). Are maintenance problems like these related to the cuts and could they possibly escalate further?

Also rode 7DMT that same night and the Doc figure was not moving. It also seems like Splash, Big Thunder and 7DMT are breaking down far more frequently and for longer periods than they usually do (and they already don't have the best record in this regard).

Last edited:

Mike S

I made an observation in another thread about three missing animatronics in Splah Mountain during my visit last week (and a couple of more minor issues). Are maintenance problems like these related to the cuts and could they possibly escalate further?

Also rode 7DMT that same night and the Doc figure was not moving. It also seems like Splash, Big Thunder and 7DMT are breaking down far more frequently and for longer periods than they usually do (and they already don't have the best record in this regard).
SDMT is barely two years old. What the hell Disney?!?!?!

peter11435

I made an observation in another thread about three missing animatronics in Splah Mountain during my visit last week (and a couple of more minor issues). Are maintenance problems like these related to the cuts and could they possibly escalate further?

Missing animatronics such as these are not necessarily a sign of maintenance problems. Figures like the ones you mentioned are often sent out for cycle where they are completely rebuilt/refurbished. It happens with jungle animals, small world dolls, random pirates, and numerous other figures all the time.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't know if the broken Doc figure was just bad luck for me or if it has been that way for some time. But I'm definitely concerned with how incredibly often the rides are going down. I've been going to wdw for many years now and am quite used to and familiar with breakdowns (i understand that they happen and can't always be helped), but they seem far more common lately, more even than just a couple of years ago. Makes me wonder if things are being cut from maintenance that we aren't seeing...

Pirates at least is looking better than before the rehab. Though i did notice the treasure sparkle effect in the final scene was off and Jack's mouth wasn't moving very good. The speech audio in the scene with the trio of singing pirates and donkey is also in need of work (muffled and unintelligible). Though it is nice to see things like cloud projections working again, i didn't even get very wet this time either!

I will mention on the flipside that Peter Pan actually looked slightly better than usual in parts. I don't know when they added it, but the past couple of rides i noticed a projection of light as you fly out of the nursery scene (it appears to be some kind of attempt at a pixie dust effect, not a very good one but I'll mention it because i dont remember seeing it until the past few months, unless it's an older effect that was switched off until recently (and definitely was not there when i rode as a child). The Peter and Hook figures swordfighting atop the ship bad been non moving for some time as well, but they are moving again. Also looks like someone touched up some paint near the end on the floor under Smea's boat.

MerlinTheGoat

Missing animatronics such as these are not necessarily a sign of maintenance problems. Figures like the ones you mentioned are often sent out for cycle where they are completely rebuilt/refurbished. It happens with jungle animals, small world dolls, random pirates, and numerous other figures all the time.
I am aware that could be the case. However-

1- In the past (don't know when this stopped but it was still a policy during the 90s), Disney did not allow attractions to continue operating in such a state. So they often had spare figures on hand close by to swap out so repairs could be made to a figure. Parts and qualified repairmen were kept around to expedite the process.

2- Missing animatronics does not necessarily mean they're actually being worked on. Ellen's figure has been gone from Energy for ages now. There have been numerous dolls missing from Small World for quite a while now (simple figures that do not take long to repair). And prior to Splash's big refurb in 2013, there were a number of figures missing from the ride for ridiculous amounts of time (months).

peter11435

I am aware that could be the case. However-

1- In the past (don't know when this stopped but it was still a policy during the 90s), Disney did not allow attractions to continue operating in such a state. So they often had spare figures on hand close by to swap out so repairs could be made to a figure. Parts and qualified repairmen were kept around to expedite the process.

2- Missing animatronics does not necessarily mean they're actually being worked on. Ellen's figure has been gone from Energy for ages now. There have been numerous dolls missing from Small World for quite a while now (simple figures that do not take long to repair). And prior to Splash's big refurb in 2013, there were a number of figures missing from the ride for ridiculous amounts of time (months).

1. Even in the past (90s and earlier) there were secondary figures removed from attractions for refurbishment with no replacement. The internet just didn't tell us every time it happened and for how long. And it didn't happen nearly as frequently because most things in the park were much younger than they are now.

2. Ellen is not a good example as the figure was deleted from the show. As for the other ones you mentioned. I never said it happens fast or even that it couldn't/shouldn't be faster. Dolls in small world are constantly be added and removed. Sometimes it takes far longer than it should. The three dolls on the moon in the first scene were just recently returned. And I never said that missing animatronics meant that they were for sure being worked on. I said it didn't necessarily mean there was a maintenance problem because they could (and often are) out for scheduled maintenance.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well since Disney has outsourced all AA activities to Garner-Holt it means whenever an AA breaks someone needs to cut a PO for the repair and since that affects bonuses well it does not happen very often. Back in the day if an AA broke it was taken backstage and repaired by Disney staff who actually cared about the rides being 100%.

Garner-Holt's only concern is getting paid on time by Disney.

peter11435

Well since Disney has outsourced all AA activities to Garner-Holt it means whenever an AA breaks someone needs to cut a PO for the repair and since that affects bonuses well it does not happen very often. Back in the day if an AA broke it was taken backstage and repaired by Disney staff who actually cared about the rides being 100%.

Garner-Holt's only concern is getting paid on time by Disney.
You don't actually understand how the process works... At all. If an animatronic breaks it is still repaired (in place or backstage) by Disney staff. Many attractions have maintenance areas for doing this exact type of work and Central Shops still has a large animation shop where figures from around WDW (and beyond) are worked on. Many custom parts are ordered from garner holt but the work is done by Disney staff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom