Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

flyerjab

I didn't see any mention of the stockholders in the article.
You know the ones.
They decide who runs their corporation.
Iger, like most people with personal drive and ambition, is desparate to keep his well paying job.
Keeping the stockholders happy by returning record profits would surely achieve that.

I read that 'article' also. It is interesting that it basically states that all of the whining about cuts in the domestic parks has nothing to do with Shanghai. In other words, people that tweet or post #ThanksShanghai are misinformed.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I read that 'article' also. It is interesting that it basically states that all of the whining about cuts in the domestic parks has nothing to do with Shanghai. In other words, people that tweet or post #ThanksShanghai are misinformed.

Well thats cleared that up. good to know, thanks for posting.

asianway

I still say they are prepping for due diligence.

Can anyone remind me, is Niles on the trough?

UncleMike101

I believe that Disney is trying to convince us that we are mistaking the obvious situation for the facts.
Silly us...................
We should know that Disney would never attempt to pull the wool over our eyes. (Sarcasm off)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I still say they are prepping for due diligence.

Can anyone remind me, is Niles on the trough?

And if this indeed is due dillgence the timing of Staggs departure is quite interesting, Basically becoming a member of the corporate 'Martin-Baker Fan Club' (google it) after turning in the best P&R quarter ever.

RSoxNo1

I listen to the podcast, "The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill," which I know a lot of people aren't too keen on him - I find him interesting, though.. Anyway, a few things were mentioned recently which caught my attention:
- The larger perception of what these cuts are doing to the Disney fans and how the fans just see this as a huge money-grab and it appears to be without restraint (it's not just something in a single thread on this forum)
- They were talking about the guy who came up with Fast Pass (Bruce somebody) and how his whole notion for Fast Pass was not to have people shop and spend more but to just give them a better experience so that when then went home they talked about the awesome time they had instead of complaining about the price, lines, etc. It was about customer retention.

Both of those got me to thinking that the current group at Disney no longer appears to be about customer retention (a better experience so that folks will keep coming back), but instead, it appears to be centered around, "What can we get away with?"

The article quoted above by @WDWLover#1 shows this as well, in my opinion. It's not centered around customer experience at all. It's all based on, "Can we get away with x?," and, "Look at that, we did y and we still have record attendance! What about up-charging for z???"
I defend Jim on here, but he's done a 180 on My Magic+. He defended the planning component early on and with this latest Fastpass podcast he's now in line with what I and others have been saying.

I wrote this March 30, 2014: "My Magical Failure"

The motivation behind the original Fastpass system was guest satisfaction. The motivation behind Fastpass+ is strictly monetary.

Cesar R M

Any time you need me, I am here for the people.
SWwTvSq.gif

danv3

I'm on an adventures by Disney trip right now and today our guides had to record a video of themselves wishing Shanghai Disneyland good luck for its opening. I suggested they incorporate "#ThanksShanghai" but they declined.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any cuts or reduction in quality on this trip. We only have 11 guests and still got two guides and everything has been pretty typical of an AbD trip.

RSoxNo1

That was a good article.

Very good article indeed

Thanks guys...

My own ego aside, the stuff that Tom Staggs is likely being fired for are things that I and other more vocal members of this forum have been against from the outset. My Magic+/Next Gen/Fastpass+/xPass was an awful idea that produced a lot less than than $2 billion in positive things for the Walt Disney Company. Shanghai Disneyland was an awful idea, that will produce a lot less than the $5.5 billion in positive things for the Walt Disney Company.

That's not to say there weren't positives in Next Gen or their won't be positives in Shanghai. But that doesn't make either choice the best choice for the company.

It's part of why I dislike the "Bob Iger has been good for the stockholders" argument. The missteps under his watch were large and if he wasn't surrounded by a team of "Yes men" and "Vice Presidents of padding his ego" they never would have happened. Things like a movie flopping happen. These two projects were much bigger than that and much more flawed from the outset. It's taken some time for heads to roll but it's looking like it's finally happening.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I believe that Disney is trying to convince us that we are mistaking the obvious situation for the facts.
Silly us...................
We should know that Disney would never attempt to pull the wool over our eyes. (Sarcasm off)

I.e. Don't believe what your lying eyes are telling you Disney quality and service are better (for the stock) than ever.

rudyjr13

I got mad enough last night about these cuts to email Bob Chapek. Just got a reply from someone in Guest Experience Services asking me to call to speak further about my concerns. I can't do that now but if I learn anything dramatic I'll post it. Nice to know they are at least reading and responding when you email them.

AEfx

I wrote this March 30, 2014: "My Magical Failure"

"The motivation behind the original Fastpass system was guest satisfaction. The motivation behind Fastpass+ is strictly monetary."

That's not exactly what I would call prescience, given that some of us have been saying that about the entire NextGen project for the better part of a decade.

It's part of why I dislike the "Bob Iger has been good for the stockholders" argument. The missteps under his watch were large and if he wasn't surrounded by a team of "Yes men" and "Vice Presidents of padding his ego" they never would have happened. Things like a movie flopping happen. These two projects were much bigger than that and much more flawed from the outset. It's taken some time for heads to roll but it's looking like it's finally happening.

What has been interesting to me has been reading at other, non-Disney Parks sites about this news. A lot of folks out there, a LOT of them - LOVE Iger and don't want him to leave, at all. They love the IP has added to the Disney roster, and the way in which Marvel and Lucasfilm have been allowed to generally run without interference from the Mouse. With both the financial and creative success of the company, about the only place I can find people making him out to be the devil incarnate are 'round these type of parts.

Just a little perspective, because the only way to see him as some epic failure is through the eyes of theme park fans who wanted him to dump money into already profitable businesses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom