Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

PhilharMagician

I defend Jim on here, but he's done a 180 on My Magic+. He defended the planning component early on and with this latest Fastpass podcast he's now in line with what I and others have been saying.

I wrote this March 30, 2014: "My Magical Failure"

Absolutely a great article and I like the nod to LoW.

The writing has been on the wall a long time, but still so many people put the blinders on and make excuses that everything is still magical and dripping with pixie dust.

Brad Bishop

64724661.jpg

Also, "Guest Experience Services?" What kind of corporate gobbly-gook is that?

Baghdad Bob was awesome.

RSoxNo1

That's not exactly what I would call prescience, given that some of us have been saying that about the entire NextGen project for the better part of a decade.

What has been interesting to me has been reading at other, non-Disney Parks sites about this news. A lot of folks out there, a LOT of them - LOVE Iger and don't want him to leave, at all. They love the IP has added to the Disney roster, and the way in which Marvel and Lucasfilm have been allowed to generally run without interference from the Mouse. With both the financial and creative success of the company, about the only place I can find people making him out to be the devil incarnate are 'round these type of parts.

Just a little perspective, because the only way to see him as some epic failure is through the eyes of theme park fans who wanted him to dump money into already profitable businesses.
That's a snapshot in time from when I wrote the article. Jim Hill was on my old podcast talking about adding Fastpass to The Seas with Nemo and Friends and Spaceship Earth and putting Fastpass fireworks viewing in the Plaza Rose Garden. That would have been in the 2011-2012 range. He and @lentesta had info on the xPass component really early. Before we even understood what the system was going to ultimately be it was pretty clear to me that it was unnecessary if not entirely bad.

AEfx

Before we even understood what the system was going to ultimately be it was pretty clear to me that it was unnecessary if not entirely bad.

That was what a lot of us thought - way back to the beginning. I remember a certain segment of folks saying "wait and see" but I think many of us saw it for what it was from the beginning. I especially remember folks getting all excited about the "other applications" of personalization - of which, we still haven't seen (or do the talking heads that say your name actually appear somewhere?) and the rumors of such (the IASW sign thing) are underwhelming at best (Universal did it better with ET 25+ years ago).

disneyflush

That was what a lot of us thought - way back to the beginning. I remember a certain segment of folks saying "wait and see" but I think many of us saw it for what it was from the beginning. I especially remember folks getting all excited about the "other applications" of personalization - of which, we still haven't seen (or do the talking heads that say your name actually appear somewhere?) and the rumors of such (the IASW sign thing) are underwhelming at best (Universal did it better with ET 25+ years ago).

I remember this as well. I believe a lot of us saw this as more of a data collection attempt than a way to improve our vacation experience when the news hit. Flynnibus seemed like he was replying to every individual post that was critical of the plan in those first threads. Felt like everyone was so hungry for new attractions that a giant capital expenditure resulting in none just pushed a lot of people over the edge. Seems like the sentiment at the time was 70-85% against Next Gen.

AEfx

I remember this as well. I believe a lot of us saw this as more of a data collection attempt than a way to improve our vacation experience when the news hit. Flynnibus seemed like he was replying to every individual post that was critical of the plan in those first threads. Felt like everyone was so hungry for new attractions that a giant capital expenditure resulting in none just pushed a lot of people over the edge. Seems like the sentiment at the time was 70-85% against Next Gen.

And that was before we knew it would run a billion or so bucks over budget and be plagued with technical issues, LOL...

njDizFan

You do know that doesn't sound good. Asking two guys about Yeti Lube? :oops:
hey whats a little yeti lube between friends?

Anyway just a little clarity, I believe Lee was on the podcast hosted by RSoxNo1 and was told at the time, that during the the early stages of the opening of the attraction there was not sufficient lubricent used to grease the yeti and caused a failure.

Not sure if this is still considered a possiblity but it was out there as conjecture

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Anyway just a little clarity, I believe Lee was on the podcast hosted by RSoxNo1 and was told at the time, that during the the early stages of the opening of the attraction there was not sufficient lubricent used to grease the yeti and caused a failure.

Not sure if this is still considered a possiblity but it was out there as conjecture

Logical but unless they were custom fluid coupled joints it's unlikely that replacement is impossible in-situ/or too expensive relative to attraction cost to consider repair.

RSoxNo1

Yep, and it led to one of my favorite lines from my cohost, Brett, "If there's one rule in my life that I live by, it's 'lubricate everything'."

deeevo

Tikiman just said on his FB page that here was a change in the Tonga Toast. And he has been told that the bread company that supplied the bread is no longer working with Disney. I guess people have been complaining about the quality as of late. I am just assuming this is more cost cutting because no chief in there right mind would change something like unless they were forced.

The_Jobu

Tikiman just said on his FB page that here was a change in the Tonga Toast. And he has been told that the bread company that supplied the bread is no longer working with Disney. I guess people have been complaining about the quality as of late. I am just assuming this is more cost cutting because no chief in there right mind would change something like unless they were forced.

Have they stopped serving tonga toast or they just changed the bread provider?

deeevo

So what now?
Tonga wraps?
Tonga burritos?
Tonga flatbread?
I was looking forward to trying the much touted Tonga Toast on our last morning at WDW. :(
Haaaa.... If they came out with these people would buy them I'm sure. I guess they now have a new bread provider that has much lower quality then the old one. That is the reason for the complaints.

UncleMike101

Haaaa.... If they came out with these people would buy them I'm sure. I guess they now have a new bread provider that has much lower quality then the old one. That is the reason for the complaints.
I may still try them.
Although I'm always mystified by business's that mess with a successful product.
The results seldom turn out as well as the original.
Remember "New Coke"? :depressed:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom