Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I see that the Monday sales for the first day opening at Disney Shanghai resort sold out in just a few hours. Also all the results are both for the first two weeks. Hope this continues and things will get back to normal Stateside.

Nubs70

Poor decisions to cut American jobs and cut back employees hours all to spend less so they can send that money to the Chinese? Yes.

All the "additions" to the parks that take years and years to complete and spend millions of dollars on useless details and R&D that the majority of guests will even care about? Yes.

Aim the parks at the upper class families instead of their core, dedicated, lifetime followers who've now been priced out of their dreams? Yes.

Who is the CEO in charge of all this?

Mud > Bob Iger
Money sent to China will be brought back to DIS in the form of exorbitant transfer payments.

DIS will make money by sending US Imagineers over the to clean up the mess.

JustLikeMe

You'd be very safe with 2017 (you want to go during spring or summer months to minimize the smog). Whatever the issues, they'll be sorted a year out, or won't get sorted at all. Heading into 2018 there is a good chance you'll be seeing a half built Everest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not under the impressions that there will still be issues next year - it's just my enthusiasm has been dampened slightly and I thought I'd head back to Japan instead. I'm thinking I'll tie in a couple of days in Shanghai when I'm next in Hong Kong in 2018 visiting the girlfriends family, but might do a stop over on the way to or from Japan next year if the park looks great. Looking forward to the opening day reports regardless!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not like they haven't been short-sighted before with regards to the engineering (and suits making the calls): Rocket Rods

Yup - suits don't understand the concept of MOMENTUM, In that a base designed for a specific mass and velocity will not be able to handle either an increase in mass/velocity or both because the energy to absorb increases (actually translate into other forces) just like the guy wires on a radio station antenna translate wind loading (shear forces) into compressive forces.

3926778_orig.jpg

oceanbreeze77

Reading about all of these budget cuts from different sites (this one, mice chat, twitter, etc) Im getting a little nervous for my June trip. Do I have major reasons to be nervous?

DisneyGentleman

I see Miceage finally posted an article on the effects of Shanghai on Disneyland and California Adventure. Losing a parade for at least a month, shortened hours at both parks, all while ticket prices increase and a good chunk of Disneyland is already closed. Feeling pretty bad for anyone who planned to visit the SoCal parks this spring.
Link here.
Leave a Legacy are my three most hated words awhen it comes to everything Disney.

Of course we all know about the abomination that destroyed the entrance to our beloved EPCOT. It's the graveyard of greed, dedicated to making one last buck off each gullible visitor. I have always disliked what they did to what was once the grandest of entrances, all to pad the legacy of one Michael Eisner, as he picked our pockets into the new millenium.

eTsPkav.jpg

Once again we are hearing the same term, as the Shanghai park is off to a sputtering start. Now his successor wants to pad his portfolio by picking our pockets one more time, by all the cutbacks which will be used to make the bottom line look better as the negative news comes in from across the ocean.

305k0pR.jpg

And so to our beloved leaders, I say we follow our favorite dog's lead and lift our leg-acy and they attempt to leave theirs at our collective expense.

CmMBwfV.jpg
I wish someone could make buttons with this picture, just so we could wear then to show our collective disapproval. It's only appropriate...

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Leave a Legacy are my three most hated words awhen it comes to everything Disney.

Of course we all know about the abomination that destroyed the entrance to our beloved EPCOT. It's the graveyard of greed, dedicated to making one last buck off each gullible visitor. I have always disliked what they did to what was once the grandest of entrances, all to pad the legacy of one Michael Eisner, as he picked our pockets into the new millenium.

eTsPkav.jpg

Once again we are hearing the same term, as the Shanghai park is off to a sputtering start. Now his successor wants to pad his portfolio by picking our pockets one more time, by all the cutbacks which will be used to make the bottom line look better as the negative news comes in from across the ocean.

305k0pR.jpg

And so to our beloved leaders, I say we follow our favorite dog's lead and lift our leg-acy and they attempt to leave theirs at our collective expense.

CmMBwfV.jpg
I wish someone could make buttons with this picture, just so we could wear then to show our collective disapproval. It's only appropriate...
Seem to me that if you keep your pocket buttoned or bring your wallet someplace else, your pocket cannot be picked.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ehh. I would rather his "downfall" not hurt a bunch of Disney CMs. Keep in mind there are a ton of them that have nothing to do with the parks.

Sorry @Andrew C the CM's who actually MAKE THE MAGIC have already been hurt badly and it's just going to get worse until Iger is gone one way or another.

Look at it like this if you are a dedicated CM and you have just heard your company posted its best quarter EVER, You think PARTY TIME, instead you get your hours and perks cut and some of your fellow CM's get their walking papers praise is warranted but a punch in the stomach is what is delivered. I think the psychic damage is probably greater than the financial damage to the CM's

Right now what incentive besides keeping your job does working for Disney as a CM offer?, The really good ones will go elsewhere where their skills are appreciated and not necessarily UNI, The remainder will 'keep their heads down' and do the bare minimum as there is no incentive to go above and beyond.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Sorry @Andrew C the CM's who actually MAKE THE MAGIC have already been hurt badly and it's just going to get worse until Iger is gone one way or another.

Look at it like this if you are a dedicated CM and you have just heard your company posted its best quarter EVER, You think PARTY TIME, instead you get your hours and perks cut and some of your fellow CM's get their walking papers praise is warranted but a punch in the stomach is what is delivered. I think the psychic damage is probably greater than the financial damage to the CM's

Right now what incentive besides keeping your job does working for Disney as a CM offer?, The really good ones will go elsewhere where their skills are appreciated and not necessarily UNI, The remainder will 'keep their heads down' and do the bare minimum as there is no incentive to go above and beyond.

I understand the current situation for some park CMs. I was referring to CMs across the entire company. Whether they are managers or hourly. Thinking beyond WDW

Cesar R M

I understand the current situation for some park CMs. I was referring to CMs across the entire company. Whether they are managers or hourly. Thinking beyond WDW
I now actually wonder... Is DLC also cutting staff and going barebones as well?
I mean since its a cruise company with a flagged ship in a small Caribbean town, with barely any rules.. Dont they already run barebones?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I mean since its a cruise company with a flagged ship in a small Caribbean town, with barely any rules.. Dont they already run barebones?

Interesting question. No idea about that.

hopemax

My Dad just asked me today if this stuff was happening at DCL too.

He went to the MK yesterday, talked to one of my Mom's old co-workers. He said full timers were down to 30 hours. Unfortunately, he didn't find out until a month after buying a house, and is struggling to figure out what to do; stay or go. When my Mom worked in this area, it was mandatory 6 days during Easter/Spring Break. How things change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom