Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Mike S

Useless details? aka the "Disney difference." Isn't the lack of those details the reason the Grand Flo Villas get slammed so hard? Just as one example...

I thought that those details were actually a good thing. It sure is getting hard to keep track of what to get our panties in bunches over.
By "useless details" I think he's talking about things like this.
http://www.hiddenmickeyguy.com/news/special-hidden-mickey-just-mickey-mouse-his-november-18-birthday
I mean, it's cool and all, but a Hidden Mickey only viewable one day a year?

SirLink

Useless details? aka the "Disney difference." Isn't the lack of those details the reason the Grand Flo Villas get slammed so hard? Just as one example...

I thought that those details were actually a good thing. It sure is getting hard to keep track of what to get our panties in bunches over.

Service that was the 'Disney difference', at my local super market I get better service that I have had at Disney World for years.

raven

Useless details such as WDI spending thousands of dollars to fly to and research the type and shape of rock at the bottom of a pond in rural Africa? Or blades of grass in the Andes? How about fabric for a wall that will sit about 30' from the nearest guest? That's the kind of details I'm talking about that they spend way too much time and money on. This type of thing is why attractions take 3-7 years to build.

Ignohippo

Useless details such as WDI spending thousands of dollars to fly to and research the type and shape of rock at the bottom of a pond in rural Africa? Or blades of grass in the Andes? How about fabric for a wall that will sit about 30' from the nearest guest? That's the kind of details I'm talking about that they spend way too much time and money on. This type of thing is why attractions take 3-7 years to build.

Those kind of things don't bother me nearly as much as spending $5 million+ on a Mr. Potato Head or Ursela.

The over-spending by WDI is completely ridiculous.

I don't mind them spending time to get details right. I do care that they spend $150-200 million on a dark ride attraction that could have been done much better 40 years ago for under $10 million (by today's dollars).

The idea that a bunch of puppets attached to mechanical sticks equals a couple hundred million dollars (with zero work done to the inside of the ride portion of the show building beside paint, btw) is insane.

Last edited:

Mike S

Those kind of things don't bother me nearly as much as spending $5 million+ on a Mr. Potato Head or Ursela.

tumblr_mvhweaE7Fd1qcm0m3o1_400.gif

SirLink

I don't mind them spending time to get details right. I do care that they spend $150-200 million on a dark ride attraction that could have been done much better 40 years ago for under $10 million (by today's dollars).

The idea that a bunch of puppets attached to mechanical sticks equals a couple hundred million dollars (with zero work done to the inside of the ride portion of the show building beside paint, btw) is insane.

BTW the most impressive of those two attractions are those characters. The problem is that costings originally - so for instance hammers being cost budgeted for $300 each, etc.

No one cares about costings inline like @raven stated going on trip to Tibet to get information that you could go to a University and get the same level of insight

FigmentJedi

BTW the most impressive of those two attractions are those characters. The problem is that costings originally - so for instance hammers being cost budgeted for $300 each, etc.

No one cares about costings inline like @raven stated going on trip to Tibet to get information that you could go to a University and get the same level of insight
tumblr_mp2w4lI2rC1ray2h9o1_1280.jpg

World of difference between reading about places for research and actually going there.

Last edited:

SirLink

World of difference between reading about places for research and actually going there.

Do you want two amazing rides with substance or one amazingly beautiful ride with very little substance.

Rides with substance you go and get your research from professors. You go to Tibet you get a shallow experience that sure looks beautiful.

FigmentJedi

Do you want two kick *** rides with substance or one amazingly beautiful ride with very little substance.

Rides with substance you go and get your research from professors. You go to Tibet you get a shallow experience that sure looks beautiful.
Everest did both. Besides the Tibet trip, they talked to actual primatologists to figure out how the Yeti would look. Problem is the ride experience is so shallow now because that Yeti doesn't work and the ride was all about building up to seeing that figure.

SirLink

Everest did both. Besides the Tibet trip, they talked to actual primatologists to figure out how the Yeti would look. Problem is the ride experience is so shallow now because that Yeti doesn't work and the ride was all about building up to seeing that figure.

I'll just say I disagree that the money to send JR to Tibet was a good use of money because the attraction they designed was unable to function as designed after 1 year of repeated use. The ride experience when everything was good it was not amazing it needed to be have more physical encounters with the Yeti, aka the ride before it went over budget in R+D phase.

Cesar R M

I think they mean the real useless details, aka pushing IP where it shouldn't or isn't needed.
For Example, Harambe looks fantastic. I hardly see any "IP" there. Yet the details are everywhere.
Then on the other side, you get a clown trying to shove Guardians of the Galaxy into a tower of Terror.

Ah I see. That is dopey. It has nothing to do with place making and is just sorta cool in a one off sense. But I can't see how that cost a million dollars.
hollywood accounting?

stretchsje

The cutbacks have reached California in a big way:
http://micechat.com/122782-disneyland-cutbacks/

This paragraph will resonate with readers here, I think:
Disney has always planned for and expected additional expenses when a new property opens, especially during the fiscal quarter in which it opens. And those expenses are dutifully noted in the quarterly report to Wall Street bankers and investors. But this is something entirely different and unprecedented, where all the other parks (except the Tokyo parks, which are owned by the Oriental Land Company) are cutting back and slashing hours regardless of how busy they are and how strong their own business is. Disney’s Shanghai property is majority owned either outright or via state-owned companies by the Chinese Communist Party, while Disney owns a minority share of the park, and it’s important for Bob Iger’s legacy that the Chinese Politburo is pleased with the opening and performance of the Shanghai park. And to ensure his legacy, Bob is willing to make the visitors to his American and French parks pay for all of Shanghai’s pre-opening failures and mistakes.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll just say I disagree that the money to send JR to Tibet was a good use of money because the attraction they designed was unable to function as designed after 1 year of repeated use. The ride experience when everything was good it was not amazing it needed to be have more physical encounters with the Yeti, aka the ride before it went over budget in R+D phase.

The attraction itself is amazing and so was the Yeti, But it appears that Disney cheaped out on the concrete base which cracked recall the peak energy of the Yeti while in motion was several megawatts and the base was unable to handle the dynamic load imposed by the Yeti in motion. As per usual Disney probably went with the cheapest base design.

Also remember the Yeti was made of low tech materials i.e. steel so what may have happened was there was a yeti design in aluminum and a corresponding base along with a steel one and some suit decided to use the Steel Yeti along with the Aluminum Yeti base because each element was cheaper not understanding that the aluminum yeti base could not support the loading which a steel framed yeti would impose

The reality is we will never KNOW unless JR writes a tell all book about AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom