Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

No Name

Many parks built by foreign companies have their parks designed by Americans, this is especially true of the big parks in China. Disney's parks are troubled because the company still is not interested in actually building themed experiences. The focus is on the other activities such as hotels, retail and dining.

At least these companies involve enough people and have bosses that are native to the country. Sure they may hire Americans but they watch over their decisions and hire people from the actual country as well. That way they don't name a place EuroDisney and then realize that they basically named it "DollarDisney." Or that they don't build 7 hotels and price them far too high for anyone to want to stay there.

Yes, a lot of parks overseas are unoriginal. A lot have castles. Europa has an Epcot-like dome. Many have main streets. And they are also generally smaller parks. But at least they know their guests well enough. The ones that don't usually go out of business.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That is a very easy thing to say. If the number of cast that are needed to deliver great guest experiences is "X" are your current staffing levels are "X+4", you aren't providing great guests experiences in the most efficient way possible. Get rid of the "+4", and you're doing it.

We may very well disagree with that PR person as to whether the company currently delivers great guests experiences and, if so, whether they can continue to do so with these cuts, but it's certainly easy for a corporate person to assert that is the intention.

But is that the case here? Are parks at WDW overstaffed by that extent? Or, as some have pointed out, is the new VP for P&R whose experience is in retail, using the retail model for staffing? Which may have a detrimental effect on guest experience. Yeah, I get corporate spin. Corporations delude themselves all the time - I watched the entity I just retired from do the same. And those members of the executive team responsible for that delusion are still employed.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They are about to open Shanghai Disneyland while the Chinese economy is imploding. Time to panic.

I wouldn't say that a GDP growth rate of 6.9% in 2015 is bad. It was unreasonable to think that the double digit GDP growth rate would be sustainable forever. The projected U.S. GDP growth rate for 2015 is 3%. I think we'd all be happy in the U.S. with a 6.9% increase in GDP.

And before another comment about injecting politics in this discussion, discussions of GDP in the two largest economies and how that can affect business decisions for companies operating in said economies is NOT politics, it's economics - macro specifically.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
But is that the case here? Are parks at WDW overstaffed by that extent? Or, as some have pointed out, is the new VP for P&R whose experience is in retail, using the retail model for staffing? Which may have a detrimental effect on guest experience. Yeah, I get corporate spin. Corporations delude themselves all the time - I watched the entity I just retired from do the same. And those members of the executive team responsible for that delusion are still employed.
Sure. Like I said, we might not agree with the corporate line, but you asked how anybody could even say such a line. As you have confirmed, it is any easy line to say, and, deluded or not, I dare say that at least some of the suits believe it.

lazyboy97o

At least these companies involve enough people and have bosses that are native to the country. Sure they may hire Americans but they watch over their decisions and hire people from the actual country as well. That way they don't name a place EuroDisney and then realize that they basically named it "DollarDisney." Or that they don't build 7 hotels and price them far too high for anyone to want to stay there.

Yes, a lot of parks overseas are unoriginal. A lot have castles. Europa has an Epcot-like dome. Many have main streets. And they are also generally smaller parks. But at least they know their guests well enough. The ones that don't usually go out of business.
You're not really touching on any real cultural issues that have plagued Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland. In the case of Disneyland Paris the issues aren't naming or attraction content, but guest spending and that issue was not one of America compared to Europe as it was Japan compared to Europe. The name was never an issue, nor were the excessive number of hotel rooms a misreading of Europe.

Hong Kong Disneyland's cultural issues are more about conflicts between Hong Kongers and Mainlanders. That is not so much a Disney issue. The Government of Hong Kong wants to be closer to Beijing and has the area's tourism industry around attracting Mainland tourists, and the decline in Mainland visitors also hit Ocean Park Hong Kong.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The long time DVC member in full support.

Surprise!!!!

Well, as a DVC member also, any decisions made by TWDC that might impact my investment would cause me some worry....

@DVCOwner, the value of our investment is partially based upon perception.

Yes, I know my investment is a leasehold condo, but it has value beyond my points.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sure. Like I said, we might not agree with the corporate line, but you asked how anybody could even say such a line. As you have confirmed, it is any easy line to say, and, deluded or not, I dare say that at least some of the suits believe it.

And that is part of the problem.....

Next Big Thing

I would count on more CPers. I cannot predict the work ethic of future CPers, but I know something of current and former CPer work ethic.
During my DCP, all of my fellow CPers worked incredibly hard. And most do for that matter. It's simply tough, non-stop jobs with long hours that people get placed in so yeah, from time to time, it will drain CPs - especially if this is their first job (which surprisingly for many, it is).

In short, I found CPs to work harder than PT/FT as they were looking to impress more than those living in Orlando full-time and already working there. It was all about networking.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

There are already a couple of threads listing some of the specifics, but I think it is time for a centralized thread with an overview of the current situation with regard to cutbacks.

Over the past few weeks we've been contacted by CMs throughout the parks and resorts with details of some of the cuts taking place through the parks and resorts - and it is taking place at all levels.

Despite record attendance and financial results, cuts are being ordered anywhere and everywhere - to levels last seen during the economic downturn of 2008.

Cuts will include reduction of operating hours - at all levels, from the parks themselves, down to the individual attractions, restaurants, and shops.

Numbers of CMs are being reduced wherever possible. Fewer cast will be at registers in shops, fewer cast will operate resort front desks, fewer cast will be handling bags at the resorts, and fewer cast will be running attractions.

Overtime is being suspended wherever possible, and when cast leave, they are not being replaced.

Things are just getting started now, and are thought to be continuing through to the summer. No word yet on how long they will be in place.

What's the reason for this when the company has record performance in Q1? Overseas parks. Specially Shanghai's cost over-runs, and continuing poor performance of Disneyland Paris - which has increased further with the terrorist attacks.
who in their gooddarn mind would cuts when the parks are bussiest and giving as much money as they giving?
they are squeezing and killing their golden chicken!

Cesar R M

This really has nothing to do with Paris. This is all related to the the delays at Shanghai Disneyland.
So, they cuts are to balance the "loss of income"? because Disneyland Shangai will be delayed again and the planned opening will not happen and thus Disney will not receive any money from these planned days?

The only impact presidental elections have on WDW is what robot to build every 4-8 years.
unless a candidate sold The support to Disney's VISA permits (and other companies) for $$GRANTS$$ and $$DONORS$$.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom