Crowds are down? Curious about the claims . . .

glvsav37

Well, you just crushed my hopes and dreams for low crowds on my own trip.lol
Hope you had a great time even with the crowds!
That was July 4th week. I would expected it esp being that the 4th was on a Monday meaning those closer could make it a long weekend trip

I watched a live stream of WDW radio from the MK yesterday afternoon and I was shocked how un-busy it seemed. I could actually see pavement in tomorrow land...on a Friday...in July....mid day.

Granted it was only one side of the park, but I was still surprised. I usually visit in july, so I have a handle on the normal volume.
https://postimg.org/image/haijzuktd/

The Mom

Premium Member
Quoting from http://www.fampeople.com/cat-bob-iger:

Iger was born to a Jewish [...] family in Long Island, New York. His mother Mimi worked at Boardman Junior High School in Oceanside, New York and his father Arthur was executive vice president and general manager of the Greenvale Marketing Corporation, and a professor of advertising and public relations.​

Really, his father was an "executive vice president and general manager of the Greenvale Marketing Corporation, and a professor of advertising and public relations" living on Long Island and Iger wants us to believe that his family couldn't afford Disneyland? :rolleyes:

Recalling that Iger was born in 1951 and would have been of the appropriate age for Disneyland by about 1960, maybe Iger's parents, like many upper middle class families of that time, thought an amusement park was too "common" for them, so saying it was "too expensive" was just something they said to quiet their son.

Or maybe it's a just a story Iger tells to the public to justify price hikes. :greedy:

As I've documented many times, until 1984 WDW and DLR were both eminently affordable for nearly all families.

Come on Iger, I was paying for my own WDW vacations when I was making $3.75/hour as a life guard!

My husband grew up in a family situation similar to Iger's.

I can believe that his family felt they couldn't afford a Disney vacation . The cost of airfare was much higher than it is now, compared to income. I took my first flight in 1970, and the same flight costs about the same now. But that was at a time when I was making less than $15,000 per year! An income of $150,000 made you part of the 1%. My husband's family (5 children) never flew anywhere - it was too expensive. and they were well off.

Driving would eat up a large portion of a limited vacation, so it was easier to spend time closer to home.

Also, vacations were not child-centric back then - they were primarily for the working adults, although destinations were usually chosen so the children would also have something to do. It would never have occurred to any of my sibs and I to decide where we would vacation - if we could have afforded to go anywhere. We didn't even have a say in day trips! My husband had the same experience - the children had no say in the destination.

I forgot to add -

The economy in the NE was not doing all that well - many factories, especially textiles, were closing. The economy in the SE was improving; many factories were opening - especially textiles. As I recall, the West Coast was also having a housing boom.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think comparing a family of 4 against a family of 2- when not comparing apples to apples is just, ignorant. Especially assuming how someone else travels.
The original point of this was that people are being priced out of Disney or at least priced out of going as often as they used to be able to REGARDLESS what your travel preferences are. I was not looking back on the past either. I was making a point to provide EVIDENCE (you know, the thing you call Salmon) to show how rapidly their prices are increasing.

21stamps

I'm currently at DHS and it is clearly less crowded than normal...but hey I'm not complaining lol
This is what I'm most curious about- HS crowds.

Does it seem like people are staying away because of the closures?
Or are more people going because of the new Star Wars additions?

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
This is what I'm most curious about- HS crowds.

Does it seem like people are staying away because of the closures?
Or are more people going because of the new Star Wars additions?
Quite frankly I'm not sure what's keeping them away. The park just has an emptiness to it today. I went on the stand by line for TGMR and waited 10 mins. To me that's not normal for a Saturday in July.

21stamps

The original point of this was that people are being priced out of Disney or at least priced out of going as often as they used to be able to REGARDLESS what your travel preferences are. I was not looking back on the past either. I was making a point to provide EVIDENCE (you know, the thing you call Salmon) to show how rapidly their prices are increasing.
Yes, which is why I posted actual, factual, data of other Florida area hotels and their, just as dramatic as Disney, price increases over the past few years. Not comparing my family to another, comparing relevant industry pricing.

Unfortunately everything has become more expensive. That point has been discussed though.

I think, as other have said, that the reason is not only the price increase- because there are a lot of new families who didn't take their children 5 years ago. So they don't have that comparison. Will be interesting to see the percentage of how up or most likely down Florida tourism was in 2016 as a whole.
Quite frankly I'm not sure what's keeping them away. The park just has an emptiness to it today. I went on the stand by line for TGMR and waited 10 mins. To me that's not normal for a Saturday in July.
Please give a report on your next visit as well..and enjoy the low crowds!!

Does anyone including @wdwmagic have an idea about Hollywood Studios attendance this year?

TikiTorch

I saw many more Star Wars T-shirts on guests at HS than at any of the other parks. That may not mean anything... But to me it may mean that the Star Wars offerings are drawing people to HS that would otherwise skip it. Overall attendance may be down, but it would probably be much worse if they weren't offering so many Star Wars things. The Galactic Spectacular really is spectacular. That alone is a good reason to at least spend the last half of a day at HS.

21stamps

I saw many more Star Wars T-shirts on guests at HS than at any of the other parks. That may not mean anything... But to me it may mean that the Star Wars offerings are drawing people to HS that would otherwise skip it. Overall attendance may be down, but it would probably be much worse if they weren't offering so many Star Wars things. The Galactic Spectacular really is spectacular. That alone is a good reason to at least spend the last half of a day at HS.
I still don't fully understand the logistics of attending Fantasmic and Star Wars fireworks. The park closes at 7 during my week.
I currently have a F! Dinner reservation (was kiddo's fave show), but would love to add a Star Wars desert party when they get released. Doesn't seem like both are possible time wise, and I'm not looking forward to deciding between the two.

Minnesota disney fan

My husband grew up in a family situation similar to Iger's.

I can believe that his family felt they couldn't afford a Disney vacation . The cost of airfare was much higher than it is now, compared to income. I took my first flight in 1970, and the same flight costs about the same now. But that was at a time when I was making less than $15,000 per year! An income of $150,000 made you part of the 1%. My husband's family (5 children) never flew anywhere - it was too expensive. and they were well off.

Driving would eat up a large portion of a limited vacation, so it was easier to spend time closer to home.

Also, vacations were not child-centric back then - they were primarily for the working adults, although destinations were usually chosen so the children would also have something to do. It would never have occurred to any of my sibs and I to decide where we would vacation - if we could have afforded to go anywhere. We didn't even have a say in day trips! My husband had the same experience - the children had no say in the destination.

I forgot to add -

Yes, our family was like that too, but not well off. I used to watch "The Wonderful World of Disney" and dream of being there. We could not afford it at all though. I did get Mickey ears one Christmas with my name on them :) What a great gift!
We also had zero imput into our family vacations. We went fishing to a local lake for a week. Dad and Mom decided where we went, and we entertained ourselves running around the lake front, hide and seek, just general out door playing:) On Friday night of our vacation, my Dad would take us to the lake's amusement park for one magical evening! I still remember those special Friday nights with my Dad.
So, it sounds like our childhood's were similar!
The economy in the NE was not doing all that well - many factories, especially textiles, were closing. The economy in the SE was improving; many factories were opening - especially textiles. As I recall, the West Coast was also having a housing boom.

kbmum

I'll chime in here just to mention that my family of four (kids aged 2 and 1) did six full days from July 1-6. There were only two times crowds seemed light to us: After a 2 hour rain at Epcot on July 2 and after 4:00 at AK on July 4. We purposefully went to AK on the 4th to avoid large crowds, but it seemed quite crowded through early afternoon, at least more than we expected. AK was definitely emptying out after dinner on the 4th; Tusker House had plenty of empty tables at 6:30. Nevertheless, the crowd was huge for the 9:00 Jungle Book show. As for MK, it seemed packed all three days we went. We might not have ridden any rides with the toddlers had it not been for Fastpasses. We visited HS on the 6th and considering how much of that park is closed and the lack of rides for little ones it was more crowded than we expected also. Full houses for Disney Jr, Frozen Singalong, and Beauty and the Beast.

My family was there June 29-July 8. Like you, we experienced large crowds just about everywhere we went. We definitely didn't see short wait times for rides and the only restaurant we ate at that seemed to have tables available was The Wave at the Contemporary. Disney Springs was very crowded on the 4th.

raven

Perhaps it could be fear of traveling due to current events. Istanbul, Pulse, Dallas, gator attack... Those types of things are fresh in people's minds and they might just be afraid to go anywhere.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20160709_132908.jpg
View from the stage...kinda empty for a Saturday afternoon at DHS

Attachments

• 20160709_132908.jpg
    20160709_132908.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 49

gmajew

Premium Member
Quoting from http://www.fampeople.com/cat-bob-iger:

Iger was born to a Jewish [...] family in Long Island, New York. His mother Mimi worked at Boardman Junior High School in Oceanside, New York and his father Arthur was executive vice president and general manager of the Greenvale Marketing Corporation, and a professor of advertising and public relations.​

Really, his father was an "executive vice president and general manager of the Greenvale Marketing Corporation, and a professor of advertising and public relations" living on Long Island and Iger wants us to believe that his family couldn't afford Disneyland? :rolleyes:

Recalling that Iger was born in 1951 and would have been of the appropriate age for Disneyland by about 1960, maybe Iger's parents, like many upper middle class families of that time, thought an amusement park was too "common" for them, so saying it was "too expensive" was just something they said to quiet their son.

Or maybe it's just a story Iger tells to the public to justify price hikes. :greedy:

As I've documented many times, until 1984 WDW and DLR were both eminently affordable for nearly all families.

Come on Iger, I was paying for my own WDW vacations when I was making $3.75/hour as a life guard!

Cost of airfare?

SorcererMC

Perhaps it could be fear of traveling due to current events. Istanbul, Pulse, Dallas, gator attack... Those types of things are fresh in people's minds and they might just be afraid to go anywhere.

In June, VisitOrlando was saying that they had not seen any indication of changes to visitors' plans. [pre-existing]. Tourism industry experts, on the other hand, were expecting an impact of 5-15%, citing future bookings, b/c tourists 'moods' and perception of safety have an impact on choosing the destination. WDW is unique due to the emotional and financial investment that most visitors make while planning their vacation, and they are unlikely to change those plans. It's murky.

Tourism has traditionally been FL#1 industry, accounting for 23% state GDP. It's not realistic to expect no impact whatsoever, and it's even more difficult to point to the exact culprit (combined with price increases, gator attack, intl econ issues) - depends on what WDW data is showing, and if it has the capability of parsing it out.

I'm somewhat repeating myself so more on intl terrorism econ impact in
To find recent comparable cases of terrorist incidents economic impact on tourism, look to: Istanbul 06-30-16, Belgium (Brussels) 03-22-16, France (Paris) 11-13-15, Tunisia 03-19-15, Egypt 2005, London subway bombing 07-07-05, Madrid train 2004, Bali nightclub bombing Oct 2002, and NYC/DC 9-11. Almost all of these are cases in Europe or affect European (especially UK) travelers, and the number of recent attacks is indicative of the emerging trend of decentralized terrorist orgs. Airline industry is a traditional soft target (going back to 1970s-80s-90s).

After 9/11, it took NYC hotels 34 months to return to prior occupancy levels (already 2001 econ recession). Bali hotels offered discounts of 30%, but rebounded the following year (another popular destination for UK and EU travelers). Some hotels in Greece are seeing 50+% drops in occupancy (despite increasing volume of tourists) due to the migrant crisis (ie not terrorism but impact on tourism). Tourism is also an important econ sector for Europe (obviously).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom