Crazy Tuesday at the Vacation Kingdom

RSoxNo1

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

simpsons_monorail.gif

MONORAIL!

Good Work

Technically any thing can bend but I doubt that is the issue. I am assuming that under certain high wind conditions the car could get jostled around on the track enough to damage the drive wheels, motors, etc.

Sorry Yoda, you missed the reference.

whendoweleave?

You know I was thinking the same.. The Gov't saying we are in a recession only allows companies to lay off its workforce. But I work for a cell company and we are adding more lines than ever... If it was that bad why are people adding $100+ monthly cell bills with contracts... I was there in december and the parks were busy and people were buying items in shops... You can't tell me they are hurting that bad... or the rest of companies in America.. maybe people don't have $40k to buy a new car.. but they have the few thousand to have vacations...

I'm self employed and have been for over 20 years. I'm a home remodeling contractor and i can tell you first hand people are afraid to spend money right now. My business is off by some 70% from a year ago. I'M not the only one many of my friends who own their own businesses are experiencing the same issues. They have a wide range of businesses from,Painting,flooring,plumbers,insurance,mail boxes etc., auto repair.
Customers are telling all of us the same thing they are VERY afraid right now. They get their 401k statements and find that they have lost about 1/2 of what they had a little over a year ago_Others are finding that the house they bought several years ago are not worth near what they were.

I do feel that yes we are in a bad way for many reasons but i think the news media feeds the fire and keeps it going. They spread fear among the masses. With all the 24 hour news outlets they need to talk about something. People get tired of hearing about "octo mom" 'Tot mom" " Was it a Fax paw that Mrs. Obama touched the queen"
It's just like the "storm of the century" warnings they love to give out. People panic and run out empty the local super markets because "a storm is on the way" then we end up with just a few snow flakes. They need to keep you watching somehow.

I have been in the parks many time since the 1st of the year and the place seems way more crowded than in years past at the same time. I'm not talking about wait times there are just way more people in the parks. So I'm not really sure what is going on. It may well be the huge discounts that are being offered. All i can say is i hope things turn around soon or your going to see many more small businesses go under.

WDW1974

One day or even one week of high attendance means nothing

That's kind of intelligent response has no place here.

WDW is sorely lacking anything to get the fanbois excited, so we all need to jump to crazy conclusions based on one VERY typical holiday week ... well, except for the fact that normally during Easter week there are almost no discounts, certainly not of the three free night variety anyway.

~Lost: tonight at 9 on ABC~

disney9752

I went to MK about 2 years ago to visit a friend and the monorails were stopped, but it was a bright, clear day...or so I thought....took the ferry and about 5 mins after we entered the park, it was like a mini-hurricane hit (and I'm practically a Florida native, I'm not exaggerating), huge gusts of wind, severe lightning, rain going sideways...for about 20 mins, then it cleared up.

I then realized why the monorails had been stopped.

I'm not sure if that was for the wind or the lightning. Have you ever heard what the lightning does to the computer system on the monorail if it gets hit?? safer to have them in stations that stuck on the beam from a strike.:wave:

devoy1701

You know I was thinking the same.. The Gov't saying we are in a recession only allows companies to lay off its workforce. But I work for a cell company and we are adding more lines than ever... If it was that bad why are people adding $100+ monthly cell bills with contracts... I was there in december and the parks were busy and people were buying items in shops... You can't tell me they are hurting that bad... or the rest of companies in America.. maybe people don't have $40k to buy a new car.. but they have the few thousand to have vacations...

some people will just never get it I guess... :brick:

Figment632

I think we shot right on by recession on the way to depression ...

~Do Third World Countries Get To Keep Nukes?~

The rescession is still not even as bad as the one from the late 70's, we are no where near a depression.

I was in the fan store at a Ranger game in MSG a couple of days ago and people were spending like crazy. I had the same reaction as some of you, I was thinking isnt there a recession?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm not sure if that was for the wind or the lightning. Have you ever heard what the lightning does to the computer system on the monorail if it gets hit?? safer to have them in stations that stuck on the beam from a strike.:wave:

True, but wouldn't that mean that every day in the summer they'd have to be out of commission for an hour or so?

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Was there a frozen donkey wheel involved?

You should see the giant four-toed foot on Beachcomber Isle... :lookaroun

On the subject of rails, I'm having trouble with the idea the winds are sustained at 40 MPH ... and that's the issue with shutting them down. I've been there during tropical depressions and storms and the trains have run.

That's just what the maintenance guys told me. :shrug:

yankspy

That's kind of intelligent response has no place here.

WDW is sorely lacking anything to get the fanbois excited, so we all need to jump to crazy conclusions based on one VERY typical holiday week ... well, except for the fact that normally during Easter week there are almost no discounts, certainly not of the three free night variety anyway.

~Lost: tonight at 9 on ABC~
I should think that they would be happy to have a "very typical week" in terms of crowds when many businesses are not having typical weeks. Even with discounts and such I can't imagine that they are losing money on those people who are coming.

nibblesandbits

But I thought there were black-out dates in April. Am I wrong?
I was actually wondering that myself...weren't there black out dates specifically around this time in the 4 for 7 deal? Does someone else know? Specifically someone with Kingdom Konsultants...who'd have an idea...:lookaroun

fosse76

some people will just never get it I guess... :brick:

Recessions don't affect everybody, and those who aren't affected like to think everyone else is just making it up. Since the current recession started, over 5 MILLION jobs have been lost. 663,000 alone were lost in March. And these are based on unemployment claims. The number is most likely higher, since the government has no way of counting the unemployed who don't collect unemployment. But according to some people here, the Magic Kingdom is packed, so the recession is just in the minds of the 8.5% who have lost their jobs. People who can afford to go are going while it's cheap...you'd almost be a fool not to. And as has been stated, the Magic Kingdom's capacity is based on number of attractions, cast members, security, food, drink, and shops available. So a packed park doesn't necessarily mean there are any earth shattering records being broken. And with all the discounts, at MOST Disney might break even with last year...but they unlikely will make any profit gains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom