News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

The Chatbox Ghost

For future use, bookmark...

Thanks!

The Chatbox Ghost

I don't see why a Whole New World was a choice at all? How do the words or message of the song have anything to do with Country Bears??
I mean, it's a love song. Most of the OG songs are about love, and AWNW is arguably one of Disney's best, right after I See The Light. I know its lyrics aren't generic enough that it could be reused in a different context well, but I think it at least works as a song that feels metaphorical- Wendell isn't literally offering to show Teddi the world on a magic carpet, it's more of an expression.

J.E.Smith

And I suppose Teddi's swing works as a stand-in for the carpet.

Anyways, now that I think about it if they had Blood on the Saddle for Big Al's reprise, it could have been seen as Big Al trying to rebel against the Disney song IP mandates lol. Like Al giving up on Remember Me could have been viewed as him not wanting to go on doing the IP song and he tries sneaking Blood On The Saddle in later.

ElijahDAdams

I do wish the finale had more of a Christmas Special style ending, where each character got a solo line. Really made it feel like the whole gang was there when you single them out.

Also, kinda related, how fast do the turntables behind the curtains move? I wonder if it would've been possible to have Ernest be a part of the CBMJ finale, closing the curtains on him a little earlier to allow for the switch to Al. Ernest has got to have the unluckiest spot out of all the Country Bears, because sharing a stage with Big Al means you're pretty much always guaranteed to miss out on Full Company songs. At least Trixie could realistically be in a finale, with Henry taking Shaker's spot, but you can't not have Big Al in a finale sadly.
I completely agree. The finale feels a bit rushed and each bear's dialogue is indistinguishable from one another, except Henry and Sammy.

It's funny you bring up the turntable Ernest/Trixie situation. I've wondered about this for a while and originally thought they might finally integrate Trixie into the new finale, moving Henry and Sammy to Shaker's spot, based on the concept art we got plus how heavily they've promoted the involvement of Emily Ann Roberts. I think it's a huge missed opportunity not showcasing either of them considering Al's absence for "Bare Necessities" and there's already such a lack of female characters in the show (especially since the Sun Bonnets are now just backup singers).
country-bear-musical-jamboree-concpet-art.png

Haymarket2008

As expected, any change creates strong emotional reactions.

My 2 cents - this type of change is exactly what every attraction should go through the scrutinty of. I love the original Country Bears Jamboree; but, I'm not going to sit and pretend that it was pulling it's weight in a park that still is in dire need of capacity.

Of course, I could insert the ad naseum Walt axiom about the parks not being a museum; but, in this case - there was a piece of prime real estate in the park that could either undergo a wholesale makeover into something completely different or even worse - get shuttered like so many other things around the resort when they can't pull their own.

What I immediately picked up on with this makeover versus other attempts on different attractions is that the tone and framework of all the show beats that worked in the classic version are still present even if what was being sung or said has changed. It still 100% feels like the Country Bears. It's just they are now singing a different tune. In this case, change is good.

In the long run, this is exactly what should happen with every under performing attraction as history has already shown us that true addition to the parks (by actually adding new things without taking away) is very, very infrequent. Simply, TDO is adverse to spending more on labor and maintenance and would rather steer crowds around the parks to what is already present (with the exception of what lies beyond Big Thunder and in Adventureland as they've finally given up on trying to keep people out of MK and instead just want to cram more in).

Thinking this makeover through and applying the lessons learned here to other updates think of the Imagination attempts. They have failed because they were changes for the sake of changes. The quality and tone couldn't match or exceed what was there before even when they attempted to make the second attempt closer with the addition of Figment - the tone of the attraction and character were still different.

Hopefully, this version of Bears will be a success and steer some crowds its direction and when it stops doing that - simply revisit it again. The Bears weren't broken... they just needed a new coat of fur and tunes to bring people back.

In short... don't throw the Bear out with the bathwater. Simply lather, rinse, and repeat.

Absolutely brilliant analysis. Well done.

J.E.Smith

Noticed in a video of a different showing that the amount of fog was toned down during Wendell and Teddi's number. Wonder if they readjusted it because it obscured Wendell too much and lingered around too long into the start of Shaker's number. (I was going to say "the fog's broken already!" but that's too quick to assume. This isn't Tiana after all lol)

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

A lot of people saying this is better then they expected... what did they expect? The Bears appear, sing achingly familiar Disney songs that don't fit this context and lack any humor, mouth a few lines meant to remind guests of jokes from the original show, and the show ends. It's EXACTLY what folks should expect from the modern Disney parks - cloying, unimaginative, offensively safe, and designed to appeal to nostalgia by evoking the FORM but not the SUBSTANCE of classic Disney.

LittleBuford

A lot of people saying this is better then they expected... what did they expect? The Bears appear, sing achingly familiar Disney songs that don't fit this context and lack any humor, mouth a few lines meant to remind guests of jokes from the original show, and the show ends. It's EXACTLY what folks should expect from the modern Disney parks - cloying, unimaginative, offensively safe, and designed to appeal to nostalgia by evoking the FORM but not the SUBSTANCE of classic Disney.
I’m avoiding videos of the new show, as I have a trip planned and want to experience it in person first, but I think what people (myself included) feared was that the bears would lose their personalities. That doesn’t seem to have happened, based on what posters here are saying.

Casper Gutman

I’m avoiding videos of the new show, as I have a trip planned and want to experience it in person first, but I think what people (myself included) feared was that the bears would lose their personalities. That doesn’t seem to have happened, based on what posters here are saying.
Sadly, I feel it absolutely has. Teddi, Trixie, Wendell, the Bonnetts, and the Bear Band have no personalities at all. Big Al’s entire bit doesn’t work anymore - it’s been mangled and the character rendered incoherent. Henry and Romeo are really the only characters with any personality at all in this version of the show. People are projecting their memories of the distinct personalities from the old version onto the empty vessels in the current show.

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

I finally watched the video and while I know it's a video and I'm not "in the moment," I feel that I get enough of the show to be able to form an opinion on it.
For me, it just doesn't work. It's awesome to see some new life and love put into the attraction (the smoking fiddle is a great touch!), but the show itself just isn't good.

The songs don't hit. Kiss the Girl is ok but even that isn't better than anything from the previous incarnation. Big Al singing Remember Me (in a VERY short scene) is a huge swing and a miss.

Even at the end of it's life the finale had people stomping feet and clapping...the videos I've watched just have people singing along to Bare Necessities... while they are singing...they're not "feeling it."

I keep seeing the Under New Management being brought up in comparison and how it's "better than that." Personally, I don't know if it really is. Compared to the Tiki Birds, Iago and Zazu were really good new animatronics. The show itself was annoying but isn't that in line with the characters? To me, this new CBJ show just falls flat and really has nothing to do with the Bears.

Why not license some songs to refresh it?
Big Al singing "Friends in Low Places"
Trixie singing "Tears on my Guitar"
The Bear Rugs could get the crowd stomping their feet with an original
Bonnets could sing a Dixie Chicks song.

I'm saddened by it because I had such high hopes with the Bare Necessities video they first posted. Loved the original show and now it's just another Disney singalong that has no connection to the theme.

lazyboy97o

Another perspective is that it is better that Figment still exists as a character in the park because he's both a worthwhile character to keep alive and it also keeps alive the possibility they can do something better with him.
They could but they have not. If anything, the ride now being good enough is exactly why it has now outlived the far better original. There’s no incentive to do anything better. The ride is utilized and, most importantly, the merchandise is selling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom