News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

prberk

A few thoughts:

The album, “O Mickey Where Art Thou,” that Disney released during the “O Brother Where Art Thou” craze around 2000, demonstrated that Disney can produce first-rate country/bluegrass interpretations of classic Disney tunes when they allow Nashville A-Team musicians, artists, and vocalists to produce it. That album involved folks in Nashville who had deep country roots and approached the project with passion. Look it up.

That said, they can also produce a fun, entertaining show that affectionately calls us to another time with or without “Disney” songs to bring us out of it. The original Country Bear Jamboree took us to an old fashioned “medicine show” style revue of “our musical heritage of the past,” to quote the show. It was well-researched and produced with obvious passion at the time by writers, artists, musicians, and voice actors who knew the genre, including western star Tex Ritter (“Big Al”) and the Stoneman Family, the patriarch of whom was at the 1927 Bristol Sessions - the historic recordings considered to be the first commercial recordings of Appalachian folk music that was to become recognized as “country music.” The first show, like this one, seemed to employ both Disney or Hollywood voice talent with country (and western) music professionals who knew the genre to produce a show that paid homage to Americana and the musical heritage of the past while being entertaining in a new way.

I think they could do that again.

Could the current show use an update? Yes. Are there modern folks in Nashville who can do music that pays homage to the past but have a foot in the present? Absolutely! (Marty Stewart, Riders in the Sky, and Opry band members who play with both classic artists and newcomers every week, for obvious examples.) Can Disney songs be involved? Yes. (Even the original threw in “Davy Crocket.”)

So, I would love to see an update helmed by Nashville artists along with writers and vocalists who understand the music and medicine shows of the past. That’s the beauty of it. It can even involve Disney songs. But I really wish it would not be a Disney song revue. Think of the Hoop De Doo Revue. It represents a similar time period — old western medicine show revues — and its value, just as Walt envisioned for his themed lands, is that of bringing us to a time and place with unique showmanship.

I don’t mind an update, and I trust that there are Nashville and Disney artists who can do it with passion and understanding of the genre and time period. But it should not be all Disney songs. It should be Americana songs representing our “musical heritage of the past,” with a little bit of “chit chat and flip flam,” to quote Henry.

Touchdown

I know it’s not a Disney song, but I really wish they’d bring back “Thank God I’m a Country Bear” from the vacation hoedown for the finale.

celluloid

I’m a big fan of Runaway Railway (which I’ve ridden over at Disneyland) and consider it superior to the Great Movie Ride. I also think the Jungle Cruise modifications (again, I’ve only experienced them at Disneyland) were well done.
I don't think those are rethemes of material though. Jungle Cruise was a few modifications but the jokes are the same.

Great Movie Ride only shares the show building that Runaway Railway was in.
This question was for rethemes.

LittleBuford

I don't think those are rethemes of material though. Jungle Cruise was a few modifications but the jokes are the same.

Great Movie Ride only shares the show building that Runaway Railway was in.
This question was for rethemes.
The only ride I can think of that qualifies is Frozen Ever After, which I enjoy. Which rethemes did you have in mind?

celluloid

MyThe only ride I can think of that qualifies is Frozen Ever After, which I enjoy. Which rethemes did you have in mind?
That is the problem and why the hesitation that this will be good makes sense. There is the reason it is the only retheme you can think of as good to great.
Not just ride specifically but attractions. My original post and point was that I was echoing it is reasonable to lack expectations for WDW to do a retheme better than
The ones quoted when first asked to you.
Three Cab is prob the best. I would say Frozen but the way the kinetic outdoor opening was sealed up makes it lesser to me.
Star Tours was also one of the only other successes for WDW.
Test Track was blah.
Journey Into Imagination
Kitchen Kaberet to Food Rocks
Listen to the Land/living with The Land
Honey I shrunk the kids to prescreening of captain So without original effects to now a set of shorts you can see at home.
Monster Sound Show to Sounds Dangerous(which aspects of I liked) to now a cartoon screening.
Rafiki Planet majority exhibit floor and flow watch to Animation Academy
Layout and theater design of Animation to Launch Bay.
Barnstormer to current Barnstormer (kind of even but we lost more theming and animation
Stitches Great Escape.

This is all just WDW.
Far too meh to ouch than wows on the retheme the ride dynamic track record.

We could go into the other parks domestic and global. The results for DL has some wins.

Last edited:

Consumer

A few thoughts:

The album, “O Mickey Where Art Thou,” that Disney released during the “O Brother Where Art Thou” craze around 2000, demonstrated that Disney can produce first-rate country/bluegrass interpretations of classic Disney tunes when they allow Nashville A-Team musicians, artists, and vocalists to produce it. That album involved folks in Nashville who had deep country roots and approached the project with passion. Look it up.
Funny enough, I just returned to this thread to share this cover of "Baby Mine" by Alison Krauss, who sang "Down to the River to Pray" which was used in O Brother Where Art Thou. It's a beautiful cover that definitely echoes your sentiment. There's definitely potential in this makeover, even though I have little faith in WDI capabilities.

prberk

Funny enough, I just returned to this thread to share this cover of "Baby Mine" by Alison Krauss, who sang "Down to the River to Pray" which was used in O Brother Where Art Thou. It's a beautiful cover that definitely echoes your sentiment. There's definitely potential in this makeover, even though I have little faith in WDI capabilities.

It looks like “O Mickey Where Art Thou” is now out of print, but if you can find a copy on eBay or anywhere, I definitely recommend it. You need to hear the aching, heartbreaking version of “I Will Go Sailing No More” by Charlie Louvin. Best rendition of any Disney song ever. He was around 80 at the time and you could hear the emotion in the song, and that he felt it.

scottieRoss

Oh, there's worse! Disneyland's 30th anniversary tv special opening with the AA's sing about being excited of having *Ahem* "Relations"....Of course with alterations but the chorus...Is still the same..and oh soooooo wrong.

Thank you for posting the special. It brought back so many memories. I was in the marching band for the finale and on the People Mover tracks. Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana was the go to when Disney needed bands or extras. I had the thrill of being the first person over the drawbridge for the cast party for opening New Fantasyland and performing during this special as well as parading down Main Street. Can not believe this was almost 40 years ago.
Thank You!

scottieRoss

I'm not opposed to optimism where it seems warranted. But how did they do with the last sorts of makey makeovers?

POTC auction scene?
Pixar Pier?
San Fransokyo Square, featuring the world's most incompetently assembled bridge?
The beautiful Moana water thing that would have fit considerably better elsewhere?

They have not earned the benefit of the doubt.
have you been to Journey of Water yet? It fit perfectly in World Nature. It fulfills EPCOT's edutainment mission to a T. EPCOT is the perfect place for it to be.
No complaints about the auction scene as well. It fits perfect in the storyline and Redd is an empowering character

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

So, I would love to see an update helmed by Nashville artists along with writers and vocalists who understand the music and medicine shows of the past. That’s the beauty of it. It can even involve Disney songs. But I really wish it would not be a Disney song revue. Think of the Hoop De Doo Revue. It represents a similar time period — old western medicine show revues — and its value, just as Walt envisioned for his themed lands, is that of bringing us to a time and place with unique showmanship.

I don’t mind an update, and I trust that there are Nashville and Disney artists who can do it with passion and understanding of the genre and time period. But it should not be all Disney songs. It should be Americana songs representing our “musical heritage of the past,” with a little bit of ))“chit chat and flip flam,” to quote Henry.

Hear me out.... Ashley McBryde singing an arrangement of "Part of Your World" (she sings a song from LM as a warmup before going on stage (or used to, anyway), and I THINK it is this one. She happily attended the world premier of LM. (Complete with "clutch fries", because...who doesn't need a McD fry now and again?) For her 39th bday her band threw her a dinosaur/Toy Story party. She's absolutely a Disney fan, which is a great start.

Add to that, her songwriting/storytelling is next level and she'll happily step aside to let others take the spotlight on her projects (check out "Lindeville"). Her voice is heaven (I might be biased) but no one can deny she has a great sense of humor. For examples, check out "Fat and Famous" from her Jalopies and Expensive Guitars album, "Andy (I Can't Live Without You)" from Girl Goin' Nowhere, or "Brenda Put Your Bra On" from Lindeville (hillarious video, btw!).

I'm gonna try to stop fangirling now, but I'm telling you, she'd be a FANTASTIC choice for arranging/performing a song or even helping put together the show.

You guys do know that the songs chosen have to make a little bit of sense... Right?

I feel like this is mostly going to be 90s/early 2000s Disney music
Or they should be fun, clever, and current. Most likely, since this has been in development for five or more years, it will be the same boring, recycled crap they have throughout the parks that will take years to launch. We definitely need more of the same Toy Story, Frozen, and Moana music they have everywhere and in every iteration of every nighttime show. If done correctly and quickly, it could be an unexpected magical refresh of a classic.

I also think that test track 3.0 and even Tiana’s has potential. I think what frustrates many of us is the mindless and wasteful construction timelines and additions over the last few years. There is no reason to place Tron in MK (should be in Epcot). No reason for Guardians to be in Epcot (should be in HS) and many other cost cutting moves (empty GE, weak TSL, and the destruction of Epcot).

Give me an original Soarin (check), Refreshed 100% complete SSE, and a fully reimagined, mind blowing LED rainbow tunnel inspired, psychedelic, state of the art Figment Ride and I will be happy.

Oh and whoever thought up the Muppet Mayhem theme to replace RRC And turn that corner of HS into a muppet land is an absolute genius. That would allow GE to expand to TS.

caio

seabreezept813

that is the key: Reimagine what was once a great attraction.
Country music has changed, What we in this day and age consider funny has changed greatly.
It is past time for a redo of sorts, but it has to be done the right way...which is the puzzle.
They need to involve the best writers, the best talent to make this work and not become a self-referential joke or the toddler humor filled disaster that was Stitch's Great Escape...
This needs to be a classic again...
Get the people who did the PeopleMover narration. It was spot on!

prberk

Hear me out.... Ashley McBryde singing an arrangement of "Part of Your World" (she sings a song from LM as a warmup before going on stage (or used to, anyway), and I THINK it is this one. She happily attended the world premier of LM. (Complete with "clutch fries", because...who doesn't need a McD fry now and again?) For her 39th bday her band threw her a dinosaur/Toy Story party. She's absolutely a Disney fan, which is a great start.

Add to that, her songwriting/storytelling is next level and she'll happily step aside to let others take the spotlight on her projects (check out "Lindeville"). Her voice is heaven (I might be biased) but no one can deny she has a great sense of humor. For examples, check out "Fat and Famous" from her Jalopies and Expensive Guitars album, "Andy (I Can't Live Without You)" from Girl Goin' Nowhere, or "Brenda Put Your Bra On" from Lindeville (hillarious video, btw!).

I'm gonna try to stop fangirling now, but I'm telling you, she'd be a FANTASTIC choice for arranging/performing a song or even helping put together the show.
I could hear that. Just doesn’t have to be only “Disney” songs. I think she understands the heritage of the stage when she stands in the Opry circle. I was listening on WSM online the night she debuted and sang that song about a girl going nowhere. You could feel her pride AND humility when the song got to the part about the band coming in… which it did, with the audience applauding. She gets it. I just think the show does best without being total “Disney,” but rather an homage to the folk songs and Western medicine shows upon which it is based.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom