News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

EricsBiscuit

To say that “some people want things to stay the same as in 1971” is a total straw man. Of course the resort can’t stay stagnant, no one is advocating for that. What we are saying is that change for the sake of change is bad. If you’re going to change an attraction, change it in a way that is going to actually improve it. Stay true to the park’s themes and values.

Gusey

To say that “some people want things to stay the same as in 1971” is a total straw man. Of course the resort can’t stay stagnant, no one is advocating for that. What we are saying is that change for the sake of change is bad. If you’re going to change an attraction, change it in a way that is going to actually improve it. Stay true to the park’s themes and values.
It's not change for the sake of change though. It was a way to keep the Country Bears in the park when Disney were considering replacing them with something.

TrainsOfDisney

To say that “some people want things to stay the same as in 1971” is a total straw man. Of course the resort can’t stay stagnant, no one is advocating for that.
Exactly - nobody wants the Polynesian to stay exactly the same as it was in 1971. Obviously things need to be updated for various reasons.

But tearing out the central water feature and modernizing the resort too much takes away much of what made the Polynesian special.

Similar concern with the bears - getting an upgrade / update can be good - but if you tear away too much you take away what made them special.

I’m still hoping for the best with the bears - I think it can turn out pretty good but to be fair I didn’t think tiki room under new management was that terrible but I am a Kevin Rafferty fan so what can I say! Haha

JD80

The show was bad and uninteresting.

Ranked 50/58 of MK attractions according to touring plans. Magic Carpets ranks higher.

TrainsOfDisney

Seeing the TBA video gives me zero hope for this reimagining.
The hope is that it’s a different set of designers. the fact that the posters don’t say “country bear foods” and we don’t have a backstory about one of the bears who somehow helped win one of the world wars is all pointing to the right direction!
Obviously many of us loved it - partly for how quirky it was! It’s kinda like the muppets - you either enjoy that style of humor or you don’t.

Rich Brownn

Ranked 50/58 of MK attractions according to touring plans. Magic Carpets ranks higher.

Just shows how jaded people come with time. In its heyday the lines were so long Disney actually ripped out two store to put the line inside. And it went from a D to an E ticket due to demand

Virtual Toad

To call it "bad and uninteresting" is an opinion, which is fine. But according to Touring Plans, while it ranks low on the list, it still gets a respectable 3.6 out of 5, a rating pulled down somewhat by a 3-star rating among teens which is not surprising.

By the way, those same rankings put IASW at number 43 below Pooh (39) and Carousel of Progress (36). Tiki Room ranks more popular at 35, and Mermaid at 33, while Peter Pan (29) is beaten by Buzz (25).

All of the above have lower ratings than the Main Street Philharmonic (21), Laugh Floor (20), and the daily flag lowering ceremony which comes in 19th.

BTW, I happen to love Touring Plans. But their rankings show two things: tastes vary, and the MK has traditionally had a wide array of attractions and experiences for people of all ages.

To take those rankings and infer that they are evidence that CBJ is simply "bad and uninteresting" is reductive and misleading.

JD80

To call it "bad and uninteresting" is an opinion, which is fine. But according to Touring Plans, while it ranks low on the list, it still gets a respectable 3.6 out of 5, a rating pulled down somewhat by a 3-star rating among teens which is not surprising.

By the way, those same rankings put IASW at number 43 below Pooh (39) and Carousel of Progress (36). Tiki Room ranks more popular at 35, and Mermaid at 33, while Peter Pan (29) is beaten by Buzz (25).

All of the above have lower ratings than the Main Street Philharmonic (21), Laugh Floor (20), and the daily flag lowering ceremony which comes in 19th.

BTW, I happen to love Touring Plans. But their rankings show two things: tastes vary, and the MK has traditionally had a wide array of attractions and experiences for people of all ages.

To take those rankings and infer that they are evidence that CBJ is simply "bad and uninteresting" is reductive and misleading.

Of course it's an opinion. But it's not a popular attraction. It'd bad because the audio quality was awful in that building, the lyrics are cringy and I don't really like explaining the off color jokes to my young kids. The whole thing was due for an overhaul.

Saying it was bad and uninteresting is an opinion. My point with TP is that it is at the bottom of attractions in the park. My opinion of Bad and Uninteresting is in context of what else is available in the rest of the Park.

lazyboy97o

Of course it's an opinion. But it's not a popular attraction. It'd bad because the audio quality was awful in that building, the lyrics are cringy and I don't really like explaining the off color jokes to my young kids. The whole thing was due for an overhaul.

Saying it was bad and uninteresting is an opinion. My point with TP is that it is at the bottom of attractions in the park. My opinion of Bad and Uninteresting is in context of what else is available in the rest of the Park.
It’s a continuously running theater show. It does not need to be very popular. The roll it plays is as something that people can easily experience which is exactly what people did. The run time was even reduced to increase capacity.

A park with all of undisputed best attractions in the world would still have ones ranked at the bottom.

WeNamedTheDogIndiana

which ones did you feel the need to explain?
"He's a regular Liber-ay-chee. And he plays good, too!" Not inappropriate by most standards, including mine (Happy Pride!), but it does need explanation for most kids.

I'm not saying this is a direct reference, and this could be my theatre roots talking, but "My Woman Ain't Purty" always gave me "If You Could See Her Through My Eyes" moments, and that song is DEFINITELY a discussion.

"Momma Don't Whoop Little Buford." ...Come on. Even if you think it's harmless, it merits discussion.

"Devilish Mary," before it was cut, was about spousal abuse.

"Turn Me On" sounds more inappropriate than it is... Until you get to later verses. The singer had plastic surgery on her knees, for crying out loud!

"If You Can't Bite..." is about cheating. Come on.

Davy Crockett "killed him a bar," no matter what the Bears say. And later on, his actions against Native Americans get worse.

Not to mention, Liverlips is a racial slur.

I'm sure it doesn't sound like it, but I love the Country Bears. @TeriofTerror and I refer to them as "my bears" for a reason. I'll hold every iteration dear to my heart, and will still be glad Disney is finding a way to keep them appropriately relevant.

TrainsOfDisney

maybe times have changed to the point where the original Muppets and Country Bears are “off color” but I thought the whole point was to entertain the kids with singing bears and have a few jokes that go to the adults in the room - just like the classic muppet show.

Do you feel the need to explain to your young children why “took the job for the halibut” is funny?

celluloid

If people came to any thread and posted once or twice a page, every day, for a year on how something IS AMAZING! without thought it would equally be eyerolling.
Again, why toss in "without thought" in there? Just because you find someone's critiques negative does not mean that they are without thought. I think it is fair to say most have thought behind them

for the bolded sans the withoight thought jab:

The Tiana thresds for the last 18 months on how great and how much faith they have in the project.

A lot of praising is the way people show that they hope things will get better than what has been mostly produced lately.

Heavy amount of critiques are from the people who know things should be majority better than what has been produced lately.

Bot can be tiring to see for different people.

Both can be right.

I don't think we need to call others thoughtless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom