News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

The Leader of the Club

The show wasn’t running near empty shows. It had a healthy visitation that is just about what you want for a continuous theater show, just enough so people can reliably drop into the show. The show was also cut down to reduce its run time and increased hourly capacity. They’re spending a bunch now for a marginal return.
If they’d only paid to replace the animatronics while keeping the same show, they would have been spending a bunch for no return.

splah

Well I’ve gone a rabbit hole. And found precedent.

Some songs work countrified but a lot are jarring. It slaps you in the face because you know what it “should” sound like.

One I now hope is included is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious its zany and this bluegrass cover is fun. It fits the bears

others that seem to work
Heigh ho

Oh de lally

I can even see cruella de vil. It’s got that over the top story telling of a good country song

Almost there

Hakuna matata

Rockabilly Casey jr

I’ve decided after listening to a bunch from these playlist that it’s a mistake to do ballads unless they’re grounded. New world and beauty and the beast don’t work and I can’t put my finger on why. Perhaps they don’t have that “Everyman” feel

Here’s even a whole new world - the lyrics are too high brow for this show

But then somehow from hunchback does

All the playlists

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Well I’ve gone a rabbit hole. And found precedent.

Some songs work countrified but a lot are jarring. It slaps you in the face because you know what it “should” sound like.

One I now hope is included is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious its zany and this bluegrass cover is fun. It fits the bears

others that seem to work
Heigh ho

Oh de lally

I can even see cruella de vil. It’s got that over the top story telling of a good country song

Almost there

Hakuna matata

Rockabilly Casey jr

I’ve decided after listening to a bunch from these playlist that it’s a mistake to do ballads unless they’re grounded. New world and beauty and the beast don’t work and I can’t put my finger on why. Perhaps they don’t have that “Everyman” feel

Here’s even a whole new world - the lyrics are too high brow for this show

But then somehow from hunchback does

All the playlists

The Craig Duncan album is verrrrrrrry good stuff.

Rich T

If they’d only paid to replace the animatronics while keeping the same show, they would have been spending a bunch for no return.
The return would have been long-term: maintaining Disney’s reputation for keeping their attractions in top form and making sure people want to return to experience that level of quality.

But the classic show (which I love) did need a content refresh (Vacation Hoedown—which I also love—was 38 years ago). IF the new show is good, this two-birds-with-one-stone solution will be a win-win for everyone. I’m trying to stay optimistic.

ToTBellHop

What I want to know is: will they finally fix the bears who look like Big Thunder isn’t the only line they did before the show?
1716981663297.jpeg

1716981708070.jpeg

Cmdr_Crimson

What I want to know is: will they finally fix the bears who look like Big Thunder isn’t the only line they did before the show?
View attachment 788126
View attachment 788127
Yeah, and see if they add the new hairstyle and Name change to Romeo (LiverLips) Mcgrowl...
Screenshot-2023-09-09-at-1.49.53-PM.png

I'm sure everyone will still call him Liver Lips..It's like us Chicagoians still calling Willis Tower The Sears tower no matter what it was called.😆

Mireille

Premium Member
I liked the original Country Bears a lot but when they announced they were updating them instead of shutting them down as they did in DLR, I was pretty happy. Country versions of Disney songs aren't the greatest, but I don't understand people getting mad about hearing Disney songs in Disney World. Seems weird. I'm just upset they didn't change the country bears to rapping bears from the 80s.

"My name's Big Al and I'm here to say
There was blood on the saddle in a major way!
Now wave your hands in the air!
And wave 'em like you're just a bear!
Everybody say heeeeyyy! (Heeeeyyyy!)
Everybody say hooooo! (Hoooo!)
There was blood on the saddle, there was blood all around
There was a great big puddle of blood on the ground!
(Beatboxing fade out)"

Now it's not that, so can we stop catastrophizing before anyone has seen it?

ToTBellHop

I liked the original Country Bears a lot but when they announced they were updating them instead of shutting them down as they did in DLR, I was pretty happy. Country versions of Disney songs aren't the greatest, but I don't understand people getting mad about hearing Disney songs in Disney World. Seems weird. I'm just upset they didn't change the country bears to rapping bears from the 80s.

"My name's Big Al and I'm here to say
There was blood on the saddle in a major way!
Now wave your hands in the air!
And wave 'em like you're just a bear!
Everybody say heeeeyyy! (Heeeeyyyy!)
Everybody say hooooo! (Hoooo!)
There was blood on the saddle, there was blood all around
There was a great big puddle of blood on the ground!
(Beatboxing fade out)"

Now it's not that, so can we stop catastrophizing before anyone has seen it?
Would you care if the Pirates of the Caribbean were singing “We Don’t Talk about Bruno” while burning the town?

Haunted Mansion singing busts giving their best rendition of “Into the Unknown”?

They already have a show in MK that (appropriately) features Disney’s greatest hits in Mickey’s PhilharMagic.

Mireille

Premium Member
Would you care if the Pirates of the Caribbean were singing “We Don’t Talk about Bruno” while burning the town?

Haunted Mansion singing busts giving their best rendition of “Into the Unknown”?

They already have a show in MK that (appropriately) features Disney’s greatest hits in Mickey’s PhilharMagic.
I mean... fair point. But Pirates already sorta did it by adding Captain Jack, which I was not a fan of but it's whatever, I'm used to it now. And Country Bears is a musical variety show and they needed to, at the very least, re-record the soundtrack because it sounded old and bad. I liked Bear Band Serenade and Blood on the Saddle and aside from those I really don't have strong feelings about the rest of them. (I never got to see Vacation Hoedown but I have CDs with those songs on them and I loved Great Outdoors.) I dunno, I'm just happy they're not disappearing so I'm less concerned about the songs. And it doesn't seem outrageous to update the songs in a variety show that had been running for 50 years with minimal changes other than being shortened. I guess I'm looking at it from the point of view that I'm just happy it wasn't closed so I'm actually excited to see them in a new show.

ToTBellHop

I mean... fair point. But Pirates already sorta did it by adding Captain Jack, which I was not a fan of but it's whatever, I'm used to it now. And Country Bears is a musical variety show and they needed to, at the very least, re-record the soundtrack because it sounded old and bad. I liked Bear Band Serenade and Blood on the Saddle and aside from those I really don't have strong feelings about the rest of them. (I never got to see Vacation Hoedown but I have CDs with those songs on them and I loved Great Outdoors.) I dunno, I'm just happy they're not disappearing so I'm less concerned about the songs. And it doesn't seem outrageous to update the songs in a variety show that had been running for 50 years with minimal changes other than being shortened. I guess I'm looking at it from the point of view that I'm just happy it wasn't closed so I'm actually excited to see them in a new show.
Oh, I agree that we are lucky the bears are saved. I’m just a bit let-down if these song choices are accurate but maybe it’ll work. I similarly do not have a strong connection to the old songs. An update was necessary but I’m not yet convinced this is the right update.

Mireille

Premium Member
Oh, I agree that we are lucky the bears are saved. I’m just a bit let-down if these song choices are accurate but maybe it’ll work. I similarly do not have a strong connection to the old songs. An update was necessary but I’m not yet convinced this is the right update.
Part of my optimism might be that I haven't paid particularly close attention to any announced songs so I'm not really sure what they'll be using and the one that's been making the rounds in the comments "Try Everything," I'm sure I've heard it but I have no idea what this song is or which movie it's in.

I just googled it and saw it's the Shakira song in Zootopia. Can't remember what it sounds like and I'll just wait to hear it in the show.

Comped

If this happened 30 years ago, it would have been jazz bears as the new overhaul. And it almost certainly would have being better because Disney has a robust history of jazz versions of its hits, thanks particularly to having a robust history of live jazz in the parks for decades. Country music not so much.

Rich T

If this happened 30 years ago, it would have been jazz bears as the new overhaul. And it almost certainly would have being better because Disney has a robust history of jazz versions of its hits, thanks particularly to having a robust history of live jazz in the parks for decades. Country music not so much.
Fun idea but…no. “Country Bears” is the act. It’s the whole idea. It’s about country… bears.😃

And country/bluegrass music in Frontierland has been a robust part of Disney castle parks since 1955.

Jazz in Frontierland…. Well, as long as it’s in a Dixieland style, yes because of the riverboats. But not for this show. Big Al wouldn’t be caught dead playing jazz. 😃

Rich T

I just hope there’s a moment in this show as wonderful as the bit in Vacation Hoedown during “California Bears” where Max, Buff and Melvin sang the “ooh-waaa, ooh-waaa, ooh-waa” backing vocals during the verses. 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom