News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

Sneakman

Yep! It caused enough of a stink for (Chapek's) Disney to respond to it and claim it wasn't true, and led to bad blood between Disney and the news site that broke the story. Of course, lots of people assumed Disney would never lie, and assumed the story was fake- some still do. But lots of others have stepped forwards and backed up the news site, and personally, I also say that it was true- just an idea being pitched, like I said, nothing solid but still an idea that was gaining traction. In the case of Moana Tiki Room, we even have actual concept art. Now that there's new management at Disney, they extended an olive branch to that news site in hopes of having a better working relationship- something which people have of course assumed is bad. Either people think you're a negative cynic or you're a sellout, lol.
Wow. I Wasn’t sure if that was all real. But crazy thought. It all worked out in the end. Moana is getting the attraction it deserves, the country bears got a redo with love put into it, and Toy Story didn’t expand. Man, with that bad blood, chapek really was stupid.

The Chatbox Ghost

The Toy Story show at Toy Story land would have been great.

Also… I though that was going into the horseshoe not grizzly hall!?
Toy Story Land NEEDS more attractions. There's that rumor that Beyond Big Thunder is an expansion to Frontierland featuring TSL's scrapped Woody's Round Up attraction (which wouldn't make sense with the CBJ just across the river) and I really hope it's not true. Toy Story has its own dedicated land, anything new related to it should go there since it's empty enough as it is. Could use some shade while we're at it.

Sneakman

The Toy Story show at Toy Story land would have been great.

Also… I though that was going into the horseshoe not grizzly hall!?
Even if it was the best new show in years, I’ll be damned if I’d accept it happening. We’ve lost so much wdw originals over the years, they better let us at least have bears and hopefully figment. I mean dinosaur, alien encounter, great movie ride,

The Chatbox Ghost

Wow. I Wasn’t sure if that was all real. But crazy thought. It all worked out in the end. Moana is getting the attraction it deserves, the country bears got a redo with love put into it, and Toy Story didn’t expand. Man, with that bad blood, chapek really was stupid.
You can say that again! The current Bob isn't too great either, but at least he's not as bad...

Sneakman

Probably the only post-Walt attraction to have this status, which is incredible when you think about it!
bears deserve it so much, but i do think one other things officially has that status too: the character of figment existing in imagination. Legitimately, with all the merchandise and hype around him, and how ingrained his character has become in the park’s lore, I feel like Figment is on that eschelon where he has become a part of that parks identity.

The Chatbox Ghost

bears deserve it so much, but i do think one other things officially has that status too: the character of figment existing in imagination. Legitimately, with all the merchandise and hype around him, and how ingrained his character has become in the park’s lore, I feel like Figment is on that eschelon where he has become a part of that parks identity.
True! Fingers crossed that at D23 we'll finally hear the words we've all been waiting for- "We're redoing Journey into Imagination and bringing back the Dreamfinder!"

mightynine

I would also gently note this seems to be a specifically Disney issue: no-one gives Universal a hard time about being all-IP, all the time.

My personal opinion on that is Uni has always been about IP so there’s a different expectation there, whereas the Disney parks (initially) had the familiarity of IP as a draw for the other experiences in the parks.

Sir_Cliff

My personal opinion on that is Uni has always been about IP so there’s a different expectation there, whereas the Disney parks (initially) had the familiarity of IP as a draw for the other experiences in the parks.
The reason I mentioned that is that there was a reference to theme park purists rather than specifically Disney theme park purists, and I do see very different expectations for Disney versus their rivals. It seems people will complain about the IP invasion of Disney at the same time as suggesting an all-IP park like Epic Universe is showing Disney how it should be done.

Last edited:

celluloid

The reason I mentioned that is that there was a reference to theme park purists rather than specifically Disney theme park purists, and I do see very different expectations for Disney versus their rivals. It seems people will complain about the IP invasion of Disney at the same time as suggestion an all-IP park like Epic Universe is showing Disney how it should be done.

Not true. Dark Universe of course timeless monster inspired, but not in the art direction of the classics. It is park specific.

Almost how Pirates of the Cairbbean/Jungle Cruise/Haunted Mansion was not really Treasure Island/African Queen/House on Haunted HIll but certainly inspired by.

Celestial Gardens also throws that entirely out the window. It may not be as rich but it is its own environment.

Also event wise HHN has more than half of its experience not tied into outside Intellectual Property. Some of the In-house typically end up being the most popular or near it as time goes on.

Other special events have had in house environments made for them.

Volcano Bay is a waterpark, but it is a completely original backstory. I don't think Disney would do Blizard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon the same way again, nor have they since.

Universal was the last major FL theme park to build original theme park lands in 1999, IOA had two original lands (and 2017 if you count Volcano Bay) and will be the next to do it with Epic Universe. Disney has actually taken some of their original lands and are changing them to IP layovers or have already.

Last edited:

easyrowrdw

Something current execs at Disney don't seem to realize- Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion didn't become popular (and more importantly to them, profitable) because they were based off a movie people knew. They were unique experiences only found in the parks (before the movie adaptations) and their fandoms grew from that. They're iconic BECAUSE they're original, not in spite of it. Disney is too afraid to take changes and waste precious money on something that could gasp potentially not sell a million princess dresses.
I remember returning from my first Disney visit as a kid and my favorite thing was Figment. I knew nothing of it beforehand and never saw it outside the parks. But it was by far my favorite Disney thing and I told everyone about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom