News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

celluloid

But, see, he REMINDS people of a joke. That’s even better then an ACTUAL joke!

That is a common symptom of Disney.

Disney is now themed to the Disney they were.

Star Tours did this very thing when it opened. The queue and entire gag is prequel jokes about what will happen when it is the Starspeeder 3,000 and using Rex.

But no longer is their access to that thing, so it pleases no one.

Animaniac93-98

It wild that they killed the entire charm of Sammy. His existence now is rather pointless. He was a sight gag of a Racoon-skinned cap.

But, see, he REMINDS people of a joke. That’s even better then an ACTUAL joke!

I said the same thing in my long winded rant a couple pages back 😅

But what's interesting is that for Vacation Jamboree, he became a [tapdancing] skunk. They changed the character and gag to fit the new show. I thought for "You Got a Friend in Me", they'd find a way to rework the hiding in the hat bit so that the song would take on a humorous, literal meaning.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
So how long are we betting the smoke effects last before never coming back?
Screenshot 2024-07-10 212907.png

The Chatbox Ghost

I hate to say it, but is the reference to the Davy Crockett raccoon skin hat craze as recognisable as it once was?
I'd say no. I'm young myself (late 20s) and I associated the raccoon skin hat with the wild west rather than Davy Crockett growing up (which you could argue doesn't make a difference), but I'd imagine that most kids growing up today have likely never seen one due to the declining popularity of cowboy/westerns.

And on the note of Sammy: I get the disappointment with him "not being a hat", but at least in the canon of the CBJ, he's a real raccoon, not a living hat (see: all of the queue art in DL/Tokyo, all of the Tokyo merch, and even new photos in the new WDW queue). And if we're supposed to believe these characters are real performers with different routines, it would make sense for Sammy to occasionally not be on Henry's head. If anything, I feel like him being a hat would still not make sense to people, since the Davy Crockett connection isn't there with a Toy Story song, so having him be a little surprise character is fine. It's cute. The new show has bigger issues than Sammy.

Last edited:

Sneakman

I wonder if a certain theme park YouTuber will like this show? And if I’m completely honest, sometimes I wish for their rumors of the Moana tiki room and Toy Story animatronic show to be proven true with out a shadow of a doubt plainly for the absolute chaos it would cause. Same with light year mountain. Would be very funny.

The Chatbox Ghost

I wonder if a certain theme park YouTuber will like this show?
If you're referring to who I'm thinking of, then he actually tweeted out not too long ago that he was really surprised with how much he likes it (and I can confirm he's being honest with his review). Of course, I could just be taking a shot in the dark- but in either case, most theme park YouTubers I watch have seemed to like it (DSNY Newscast, Offhand Disney, Disney Dan, to name a few). Interested to see if some of the more cynical ones like MickeyViews or Poseidon Entertainment (who I really enjoy, don't get me wrong- great to see someone calling out bad things about theme parks) like it or not.

SplashJacket

More just musing than anything, but I am curious the extent to which the spread of IP to attractions like Country Bears reflects changing tastes versus a lack of imagination from Disney itself.

The existing show probably needed some kind of revamp, but I am curious whether the kinds of ideas being floated by critics of this refurbishment (more or less restore the original, use newer non-Disney country songs, or use more obscure Disney songs) would have actually been more popular with guests than what they went with. I know this is a counter factual, but the divide between theme park purists and average guests and where the line blurs is something that interests me. Particularly so since my experience watching Great Moments with Mr Lincoln with a friend who commented afterward that she thought there would be something more "Disney" in the show!

It's easy to scoff at that sort of reaction as "why Disney gets away with it", but if "getting away with it" is catering to the vast majority of their guests then the equation sort of changes.
If it’s worth anything, I brought some friends to the parks for their first time, and I thought they would really like the bears but they absolutely hated it. They thought it was stupid.

They also loved Hall of Presidents, and said it was much better than American Adventure.

The Chatbox Ghost

I wonder if a certain theme park YouTuber will like this show? And if I’m completely honest, sometimes I wish for their rumors of the Moana tiki room and Toy Story animatronic show to be proven true with out a shadow of a doubt plainly for the absolute chaos it would cause. Same with light year mountain. Would be very funny.
I had replied to this with the names of a few YouTubers but it got flagged, whoops lol. Must've been one of the few cynical ones I mentioned. But I've seen a generally positive response to this from a lot of YouTubers, even the more cynical ones.

In terms of the Moana Tiki Room- that one was confirmed real via an Imagineer's portfolio site, but whether or not it got far in the development stage is unknown. Toy Story was also real according to a number of sources outside of the one that initially reported it, but again, how far along it was is not known, as it was moved around from Frontierland to Toy Story Land to the trashbin. But luckily we found out about it early enough that we could save the bears!

Sneakman

In terms of the Moana Tiki Room- that one was confirmed real via an Imagineer's portfolio site, but whether or not it got far in the development stage is unknown.
Yeah I saw that. Would’ve been dumb imo. Glad they put the kabosh on that
Toy Story was also real, but again, how far along it was is not known, as it was moved around from Frontierland to Toy Story Land to the trashbin. But luckily we found out about it early enough that we could save the bears!
Wait, save the bears actually had an effect on the parks? REALLY?

Sneakman

Honestly - American Adventure, Hall of Presidents, and Great Moments are all 3 masterpieces and extremely well done, and moving. It would be hard for me to pick one as my favorite.
I genuinely think American Adventure is on the level of Mansion and Pirates. Hall and Lincoln are really good, but American Adventure is ART. every time I watch that show, I’m reminded of the promises of America and all that.

The Chatbox Ghost

Yeah I saw that. Would’ve been dumb imo. Glad they put the kabosh on that

Wait, save the bears actually had an effect on the parks? REALLY?
Yep! It caused enough of a stink for (Chapek's) Disney to respond to it and claim it wasn't true, and led to bad blood between Disney and the news site that broke the story. Of course, lots of people assumed Disney would never lie, and assumed the story was fake- some still do. But lots of others have stepped forwards and backed up the news site, and personally, I also say that it was true- just an idea being pitched, like I said, nothing solid but still an idea that was gaining traction. In the case of Moana Tiki Room, we even have actual concept art. Now that there's new management at Disney, they extended an olive branch to that news site in hopes of having a better working relationship- something which people have of course assumed is bad. Either people think you're a negative cynic or you're a sellout, lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom