News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

lazyboy97o

Dare I say those who do have nostalgia might want to be thankful Disney found a way to maybe, hopefully keep the bears for decade(s) to come?
This sort of framing always seems weird to me. They’re robots. That there are robots in a certain form isn’t at the heart of the experience. A major problem with the creative direction of the parks is that they overly self referential.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I have been visiting since the late 80's. I like the new show. Maybe I am just so thankful we still have the country bears and not another Moana attraction or another lounge for some special group.
Agreed. If it was between losing the shooting gallery or the bears for a lounge, then I'm glad the current version exists.

xipetotec

Wow. I *hate* this. I was sad to hear they were changing it. But coming with somewhat of an open mind. They've completely killed the soul of the show. No more humor. And just another ad for other Disney IPs and really awkward shoehorning in of songs that don't belong there.

Wow... bummer. This was a show we actually hit more than once during a vacation.... And I'm sure we'll check it out at least ONCE to say we saw it in person... but I think we'll be skipping it after that...

JohnD

Wow. I *hate* this. I was sad to hear they were changing it. But coming with somewhat of an open mind. They've completely killed the soul of the show. No more humor. And just another ad for other Disney IPs and really awkward shoehorning in of songs that don't belong there.

Wow... bummer. This was a show we actually hit more than once during a vacation.... And I'm sure we'll check it out at least ONCE to say we saw it in person... but I think we'll be skipping it after that...
I hate to see the old show go. We all do. But I didn't see the new show the way you do. I laughed throughout. Sure, I miss Bear Band Serenade which I think could have been retained but overall I thought it was a good show.

WondersOfLife

Not true. Dark Universe of course timeless monster inspired, but not in the art direction of the classics. It is park specific.
IP based with familiar characters. They're Universal Classic Monsters... It is a huge part of Universal's film history. So yes, they are another IP driven location.
Almost how Pirates of the Cairbbean/Jungle Cruise/Haunted Mansion was not really Treasure Island/African Queen/House on Haunted HIll but certainly inspired by.
I disagree. All original characters not based directly on any existing films... Everything is inspired by "something." But they aren't IPs.
Celestial Gardens also throws that entirely out the window. It may not be as rich but it is its own environment.
I agree with this one. Granted, it's mostly just a main hub. Like the opening of Islands of Adventure, but with some rides and more grand. It's not one of those "ports" though.
Also event wise HHN has more than half of its experience not tied into outside Intellectual Property. Some of the In-house typically end up being the most popular or near it as time goes on.
Touche.
Other special events have had in house environments made for them.
Eh. Special events are kind of a moot point though, in the grand scheme of theme parks. That's of course, just my opinion, though.
Volcano Bay is a waterpark, but it is a completely original backstory. I don't think Disney would do Blizard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon the same way again, nor have they since.
Agreed.
Universal was the last major FL theme park to build original theme park lands in 1999, IOA had two original lands (and 2017 if you count Volcano Bay) and will be the next to do it with Epic Universe. Disney has actually taken some of their original lands and are changing them to IP layovers or have already.
I don't really count Volcano Bay... A water park is a water park. I actually hate that they label it a theme park. Themed or not. Disney doesn't even do that with theirs.

I am also still not considering the hub a "land." If it had its own little port of entry and was designated one of the themed destinations, then I could say 'yeah.' Much like how you can consider The Lost Continent a land at Islands of Adventure...

...For instance, I also don't consider Main Street USA at MK a main 'land.' Even though it technically has some attractions, shows, and entertainment. Same goes for The Oasis at Animal Kingdom.

celluloid

I am also still not considering the hub a "land." If it had its own little port of entry and was designated one of the themed destinations, then I could say 'yeah.' Much like how you can consider The Lost Continent a land at Islands of Adventure...

...For instance, I also don't consider Main Street USA at MK a main 'land.' Even though it technically has some attractions, shows, and entertainment. Same goes for The Oasis at Animal Kingdom.

That is an odd semantic qualifier.

Why would Main Street or Celestial Gardens not be considered a land when Liberty Square is?
They serve a different purpose in a hub park.

It's a themed environment people experience in the park.

Celestial Gardens is going to have more to do in it than Liberty Square or Main Street USA in terms of attraction operation.
It may not be everyone's type of environment, but it's a land within the park.

montyz81

This speaks to the current state of Disney Imagineers. They have no original thoughts anymore. The thing that made Disney great was there ability to create new experiences and bring them to life with original story telling. They just keep going back to the well now. This show is an example of it. Stop using IP and create something new and refreshing

WondersOfLife

I hate to see the old show go. We all do. But I didn't see the new show the way you do. I laughed throughout. Sure, I miss Bear Band Serenade which I think could have been retained but overall I thought it was a good show.
I actually could see the side that says the new version is lacking some humor compared to the OG.

They also combined 4 acts into 2 which also leaves us without a couple of potential humorous moments. Plus an additional Bear Band scene cut as well. So... The show being much shorter than the already cut version before it might be a bad factor at play, too.

While your sense of humor had to be specific for the OG show for some of these moments, they were still more humorous than the current versions. We lost the "Don't Whoop Little Buford" funny gag/song with Wendell. (I wouldn't consider his duet all that humorous now except that he looks goofy.) We lost Trixie's humorous gag, which was quite literally her.. Ahem. Size. She was the definition of a caricature. Of course, now it's an "inspirational" song that combines the sun bonnets, which had us lose the whole "Every guy that turns me on turns me down" gags. We even lose a small visual gag where the raccoon pops out of Henry's hat. I would also dare say that Big Al's scene is a bit less funny. The only thing that's funny about it is people know the song he is playing. But his guitar seems to be a bit too in-tune for my liking. I will say, I do like Ernest's little smoking violin gag. Wish he sang, though. Liverlips' song was funny in and of itself, plus his looks. Now it's only his looks that is humorous.

.........I do still like the new show, though. :) Just a bit too short.

WondersOfLife

That is an odd semantic qualifier.
I disagree.
Why would Main Street or Celestial Gardens not be considered a land when Liberty Square is?
Because Liberty Square is a land located outside of the entrance of the park on TOP of having attractions with stories and characters and history and lore.
It's a themed environment people experience in the park.
Of course. I didn't say it wasn't.
Celestial Gardens is going to have more to do in it than Liberty Square or Main Street USA in terms of attraction operation.
I didn't say it wouldn't.
It may not be everyone's type of environment, but it's a land within the park.
I don't consider it one of the main lands.

celluloid

I disagree.

Because Liberty Square is a land located outside of the entrance of the park on TOP of having attractions with stories and characters and history and lore.

Of course. I didn't say it wasn't.

I didn't say it wouldn't.

I don't consider it one of the main lands.

Not a main land now. OK.

It's not an outside IP driven theme park land though. Ha.That was the point anyway.
Disney would not do that these days.

As evident by them taking originals and putting outside movie studios IP in.

Last edited:

brettf22

Premium Member
This speaks to the current state of Disney Imagineers. They have no original thoughts anymore.
While it’s valid to question some of the recent Imagineering choices, I’m not sure the Imagineers, per se, were the driving force behind these changes. I’m quite confident they were given a mandate to remove the existing songs, use only Disney IP songs to replace them, and make sure the new show’s humor would be as benign and inoffensive as possible.

Even though I’m not a fan of the changes, in this instance, they did the best with the constraints they were given, IMO.

Sneaky

Totally agree. Imagineers only implemented what stakeholders wanted here.
As I posted before, I like this, and its totally better than losing the country bears altogether.
True. They did their best, and I liked it. I wonder if this is gonna be here for the next 10-20 years tho, or if another show comes in eventually.

Disstevefan1

True. They did their best, and I liked it. I wonder if this is gonna be here for the next 10-20 years tho, or if another show comes in eventually.
Interesting question. I wonder if they did any upgrades such that they can be more agile and can change story and songs?

I really hope there would be a version for Christmastime.

Sneaky

Interesting question. I wonder if they did any upgrades such that they can be more agile and can change story and songs?

I really hope there would be a version for Christmastime.
They already have one they ran for a while. I’d be down. Maybe they can do a Halloween show, or bring back vacation hoedown as well

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom