News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

The Chatbox Ghost

The difference there is, the lyrics and stories the songs told were funny novelties themselves. No songs of the original were anything but humor with the most serious being the slower ones and context and riffs from other characters made them funny. And made sense to the context. They were singing novelty country songs. Now it is like putting a twang filter on songs. It makes the characters more two dimensional rather than meta putting on a show.

Oddly, for those that thought anything in the old show was offensive, should bother them the same way.
Fair enough! While I think the original show is still the best, I'm really pleased with how this came out. It still feels like the bears, even if it's not as weird. The songs all fit the characters that are performing them (though I'm not a fan of Try Everything), and the best part- the bears are all now modern animatronics, meaning they'll last for a long time, and since they're now electric (or electric hybrid) they're going to be a lot easier to program, which means new shows rotating could be a thing.

Sneakman

Fair enough! While I think the original show is still the best, I'm really pleased with how this came out. It still feels like the bears, even if it's not as weird. The songs all fit the characters that are performing them (though I'm not a fan of Try Everything), and the best part- the bears are all now modern animatronics, meaning they'll last for a long time, and since they're now electric (or electric hybrid) they're going to be a lot easier to program, which means new shows rotating could be a thing.
Id be down for Halloween country bears.

Animaniac93-98

I was always skeptical of "Zip-A-Dee Doo Dah" being used, despite the sources.

I'm sure it was considered at some point, but you don't decide a song is so reprehensible that it can no longer be used in any context, anywhere and then say "well maybe if the Country Bears sang it..."

Disney already dug in their heels on that one. There's no going back unless there's a change in mindset at the top.

The Chatbox Ghost

Id be down for Halloween country bears.
In a perfect world, we'd have seasons of the CBJ, each lasting roughly 3 months:

November-January: Country Bear Christmas Special
February-April: Country Bear Musical Jamboree
May-July: Country Bear Vacation Hoedown
August-October: Country Bear Jamboree (so that the original show always occurs on its anniversary)

I believe Tokyo was able to swap over their CBJ to Vacation Hoedown in a week or less, so I'd imagine MK could too, now that all the new infrastructure for CBMJ is installed.

Casper Gutman

For me, this speaks as yet another example of this era of Disney lacking the imagination, creativity, and originality that once made the company famous. It’s too safe. The one original song is about as vanilla as it gets.

Despite the new renditions (a few being quite good), I am personally bored of hearing the same portfolio songs over and over.

I get that comedy is hard in 2024. Disney is barely even trying anymore.

The continued dumbing down of attractions may work in the short term, as they do still entertain. But I doubt they will capture the imagination of a new generation the way most of the pre-Iger entries did.
Yup. These aren't characters anymore, with personalities and relationships and individualized humor. They aren't Big Al and Trixie and Zeke and Zed and Ted and Fred, they're just empty vessels for Disney's overworked back catalog. Kids who watch this aren't going to get attached to the characters the way some of us did.

The female bears really got it the worst - Trixie and Teddi are just... there. No humor, no personality, no point at all.

Sir_Cliff

More just musing than anything, but I am curious the extent to which the spread of IP to attractions like Country Bears reflects changing tastes versus a lack of imagination from Disney itself.

The existing show probably needed some kind of revamp, but I am curious whether the kinds of ideas being floated by critics of this refurbishment (more or less restore the original, use newer non-Disney country songs, or use more obscure Disney songs) would have actually been more popular with guests than what they went with. I know this is a counter factual, but the divide between theme park purists and average guests and where the line blurs is something that interests me. Particularly so since my experience watching Great Moments with Mr Lincoln with a friend who commented afterward that she thought there would be something more "Disney" in the show!

It's easy to scoff at that sort of reaction as "why Disney gets away with it", but if "getting away with it" is catering to the vast majority of their guests then the equation sort of changes.

Animaniac93-98

Well now that the Country Bear Jamboree in Frontierland has nothing to do with country music or the frontier (beyond its recycled infrastructure) I think we can conclusively say the theme of Disney theme parks is "Disney"...whatever that means.

The growing trend in Disney theme parks isn't just IP, it's self-reference. Whatever already exists is "Disney" and that's what the parks need more of, whether it's pulled from movies, TV shows or older attractions. The Hatbox Ghost is a perfect example because he's now both a deep fan cut reference AND a movie character. There's a direct link from the fandom to WDI because the audience and designers are the same Millennial Disney Adults creating a shared feedback loop fueled by genuine passion for the brand and a management team eager to exploit that, and risk adverse to substantive original thinking.

So now we have a Country Bear show that's full of references to the attraction's history and Disney movie history, but short on anything of relevance to the actual idea. Some of the creative choices also only make sense if you have knowledge of the original show. Sammy was there because the gag was "coonskin cap is still attached to the !". Now Sammy is there only because he's always been there, not because there's a situation in the show that necessitates or justifies his inclusion. This new Jamboree is the kind of fanboy fever dream that could only exist today. WED certainly never would have taken this approach, and I doubt the 2nd generation of Imagineers would have either. They had their own Country Bear shows that had other songs and takes on the characters, but they were not a celebration of Disney.

This is the Country Bears for the spirit jersey and loungefly crowd. Obviously, they're eating it up like Food and Wine apps. @Casper Gutman I would say if Under New Management were made today, people would love it. Much like they do the Stitch Tiki Room. We're a generation removed from UNM's debut and the audience who goes to the park now has a totally different reference and expectation going in. They expect "Disney", which they interpret to be movies (or more specifically, the movies from the past 35 years). Anything that doesn't have that, isn't celebrated explicitly through the company's official history (like CoP or Tiki) or isn't tied to a new product, is old, boring and needs to go.

Yes, it's nice to have the Bears in decent shape, but I was hoping for at least more country music for the country bears. Or anything else that would have carried on the legacy of a true Disney original beyond callbacks and new costumes.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

In a perfect world, we'd have seasons of the CBJ, each lasting roughly 3 months:

November-January: Country Bear Christmas Special
February-April: Country Bear Musical Jamboree
May-July: Country Bear Vacation Hoedown
August-October: Country Bear Jamboree (so that the original show always occurs on its anniversary)

I believe Tokyo was able to swap over their CBJ to Vacation Hoedown in a week or less, so I'd imagine MK could too, now that all the new infrastructure for CBMJ is installed.

The best thing that could come from this refurb is a commitment to rotating through the shows.

At the very least, bring back the Xmas one.

Animaniac93-98

Particularly so since my experience watching Great Moments with Mr Lincoln with a friend who commented afterward that she thought there would be something more "Disney" in the show!

Fascinating that a passion project from Walt himself, promoted by him on TV, would be considered not very "Disney" today

The current generation of visitors clearly have a very different perspective of what "Disney" is

TrainsOfDisney

I know this is a counter factual, but the divide between theme park purists and average guests and where the line blurs is something that interests me.
I think there are more them park / Disney Parks fans that many on this board and in Disney management realize - with many “average guests” knowing more about the history than in the past thanks to YouTube videos, Disney influencers, etc.

I’d also say having a mix of non-Disney attractions helps convert average guests to Disney park fans.

But I’m with you - it’s interesting to gauge where other people land.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
More just musing than anything, but I am curious the extent to which the spread of IP to attractions like Country Bears reflects changing tastes versus a lack of imagination from Disney itself.

The existing show probably needed some kind of revamp, but I am curious whether the kinds of ideas being floated by critics of this refurbishment (more or less restore the original, use newer non-Disney country songs, or use more obscure Disney songs) would have actually been more popular with guests than what they went with. I know this is a counter factual, but the divide between theme park purists and average guests and where the line blurs is something that interests me. Particularly so since my experience watching Great Moments with Mr Lincoln with a friend who commented afterward that she thought there would be something more "Disney" in the show!

It's easy to scoff at that sort of reaction as "why Disney gets away with it", but if "getting away with it" is catering to the vast majority of their guests then the equation sort of changes.
A point of view that park forum members refuse to look at from that angle.

I used to be just as bad. I "gave up." So to speak. By around Guardians. 🤷

V_L_Raptor

Just watched the video, and I have to say… I don’t hate this.

This looks to me like a bit of (maybe not quite) malicious compliance alongside some delightful subversion to keep a beloved attraction alive through the IP mandate.

Perfect? No. Up to the needs and constraints placed on it to toe the IP-jamming line? Yes.

I’ll take it.

Moth

Well now that the Country Bear Jamboree in Frontierland has nothing to do with country music or the frontier (beyond its recycled infrastructure) I think we can conclusively say the theme of Disney theme parks is "Disney"...whatever that means.

The growing trend in Disney theme parks isn't just IP, it's self-reference. Whatever already exists is "Disney" and that's what the parks need more of, whether it's pulled from movies, TV shows or older attractions. The Hatbox Ghost is a perfect example because he's now both a deep fan cut reference AND a movie character. There's a direct link from the fandom to WDI because the audience and designers are the same Millennial Disney Adults creating a shared feedback loop fueled by genuine passion for the brand and a management team eager to exploit that, and risk adverse to substantive creative thinking.

So now we have a Country Bear show that's full of references to the attraction's history and Disney movie history, but short on anything of relevance to the actual idea. Some of the creative choices also only make sense if you have knowledge of the original show. Sammy was there because the gag was "coonskin cap is still attached to the !". Now Sammy is there only because he's always been there, not because there's a situation in the show that necessitates or justifies his inclusion. This new Jamboree is the kind of fanboy fever dream that could only exist today. WED certainly never would have taken this approach, and I doubt the 2nd generation of Imagineers would have either. They had their own Country Bear shows that had other songs and takes on the characters, but they were not a celebration of Disney.

This is the Country Bears for the spirit jersey and loungefly crowd. Obviously, they're eating it up like Food and Wine apps. @Casper Gutman I would say if Under New Management were made today, people would love it. Much like they do the Stitch Tiki Room. We're a generation removed from UNM's debut and the audience who goes to the park now has a totally different reference and expectation going in. They expect "Disney", which they interpret to be movies (or more specifically, the movies from the past 35 years). Anything that doesn't have that, isn't celebrated explicitly through the company's official history (like CoP or Tiki) or isn't tied to a new product, is old, boring and needs to go.

Yes, it's nice to have the Bears in decent shape, but I was hoping for at least more country music for the country bears. Or anything else that would have carried on the legacy of a true Disney original beyond callbacks and new costumes.

imo I think right now we're all breathing a sigh of relief it's at least passable enough and the bears bought themselves another decade.

But I do think there's a distinction between them singing the songs and barely drawing attention to the fact that they're from the movies versus having characters outside the attraction's world show up, which is what Under New Management did.

Musical Jamboree is being taken softly because there's not a heavy emphasis on them going "look yall! we're singing a song from frozen, say, buy those Olaf dolls! there's more than enough!", and it just feels more organic, I guess? This just feels like another show the bears would put on, but I feel the blow of having the bears strictly sing IP songs would be softened if they announced they'd be doing seasonal shows as well. Maybe for D23?

I feel Musical Jamboree's main drawback is the restriction to use IP songs, which is likely not the fault on Imagineering, but from someone higher in the totem pole. Because you can tell that despite the IP songs they put a heck of a lot of effort and love into the show, each bear re-done, a gorgeous queue, retaining the CB quirks and spark from the original show, but the issue is the song choice at the end of the day.

Which sucks because Big Al should sing Old Town Road.

Sneakman

I know I’m a theme park fan, and a user of this forum, so kinda a hyperized version of one at that, and I get all the complaints about Disney ip, and all that, and what the guests truly want, and I do think we need to accept times are changing but…..
I dunno man, I like the silly singing bears, and how they kept up the history and overall vibe of the bears. I don’t think it was “tarnished”, just changed, but not so much it’s not the bears at all. Yeah it’s different, but as much as I hate to pull that card, so is the parks over the years. I want the kids of today to be able to enjoy the country bears. And if this brings in more younger people to love them, I’m down! Also the silly bears still make me laugh, so I’m easy to please I guess? I

Casper Gutman

Fascinating that a passion project from Walt himself, promoted by him on TV, would be considered not very "Disney" today

The current generation of visitors clearly have a very different perspective of what "Disney" is
To a very considerable extent, Disney defines its own brand. The “”Disney” brand that built the parks combined technological optimism, corporate boosterism, American exceptionalism, safe childhood development, and a lot of other mid-century ideas (some of which wouldn’t fly today). Disney himself, tied inextricably to the brand, was a complex figure who stretched far beyond the trope of “movie mogul” to embody a web of ideas about America and its place in the world.

Modern Disney is run by undifferentiated executives - not theme park folks, not visionaries, not really even movie moguls. They see Disney as a standard movie studio, no different from WB or Columbia, with some extra bits hanging off. So that’s the extremely limited and limiting vision of the brand they project. Instead of multiple pipelines - parks, film, TV, merch, etc - feeding IP into the silo, you get one pipeline, film, having to stock every other outlet. And if that one pipe dries up…

If all “Disney” ever gives park guests is Frozen and Coco and a few other films, the guests learns that’s all Disney is. The park shapes the guests. Walt knew that.

Casper Gutman

imo I think right now we're all breathing a sigh of relief it's at least passable enough and the bears bought themselves another decade.

But I do think there's a distinction between them singing the songs and barely drawing attention to the fact that they're from the movies versus having characters outside the attraction's world show up, which is what Under New Management did.

Musical Jamboree is being taken softly because there's not a heavy emphasis on them going "look yall! we're singing a song from frozen, say, buy those Olaf dolls! there's more than enough!", and it just feels more organic, I guess? This just feels like another show the bears would put on, but I feel the blow of having the bears strictly sing IP songs would be softened if they announced they'd be doing seasonal shows as well. Maybe for D23?

I feel Musical Jamboree's main drawback is the restriction to use IP songs, which is likely not the fault on Imagineering, but from someone higher in the totem pole. Because you can tell that despite the IP songs they put a heck of a lot of effort and love into the show, each bear re-done, a gorgeous queue, retaining the CB quirks and spark from the original show, but the issue is the song choice at the end of the day.

Which sucks because Big Al should sing Old Town Road.
The script is also… not great at all. “I’m afraid of swings,” has the cadence of a joke but isn’t actually a joke. Henry and Big Al are no longer jokes, they’re references to jokes from the earlier show. Outside of Super and Kiss, ALL the humor is basically just reminders of earlier humor.

Sir_Cliff

That's kind of what interests me as I was a little shocked, to put it mildly! I guess, though, most guests won't really know or necessarily care that much about that history. This is kind of a further leap down this path, but I suspect in 2024 when people say they love Disney it means something different to when people said that, say, 30 years ago when the company's resurgence was still new. Nowadays, people may be thinking more about that resurgence and everything that has come since.

I think there are more them park / Disney Parks fans that many on this board and in Disney management realize - with many “average guests” knowing more about the history than in the past thanks to YouTube videos, Disney influencers, etc.

I’d also say having a mix of non-Disney attractions helps convert average guests to Disney park fans.

But I’m with you - it’s interesting to gauge where other people land.
I would also think that variety is logically the ideal strategy for the parks. That's, again, where I'm kind of interested how many guests on an average day really fit into that fan/purist category and if it's really enough to justify running attractions to satisfy them from Disney's perspective.

I would also gently note this seems to be a specifically Disney issue: no-one gives Universal a hard time about being all-IP, all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom