News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

Consumer

Overall, much better than I expected upon the initial news. Is it better than the original show? No. Is it on par with the other two versions of the show? Again, no. But that’s ok. There’s a lot of little moments that work well, the animatronics look wonderful, the costuming is delightful. The show has managed to keep most of its soul.

ToTBellHop

I highly doubt everyone in the company is in agreement with the decision. Most people love the song. It’s gotta be a select few in higher positions that have ultimate veto power.

Given the other radically insensitive songs they still play at the parks (Following the Leader, Ballad of Davy Crockett, straight up minstrel era songs in Frontierland and some in the TBA queue loop) it’s weird that they are so hard on this song that is just about sunshines and pretty days.
I suspect it will return one day but this was deemed “too soon.”

Comped

As to the rest of the show:
  • Henry sounds off. Weird choice not to get the original voice actor to return but whatever.
  • The original song is fairly short and weak. Big Al plushie making the old sound is a nice touch though. Be Our Guest could have been placed here quite easily, although I would have had very mixed feelings about it personally.
  • Not sure why there's a song in the show that is clearly mostly popular in China, unless Disney intends on bringing this show to Shanghai at some point. It sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison to what is mostly a renaissance/Pixar Epcot-layover hits collection of music, both in terms of tone and the actual choice itself. Not a terrible piece of music, there are definitely worse in the show, but it just doesn't fit.
  • Kiss The Girl is surprisingly solid. Though there's a surprising lack of Elvis resemblance in the music itself, likely for licensing reasons, because my God is Elvis not cheap, but it's probably my favourite number in the show.
  • There is a world where Dick Van is a VA on this, and I think it's an interesting missed opportunity. As it is I don't mind the instrumental break too much. Probably in the top third of songs because it fit and wasn't that bad.
  • A Whole New World does not sound good as a country song. Sounds like something that would have gotten laughed out of the Opry frankly. Probably the weakest part of the show.
  • A song from Frozen that isn't Let It Go? I'm surprised. Probably the 2nd best song in the show (if only because I've never heard, or plan to hear, the original).
  • Let's just say that someone got a few musical cue references on point... Only for hardcore fans to be very annoyed.
  • Remember Me was... forgettable. Sadly, as Big Al is a character they could have used properly with a few different, more obscure, songs.
  • Friend in Me is only vaguely changed, so it's fine (not great), I guess. Wish they'd have chosen a different song though, because it's really overplayed.
  • Bare Necessities, meh. It fits I suppose, but they could have done more work on the vocal arrangement.
  • The biggest applause being from the one song from the old show says it all really...
C+. Not terrible, and it has its moments, but it's let down by a few choices that could have made it a B-level show for me. It'd be a B compared to recent live shows from Disney at WDW though (and even some international parks). Up your game.

It was at the end.
Oh I would have absolutely sacrificed the last remaining part of the old show in song form to have that, but I can see why it would never get past the storyboard phase. The PR issues would have been immense. Far too soon for Disney to go back on its word with that song, sadly.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

As someone who did NOT want the Bears touched at all... I will admit... I absolutely LOVE this. They took a lot of love and care putting this show together and it shows.

I still have my own critique: Some bits are WAYYY too short. The show could use an extra 20 to 30 seconds on a few musical numbers...

...Other than that, I actually just about teared up looking at how well the bears were finally moving after all these years. It looks so so so good! And I think it is PERFECT for the next generation to start having an attachment for this attraction... Where as before, it was becoming a bit lost to the new generations.

Thank you Disney for actually doing a decent job on one of your classic Animatronic shows... Can we get the same treatment for CoP now? Animatronic upgrades galore!

Brian

Thank you Disney for actually doing a decent job on one of your classic Animatronic shows... Can we get the same treatment for CoP now? Animatronic upgrades galore!
It would be nice to see them do AA updates for CoP, but I don't want WDI within a 50 foot radius of the building. Last thing we need is Uncle Orville humming 'For the First Time in Forever.'

Surferboy567

What's show next to get changes yall feel? Will the theorized Moana ride in Adventureland cause ripple affects to where Tiki Room gets some sweet loving? Will CoP get some love now that's Tron is settled in?
For legacy shows, I feel like CoP has to get it at some point.

….or something far worse happens.

trainplane3

It would be nice to see them do AA updates for CoP, but I don't want WDI within a 50 foot radius of the building. Last thing we need is Uncle Orville humming 'For the First Time in Forever.'
I keep wondering what they'd do to it. The current script is pretty good and very clean compared to previous versions but they'd have to change it enough to re-market it so there's some concerns there. Obviously a new ending would happen but the rest of the show...?

FN2BFRE

What's show next to get changes yall feel? Will the theorized Moana ride in Adventureland cause ripple affects to where Tiki Room gets some sweet loving? Will CoP get some love now that's Tron is settled in?
I'm terrified for what they would do to it, but CoP needs some attention sooner rather than later. I do think that updating the last scene to a modern future would inevitably come off as hamfisted and awkward, and I think the best course of action would be to either restore the original ending scene and commit to it being a museum piece or just keep the ending as is, and embrace that.

zipadee999

I love it! I was worried but I think we have a home run on our hands! It feels like a cross between the original show and vacation hoedown, especially with
Rufus
being back! They nailed the humor, and though not as subversive as the original show, it reminds me of the humor in vacation hoedown quite a bit. I love the song choices with the exception of Try Everything which feels very out of place. The new song is perfectly adequate, but not great. They should’ve just kept Bear Band Serenade. All of the other songs I loved, especially Big Al’s, which again feels very reminiscent of his portrayal in Vacation Hoedown.

The banter from Melvin, Buff, and Max is spot on, although they could’ve kept the ‘we’re kinda hung up here’ bit instead of having them do the safety warning. The animatronics are the best they’ve ever looked. The intro Henry looks like he could be a guy in a costume he’s so fluid. The fog, lighting, and projections are all perfect as well. This show feels much more ‘alive’ than previous versions.

The imagineers did their homework, and this is a very ‘on brand’ country bears experience which feels like a continuation of the original rather than an ‘Under New Management’ situation. You can tell lots of love and care was put into the show. This is the first ‘reimagining’ in a long time that equals and even improves upon what was there before. Overall very very happy and relieved to see what they did here!

Here’s my official country bears ranking: 1971 show > Musical Jamboree > Vacation Hoedown > Christmas Special > 2012 show

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom