News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

Disney Analyst

And yet it’s not silly when it comes to theme parks.

I think my post laid out my perspective clear enough, no need for snarky gotchas.

Many of the theme park fandom want new original attractions in the parks, like the days of old. But reality shows that is unlikely, anytime soon.

It’s also not shocking or surprising that Disney would use their already developed, loved, and popular music, from their original films, in their attractions. Especially an attraction that is all about music.

Disney will mine their IP, and that’s that. As I noted, perhaps in a decade or two Disney will swing the other way and decide to build original attractions. Who knows.

Hope you have a fantastic rest of your day - thanks for the kind visit ❤️

James Alucobond

Were the old songs SUPPOSED to be familiar? I presumed they just chose a bunch of funny and bizarre songs that fit the theme and jokes didn't expect anyone to go in knowing them already.

(Davy Crocket being the exception.)
Most were fairly recent songs when the Country Bears originally opened. Also, I doubt they would've bothered getting Tex Ritter to do Blood on the Saddle in the show itself if you weren't supposed to recognize it as a Tex Ritter song.

Virtual Toad

Most were fairly recent songs when the Country Bears originally opened. Also, I doubt they would've bothered getting Tex Ritter to do Blood on the Saddle in the show itself if you weren't supposed to recognize it as a Tex Ritter song.
Also, for those not already familiar with the material, it was fun as kids to see older relatives relate to the songs. Later as adults, it was just as much fun to decipher the lyrics and their meanings. "Did he really just sing 'Every time I looked cross-eyed, she'd hit me with a shovel?!'" I still remember my wife cracking up when she figured that one out.

The irreverence of CBJ was a big part of the fun. The bears singing hilariously inappropriate songs worked so well because the characters did it with so much charm and sincerity.

Over time CBJ-- as an attraction-- became a unique IP of its own, for many as much a part of the classic MK experience as Haunted Mansion, Small World or Pirates. Admittedly not an E-Ticket in the way we might categorize such things today, but something you couldn't wait to share with the next generation the same way the previous one shared it with you.

So by extension, the songs in the original became part of the IP since (again, over time) many had never heard most of them anywhere else. In that way they were somewhat adopted by Disney and became "Disney" songs themselves.

Turning the show into yet another "greatest hits" singalong attraction makes the bears themselves less about originality and simply a disposable, easily interchangeable vehicle to promote what Disney sees as "the brand." It's a somewhat lazy approach and risks overexposing the guests to songs they've already heard a million times before across venues and media too numerous to mention.

Cmdr_Crimson

Were the old songs SUPPOSED to be familiar? I presumed they just chose a bunch of funny and bizarre songs that fit the theme and jokes didn't expect anyone to go in knowing them already.

(Davy Crocket being the exception.)
What if they went down the unknown rabbit hole of Disney songs?

Age of Non Believing
Razzle Dazzle Day
Candle in the water
Lavender Blue
Any song from the Happiest Millionaire..

James Alucobond

So by extension, the songs in the original became part of the IP since (again, over time) many had never heard most of them anywhere else. In that way they were somewhat adopted by Disney and became "Disney" songs themselves.

Turning the show into yet another "greatest hits" singalong attraction makes the bears themselves less about originality and simply a disposable, easily interchangeable vehicle to promote what Disney sees as "the brand." It's a somewhat lazy approach and risks overexposing the guests to songs they've already heard a million times before.
I agree up to this point. The Country Bears were not updated in a timely manner, plain and simple. As a result, the references no longer came across as originally intended, and the entire affair relied on nostalgia for the attraction itself, not external cultural familiarity with the music. Now, I can agree with the last point that Disney film music may not be the most desirable path forward and contributes to homogenization of the parks, but keeping something way past its sell-by date such that it no longer lives up to its original promise does not magically transfigure it into a timelessly “Disney” experience.

Virtual Toad

I agree up to this point. The Country Bears were not updated in a timely manner, plain and simple. As a result, the references no longer came across as originally intended, and the entire affair relied on nostalgia for the attraction itself, not external cultural familiarity with the music. Now, I can agree with the last point that Disney film music may not be the most desirable path forward and contributes to homogenization of the parks, but keeping something way past its sell-by date such that it no longer lives up to its original promise does not magically transfigure it into a timelessly “Disney” experience.
But what makes one experience timeless (Small World? Pirates?) and another stale? Simply by the fact that the music for those attractions was written by Disney composers/artists and did not come from somewhere else?

Sure, "Blood on the Saddle" is no more original than Snow White or Sleeping Beauty or Little Mermaid or any one of a dozen fairy tales or other things appropriated by Disney over the years. But I can't think of many things more quintessentially "Disney" than Big Al singing "Blood on the Saddle." It's a classic WDW moment in a classic WDW show. A guaranteed crowd pleaser and timeless as it worked so well with the rest of the show.

I guess my point was that yes, the songs are old, but WED gave them new life in an attraction filled with brilliant writing, character and show design. So much so that the songs are considered less as outdated songs from somewhere else, and more "Disney" in that they've become part of a timeless, classic Disney attraction and aren't really recognized today as original songs outside the attraction at all.

WorldExplorer

What if they went down the unknown rabbit hole of Disney songs?

Age of Non Believing
Razzle Dazzle Day
Candle in the water

Lavender Blue
Any song from the Happiest Millionaire..

"We have removed Mama Don't Whoop Little Buford and Blood on the Saddle. In their place will be the classic Disney IP songs, Happiest Homes in These Hills and Every Little Piece."

TrainsOfDisney

I was thinking about this on the thread talking about Cirque du Soleil - up until Iger, Disney Parks didn’t shove Disney IP down your throat. Downtown Disney didn’t used to have very much Disney at all…. It was House of Blues, Cirque du Soliel, Planet Hollywood, all of the Pleasure Island Clubs etc. with some Disney Shops and Disney Quest.

Same thing with the attractions - in all of Frontierland there were Disney references but the only thing themed 100% to a Disney IP was splash.

Since Iger is the first CEO to feel this way, hopefully he will be the last and we can reverse course.

Consumer

I can say very confidently the songs used in Country Bear Jamboree, with the exception of the last three, were never popular songs ("Davy Crockett" and "Ole Slew Foot" were definitely bigger songs and Tex Ritter was a known name, although "Blood on the Saddle" wasn't particularly huge). A few may have been somewhat familiar, but by no means were they charting Billboard Top 100. If they were going for recognizable songs from the 1950's and 60's, they would have been pulling from the likes of Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, George Jones, and Patsy Cline (Trixie singing "Hungry for Love" would have been rather humorous).

James Alucobond

But what makes one experience timeless (Small World? Pirates?) and another stale? Simply by the fact that the music for those attractions was written by Disney composers/artists and did not come from somewhere else?
It depends on whether or not an attraction is still achieving its goal. Pirates of the Caribbean is meant to be an exciting journey through ship battles, port towns, and caverns inhabited by corsairs with some unexpected drops along the way. That's still what you get. Country Bears is meant to be a musical revue of recognizable country songs reimagined in a humorous way. The "recognizable" piece is missing and was part of the original draw to better connect with the older members of the audience.

Sure, "Blood on the Saddle" is no more original than Snow White or Sleeping Beauty or Little Mermaid or any one of a dozen fairy tales or other things appropriated by Disney over the years. But I can't think of many things more quintessentially "Disney" than Big Al singing "Blood on the Saddle." It's a classic WDW moment in a classic WDW show. A guaranteed crowd pleaser and timeless as it worked so well with the rest of the show.
This is nostalgia based on when the Country Bears actually were more relevant. Tex Ritter as Big Al singing "Blood on the Saddle" is only quintessentially Disney to a seasoned parks fan. When I go with people who have never been to WDW before, they don't really know what to make of it, don't particularly enjoy it, and definitely don't equate it with Disney as they understand it. If it included songs they could potentially identify (even just contemporary country), there would be a higher chance of them connecting to it in some way.

Virtual Toad

It depends on whether or not an attraction is still achieving its goal. Pirates of the Caribbean is meant to be an exciting journey through ship battles, port towns, and caverns inhabited by corsairs with some unexpected drops along the way. That's still what you get. Country Bears is meant to be a musical revue of recognizable country songs reimagined in a humorous way. The "recognizable" piece is missing and was part of the original draw to better connect with the older members of the audience.

This is nostalgia based on when the Country Bears actually were more relevant. Tex Ritter as Big Al singing "Blood on the Saddle" is only quintessentially Disney to a seasoned parks fan. When I go with people who have never been to WDW before, they don't really know what to make of it, don't particularly enjoy it, and definitely don't equate it with Disney as they understand it. If it included songs they could potentially identify (even just contemporary country), there would be a higher chance of them connecting to it in some way.
Subjective and agree to disagree. The fusion of Marc Davis' brilliant character design with the song make it more than the sum of its parts, and as timeless and "Disney" as the pirate skeletons playing chess or the dog with the keys. But tastes vary and at the end of the day it's all a matter of opinion and perhaps perspective as well.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Me too I don’t want to be negative I hate the negativity I’m so cautiously optimistic on this. Sorry @Drew the Disney Dude Tiana’s is horrible but I appreciate your coverage of it.
"I don't want to be negative I hate the negativity" "Tiana's is horrible"
Extra Terrestrial Ufo GIF by DefyTV

lazyboy97o

While I agree that there should be original music throughout the parks, I think the situation of the Country Bears is a bit different in that much of the draw was the bears performing familiar, pre-existing songs in a humorous medley. It's not in the same vein as removing A Pirate's Life for Me or Grim Grinning Ghosts; it's actually more akin to swapping Rock 'n' Roller Coaster to something else.
They performed established songs but they were not a random assortment of pop hits rearranged to match genre styling. The songs were already of a particular genre and history that tied to the attraction. You can dress anything to imitate a genre but that just ultimately negates the concept of theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom