Country Bear Jamboree closing for lengthy refurbishment in August

Rasvar

There was a concept for a new show a couple years ago. "Singin' Showdown", if I recall correctly. Wonder why they didn't just go that route rather than cutting bits out of the old one. Would've made more sense, IMHO.

Cost was probably too high. You have to bring in talent to record new show and get new rights to music. It was probably much easier and cheaper to just mangle the existing show. Plus no need to reprogram the show as much as just making changes to the current. Cheap cuts and increase capacity. Typical bad show of the existing TDO management.

GoofyMagic

Wow. Ok, well they certainly didn't BUTCHER the show...but it went from "Outstanding" to "Good," in my opinion. "Fractured Folk Song" did NOT need to need to be cut...and there a bunch of my favorite lines that were cut. Overall, old version A+, new version B-.

But I have to say there is some dead space , like after Trixie's set, wow, it just ends so fast and there are seconds that should have been cut out (since it was a habit anyhow )

Way too quiet, especially Big Al during finale, since the middle of the finale was cut, you don't even kow what he's singing but I guess you "assume" he's still singing his song.

And you're a generous teacher, for that grade :)

GoofyMagic

People DON'T even clap! (as before too I'm sure) the announcer starts the clapping. It it fails.....the speakers on each bear's stage is visible now, at least if you're sitting anywhere below the top 2 rows....

Maybe it's the younger WDI team , who probably is more impressed with video game controllers and 3D animation and live interaction, than animatronics, because that surely seems what's being kept up, changed to, etc. I am sure they're responsible for so many great ideas, but maybe also some of the bad changes/ eliminations too:(

Rasvar

Well, at least the original uncut audio version of Country Bear Jamboree is still available under iTunes. I do appreciate the work that went into the animatronics. I'm sure it looks much better visually. But it is no longer a show. It is a bunch of bits cut together. It has no heart anymore. It's just a bunch of robotic bears moving to music.

TalkingHead

I don't like how the Five Bear Rugs start playing before Henry says "Hit it!"

I feel like they rushed some of the cues by overlapping the into to the songs. And I definitely miss the chit-chat. The show isn't "funny" anymore.

Such a shoddy job, I hadn't even noticed that.

So someone had to decide that extra second was worth cutting by starting the band before Henry says, "Hit it!"

That extra second they eliminated by doing that will add up to at least a dozen more shows per year, so at least there's that.

CountryBearFan

Don't forget to pound WDW with LOTS of letters and emails telling them how you feel, as well as going to City Hall next time you're in the park.

Hopefully, if enough people complain, they'll change it back or at least put more of the eliminated bits back in. :D

sydneymorganmom

I can't believe they did a refurbishment and you still can't hear it. I think my kids would love it but they were ready to go after a few minutes last time we went because they couldn't hear/understand anything.

pumpkin7

The fact that WDI have tried to justify compeltely ruining the show in an official video is just embarrasing for them. How they think they have helped and revived the bears by cutting all the fun out of the show is just a joke. And not even to make it so you can hear the shop properly....? A farce!
Problem is now, people will stop going to see it because it sucks and then WDI will think it's become unpopular and close it.

Jog on.

Figments Friend

-

Wait.....did i read correctly in a few earlier posts....
The Show audio has NOT been raised in volume and it is STILL difficult to hear??
( slaps head in astonishment )

It seemed that the one MAJOR issue that needed to be addressed during this recent refurb was THAT - adjust the audio levels and install a better sound system. Repairing and replacing the worn out cosmetic peices/furs is a obvious plus and was much needed, but crikey....the audio issues have been a major problem for years now.

Personally it would have been satisfactory to just improve the audio...and leave everything else.
Wow....just wow.....

This CBJ rehab is everything that has been wrong with Walt Disney World for a very long time. The Disney Parks Blog video was a new low. It was like Stockholm Syndrome. Do the current Imagineers really believe that they were saying? Were they texting the entire time they revamped it? I just don't know where to go from here. Up seems the only option.

Pound for pound, I feel that 1993 was the high-water mark for the Magic Kingdom Park and it has only been dumbed-down ever since. I tore up my annual pass after a preview of Stitches Great Escape. As far as the parks go- I live in my memories of how amazing they once were and watch from the sidelines cringing at all of the horrible ideas they come up with and rarely give them my money. I'm WDW jaded at 37.

With occasional exception, most aspects of the parks continue to be stupified continuously. I know for a fact that workplace quotas are trumping the qualifications of the very best and brightest in any given field. It's called Marxist Political Correctness and the CBJ chickens have come home to roost. We all know it but are afraid to say it. This is why America is failing. Hire the best and brightest in hopes of the best results, not what somebody looks like in order to fill a quota. That's no job to be at. As much as we all obviously love WDW we should vote with our feet or at least write everyone on the roster in Burbank. Enough is enough. TDO cannot ride the coattails of its predecessors forever and get away with tarnishing everything that Walt Disney worked his life away for!

Done.

J.E.Smith

One another minor thing that annoyed me is that in the last refurb in 2008 they reprogrammed Terrence/Shaker so that he finally shakes wildly during the finale. Now he stands sill with a little bit of shaking.

About the loss of Devilish Mary, since it seems making the show move at a faster pace was the point of these edits and cutting it out, do you think they should have replaced it with Rockytop from the Vacation Hoedown, since that song's a much quicker pace than Mary? Better than having no song there.

Magenta Panther

Well, that is really disappointing. I remember when I went into CBJ last December, I was eager to see the improvements, since I'd read it'd had a refurb. I saw no improvements at all - the AAs still moved stiffly, and the sound was sooooo low and garbled. And after THIS refurb, the sound and clarity is STILL an issue???? "Better than ever", my hat!

J.E.Smith

Well, that is really disappointing. I remember when I went into CBJ last December, I was eager to see the improvements, since I'd read it'd had a refurb. I saw no improvements at all - the AAs still moved stiffly, and the sound was sooooo low and garbled. And after THIS refurb, the sound and clarity is STILL an issue???? "Better than ever", my hat!

Well the AAs move very fluidly now, one of the good improvements of this refurb.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
I would think that programing a new show, (perhaps without a costume change), would be a no-brainer.

Yes, CBJ is decades old, but obvious folks still love the show, at least based on the hand clapping I've seen in years past. I mean, this show from the 1970's is still entertaining, why in the world couldn't they just program 4 or 5 different shows and have the computer randomly selected which show plays on a given day? Without a costume change, it would just be what show the computer decides to run. Heck, they could even randomly move around the bits of dialogue that were removed from the original show.

I am sick and tired of waiting for new technology to be applied to CBJ so that multiple shows can be shown. Sure they'd have to pay somebody to write and program the bears, and for voice actors, but they could run a combination of shows for decades to come. Look how much mileage they got out of a single show!

I know that people complain about the supposedly high cost of changing out the show to do a Christmas show . . . even though Disney spends months getting Osbourne ready and manning huge warehouses with all of the trees that are moved around the resort. This is more manpower, and yet not quite as visible as a new piece of entertainment which could be advertised to bring guests into the park.

Splash Mountain falling apart, CBJ show shortened and the neat dialogue bits removed, plus a so-so Big Thunder refurb. Obviously, the manager/exec in charge of Frontierland is trying to cut the budget as much as possible to make this area of the park look more profitable.

I hope they fire him/her, or whoever is responsible for this garbage.

Congrats. Your post was referenced in a New York Times article regarding the refurb.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/20/arts/country-bear-jamboree-at-walt-disney-world.html?_r=0

J.E.Smith

One line in that Times article caught my eye:

here are new costumes, props, lighting, stage curtains and sound systems; modernized backstage controls give Disney the ability to add seasonal changes easily. Fresh animatronics give the bears “an increased sense of aliveness,” Mr. Vaughn said.
Wonder if this means they'd actually do shortened Christmas and Vacation shows...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom