Country Bear Jamboree closing for lengthy refurbishment in August

Atomicmickey

Watching the video now. From my point of view, this isn't exactly a bad thing.
For one, it really needed a sound upgrade. Also, though I have lots of nostalgia
for this, the last time I saw it, I was cringing a bit at the pacing. I think that tightening
things up and moving it along helps a bit. Point being, I don't think they cut the songs to save on time, I think that they did it to up the pace for today's audiences. Looking at it through 'memory colored glasses', it's a classic, but showing it's age, show-style wise. This is probably a good way to ensure a bit more longevity for it. Look at the bright side, they didn't add any modern country music, the country equivalent of Gloria Estefan being added to Tiki.

So, in my book, this one's ok.

asianway

Teddi Barra, great. Nice to see the bears getting new costumes and fur.
I suppose it depends on what interstitial dialogue has gone.
Devilish Mary was probably my favourite song! Gutted.
Fractured Folk song I wasn't that big of a fan of anyway so that I don't mind.

It's a shame that they felt the need to cut and chop and get rid of stuff when they didn't really need to. I mean I know they're trying to save a few minutes, but surely the bears aren't that high capacity and aren't there 2 auditoriums? Just seems like changes for changes sake.
If all this is true, I'm suprised they cut Devilish Mary but not Mama Don't Whoop Little Buford, or Blood on the Saddle. Devilish Mary was one of the more upbeat songs and I don't think it was not PC at all.
And the finale? What was wrong with the finale? I wouldn't have minded them turning Blood on the Saddle down so you couldn't hear it over the main finale song, but again, a real foot tapper that didn't need to be touched.

I'm hoping someone out there will take a video! Need to know exactly what's gone on!
DL had two theatres, WDW has one. Their smaller footprints are probably what saved their respective Toad/CBJ

Slowjack

It's a shame that they felt the need to cut and chop and get rid of stuff when they didn't really need to. I mean I know they're trying to save a few minutes, but surely the bears aren't that high capacity and aren't there 2 auditoriums? Just seems like changes for changes sake.
It's one auditorium. When they copied it for Disneyland, they put in two because the show had such long lines at WDW, but it was never as popular out there.

I assume the cuts are not for capacity but merely an attempt to make the show more liked by those who found the older version too slow paced. Having just watched Steve's video, I guess we can be thankful the style and character of the show wasn't changed, as has been done in the past for other shows. Really, I'm sort of torn about the whole thing. I don't know that people who didn't like the old show will like the new, shorter version much better, and those who liked the old show will miss the bits that are missing. But the truth is, I haven't seen the show in many years, because--well, because my wife can't stand it. Maybe these edits will allow me to coax her into the theater during our next visit.

Disneykidder

Wow. I'm so grateful that the video was up to be seen...and so quickly!! We didn't get to see it this past August and I was a bit disappointed. I know my middle son would have enjoyed it!! At least we can see it shiny and new for our next trip in August!! I'm sure my youngest will love it, too!!

Baloo62

First, let me say that I like CBJ. We see it on each of our annual trips. Having watched the new show video, I don't think it's that bad. I agree it seems more rushed and abrupt, but the original spirit and feeling of the attraction is still there, at least for me. What strikes me about the video is something that I notice on each and every visit...the dead silence of the audience. As you watch, you can almost hear crickets chirping at the end of each number. If thought balloons were visible, they would read "Lame", "Stupid", "Z-z-z-z-z-z", and "Is this supposed to be funny?" Again, I've always liked CBJ, but I must admit to having the same straight-faced expression throughout the show. IMHO, it desperately needs to be updated. I know this would never happen due to royalties, but I would love to see the bears perform more contemporary, familiar country songs...even hits from the 80's would be more relatable to modern audiences. I respect that people like the traditional aspects and nostalgia of WDW...I do too. But in the case of CBJ, I think it misses the mark in entertainment value. The silence of the crowd is deafening.

Rasvar

Way too much chopped. Mostly, why even have Buff, Max and Melvin anymore? That is the most disappointing aspect for me. I understand the reasons for shortening but I would rather they went and rerecorded the whole thing. The shortening of the musical numbers seemed OK except for the finale. Probably cut one too many five Bear Band numbers for my liking. Transitions in between numbers that use to give a looser country show feeling way too mangled. I give it a D-. Not something I am interested now unless I am looking fro air conditioning. Do a whole new blasted show instead of that garbage. [If you want my real feeling. Insert colorful adjectives at many spots that can't be posted here.]

GLaDOS

First, let me say that I like CBJ. We see it on each of our annual trips. Having watched the new show video, I don't think it's that bad. I agree it seems more rushed and abrupt, but the original spirit and feeling of the attraction is still there, at least for me. What strikes me about the video is something that I notice on each and every visit...the dead silence of the audience. As you watch, you can almost hear crickets chirping at the end of each number. If thought balloons were visible, they would read "Lame", "Stupid", "Z-z-z-z-z-z", and "Is this supposed to be funny?" Again, I've always liked CBJ, but I must admit to having the same straight-faced expression throughout the show. IMHO, it desperately needs to be updated. I know this would never happen due to royalties, but I would love to see the bears perform more contemporary, familiar country songs...even hits from the 80's would be more relatable to modern audiences. I respect that people like the traditional aspects and nostalgia of WDW...I do too. But in the case of CBJ, I think it misses the mark in entertainment value. The silence of the crowd is deafening.

I can't agree with you here. I saw Country Bears quite a bit over the past 4 or 5 years, and for the most part, most of the audience was always into it.

The reason I think you see what you saw in this video is because many, many of the jokes and humor has been cut from the show. It just flies by with nothing in between.

Do a whole new blasted show instead of that garbage. [If you want my real feeling. Insert colorful adjectives at many spots that can't be posted here.]

I completely agree. Why bother with the show if you're just going to make it crap? Just make it something new.

Buried20KLeague

I think the silence of the crowd is directly related to the EXTREMELY low volume of the show. It causes the crowd to consciously sit very still and quiet for fear they won't be able to hear otherwise. The volume issue causes zero crowd interaction as a side-effect.

Crank the volume up to 11 (Spinal Tap!!), and I'm positive you'd have a whole different show.

Does anyone know if they cranked the volume up after this refurb? That's something that's hard to tell in a video.

pumpkin7

That was a bit painful to watch. Like others have said, at least they haven't added anything to it, like Iago, but I feel less connected to the bears now. All that chit chat, yip yap and flam flam was good! Parts such as 'That was a mighty big song, Trixie'. 'Why, thank you Henry'. just gave it that little bit more. You learnt the names of the bears and stuff but now there's nothing like that. They're just bears. I'm glad they didn't cut Teddi Bearers speech at the end of her number though.
It's also a shame they've had to cut so much of Max, Buff and Melvin as they didn't have a very big part to begin with. And Devilish Mary! WHY?! I think they could have gotten away with just cutting down on the talking and not getting rid of any songs, or perhaps just by cutting them down. It has been rather brutally butchered.

Has the show ever been altered to such an extent since it opened in WDW?

Still, it looks amazing now. I noticed Zinc's dishpan moves loads more, and Trixie's lips move in time to what she's saying. The movements are much cleaner and smoother. There's one bear (I don't know his name - the one who sings 'How Long Is Forever') who had quite a shake on him before the refurb and now he's nice and smooth. Liver Lips McGraw looks a bit crazy I agree.

But despite all this, I still can't wait to see it in the flesh in June and sing along! I'm glad they haven't ruined the spirit of the show. It's still the bears, it's still great fun, and it's still a great sing a long. I'm sooo glad they haven't put a new show in. Long Live The Country Bear Jamboree!

And GREAT JOB WDWMAGIC for getting us a video so quickly :D

PhilharMagician

I agree with 20K there is little crowd interaction going on and the volume is low. I think it that some it is also how the CM preps the crowd during the introduction. I have seen some CM's really into it and others that seem bothered that they have too pic up the microphone.

I was there after the refurb about 4 years ago and stood in line with about 50 other CBJ fans waiting for them to let us in. I must say that from the video this refurb went much better. At least this time it appears the most of the AA's seem to be operating properly. The cuts that were made to the show do not seem that bad, but I am still disappointed that the show was shortened even the slightest.

Bring back Vacation Hoedown and Country Bear Christmas versions!!!

wdwfan4ver

The show got butchered and lost a great amount of charm. I am very disappointed this refurbishment.

I am happy that the AA's are operating properly, but not the cuts they did such as the interactions of the characters as examples.

J.E.Smith

*SIGH*

Just watched it...and I am really really MAD right now.

The show is ruined for me. I HATE half of the new cosmetics, I HATE Gomer and Liver Lips' new looks, and I HATE all the cuts.

It's funny. I've been into the Disney parks all this time, and none of the changes elsewhere in the parks have hit me as hard as this. I guess it's because the Country Bears were one of my favorite things in the park, and to me this is worse than Wonders of Life closing (Which I also loved).

Ever since the bears went into their dip in quality in 2005, I've been regularly keeping track of every new bear video that popped up on YouTube, keeping track of the quality of the show because I cared much for it. But after seeing this butchered version of the show, I'm done with that. I'm not looking at this ruined version ever again. Unless they restore the show, I don't care now if it stays open or not. To me, its already closed now.

As you folks may know, I shot a multi-angle edit of the Christmas Special back in 2005. Ever since then, I've been longing to get back to WDW to do the same for the original show, and I've had how I was going to do it all planned out in my head. But money issues caused by my mom losing her job and me being busy from school have kept me from doing that. But now that the show is ruined I'm not doing that. I guess that's part of why I'm so worked up over this is that I really wanted to make that multi-angle edit of the original and now I can't do it.

Steve, thank you for making that multi-angle edit of your own before the show went into refurb. You guys actually used a bunch of angles that I was planning to use, and it's the closest I'll see to the one that I wanted to do. I'm going to be sticking to watching that and other older bear videos from now on.

Just had to get that off of my chest...again I never thought I'd be so worked up over something like this.

(Gee, I kind of sounded like General Grizz here. Whenever he his, I bet he's not happy with this either...)

TalkingHead

So if you didn't like the show before, you're still not going to like it.

And if you liked the show before, you may not like the changes made to it.

So why edit the show like this? Is this actually about boosting guest numbers? For a show that is, allegedly, not all that popular to begin with?

pumpkin7

So if you didn't like the show before, you're still not going to like it.

And if you liked the show before, you may not like the changes made to it.

So why edit the show like this? Is this actually about boosting guest numbers? For a show that is, allegedly, not all that popular to begin with?

Some are saying it's to keep it fresh for todays audience and so it doesn't get boring. To me now it's more boring than it was before. I feel we've lost the connection with the bears. They don't talk and whatnot much now. Such a shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom