Country Bear Jamboree closing for lengthy refurbishment in August

CountryBearFan

Watching the video now. From my point of view, this isn't exactly a bad thing.
For one, it really needed a sound upgrade. Also, though I have lots of nostalgia
for this, the last time I saw it, I was cringing a bit at the pacing. I think that tightening
things up and moving it along helps a bit. Point being, I don't think they cut the songs to save on time, I think that they did it to up the pace for today's audiences. Looking at it through 'memory colored glasses', it's a classic, but showing it's age, show-style wise. This is probably a good way to ensure a bit more longevity for it. Look at the bright side, they didn't add any modern country music, the country equivalent of Gloria Estefan being added to Tiki.

So, in my book, this one's ok.

Although the cuts are disappointing, you have made some valid points once again.

At least we still have CBJ at WDW, unlike DL.

StarWarsGirl

Does it make me a terrible Disney World fan to say this?:

Thank goodness! I have always HATED this ride! The best thing that they could do was reduce the torture! I am usually forced to get on it once per trip, but this should make it "bear"able. Haha.

Except that I always liked Big Al. They should have left him alone. But the rest I am fine with. MORE than fine with

GoofyMagic

As much as I agree with you that I'd love to see more holiday overlays, there is one thing we are ignoring. Walt Disney World is NOT Disneyland. The major difference between the two parks, is that Disneyland's guests are almost always returning guests, or going to become returning guests. A majority of Walt Disney World guests are Once in a lifetime guests. The guests at WDW are coming from around the world, and the country specifically for a once in a lifetime vacation. Yes, it has a HUGE return rate. But still, that return rate is based on people getting to experience as much as possible. When you close an attraction, even for a short while, you cut off that experience to hundreds of thousands of new guests. This in turn has shown to decrease the amount of people willing to come back. When a new guest comes, and they see too many refurbishments, it dampens their experience and they are less likely to return.

I 100% see your point of view as an already returning Disney Guest. But to new guests, disney already lacks in amount of attractions compared to their local amusement parks (I know we would never compare the two), but to a new guest this is a big deal. When they come to WDW and see closed attractions, they feel cheated. And rightfully so.

Just a thought.

I do see what you mean :(

GoofyMagic

From a non-fan perspective... I saw the show once 11 years ago and always skipped it after that. This referb isn't encouraging me to see it again, so i doubt it will bring in new fans. Shortening it didn't accomplish anything except disappointing the loyal CBJ fans which is really sad. While I didn't care for the show, I know it had a decent following and I really feel for you guys! You all got the short end of the stick and that's a shame :( At least the AA's got some TLC though!

you're awesome, :)

PuertoRekinSam

Seeing everyone complain about the cuts and the show being shorter, this that and the other... I honestly don't think these types of shows have the excitement factor the modern audience wants. As someone pointed out, through memory coloured glasses, it was always better the way it was before, and new changes ruin the memories. I get it, this past weekend I took my littlest to a regional amusement park in PA that I used to go to as a child, I had my memories of it all, and I wanted to share them with her before she out grew them. But after being there, I realized that my ipad savvy 3 year old wasn't interested in the small shows and rides that i thought were so cool (could also be related to the fact she's been to WDW 6 times in 3 years, and I was 9 before my first trip.)

Anyway, the point I wanted to make (and I have no idea how I was planning on getting here from what I already wrote)2 trips ago, I was at WDW right after the reopening of the Tiki room, and there was a line to see it. When we were there on Labor Day weekend of this year, the theater was over half empty, and from what I could tell from the audience there was no one there on their first visit repeat visiting the tiki room, only the "remembers."

J.E.Smith

hobogomer.png

Enraged by the fact that his piano solo was cut short, Gomer quit the show out of frustration. Needing a new piano player at the last minute, Henry grabbed this hobo bear off the street.

(I don't know, Gomer's new appearance makes him look like a hobo to me. Must be the goatee. And I'm joking that it's a different character because of the new look and the fact he isn't named anymore).

DisneyLeo18

Have to say, the show sounds amazing now. I can't wait to hear it in person.

However I agree with the majority that it sucks the show was cut short (by 30%??). I do like the extra talking, but casual guests may disagree.

hobogomer.png

Enraged by the fact that his piano solo was cut short, Gomer quit the show out of frustration. Needing a new piano player at the last minute, Henry grabbed this hobo bear off the street.

(I don't know, Gomer's new appearance makes him look like a hobo to me. Must be the goatee. And I'm joking that it's a different character because of the new look and the fact he isn't named anymore).

Have to say, the show sounds amazing now. I can't wait to hear it in person.

However I agree with the majority that it sucks the show was cut short (by 30%??). I do like the extra talking, but casual guests may disagree.

J.E.Smith

One other statement I want to retract from my earlier post is that if I didn't care if the show stays open or not and the show was dead to me. Well...after watching the cut down version several times and getting over the initial anger I had over the changes, I have to say I do like the lighting and fixes to the AAs. I notice they added one little programming bit to Wendell where he silently laughs after they sing that I don't think was there before. That was kind of a nice touch. Another nice programming bit is that even though Buff, Max, and Melvin barely speak anymore, they still react to what's going on to the show through gestures. During Trixie's number notice that Melvin moves back and forth in time with the music. I can't tell from the video, but do their spotlights stay on at certain points in the show so you can see their gestures? That's still a good programming touch.

I'll never agree with the cuts, but I've gotten over that insane "This sucks! I'll never see it again! I'd rather it be closed than this butchered state!" phase that I had earlier.

The Country Bear Jamboree is one of the only few WDW Magic Kingdom original attractions and very favourite of mine. In the last few hours I was completely insulted visually and assulted verbally by the newly dumbed-down and P/C version of the last remaining racy-attraction that Uncle Walt could not have been more excited about. The dumbed-down revamp of the animatronics are the new-new since Garner Holt has taken over MAPO Imagineering Productions along with the TDO pencil suckers.

"Enraged by the fact that his piano solo was cut short, Gomer quit the show out of frustration. Needing a new piano player at the last minute, Henry grabbed this hobo bear off the street."

I do not know if it is more pathetic or sad what "bottom-feeders" at Disney have done to this one of few last remaining classic attractions. They truely suck. Goodbye Phil Holmes and good riddance!

Figments Friend

-
Just watched todays video of the new refurbed show, and wanted to add some comments.

First impression - The Bears look wonderful mechanically. EVERY movement appears to be working now, and the fluidity is back. It looks fantastic movement-wise.

Cosmetic wise, well....for the most part things have definately improved. The new fur looks great and is a big plus, but i am not overly keen on what was done to Gomer. His character design has been completely changed, which to me violates the original Marc Davis design. What on Earth is up with that crazy blonde goatee? Did country hillbillies even wear goatees...? It seems out of place to me.

Liver Lips did not really need the crazy hairdo added, IMO, as audiences laughed at him regardless. No need to add something like this.

Teddi Barra looks AMAZING. I am really pleased with her new look, and how she is now actually seated upright on her swing as she should be. For years now she has been slumped over...the spotlight barely lighting her face because of her drooping posture and her large brimmed hat. HUGE improvement there for Teddi.

Now to the cuts that were made to the show....

Yeah, i am kind of dissaspointed to see the cuts done...but i can understand the reasoning somewhat. Despite that reasoning, it seems to me that the currant version leaves a less personal experience for the viewer. With all the additional inter-character banter now pretty much removed, it is a very quick overview of some random songs leaving the viewer as just a observer. The previous chatter between the characters added just that..CHARACTER...which i see now is greatly diminished. Instead of feeling like one is actually watching a *live variety stage show* performed by the Bears, and getting to *know* them in the course of the 20 minute show, we now see a Clip Notes version. Instead of having a show-hall experience, It comes off as watching a television synopsis of what was there previously. I guess this is okay for today*s Joe Average Guest who wants no mental stimulation upstairs...just wants to view and move on like he does when watching YouTube videos.
Yeah, i can understand the need to maybe tighten a few things up...but cutting out some of the interaction between the stage and Max, Buff, and Melvin hanging on the wall is a shame.

This is one of my fave full AA shows, and i still enjoy it. The cuts may be dissapointing, but the Bears look fantastic and from the video it sounds like the audio system has be upgraded. These things make me happy...nice to see this show getting some love finally, and ALSO happy that it was not closed and ripped out to become yet another attraction with tv screens.

Hooray!

Figments Friend

One other statement I want to retract from my earlier post is that if I didn't care if the show stays open or not and the show was dead to me. Well...after watching the cut down version several times and getting over the initial anger I had over the changes, I have to say I do like the lighting and fixes to the AAs.

I'll never agree with the cuts, but I've gotten over that insane "This sucks! I'll never see it again! I'd rather it be closed than this butchered state!" phase that I had earlier.
-

That is good then...as it has a bright side. At least Disney did a decent refurb instead of just closing this attraction. I might not be overly thrilled with the cuts made to the Show, or one characters cosmetics (Gomer) but i can really appreciate the fact that we probably came really close to this being gutted at some point.

At least we still have The Bears in the Park...! Woo! That is worth shouting a *Yee Haw* over!
:)

Figments Friend

Well, you can edit the show in a choppy way but...it's still robotic bears singing country music...with choppy editing and bad pacing along the way.

Choppy...yeah, that would be a appropriate way to describe the new cuts.
I noticed the order of the songs did tend to jump around a bit.
The missing dialog between the characters was a big part of the appeal of the show for me. A bit dissapointed this was cut in many places.

Oh, I almost forgot that Team Disney Orlando is dumbing down a 40 + year old very popular show and dumbing it down in hopes of eventual low attendance and closing it one fine day maybe 10 or 15 years down the road, If you want to challange me I can point to a dozen attractions that they have "manipulated" in the past and gotten their way with.

"Does anyone in the know have any idea if Garner Holt rebuilt any of the AAs, or are they all the old ones but fixed up?" J.E. Smith-

Great question! that was what I was wondering. I have not seen AA figures so poorly represented since 1/2 of Garner Holts little Mermaid attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom