Country Bear Jamboree closing for lengthy refurbishment in August

pumpkin7

That DVD line ended in 2009 with the two Zorro seasons, sadly. It's my understanding that part of the reason is its two biggest supporters within the company (Dick Cook and Roy E. Disney) are no longer with the company. That and Disney has been looking for ways to cut costs in the Home Entertainment dvision and low profit margin titles like the Treasures are not worth it to them.

I would love for it to come back though, with such titles as a WDW edition.

i was wondering why i couldn't get hold of them any more. very sad. although Roy E Disney didn't really 'get on' with the company in his later years, he was still trying to keep the legacy of Uncle Walt alive. now he's died, and the rest of the Disney clan have jumped ship, it's just one big corperate machine. very, very sad.

Castle Cake Apologist

So, is it suddenly confirmed that the show would be cut? Or are we still just running wild with a bunch of (increasingly dramatic) unfounded rumors?

This place cracks me up.

Rasvar

So, is it suddenly confirmed that the show would be cut? Or are we still just running wild with a bunch of (increasingly dramatic) unfounded rumors?

This place cracks me up.
Still rumors. I asked a couple of folks I know who might have heard of plans and no one had heard anything of impending show changes. Not absolute, though.

Castle Cake Apologist

Still rumors. I asked a couple of folks I know who might have heard of plans and no one had heard anything of impending show changes. Not absolute, though.

Thanks for actual info. :)

I've also been asking around and have heard nothing of cuts, just potential upgrades and some general overall love. Thought I'd double check in here, since there really seems to be some misinformation increasingly snowballing into bigger and bigger claims.

Rasvar

Thanks for actual info. :)

I've also been asking around and have heard nothing of cuts, just potential upgrades and some general overall love. Thought I'd double check in here, since there really seems to be some misinformation increasingly snowballing into bigger and bigger claims.

I will be the first to say that my comments on upgrades were simply speculation in this case. If there were going to major changes, it was going to require a much longer rehab. I have heard nothing to indicate anything is in the works. I don't think a fire is scheduled either. ;)

aka_emilicious

Isn't Hip Hop over yet?
Well, in the teacher's guide they gave us to look at one of the activities made all of us laugh out loud: it was an activity plan where they students would have to "write a rap song" about nutrition and it showed the teacher how to teach the kids how "to write a rap song". I wish I still had this so I could scan it and show you all, but it had these very cartoonish, child-like drawings next to the activity box and the figures were "rapping" with a big boom box like it was 1985 and they were big RMDC fans. Hilarious.

May I introduce you to Food Rocks (EPCOT circa 1994?) with Fud Wrapper, rapping about nutrition.

EDIT: For the (w)rapping, skip ahead to 6:27. However, I recommend watching the whole thing for 90's goodness.

Also, if you search YouTube for "Food Rocks", "Food Rocks Tribute" comes up as an auto-fill option. Obviously because Martin's videos are the best.

kelsey51090

Hi!
I work at the Magic Kingdom. Can't say exactly where, but it's really close to country bear jamboree. As far as I know, the bears are getting some new voices. Not exactly sure who's going to do the voices. I've heard a lot of big time country celebrities, like Taylor Swift and Larry the Cable Guy. If this is true, it'd make me happy. This show deserves some much needed love an attention.

The Duck

Hi!
I work at the Magic Kingdom. Can't say exactly where, but it's really close to country bear jamboree. As far as I know, the bears are getting some new voices. Not exactly sure who's going to do the voices. I've heard a lot of big time country celebrities, like Taylor Swift and Larry the Cable Guy. If this is true, it'd make me happy. This show deserves some much needed love an attention.
(sigh). Here we go again... :rolleyes:

J.E.Smith

Hi!

Don't buy it. If modern day singers were being brought in, we'd have heard a press release or something by now.

Weather_Lady

I am selfishly just hoping that the refurb will stay on schedule so we can see it before we depart WDW on October 18th! As a longtime fan of the Country Bear Jamboree (what's not to like? It's country! It's bears! It's a jamboree!), I cannot wait to introduce my 4 and 6-year-old kids to it before it goes the way of some of my other childhood favorites, Snow White, Mr. Toad, and 20,000 Leagues.

I know that many people see the show as outdated, or too slowly paced, but to me, that's exactly the point -- the show evokes the simple, old-timey charms that are part of what Frontierland is about. Of course, updating the sound system, spiffing up the animatronics and/or cutting potentially offensive elements from the show would be welcome -- I just hope WDW doesn't someday sweep my beloved bears aside completely.

prberk

That DVD line ended in 2009 with the two Zorro seasons, sadly. It's my understanding that part of the reason is its two biggest supporters within the company (Dick Cook and Roy E. Disney) are no longer with the company. That and Disney has been looking for ways to cut costs in the Home Entertainment dvision and low profit margin titles like the Treasures are not worth it to them.

I would love for it to come back though, with such titles as a WDW edition.

Once again, short-term gains trump long-term growth. The Walt Disney Company (a/k/a Walt Disney Productions) used to understand the value over time of keeping their heritage front and center, which made not only made new money out of existing product, but it engendered loyalty by growing and encouraging fans. The money that is made is from the fierce loyalties built by return customers, which is hard to tie an individual product (and thus hard to tangibly show is related to things like the "Treasures" series individually), is not a short-term gain... but clearly things like this build loyalty (and "build the brand" by making it look valuable) over time, and continue to get traded and seen. They are worth it.

But MBAs interested only in short-term quarterly results may never get it. A few good ones will. But some never will.

kelsey51090

That would be awesome if they replaced it with lester's possum park :) And to be honest, I don't spend much time around the mouseketeria, so I don't know what kind of rumors float around there. However, I do know people who are part of the refurb (managers and the same maintance people who work at my location), and they're pretty honest to cast members. And they're probably wouldn't be much of a press release seeing as how Disney really doesn't like to draw attention to celebrites if they can help it and they want kids (and adults) to believe they are real singing bears, so they wouldn't say that this person is doing the voice of this bear and so on in public.

Walt Disney1955

I seriously think that anyone who has a major idea to completely overhaul should be hung in town square. The show is a classic, the voices and the songs and the characters are what make it what it is. This is what the Disney company is supposed to be about. I scoff at the notion of Taylor Swift among others doing any voices (I realize this is wishful thinking by a few airheads). What makes that attraction as beloved as it is, is the simplicity of it. The charm as well. Few attractions can ever compete with that. CBJ is like Small World. There are haters, but those that love it love it a lot. Upgrade the sound and such but don't screw with a good thing. There is a reason I can sing everyone of those songs in my head anytime I want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom