Country Bear Jamboree closing for lengthy refurbishment in August

The Empress Lilly

If they are actually worried about time taken to reprogram, RE-EDITING THE SHOW IS WHAT IS TAKING MONTHS.

Let's say the edits add 3 shows a day. So it goes from 29 to 32 shows a day (again, I am too lazy to do the actual math here). If down for 8 weeks, it will take 77 weeks at the lower runtime just to make up the number of shows it loses being down 8 weeks.

1.5 years to payoff the 3 minute cut.

Stupid.
I think the cut in the show is made to streamline it, to make it more appealing to today's shorter attention spans.

GLaDOS

I think the cut in the show is made to streamline it, to make it more appealing to today's shorter attention spans.

See...I don't get that though. I see the show every few months when I'm down there, and never see walk outs and the theater is usually at least 3/4 full.

I dunno. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

prberk

It is not really all that cheap to upgrade. A lot of the show mechanics is still based on the original 1960's technology, much of which is incompatible with modern systems. Kind of the same reason why the ISS runs on mostly 1980's and 1990's technology. The cost is in pulling out all of the wiring and control systems, installing the new systems into the AA units and then doing a complete reprogramming of the show from start to finish. Now, once that is done, it is not as big of a deal to change shows. That would be closer to a three to six month refurb. Now it is possible they may do it in phases of shorter periods where they do prep work in this short period and then will close it again at some point next year to do the change over while doing staging the new equipment in the off hours. New conduits and electrical systems along with construction of space for new control machinery can be done in about a 1.5 to 2 month period. New equipment can then be installed and staged over the intervening months and the full change would be done on the next refurb period.

On a system of this size, it is never cheap or easy to do an upgrade. When I was doing technology work, it was always much easier to clean with no legacy hardware. Hooking old technology to new technology is always ripe for gremlins.

Edit addition: Not saying it shouldn't be done. It really needs it. I had a friend who worked on the DACS for Country Bears about five years ago and he called it disaster then. I'm sure it is not any better now.

Can you explain in more layman's terms how the legacy AA control and computer systems work, especially at CBJ, and maybe we can have a better understanding of what it takes (a) to reset them for a seasonal show or (b) to replace them with more modern systems that would be more responsive and easier to change seasonally?

Maybe you (or others) can put this in perspective for us with regard to Disney's newer AAs and older ones.

(What are DACs, by the way...?)

prberk

to be honest, and don't hate me for this, but if they are cutting big al out / down, then the finale will sound better; i mean, they're trying to drown bit al out right? but you can still hear him and it sounds a mess! maybe if they start him singing blood on the saddle as per usual but then not having singing over the finale... or something i don't know.
they can't be doing too much to it because they don't have the voice actors to re do any lines or add new lines in... well, i saw Pete Renaday in an interview with the latest voice for mickey mouse not too long back but i'm guessing he doesn't sound quite the same any more.

edit: Pete Renaday is in assassins creed and fallout new vegas! cool! never noticed!

You know what I would love to see? A "special features" type DVD about DL or WDW that included interviews or (better yet) a "reunion" discussion with many of the voice actors from popular attractions. Since so many have passed on, it would probably have to either be a discussion among the living ones who reference (with clips) the others who have passed away, or just a straight-up narrated documentary about them. But either way, I would love to see a Disney featurette about the familiar voice talent of the parks. What a gem that would be.

A good reason to finally do a "Walt Disney Treasures" box about Walt Disney World!

Rasvar

Can you explain in more layman's terms how the legacy AA control and computer systems work, especially at CBJ, and maybe we can have a better understanding of what it takes (a) to reset them for a seasonal show or (b) to replace them with more modern systems that would be more responsive and easier to change seasonally?

Maybe you (or others) can put this in perspective for us with regard to Disney's newer AAs and older ones.

(What are DACs, by the way...?)
DACS= Digital Animation Control System It was in a centralized center that used to be located in the utilidors underneath the area where Philharmagic is today. That was where park AA's central computer system was. I am pretty sure many systems have been decentralized now. But the original control was in one location for a long time.

it is really more a matter of the circuit boards that operate the servos and hydraulics in some of the older shows have many parts that are no longer upgradeable or were never designed to be able to have firmware upgrades. An iPhone has more computing power than some of those old legacy systems. Plus, it is not so much the hardware has to be changed, but they also need new wiring to be run. The new systems actually require less wiring but would need a higher and different quality than what is installed. Originally, these shows were run off of old magnetic tape programming. I'm pretty sure those systems have been eliminated and replaced. But a lot of the older control systems remain to actually operate the AA's. I am not aware if any of the AA's in CBJ have ever been replaced or if they have just received upgrades and refurbishment along the way. I am guessing the later based on some conversations I have had with people at Disney. I could be incorrect in that. Getting back to some of the older control systems, they don't offer as much feedback on current positions of various parts as the new control systems do. So, if something gets out of normal position, it is not as able to detect it and correct the position. Hence, once you changed the program, sometimes you need to small manual adjustments to get the motion range correct. This is not really needed in newer AA's as the system has a much higher level of feedback. That is how it was explained to me about 10 years ago. So it is very possible there have been changes I am not aware of.

Buried20KLeague

If it is true that Blood on the Saddle is being cut, it'll be a sad day for me.

Not that any of you care, but... :confused:

One of my only memories from my first trip to WDW (I was 5 years old), was seeing CBJ with my parents, and my dad lauging so hard at Blood on the Saddle that he was literally crying. My dad, like many from that time I guess, is a stoic guy that just didn't do that. He just never laughed completely uncontrollably. That moment has stuck with me some thirty-something years later, fairly clearly.

I love the fact that I can take my kids and see that show, and still re-live that moment in my head as I sit there and listen to Big Al. Decades later, it's still there for me whenever I want it.

Whatever the reason for the potential cut, it's not welcome. The only thing I've ever written to Disney about was the closing of the AC (which got me two different phone calls from two executive offices), but if this comes to pass, they'll receive a second one from me in defense of the CBJ.

prberk

One of my only memories from my first trip to WDW (I was 5 years old), was seeing CBJ with my parents, and my dad lauging so hard at Blood on the Saddle that he was literally crying. My dad, like many from that time I guess, is a stoic guy that just didn't do that. He just never laughed completely uncontrollably. That moment has stuck with me some thirty-something years later, fairly clearly.

I love the fact that I can take my kids and see that show, and still re-live that moment in my head as I sit there and listen to Big Al. Decades later, it's still there for me whenever I want it.

Whatever the reason for the potential cut, it's not welcome. The only thing I've ever written to Disney about was the closing of the AC (which got me two different phone calls from two executive offices), but if this comes to pass, they'll receive a second one from me in defense of the CBJ.

Why don't you write them BEFORE the change, so that it has a better possibilty of not happening? It is easier to prevent a change than to reverse it.

Buried20KLeague

Why don't you write them BEFORE the change, so that it has a better possibilty of not happening? It is easier to prevent a change than to reverse it.

You have a point... Although I'm quite sure that whatever is planned is already chiseled in concrete and can't be effected.

Animaniac93-98

A good reason to finally do a "Walt Disney Treasures" box about Walt Disney World!

That DVD line ended in 2009 with the two Zorro seasons, sadly. It's my understanding that part of the reason is its two biggest supporters within the company (Dick Cook and Roy E. Disney) are no longer with the company. That and Disney has been looking for ways to cut costs in the Home Entertainment dvision and low profit margin titles like the Treasures are not worth it to them.

I would love for it to come back though, with such titles as a WDW edition.

DisneyDebRob

Ask 100 people that have seen CBJ, what the best part of the show was, I'm guessing here but believe at least 80 of them would say Big Al.

If Big Al and Blood On The Saddle go, I will never ever set foot in that place again.

The Empress Lilly

Of course we care! It is important to you. And it is important to the Disney experience.

We all have stories like that, memories like that. Different ones, personal to us, but quite relatable. Your story is exactly what we mean when we say that nostalgia is such a strong emotional element in the WDW experience. It's why we go to WDW. To relive old memories, to share them with a new generation. I don't need to see the newest blockbuster tie-in $500 million dollar ride. I go to walk in the footsteps of my younger me and my parents, taking the new young ones with me. Sadly, too many of my favourites have been ripped out, from Future World to Toad and SW.

Big Al and Blood on the Saddle make the CBJ. Without it, they might as well turn CBJ into a Woody meet and greet + gift shop.
Although pPersonally, I don't think Big Al and BotS will be removed.

The Duck

I know exactly what you mean. In my case, it was my father and the Tiki Birds in 1975. He wasn't laughing so much as he was in awe. This was our first visit and the Tikis were our first attraction. My father had never seen anything like the Tiki Birds in his life and he couldn't stop talking about it even weeks after we returned home. All the more reason why I'm grateful that WDW brought back the original (abridged) show. Hopefully, they'll have mercy on the Bears and their fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom