Countdown To Fun saying goodbye.

prberk

The El Capitan and Grauman's aren't in competition with each other. The El Cap plays solely Disney films, with one theater, so one Disney movie at a time. Grauman's is a regular theater, two totally different motives.

I can't believe that you are actually saying that. They compete in that Disney has completely taken over that whole side of the street, including El Capitan; and Grauman's will never therefore again host a Disney premiere (as it famously did for Mary Poppins and several other classics). They both show movies and host big premieres, but one is Disney and the other is never Disney now. They are just as much in competition, from the theatre and tourist attraction perspective, as Disney and Universal. Yes, you can buy a combo ticket on L.A. tours (unlike in Florida), but they will never actively promote each other.

In fact, even a few years ago, when Kimmel first started, you could see a part of the Grauman's Chinese in his opening credits, but just barely. The only reason was that Mickey Mouse's star was in front of it on the sidewalk. But he clearly shows his side of the street.

I am not saying that it is a big deal. Just that I think that they do not have (or want) to promote the Chinese Theatre any more than they do Universal. They probably would have to pay royalties to a property that they do not own.

Californian Elitist

I can't believe that you are actually saying that. They compete in that Disney has completely taken over that whole side of the street, including El Capitan; and Grauman's will never therefore again host a Disney premiere (as it famously did for Mary Poppins and several other classics). They both show movies and host big premieres, but one is Disney and the other is never Disney now. They are just as much in competition, from the theatre and tourist attraction perspective, as Disney and Universal. Yes, you can buy a combo ticket on L.A. tours (unlike in Florida), but they will never actively promote each other.

In fact, even a few years ago, when Kimmel first started, you could see a part of the Grauman's Chinese in his opening credits, but just barely. The only reason was that Mickey Mouse's star was in front of it on the sidewalk. But he clearly shows his side of the street.

I am not saying that it is a big deal. Just that I think that they do not have (or want) to promote the Chinese Theatre any more than they do Universal. They probably would have to pay royalties to a property that they do not own.

Grauman's may no longer host Disney premieres, but they host PLENTY of other. Not hosting a couple of Disney premieres a year is really no big deal. Like I said, there are two different motives here.

The El Cap has had Disney's name on it since DHS, pretty much. Don't you think they would have avoided putting the Grauman's replica in then? It really doesn't matter anyway. Grauman's is a California legend and landmark. It's already a million times more famous than the El Cap. People are going to see and visit it, with or without the replica in Florida.

asianway

Killing the lousy parade and the beyond bad Disney Channel show were decisions made by new WDW Prez George Kalogridis himself.

It was to reallocate funds. As to where they will wind up, that has yet to be determined.
I would love to believe that after seeing these entertainment options and comparing to DLR, he grabbed Danny by the neck and said "shut it down, shut it down now!"

Probably not quite how it went down though...

Alektronic

Surely CTF ends now so cast can rehearse for a new parade do summer (3 weeks rehearsal time for a monstrous summer parade?) that will give time for re-theming of the floats?

Just a thought!

No more parades at the Studios. DHS is getting out of the parade business. Some of my friends who work in Studio Parade Maintenance were told they are shutting down the Parade Maintenance and other support depts. They are tearing the down the buildings and getting rid of everything and people will be transferred to other depts that have openings. This supposed to happen on Apr. 4.

Cmdr_Crimson

Grauman's may no longer host Disney premieres, but they host PLENTY of other. Not hosting a couple of Disney premieres a year is really no big deal. Like I said, there are two different motives here.

The El Cap has had Disney's name on it since DHS, pretty much. Don't you think they would have avoided putting the Grauman's replica in then? It really doesn't matter anyway. Grauman's is a California legend and landmark. It's already a million times more famous than the El Cap. People are going to see and visit it, with or without the replica in Florida.

Yep they have one in Madrid at Parque Warner..Showing Marvin The Martian in The Third Dimension and they don't have a Hat blocking theirs..
parquewarner165.jpg

PhotoDave219

Disney’s Hollywood Studios continues to offer numerous other shows for Guests, including Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!, Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage and the newly updated Disney Junior – Live on Stage!.
Why are you doing this?
We regularly and carefully review the entertainment offerings in our parks and make adjustments as part of our normal course of business.
Is a new parade being developed for Disney’s Hollywood Studios?
Although we are not adding a new parade at this time, we are always evaluating and refining ourofferings and considering new ideas to build upon Disney stories

THAT is a most impressive line of Bull(Pooh!). Granted, thats the same attitude and lines of Bull(Pooh!) that management takes with the guests.

asianway

No more parades at the Studios. DHS is getting out of the parade business. Some of my friends who work in Studio Parade Maintenance were told they are shutting down the Parade Maintenance and other support depts. They are tearing the down the buildings and getting rid of everything and people will be transferred to other depts that have openings. This supposed to happen on Apr. 4.
Tearing down the buildings makes me think something else is afoot. I mean, why tear down a building you MIGHT need at some point in the future if there is no immediate need for its footprint?

mm52200

Cool TDO, real cool. Like someone else said I really hope this is because they are starting work on something else there. But there's really no reason they couldn't of anticipated this and built new structures already so DHS could keep on with having parades.

GiveMeTheMusic

Which is funny, because TCL is a Chinese company. Now it really is a Chinese theatre! Hilarious.

Seriously though - removing the parades department? I also find it hilarious that the purpose of this move (which I support, CTF was poop) was to reallocate funds - that that EVER has to happen at a money printing place like WDW blows my mind.

DLR is canning the Voices of Liberty in April, because the new Fantasy Faire and Magical Map shows are killing the budget. With the money they rake in every day, can they really not afford an acapella group? The mind reels.

Figments Friend

-
Thank you for this insight Alektronic. With the buildings being removed, it does indeed sound like land is being cleared for something else in the future.
I know some years ago there was talk of expanding and all the studio production buildings behind Animation and TSMM were going to be leveled. Whatever costume/maintenance shops were still operational were going to be moved elsewhere and the backstage parking lot shrunken. Nothing ever happened...but perhaps the target area has just changed?

A shame somewhat that parades are being pulled though...not that i was a fan of the currant incarnations. A shame that it seems DHS is ditching the parade offering concept all together.

Live entertainment at DHS is important , maybe even moreso then the other Parks, since the theme is show business and the entertainment industry.
Phasing out live entertainment all together would be dissapointing, but of course it saves Disney some big bucks cutting back on the offerings roster.

TP2000

Killing the lousy parade and the beyond bad Disney Channel show were decisions made by new WDW Prez George Kalogridis himself.

Ah, that makes sense. George K. killed the horrible Disney Channel Rocks show in Anaheim after one season a couple years ago, so it makes sense he got to Orlando and said "Yikes! This tacky old thing is still playing here?! Are you kidding me?"

And the not-good Countdown To Fun Parade was a dramatically shortened, understaffed and hacked up version of two previous DCA parades. Again, George had a direct point of reference from superior entertainment performing at Disneyland Resort, and he thought "You call this a parade? And you say the word 'parade' with a straight face?"

No wonder they both get killed off in his first 90 days in Orlando. George has a lot of work cut out for him. Although one could easily imagine his reactions and feedback were a tad more professional than my own quotes attributed to him in red above. :cool:

Figments Friend

It was to reallocate funds. As to where they will wind up, that has yet to be determined.

Hopefully the funds will not go towards trying to straighen out all the issues with Next Gen......
:confused:

drew81

Not that it will make up for the loss of a parade, but characters will be added for meet n greets at the hat. They will be there throughout the day instead of just in the morning. No word on what characters these will be.

JimboJones123

The crazy side of me could see half the parade route under construction if they totally blow up the park. The walkway between the lake and AI GONE. AI and Sounds Dangerous GONE. ABC CS and walkway in front GONE. Maybe even Sci-fi gone or moved.

If they really blow that area up, it is about the size of the new Transformers area at Universal. I wouldn't limit that to a Monsters Inc ride either. Maybe a whole indoor Pixar, Lucas, or heck even something new pavilion. Fantasia? Mary Poppins? Muppets? Maybe the park needs a massive overhaul.

Rodan75

The crazy side of me could see half the parade route under construction if they totally blow up the park. The walkway between the lake and AI GONE. AI and Sounds Dangerous GONE. ABC CS and walkway in front GONE. Maybe even Sci-fi gone or moved.

If they really blow that area up, it is about the size of the new Transformers area at Universal. I wouldn't limit that to a Monsters Inc ride either. Maybe a whole indoor Pixar, Lucas, or heck even something new pavilion. Fantasia? Mary Poppins? Muppets? Maybe the park needs a massive overhaul.

It does feel like they are going to go nuclear with this park. I wonder if it will still be a 'studios'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom