Countdown To Fun saying goodbye.

SirLink

Parades are over rated in general and create too many logistical problems. However there are places and times they are great features such as MSEP. Sometimes less is more and EPCOT proves you do not need parades to have a successful theme park.

Looking forward to more 'Studios' changes.

But Tapestry of Dreams was good though ... o_O

ToTBellHop

Parades are over rated in general and create too many logistical problems. However there are places and times they are great features such as MSEP. Sometimes less is more and EPCOT proves you do not need parades to have a successful theme park.

Eh...parades are classic Disney. And I don't think they are over-rated (as a general statement). WDW's current offerings are stale and uninspiring for 2013, but it does not have to be so. Some of Disney's other properties continue to get fantastic parades. I would not use the argument that "Countdown to Fun is lame" to argue that we therefore should have no parade at DHS. DHS had some great parades in the 90s when they used to have a new parade practically yearly for the current animated feature. It was successful cross-marketing and we, the guest, won because there was always something new to see. Then Disney got lazy with its parades at the start of the 2000s. There is no excuse for the current showing of two 12-year old parades and one 35-year old parade.

aladdin2007

Eh...parades are classic Disney. And I don't think they are over-rated (as a general statement). WDW's current offerings are stale and uninspiring for 2013, but it does not have to be so. Some of Disney's other properties continue to get fantastic parades. I would not use the argument that "Countdown to Fun is lame" to argue that we therefore should have no parade at DHS. DHS had some great parades in the 90s when they used to have a new parade practically yearly for the current animated feature. It was successful cross-marketing and we, the guest, won because there was always something new to see. Then Disney got lazy with its parades at the start of the 2000s. There is no excuse for the current showing of two 12-year old parades and one 35-year old parade.

Im pretending there is a like button for this post, you said it perfectly.:)

WDWYankee15

Perfectly stated. Also let's remember that this is DISNEY WORLD. The heart of Disney is their characters and stories. Regardless if you (or your kids) want to "meet" characters or not, generally this is only place that you "see" most of the characters when it comes to Disney World. There are some great rides that allow the stories and characters come alive, but "seeing" the characters no one can dispute that that it the stories and characters coming to live. Since Disney has focused the meet and greets in WDW to more scheduled, location based meetings, as oppose to "random" character "sightings," and the fact that it is generally the FAB 5, Pooh, and Princesses everywhere in every park, parades are the only place for some people's (kid's) favorite characters to be "seen" and come alive.

In recent years, they have tried to make the parades a bit more interactive (Move It! Shake It! and Block Parade Bash) This seems like a good idea to allow kids to see and interact with characters. Parades also eat huge amounts of people for an extended period of time. That is an important fact.

I cannot agree more that just because a current parade (or one that has lasted for over 12 years in one form or another) does not meet your expectations or you feel is poorly done, is not a reason to discontinue parades. Rather it is just the opposite. Understand they present the opportunity for unique entertainment and interactive moments and that opportunity should be seized with creative and new immagination to make these offers even better, not die.

To borrow from another thread... many agree that Journey Into YOUR Imagination is a horrible ride that is not cohesive and was thrown together when there was outcry that Figment was left out of the redesigned ride years ago. However no one on that thread is advacating to close Imagination pavilion and let it go the way of Wonders of Life. They are all advacting that something new, something fresh be brought to area.

RSoxNo1

The one labeled "Entertainment Costuming"
Thanks RAXIP, it doesn't look like that's particularly accessible if it was just a shop. I could see that area being used for future Star Wars/Lucas expansion but just putting a shop back there doesn't make much sense.

Edit: Having said that, getting rid of Indiana Jones and Backlot Express creates a huge expansion spot.

djlaosc

At this point it's hard to point to "a new shop" as a viable rumor here. Can anyone identify what building is the parade maintenance building?

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=28.3554671&lon=-81.558348&z=18&l=0&m=b

If only Disney could get rid of all of the backstage buildings (I know that it wouldn't be possible to get rid of them all)...

There are...
  • the buildings behind Star Tours/Indiana Jones
  • a whole row of buildings between Catastrophe Canyon (Operations Support to Studio C.E.P.)
  • The "Cast Member Costume Center", "Studio Bungalows" and the car park beside the Animation Building
  • "Operations Building 3" and the car park beside it
  • The car park between Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror
and that's before you get to
  • ABC Sound Studio Building - Empty/Not Public Year Round
  • Premier Theater - Empty/Not Public Year Round
  • The building that was going to get the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster - Empty/Not Public
  • A plot of land behind the Beauty & The Beast Show - Empty
If only they could do anything about all of these buildings (again, I know, not really possible - could they move all the parking to Flamingo Crossings and bus everyone in? ;) ), then they wouldn't necessarily have to start looking at changing roads around...

doctornick

So, is this change for the parades just about saving money? Or is it about using the parade buildings for other uses. That's a big difference so I'm curious if anyone knows for sure. Yes, I know it can be both.

If the parade building space is being considered for future expansion of guest areas, given the location combined with the surveys, it has to make one think about the possibility of a Star Wars land near Star Tours by using the Backlot Express and the current backstage area. That's a large enough plot for a restaurant (Mos Eisley Cantina), store and 1-2 attractions. And that's not even considering using the essentially vacant Sounds Dangerous space on the opposite side of the path (formerly considered for a permanent Jedi Training Academy attraction).

doctornick

If only Disney could get rid of all of the backstage buildings (I know that it wouldn't be possible to get rid of them all)...

There are...
  • a whole row of buildings between Catastrophe Canyon (Operations Support to Studio C.E.P.)
  • The "Cast Member Costume Center", "Studio Bungalows" and the car park beside the Animation Building

I mentioned in another thread that if the access road to the parking lots gets diverted as rumored, then you could use the current road space to house displaced backstage buildings.

RSoxNo1

There are...
and that's before you get to
  • ABC Sound Studio Building - Empty/Not Public Year Round
  • Premier Theater - Empty/Not Public Year Round
  • The building that was going to get the Monsters Inc. Door Coaster - Empty/Not Public
  • A plot of land behind the Beauty & The Beast Show - Empty
If only they could do anything about all of these buildings (again, I know, not really possible - could they move all the parking to Flamingo Crossings and bus everyone in? ;) ), then they wouldn't necessarily have to start looking at changing roads around...
There are a lot of options in that area. There was a rumor to move Jedi Training academy into the Sounds Dangerous theater, but Backlot Express, the backstage buildings, and Indiana Jones could all be cleared to make way for a huge Star Wars land.

TP2000

Neither of the last two efforts were parades. Just loud obnoxious traffic jamming noise makers with bright colors.

It would be one thing if they bothered to use some of the Disney catalog for music, but it is basically Shamu Rocks sans whale.

A parade based on classic Disney music? What a great idea! :D

And that parade already exists, and I could easily see it heading out to WDW about 18 months from now.

Mickey's Soundsational Parade debuted at Disneyland in 2011, and is heavily rumored to be replaced in 18 months with a new parade for Disneyland's 60th Anniversary celebration in 2015. The Soundsational Parade is fabulous with a 15+ minute run time, with splashy floats, fun effects, live musicians playing favorite Disney songs (including Mickey himself on drums), and a fresh aesthetic quality to it all that definitely looks like it's from the 2010's instead of the 1990's.

I could see that parade working quite nicely in DHS. Or, Magic Kingdom Park. And it will be available for the move to Florida by late 2014.

What also can't be forgotten is that DCA's Pixar Play Parade is also up for retirement from Anaheim. So that's an option for WDW too.

Californian Elitist

A parade based on classic Disney music? What a great idea! :D

And that parade already exists, and I could easily see it heading out to WDW about 18 months from now.

Mickey's Soundsational Parade debuted at Disneyland in 2011, and is heavily rumored to be replaced in 18 months with a new parade for Disneyland's 60th Anniversary celebration in 2015. The Soundsational Parade is fabulous with a 15+ minute run time, with splashy floats, fun effects, live musicians playing favorite Disney songs (including Mickey himself on drums), and a fresh aesthetic quality to it all that definitely looks like it's from the 2010's instead of the 1990's.

I could see that parade working quite nicely in DHS. Or, Magic Kingdom Park. And it will be available for the move to Florida by late 2014.

What also can't be forgotten is that DCA's Pixar Play Parade is also up for retirement from Anaheim. So that's an option for WDW too.

I'm not ready for Soundsational to leave in 18 months!:( We just got it and it's seriously one of the best parades to ever debut at the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom